• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mind-numbingly tedious things you did for no real reason

Oresama

Mind numbing fetch quests in WoW to level up.

"I pay a monthly fee, to play a game, that has me fetching leather hide for hours? No thanks"

Nothing against the grind or genre, just that my friends at the time sold me hard on the game so I'd buy into it. It just wasn't fun for me.

eizarus

Banned
Tried getting shiny Pokémon. Reset my game about 300 times trying to get a shiny Lugia in Alpha Sapphire. Decided to give up. Then spent time trying to breed 5IV shiny versions of my main team. Stopped after I got the first one and realised there's no joy from the result.

NinjaBoiX

I got all of my characters to lvl 99 in FF7. To be fair it didn't actually take all that long in the submarine next to emerald weapon, I just watched TV on another screen and just spammed the attack button.

I used to set up endurance races on Gran Turismo on the oval track by using a bit of blu-tac on the analog stick and a chair leg on the X button before I left for school.

Ichabod

Banned
Rep grinds in WoW back in the day. Hit cap on one and saw how many other factions I would need to grind as well and noped the fuck out.

As an aside, I love FFXIV and even though it has rep grinds as well, I don't find them nearly as tedious, mainly because I would do a few quests here and there once or twice a week instead of iron-manning that shit each and every day.

Arttemis

I played Max Payne on PC so many times that I started to implement my own restrictions. I played would restart every level until I was able to kill every enemy with a single slow-mo-dive headshot. If I hit anything other than the head of the enemies, I'd restart the level.

Killed 53,594 zombies in Dead Rising for the Zombie Genocider achievement.

That wasn't for no reason. That was to get an achievement.

sonicmj1

Spending hours installing Fire Emblem Heroes, playing through the tutorial/prologue missions (which requires downloading another 450 MB of data) to get five shots at rolling a five-star hero, and then uninstalling when I failed.

While the two weeks I spent playing the game with that team before uninstalling for good were alright, I don't think I'll ever play that kind of game again.

Samikaze

Grind the same "Lexington" mission in "The Division" probably 200-300 times to get a chest piece that will be useless the next time they add gear.

1000 GS'ing "Tenchu Z" on X360 by doing the entire campaign in every difficulty.

Killing creatures in the Library of "Symphony of The Night" remake on X360. All to get the Crissaegrim sword. Dozens of hours later I ended up giving up.

I tried to play various sides in New Vegas. I helped the Legion, the NCR, the Great Khans, and countless other factions. As I thought I was being slick, it all blew up in my face and I had various factions trying to assassinate me.

Wok

I have grinded 20 K gold in Eternal Card Game by farming the mode called Gauntlet, which gets you to play vs AI. I have taken the fastest deck, and it still took about 9 hours, all this only to avoid spending $10.

mstevens

I have a tendency to do mind-numbing tedious things in games. A few examples are:

Tusker grinding for days in Asheron's Call
Vanilla Rep grinding in WoW
Maxing all story characters in FFT
Beat Bravely Default (only partially kidding)
Loot cave in Destiny
Everything in Diablo 2

Getting platinums in 62 games, including these mindless grind-fests:
Assassin's Creed 4
FFX
FFX-2
FFXIII
FFXIV
FFXV
Demon's Souls (read: Pure Bladestone)
Dark Souls III (Concord Kept)
Kingdom Hearts 1 (synthesis and gummi missions)
Kingdom Hearts 2
Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories (maybe the worst example here)
Diablo 3
Freedom Wars
God Eater 1 and 2
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA f (grinding Weekender Girl over and over for all the purchases)

I'm sure there is much more that I'm forgetting.

mhayes86

Getting my main party in Star Ocean 3 to Max level (255) and then using item crafting to make a ton of stun bombs in order to fight Lenneth Valkyrie and Freya (hardest boss in the game).

No real point to it other than the satisfaction of doing it, I guess. I was a fan of Valkyrie Profile, so I wanted to see the cameos.

Farmed Mephisto, pindleskin, and Baal thousands of times in diablo 2

One day it just hit me, why am I doing this

I still get the itch every so often though

Hammerdins were awesome in 1.13

Sölf

Grinding Shaohao Reputation in WoW. My god was that horrible. The only way to get rep was to kill mobs. A lot of mobs. And unlike you wanted to kill EVEN MORE mobs, you had to go to the hard ones which actually could kill you if you didn't pay attention. Now of course, reputation farm groups existed, but I missed them because I paused most of MoP pasts Throne of Thunder. So... I had to that either alone or with 2 friends. It was just mind numbingly boring.

I dread the fact that I have to do that at some point with the WoD reps, as I missed most of thet expansion and don't have a single rep higher than revered.

spectyre

Podcasts & Mass Effect 2 mining (plus a glass of red wine) were my chillout thing when that game came out. It was great. Hence I never experienced the intensely negative reaction to ME2 mining that inevitably surfaces in "most boring minigames" GAF threads.

I came to post this. Depleted every planet in the system.

Steejee

Discounting all the time wasted in WoW Vanilla, I think the biggest was the end of the Asheron's Call beta. They did a huge, awesome end of the world event with lava and destruction everywhere. A few players and myself, for no discernible reason, decided to run between two towns. On the one hand, it was a pretty neat run and we saw some neat baddies. On the other...it took like three hours and a few hours after finishing the run our characters were deleted and beta was over.

d00d3n

I got the Knights of the Round summon and beat Emerald and Ruby Weapon in Final Fantasy VII in my youth.

seriously, filling up a beautiful world with meaningless bullshit has ruined gaming for an entire generation

I fear what Dragon Age: Inquisition means for Mass Effect

I also remember two guys once scammed me as a kid, one in one place was saying they'd trade black armour for rune armor or something, another saying they'd trade adamantium armour for black armour....Being a dumbass 5th grader backwith OG runescape I of course took the bait, lol.

i remember the dude cheated me with the bronze armor for 50K gold and the adamant one im sure paid what a full rune set costs.

then some other dudes befriended me and after some runs in the wildy PKing they got my trust so they asked me this time to wear my full rune set to hunt a bit deeper and so i did like a sucker. when they took me to the lava place where one of the devils spawned i was received by a whole group of their friends among them the dudes we previously killed. that shit was ice cold lol

after that i became a lone wolf and built my guy as a PKer, lean without bloating stats like prayer, magic or ranger (since they raise your HP and your level)

I farmed the cyclops in witcher 3 just so I could wear the full mastercrafted ursine set early. I really like the look of that set so I guess I got something out of those hours of grinding.

Top Bottom