• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miller Light gives you shit for their / your past sins, and wants your shit as penance

Feeling awfully judgemental for a company that wants your business.

I thought this sort of "bikini babes selling beer" thing, along with E3 "booth babes" was lame corporate pandering, and it generally had the opposite effect on me. Personally, I always disliked overly sexualized advertising, but wow was it ever better than being lectured.

However, if you do like seeing girls in bikinis when buying your beer, that doesn't make you wrong, and it doesn't make you a bad person. Different things appeal to different people, and that's fine. Judging people for their opinions with this weird retroactive slut-shaming isn't fine. Every one of the women who posed for these pictures made the choice to do so, and I'm sure many are still proud of their accomplishments today.

So yeah, if you don't like being lectured and shamed, don't buy Miller Light either. How about some nice water? It's good for you, and it doesn't come with an agenda.

Also, "among the first" when you're talking about two groups, means you were last, not first, not "among the first." Last. You were last at something that I didn't even know we were keeping score of, because it doesn't matter in the least. Who cares what gender started brewing beer first? I would say it's people less focused on human achievement, or even individual achievement, and instead focused on this type of needless divisive polarization. In other words, people like the ones who made this ad.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Okay women. You can have Miller Light.

kenan and kel nicksplat GIF

Last edited:
I'm old enough to remember when using the word "women" as an adjective (women lawyers, women drivers, etc.) was sufficient evidence of misogyny.

I like how it's somehow their current customers' fault that literally decades ago they themselves commissioned idiotic, misogynistic commercials. But surely I must be a wife beating savage in disguise for not being interested in their completely misguided lecturing bullshit.

Which is beside the point that I wouldn't drink fucking Miller Light in any scenario ever.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
It's no secret that mass produced American "Lite" beers taste like shit. They are to beer what Lacroix is to juice - mostly just carbonated water with the barest hint of flavor. Too many better options to settle for this swill.
Do you consider other lagers to taste like shit as well? Or just American ones in particular? Are the non-lite versions any better?

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Are the non-lite versions any better?
Not by much. If I want a pilsner I'm grabbing a German import like Bitburger, or there's several smaller breweries near me that make a great pilsner that has way more flavor than your standard Budweiser, Miller or Coors.

I for one am extremely pleased companies are coming out and telling men off for being dirtbags for buying their products in the past. Huge marketing campaigns are helpful.

It makes consumer choice much easier.

Boycotting these products saves me money and means I can direct my earnings to firms that are not driven by hypocrisy and misandry. More money to spend on firms that sell their product and entertain me.

Fbh

It's like they don't realize that the audience they desperately are trying to pander to probably drinks some pretentious organic non alcoholic fair trade vanilla soy craft beer.
And the audience that dislikes this sort of woke pandering is the ones that buys cheap mass produced supermarket beer

Dural

Who is green lighting these stupid ads? They can't really think they're going to bring in more customers with this bullshit?

On another note, I'm not an avid drinker but years ago a buddy of mine told me about a beer that was extremely hard to get and was supposed to be really good. It's called Zombie Dust by 3 Floyds. It so happened that I would go past the brewery a couple times a year for work and I'd always stop to see if it was available. One time they had it so I bought a couple cases of it so I could give them to friends for Christmas. Everyone I gave it to was excited to try it but ended up thinking it was horrible. I also tried it and didn't like it, tasted like a Christmas tree.

Ownage

Give an inch, and they take a mile. Everyone's going to bitch about something, because if they don't, they lose power and relevance. This is why you see so many ridiculous non-profits, and so many loud mouthed idiots.

Like your grandma said, ignore the idiots, and they lose power. Social media virtue signaling is just another platform for them to whine.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't drink, so this isn't an issue for me. However, isn't MIller Light like watered down piss? Every avid drinker I know avoids this shit like the plague.

If you’re at a dive bar, usin it for beer pong, or just kickin back with a bro its a perfectly fine cheapass beer. Same goes for Coors, Tecate, Lone Star, and PBR. They’re not good beers at all, but they do the job for a low price for somethin cheap to sip on. Many bars will sell domestics for $2 or $3, not bad at all.

The 2 mainstream beers that genuinely taste like water are Bud and Michelob.

I don't care about women doing self-congratulatory backpatting over historical contributions but men not being able to do it as well makes it a no go. This is further proof to me that suits at the top of these companies are massively overpaid and have no ability to observe what keeps happening to those that indulge in "your turn" idiocy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's the old marketing tactic: "let's expand our sales potential catering to women ASSUMING the typical guy doesn't care"

Maybe for a lot of things in life, guys don't really give a shit, but if that Bud Light debacle holds true for the industry, perhaps marketing managers should lay off edgy beer ads as that's something men will make a stand for. I'd take a bet performance cars and pick up trucks are types of products to not rock the boat either.

Dont get too edgy marketers. Typically, just a good product at a good price with some TV ads thrown in are good enough for big corporations to make a product a success. You dont have to go overboard trying to win advertising campaign of the year awards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom