• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miller Light gives you shit for their / your past sins, and wants your shit as penance

I value a product based on its benefit for me much more so than whether their ads align with my views. Corporations aren't your friend. If you ever thought they were, at any point, you had the wrong approach to all of this.

Its a product. Its a bunch of suits in a room talking about how to try to coerce you to buy that product. Ignore all of it and things become a lot more convenient for you. I csnt say I've ever boycotted a product because I didn't like an ad campaign. I cant say I've supported a product because I liked an ad campaign, but rather because I liked the product itself.

I think about Chick fil A. The dudes running that company are probably not guys id get along with. But the chicken is darn good.
As someone who has worked in customer service for years, I see things very differently. Insulting a customer's worldview is just about the last thing I'd want to do, and one of the most unprofessional and self-defeating things I can imagine doing. So why should that be any different for advertisers?

If a company is so arrogant that they think their place is questioning your morals or your worldview, that's not a company that will ever have my business. Even if I agree with them, that's not their job, and they're being grossly unprofessional. Like I wrote earlier in the thread:

If that's not an established and widely accepted and understood term, it needs to be. Hate Marketing - When rather than welcoming new customers and growing your brand through being genuinely inclusive, you reject and insult your existing customers while trying to win favor with potential customers.

Toons

I get you, but I also think this wasn't even an issue a few decades back because A. companies were waaaay more careful about the messaging in their ads, B. there was a lot more shared culture to make targeting ads easier, C. ads for specific niche groups were harder for other groups to see (and be offended by), and D. corporate types didn't make their own personal preferences well known.

Thats a little bit of a nostalgiac view I think. I mean you had animated cartoon PSAs with your sons favorite action figure telling him that racism was bad.

Ad campaigns have never been the leaders of cultural shift theyve always followed after them. The current cultural shift is seeing a lot more acceptance for LGBT people and a lot more heinous contemptible acts from those who oppose them, when before it was mostly something that didn't get talked about on the regular and when it did it pretty much leaned one way. So with that cultural shift you're going to see ads release that will focus more on rising demographics. Thats quite literally the name of the game.

As for shared culture, I wouldn't say it was shared. I would, instead say that the ad campaigns, in keeping with the theme here, simply catered to the most "popular" or "relevant" one. For example there was a time you didn't see interaccial couples in commercials. Rheyve always been around but there wasn't a snowballs chance in hell you'd see a commercial featuring it. Things change.

Toons

As someone who has worked in customer service for years, I see things very differently. Insulting a customer's worldview is just about the last thing I'd want to do, and one of the most unprofessional and self-defeating things I can imagine doing. So why should that be any different for advertisers?

If a company is so arrogant that they think their place is questioning your morals or your worldview, that's not a company that will ever have my business. Even if I agree with them, that's not their job, and they're being grossly unprofessional. Like I wrote earlier in the thread:

Id argue a large portion of marketing from big corporations IS to make you feel lesser if you dont buy their brand. Its just in a way that isnt directly insulting. This goes back ages to the old video game commercials or shoe commercials. By showing you that one kid could run faster or jump higher or be cooler with those shoes, they were telling you you weren't cool if you didn't have them.

By showing the other console having boring games(the first sonic ad is i famous for this) they were telling you if you didn't want this new thing you were going to he stuck playing boring games.

In the case of attacking morals, I mean... kinda? You could argue there were many commercials that showcased one set of morals as being the "right" one, they just used to be more subtle about it. Thing is subtlety as a whole has died, it barely exists anymore, and thats indicative of a larger issue. Marketing in general is much more in your face, some would even say exploitative in its pervasiveness.

But as for myself like I said, I dont attach my morality to any product I consume, up to a certain point at least. Some others may approach that differently. There is a line that when crossed I cant in good conscious continue to support a product or person but it has to he pretty bad(see: Kanye advocating for naziiism. Haven't listened to his music since.)

Last edited:

JayK47

At least water is safe to drink, right? Right?!

Thankfully I have not touched any of these mainstream beers in well over 10 years. I barely drink now that I am on a keto diet and when I do, it is quality local brew. It is so easy to just not drink this garbage, so just do it. There is no reason to drink any of it unless you want to look like an ass while doing it.

In the case of attacking morals, I mean... kinda? You could argue there were many commercials that showcased one set of morals as being the "right" one, they just used to be more subtle about it.
For what it's worth, I wouldn't approve of this ad either, if it was real. The goal of all advertising should be to try to grow your brand and appeal to your existing customers. If you're insulting potential customers or existing customers, you're doing it wrong.

Kacho

Marketing infused with identity politics will never not be cringe. The vast majority of the population don’t give a shit about any of this so who are the really appealing to.

What's wrong with it?
It’s one of those talking points that will never go away. Kinda like when there’s a football thread and every simpleton comes in to drop a “huuuur duuuur handegg.”

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Regarding Dove soap, is Unilever going to change the image of their other beauty brands? Or are they going to stick to good looking women and models?

QV3aCyc.jpg

k4JlPn4.jpg

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Looks like Dove soap is kind of going the way Miller lite is....

These mother fuckers are getting out of control with this virtual signaling nonsense. WTF. I understood the bullying shit, for sure, it does happen, even to extreme lengths, but... this shit??
Fucking Pseudo Puritans. Same mother fuckers advocate for Female sex workers... so what is the problem with attractive females in games?

What's wrong with it?
I mean, you can't really argue with someone about taste. If you like it, keep liking it. I don't even drink alcohol at all anymore. But the only people I've known who really defend Bud, Miller, Busch, etc. are the "I love this because it's for real people like me!" crowd. I've never known anyone who actually likes the taste on its own.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Regarding Dove soap, is Unilever going to change the image of their other beauty brands? Or are they going to stick to good looking women and models?

QV3aCyc.jpg

k4JlPn4.jpg
I mean, they did post a drag queen, so...

jason10mm

Gold Member
I mean, you can't really argue with someone about taste. If you like it, keep liking it. I don't even drink alcohol at all anymore. But the only people I've known who really defend Bud, Miller, Busch, etc. are the "I love this because it's for real people like me!" crowd. I've never known anyone who actually likes the taste on its own.
If you drink beer instead of water, like you start at 11am when working in the yard and never really stop till bedtime (like my folks) then this kinds of beer makes a lot of sense. I can't pound bocks, ambers, stouts, or really even ales or lagers like I can a typical american lite beer without feeling it too much. So, for me, bud lite or whatnot is a consideration for an entire day spent tubing, golfing, or on the beach. But it isn't even close to what I would pick to drink with a meal or as an evening drink or at a party, which is why I can never understand places that ONLY have those types of beer on tap.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Same. Patronizing fucks.

These campaigns just give that Jeremy guy soooo many new markets to conquer :p

It is so weird that we have created an environment where people want their products to appeal to their political bent. Where did we go wrong when we could buy a product and not have a political message behind it. I just want to buy some soap or chocolate, but i don't want to know what you do here or there or have a guilt trip about your products history.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I just don't have it in me to care.. and I imagine that's how most men feel seeing an ad like this.

It's an ad targeted at women, not men.. my man-brain just tunes it out.

I really just don't care in general about marketing; is the product good for the price? I'll but it.. if not? Sorry, no buy.

Last edited:
Looks like Dove soap is kind of going the way Miller lite is....

Jesus Christ, what a load of shit. I don't even know where to begin taking this apart, there's so much that's ridiculous about it.

One thing that really pisses me off with all this 'we need more girls in video games' is that I'm old enough to remember when gaming was a very obscure hobby. Women and girls overwhelmingly rejected it, decrying it as a sad pathetic waste of time. Men and boys who played games we immature man babies who needed to grow up and get a life.

Then, as soon as the PlayStation comes along and gaming starts being seen as cool women and girls want to get involved. I wouldn't mind this so much if it wasn't for the retrospective fitting of the feminist narrative that they were excluded from the industry.

No ladies, you chose to snub the industry until it became big business and now you can't admit that you were wrong.

Woggleman

I don't get all bent out of shape over stuff like this. They want this response so then they can get on twitter and whine about all the man babies being fragile. Culture warriors on both sides like to provoke and then act like they are taking a stand when they get a response.

That being said it is just plain stupid to insult your main customer base like this. It is okay to want to bring a new market in but if you cut off your foundation the whole thing crumbles. They can bring more women in without insulting men. The ironic thing is that most women I know offline don't even get worked up about this, Even the left leaning feminist women are not this extreme so I don't know who they are catering to.

cormack12

Gold Member
It is amazing how modern products and marketing think the way forward is to treat your core patrons with disdain.

It's simply because they want likes from the socials. Because they feel validated by them.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The only light beer I actually enjoy is Bud Light Platinum... The taste is different enough that it's something I really like.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It is so weird that we have created an environment where people want their products to appeal to their political bent. Where did we go wrong when we could buy a product and not have a political message behind it. I just want to buy some soap or chocolate, but i don't want to know what you do here or there or have a guilt trip about your products history.
The internet gives us the ability to communicate directly with companies. It also gives small companies the opportunity to sell "their story" directly to consumers and not have to deal with the usual retailers and distributors that previously gated access to buyers.

So makes sense that folks can now decide where to spend their money based on the "Story" of a company. I do this all the time when I look for authenticity, honesty, veteran supporting, and at least an attempt at US based production because those are values I have and want to support. Easy to be deceived though, as there are lots of folks that put up a web page with a sob story while they just order stuff from a chinese "mix and match" manufacturer and slap it in a fancy box and a 1000% mark-up.

So I get that the big anonymous corps want in on the action and hire marketers that try to drum up a similar feeling, as if Dove, with its masses of bureaucrats and stock holders, somehow gives a shit about "a cause" in the way a girl making bath bombs in her garage to raise money for her moms cancer treatments does.

I hear rumors that banks are driving this kinda virtue signalling stuff by giving preferential lending rates to companies that score better on some checklist. So Dove has to eat a campaign like this to "earn" a concession elsewhere. Not sure if that is true, or if it's just the circles the C-suite folks move through is more susceptible to this type of pressure on a personal level even if it affects their bottom line in the short term.

If you drink beer instead of water, like you start at 11am when working in the yard and never really stop till bedtime (like my folks) then this kinds of beer makes a lot of sense. I can't pound bocks, ambers, stouts, or really even ales or lagers like I can a typical american lite beer without feeling it too much. So, for me, bud lite or whatnot is a consideration for an entire day spent tubing, golfing, or on the beach. But it isn't even close to what I would pick to drink with a meal or as an evening drink or at a party, which is why I can never understand places that ONLY have those types of beer on tap.
This.

My friends who drink these, at minimum will have at least 3. If it's a drinking-focused event or vacation, easily 6 or double digits. I can't even get a buzz off these "beers", because the amount I'd need to physically ingest would make me puke. Not to mention the disgusting taste.

I'd rather spend $8 and drink just one of these:

Tripel_Karmeliet_beer_Bosteels900.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
Then, as soon as the PlayStation comes along and gaming starts being seen as cool women and girls want to get involved. I wouldn't mind this so much if it wasn't for the retrospective fitting of the feminist narrative that they were excluded from the industry.

No ladies, you chose to snub the industry until it became big business and now you can't admit that you were wrong.
There is definitely a major component of "go where the money is" to this, especially the twitch streamer girl thing. That "74% of women are gamers" bullshit is straight nonsense though, they are counting my mom playing majhong and solitaire, not legions of teen girls bucking down to master Dark Souls or giving up Friday Nights to play marathon sessions of COD. But COD is where the money is so that's the target for this type of stuff, not some visual novel dating sim or whatever.

My elementary school aged daughter does like to play games with me though. She likes TMNT, Boomerang-Fu, and Cuphead, even classic arcade stuff like Rampage. FPS are a bit beyond her though, and I really think she just likes spending time with me more than anything else, while my older son is definitely into the game. I'm not adverse to "desexualizing" female models in a youth oriented game (like if Princess Peach strutted around in lingerie in a Mario game) but for a T or MA title full of blood, gore, rampant violence, it seems odd that a chicks boobs barely held in by a corset is where the line gets drawn.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This.

My friends who drink these, at minimum will have at least 3. If it's a drinking-focused event or vacation, easily 6 or double digits. I can't even get a buzz off these "beers", because the amount I'd need to physically ingest would make me puke. Not to mention the disgusting taste.

I'd rather spend $8 and drink just one of these:

Tripel_Karmeliet_beer_Bosteels900.jpg
Goddamn, there is more head going on with that beer than at a San Francisco bath house :p

I know folks that DELIBERATELY pour straight to generate head, they think it drives out the carbonation so they can drink more "flat" beer without getting a full stomach :rolleyes:

I'm with you, QUALITY over QUANTITY.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The internet gives us the ability to communicate directly with companies. It also gives small companies the opportunity to sell "their story" directly to consumers and not have to deal with the usual retailers and distributors that previously gated access to buyers.

So makes sense that folks can now decide where to spend their money based on the "Story" of a company. I do this all the time when I look for authenticity, honesty, veteran supporting, and at least an attempt at US based production because those are values I have and want to support. Easy to be deceived though, as there are lots of folks that put up a web page with a sob story while they just order stuff from a chinese "mix and match" manufacturer and slap it in a fancy box and a 1000% mark-up.

So I get that the big anonymous corps want in on the action and hire marketers that try to drum up a similar feeling, as if Dove, with its masses of bureaucrats and stock holders, somehow gives a shit about "a cause" in the way a girl making bath bombs in her garage to raise money for her moms cancer treatments does.

I hear rumors that banks are driving this kinda virtue signalling stuff by giving preferential lending rates to companies that score better on some checklist. So Dove has to eat a campaign like this to "earn" a concession elsewhere. Not sure if that is true, or if it's just the circles the C-suite folks move through is more susceptible to this type of pressure on a personal level even if it affects their bottom line in the short term.
The big driver is Blackrock and the GSE score they assign companies that has more to do with social behavior than financial balance sheets. Investment based on someone's arbitrary definition of what makes you socially good, and not on what looks like a solid company. Say the right things get money.

diffusionx

Gold Member
With some IPAs!!

v7d8t2ql2xa71.jpg
So, I used to be like this, then I moved to a place where I was literally surrounded by craft breweries - like five in a 3 block radius. I had “craft beer” friends who said their liver would have exploded if they lived at my house lol. IPA is like any type of alcohol except the most piss beer, it’s an acquired taste.

Last edited:

Fbh

So, I used to be like this, then I moved to a place where I was literally surrounded by craft breweries - like five in a 3 block radius. I had “craft beer” friends who said their liver would have exploded if they lived at my house lol. IPA is like any type of alcohol except the most piss beer, it’s an acquired taste.

IPAs are my favourite type of beer.
But yeah its an acquired taste and I totally get how some people hate them

Lunarorbit

Ah fuck. That is Ilana glazer in the commercial. I really liked her in broad city.

Seems extremely hipocritical of her to start on this as she cowrote broad city. That show is way sexualized. So I guess when bikini models show off their body it's wrong but with comedy you can be super raunchy and show tons of skin.

Really disappointed in her

Tams

It's also the new breed being hired from their indoctrination programs at the Uni's.

Got an email from a potential client who works as a geoscience lecturer at a uni yesterday. The footer of the email was plastered with activism shite. Preferred pronouns, rainbow flag, the works. A Ukraine one too.

Now, I agree with some of those things, gay rights, supporting Ukraine, etc. but fuck me is a professional email not the place to put that. I wouldn't want to receive a personal email with it either to be honest.

Took most of my mental will to not reply in a snarky tone.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Got an email from a potential client who works as a geoscience lecturer at a uni yesterday. The footer of the email was plastered with activism shite. Preferred pronouns, rainbow flag, the works. A Ukraine one too.

Now, I agree with some of those things, gay rights, supporting Ukraine, etc. but fuck me is a professional email not the place to put that. I would want to receive a personal email with it either to be honest.

That's what happens when society lets people muddy the waters bringing their home life politics and crisis to work. Just a matter of how society limits it.

You typically get a lot of that crap from artsy emotional people or people shilling for PR pts. So when you see it, it's unprofessional, but in a way kind of expected. Not too often you'll see that in other kinds of people or careers. How often does someone see a lawyer, guy at the bank doing your mortgage, or engineer promote that? Almost zero. For may people it will be zero seen. Hell, you wont even see garbagemen or a guy working at a Milhouse cracker factory going ape shit on that stuff personally or professionally.

Last edited:

Billbofet

Now, I agree with some of those things, gay rights, supporting Ukraine, etc. but fuck me is a professional email not the place to put that. I wouldn't want to receive a personal email with it either to be honest.

I have noticed this as well with LinkedIn in the past few years. It's now essentially Facebook. Unfortunately, I have to use it a lot for my work.

All the annoying posts start with, "I promised myself I would never post personal stuff on LinkedIn, but here goes....."
And then it's just something someone would have posted 5 years ago on Facebook to stealth brag or cast a victim light on themselves.
And just like Facebook, it's the same 5-10 people that post bullshit every single day.

Don't even get me started on the motivational, "real leaders do this" quotes.....

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have noticed this as well with LinkedIn in the past few years. It's now essentially Facebook. Unfortunately, I have to use it a lot for my work.

All the annoying posts start with, "I promised myself I would never post personal stuff on LinkedIn, but here goes....."
And then it's just something someone would have posted 5 years ago on Facebook to stealth brag or cast a victim light on themselves.
And just like Facebook, it's the same 5-10 people that post bullshit every single day.

Don't even get me started on the motivational, "real leaders do this" quotes.....
Linkedin's feel good PR has been going strong for ages, but the he/him, she/him thing has been big last few years.

I've seen Linkedin include Facebooky stuff like:

- Happy birthday!
- I got married!
- My mom or dad has cancer or died

All the junk you see about bosses pandering to subordinates is such a crock. I see it all the time from current or old coworkers. Behind closed doors or at lunch they are the biggest pigs who grill their own workers. Many I've been to strip joints with. And many are married with kids who didn't even tell their wife "they are at a pub with buddies watching sports". One guy told his wife he's got to stay out of town a few days to do a sales conference. In reality, we went to Buffalo to watch a Sabres game and hit the Sundowner the next day. And he grills his employees and fires tons. Some leader he is. But on Linkedin he's a big cheerleader who is one of those people who is constantly liking posts or doing nice comments.

Dont believe most of the shit on Linkedin.... and that doesn't even include people fudging their resumes. I see BS all the time. Or the best ones arent even ones they claim they did. Its what they purposely left out. They got fired after 6 months and didnt even put that job on their resume. Instead they extend their former job 6 months to fill the gap.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Looks like another company needs a loan to pay the interest on their current loan. What’s that esg score Miller?

Top Bottom