• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MINDHUNTER |OT| Netflix Original Series - Oct 13

Linkura

Stopped watching after episode 3. I love the premise and the serial killers' performances. But I can't stand Holden and there just feels like there's something missing to keep my interest. It's not just that it's slow moving. I can't really put my finger on it.

Aurongel

Stopped watching after episode 3. I love the premise and the serial killers' performances. But I can't stand Holden and there just feels like there's something missing to keep my interest. It's not just that it's slow moving. I can't really put my finger on it.
I'm not bothered by it but I do think you're touching upon a very valid criticism of the show.

There isn't really a strong throughline tying many of these individual cases together. The relationship between the two leads is indeed strong but it's more philosophically interesting than emotionally engaging. For many, that makes it difficult to care for them both.

JOKERACN7

I finished it too

Holy shit, what a ride, loved it !

Man I hope other legendary directors jump on the TV Series train and embrace us with their talent, just like the way David Fincher is doing, splendid job!

Ros8105

I'm on episode 7 now. I like the show a lot, nice atmosphere and all that. But the Holden and GF stuff is so boring, man. I could have skipped all those scenes and I don't think I would have missed out on anything.

JOKERACN7

I'm on episode 7 now. I like the show a lot, nice atmosphere and all that. But the Holden and GF stuff is so boring, man. I could have skipped all those scenes and I don't think I would have missed out on anything.

Those scenes are critical to his character development

I finished it too

Holy shit, what a ride, loved it !

Man I hope other legendary directors jump on the TV Series train and embrace us with their talent, just like the way David Fincher is doing, splendid job!

watch the Knick. Soderbergh directed all episodes of both seasons and its damn good.

Timeaisis

Just finished. Loved the show. It was a little slow at times, but the characters are so strong, I don't care. Really love Bill Trench as a character.

I think Holden shares
a bunch in common with the psychopaths he interviews.
He's not there, obviously. But he is an extreme narcissist.

I absolutely loved the ending sequence. Sweet song choice, too.

_Ryo_

I'm currently watching the first episode and the dialogue seems so forced. Someone pls tell me it gets better.

Ashhong

I’m a complete idiot. Can someone explain the last 5 minutes or so for me? I’m also not familiar with the guy they kept showing in the intro. I thought they would do more with him

I’m a complete idiot. Can someone explain the last 5 minutes or so for me? I’m also not familiar with the guy they kept showing in the intro. I thought they would do more with him
its a famous serial killer. If you want to know who Its been mfntioned alot in this thread

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a complete idiot. Can someone explain the last 5 minutes or so for me? I'm also not familiar with the guy they kept showing in the intro. I thought they would do more with him

He's the BTK killer probably the most infamous serial killer in history.

He will probably be a constant background theme until he's featured in a later series.

jett

D-Member
This was great. Just when I was thinking of quitting Netflix, they come out with a show of this caliber.

The first episode was kinda rocky but it got good real quick.

Those scenes are critical to his character development

Yeah but let's face it, the actress playing his girlfriend is dreadful.

Ashhong

He will probably be a constant background theme until he's featured in a later series.

Oh I didn’t even think about having him in the future seasons. That’s good then.

so Holden was just having a panic atttack right? He wasn’t drugged or something in the end

Timeaisis

Panic attack.

And what a fucking scene that was. Powerful stuff.
He's not immortal after all!
A perfect ending to S1, if you ask me.

Really liked the actors that portrayed Kemper and Trench, they did a hell of a job. And Holden has kind of this Spock-like cold, emotionless delivery, in a good way.

Just finished it, absolutely gutted now because I enjoyed it so much. It has also jump started my slightly unhealthy fascination in serial killers again, my poor wife is going to have to listen to me talk about them and witness my slow decent into books and websites...again.

Can't wait for season 2. Oh, and Holden just always made me think of Dennis from Always Sunny, some scenes were comical because of it.

I was unsure if they are actually going to make him BTK, considering his very long down times between murders and his arrest being so long after when the show is set. I was just assuming he's heavily influenced by Dennis Rader

Worth watching after ep2?
I mean ai like the show but i feel like there’s something missing, does it get any more interesting?

Worth it to keep going if I didn't love ep1?

Edit: I see others are wondering the same thing.

Episode 1 is the worst episode.

It gets much better in episodes 2-3 and does a good job of maintaining that level of quality consistent throughout the rest of the season.

Stick with it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I loved Holden's arc.
Going from eager self-starter and soft-hearted sensitive boyfriend to total narcissistic dick (at work and at home) and then fucking himself and collapsing into a heap at the end. It's a good contrast to how other characters may have appeared to be antagonistic to his methods, but by the end you see that they were just even-keeled and responsible compared to Holden.

JOKERACN7

This was great. Just when I was thinking of quitting Netflix, they come out with a show of this caliber.

The first episode was kinda rocky but it got good real quick.

Yeah but let's face it, the actress playing his girlfriend is dreadful.

Hmmmm, don't know, I wouldn't say her acting was special or something, I guess it got the job done
And honestly, I don't know how you can objectively define a bad acting in a movie ot a tv series, do you have any criterion?I mean what traits about her acting made you not like it?

JOKERACN7

I loved Holden's arc.
Going from eager self-starter and soft-hearted sensitive boyfriend to total narcissistic dick (at work and at home) and then fucking himself and collapsing into a heap at the end. It's a good contrast to how other characters may have appeared to be antagonistic to his methods, but by the end you see that they were just even-keeled and responsible compared to Holden.

Exactly
Kinda reminded me of myself, I was quite much relating to him, and I was like "oh man I gotta be careful to not end up like him" lol

I like the show, I think it took too long for it to figure out what it wanted to be about though. I don't think the last scene excuses the way the early season was handled. They call that the Mass Effect.

I'm surprised they picked
the BTK killer to be the guy at the start given how long it took for him to get caught. Would have thought they might have done Dahmer or Bundy.

Squire

Banned
That Empire interview with Fincher is great. I don't get the sense Penhall is gone though? Finch only has good things to say about him. He was the one that came up with the idea to fictionalize the main cast even while keeping real names on the killers and the more prominently known victims. He said he couldn't be so beholden to the literal experiences of Douglas and Ressler if he was going to write good drama and the team seemed to agree that change was the key to getting to make the show as they envisioned it.

duckroll

That Empire interview with Fincher is great. I don't get the sense Penhall is gone though? Finch only has good things to say about him. He was the one that came up with the idea to fictionalize the main cast even while keeping real names on the killers and the more prominently known victims. He said he couldn't be so beholden to the literal experiences of Douglas and Ressler if he was going to write good drama and the team seemed to agree that change was the key to getting to make the show as they envisioned it.

Penhall is almost certainly gone, but everyone has good things to say about him. The real reason behind the departure might be logistical as much as creative though.

https://writerlyblogblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/24/joe-penhall-the-interview-part-2/

[The situation] was complicated. HBO offered me a creator/exec producer deal which means they would pay for me to go and live in America and run a writers’ room. They said [Penhall puts on Hollywood accent] do you want the whole pie, do you want a slice of the pie, do you want an iddy bit, what do you want?

And I said I want the whole pie, expecting to go to America and do it and then Fincher
HBO and took it to Netflix where he was comfortable and between them they cooked up this idea that I wouldn’t go out to America and run the writers’ room, he wanted to run it​
, which I was happy with because by then it was 3 years later and I didn’t want to go, my kids were in school so we agreed on this virtual writers’ room, spoke to them on the internet [and] occasionally flew into town.

[Fincher] wanted me to hire English writers and I couldn’t find English writers that I liked enough to do it or to get their head round it. He’s one of those, he likes the English, he’s an anglophile, he thought it was much better I was able to look them in the eye when we were working.

It ended up much better for me to get LA writers. The women that I wanted were all from LA and lived 2 miles from the office it turned out. They were very classy writers, they’d written Mad Men, had Emmy awards. They couldn’t really be part of a writers’ room and be bossed around and paid a pittance and made to rewrite these 25 times. I commissioned them, I paid them, I got them to do 2 rewrites and then after that I had to do it.

In the end it proved very difficult to make work. It’s shot now and we’re waiting to come out. I don’t know what’s going to happen in terms of season 2, 3, 4 and 5 because that model is probably unworkable. Me writing 7 episodes and 3 Emmy award-winning writers writing the other three, it’s high maintenance.

Hollywood works on a room full of up-and-comers who are good but will do anything for a pittance.​

Seesaw15

Overall great season of TV but I found the whole business with Principal to be preposterous. The show wanted grey in a very black and white situation.

HoJu

I hope Fincher directs the whole next season. The first two episodes were so much more visually interesting then the rest. Im only on 8 though.

Overall great season of TV but I found the whole business with Principal to be preposterous. The show wanted grey in a very black and white situation.

It's grey from Holdens perspective

The FBI can't get involved in those kind of cases
I hope Fincher directs the whole next season. The first two episodes were so much more visually interesting then the rest. Im only on 8 though

I thought he directed a few in between. There is definitely a huge difference in how the show looks between directors though

duckroll

I hope Fincher directs the whole next season. The first two episodes were so much more visually interesting then the rest. Im only on 8 though.

He directs the last two episodes too.

That story is really about Holden and his own issues.

Exactly. When I bought it up previously, everyone was jumping on the "but the guy deserved it" angle, when I feel that isn't the point. Yeah he did, no one feels sorry for him, that's not the point. It's about how Holden handled it, and what it meant to him. It isn't about right or wrong so much as process and losing yourself up your own ass.

jett

D-Member
I thought Fincher directed the worst episodes of the bunch (the first two). I watched this show without knowing Fincher's involvement, and my first thought was "this looks like low-rent David Fincher..." lol.

Hmmmm, don't know, I wouldn't say her acting was special or something, I guess it got the job done
And honestly, I don't know how you can objectively define a bad acting in a movie ot a tv series, do you have any criterion?I mean what traits about her acting made you not like it?

It's like she had no charisma whatsoever. I also had that problem with the main character, but at least he changes throughout the show.

kirblar

An excerpt from Tyler Cowen's complacent class relevant to the show's era:

DMi3i-FWAAY-9nx.jpg

What a different era we live in today. Certainly puts the University/FBI tensions in context.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I started this because I'm a true crime nut, and have been studying serial killers for years. So far I'm enjoying it. I've only finished 2 episodes, I heard it continues to get better. So far it has delved a lot into criminal psychology, which I love, I've always been interested in it.

At the beginning of episode 2, they started off in Wichita and never went back to it, but that had to be
Dennis Rader
. Looked exactly like him. If so, I hope they go back to him, I'd love to see what the show does with him as a character.

Seesaw15

What do you mean?

I get how the Principal story line was meant to show Holden crossing another line and becoming more entitled/arrogant/Mark Zuckerberg-esque I just didn't like the way the show handled it.
If it would have ended with the transcriber asking Holden if this was really an FBI issue or Holden getting the call from the school board it would be fine. The two scenes that followed ( Principals wife somehow finding Holden's apartment and Holden seeing the Principal drinking at the super market) were just really heavy handed. It felt like the writers/show runners were just giving us text at those point.

Top Bottom