• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition |OT| Big Third Party Support From Microsoft

I'm having trouble understanding the world size comparisons people are talking about.

If I were to walk from the starting point in a straight line, how long would it take to reach the edge of the map?

And for comparison, how long would it take on the WiiU/PS3/360?

I'm having trouble understanding the world size comparisons people are talking about.

If I were to walk from the starting point in a straight line, how long would it take to reach the edge of the map?

I'm not positive about this, but will assume the game starts you in the center of the map. Using the largest option available on Switch, the distance to an edge traveling straight in an X or Y direction would be 1536 blocks (more going diagonally to a corner). A block is supposed to be a cubic meter. Google says normal walking speed in Minecraft is 4.317 meters/second. So if it was completely flat land, walking at regular speed from the center to an edge would take about 6 minutes 56 seconds. For the smaller worlds of X360/PS3/WiiU, it would be about 1 minute 40 seconds.

EDIT: Speaking of differing world sizes... I know this game will eventually support world import from Wii U version, and similar things are possible for the other consoles across generations. Do the worlds always come across as the same size? I don't even have the Wii U version, I'm just curious if a player could import their Wii U world but have its entirety surrounded by a lot of newly generated land.

Dremorak

Banned

Its impossible to say because the world is randomly generated and the height variation would make it difficult to walk in a straight line. Also the depth is a factor as well, theres caves and things to explore all the way along.

# = 1 map Wii U

medium switch = 12 maps* not sure

####
####
####

I think that is the layout.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not positive about this, but will assume the game starts you in the center of the map. Using the largest option available on Switch, the distance to an edge traveling straight in an X or Y direction would be 1536 blocks (more going diagonally to a corner). A block is supposed to be a cubic meter. Google says normal walking speed in Minecraft is 4.317 meters/second. So if it was completely flat land, walking at regular speed from the center to an edge would take about 6 minutes 56 seconds. For the smaller worlds of X360/PS3/WiiU, it would be about 1 minute 40 seconds.

EDIT: Speaking of differing world sizes... I know this game will eventually support world import from Wii U version, and similar things are possible for the other consoles across generations. Do the worlds always come across as the same size? I don't even have the Wii U version, I'm just curious if a player could import their Wii U world but have its entirety surrounded by a lot of newly generated land.

I'm hoping your maths are off by like a factor of 10 or something. 6 minutes sounds like not long at all to hit the edge of the map. 1 minute 40 sounds terrible too!

I'm hoping your maths are off by like a factor of 10 or something. 6 minutes sounds like not long at all to hit the edge of the map. 1 minute 40 sounds terrible too!

I mean, you don't play the game by walking in a straight path to the edge of the world.

I calculated too and traveling 3000 blocks would be about 11 and a half minutes, yeah.

Damn. Inferno, I get your point, but often on PC when I'm exploring I might be looking for a particular biome type or landscape feature, and I could easily walk a thousand blocks or so.

Keep in mind this is under ideal conditions on a flat world. Most of the time you will have mountains and seas and monsters in your way, and it could take half an hour all things considered.

Cerium

Countdown:
Minecraft Switch edition eShop release
t1494550800z0.png

wait is it 6pm EST or 9PM ?
8PM EST, 9PM EDT.
mrklaw said:
Damn. Inferno, I get your point, but often on PC when I'm exploring I might be looking for a particular biome type or landscape feature, and I could easily walk a thousand blocks or so.
FWIW, I read recently that thanks to the limited world size of the previous gen versions, Console Edition biomes are smaller so there's a greater chance a given type will actually exist in a world.

JDdelphin

If a game comes out in a region between 6-9 in the evening and you know that's when it will happen for sure ahead of time...

-why not just say it comes out in that region the next day and make everyone happy by a suprise 'early release' the night before?

Is the answer 'because nintendo'?

I have a feeling the answer is 'because nintendo'

Cerium

If a game comes out in a region between 6-9 in the evening and you know that's when it will happen for sure ahead of time...

-why not just say it comes out in that region the next day and make everyone happy by a suprise 'early release' the night before?

Nintendo is not the publisher and I've never heard of this happening with any other eShop title.

molnizzle

I believe it's "because 4J" in this instance.

They wanted a simultaneous worldwide release and they're based in Scotland.

So no idea when the physical release is? Is it a few months away or like a year away?
They haven't hinted. Looking at the time between digital and retail on past versions...

X360: 13 months
PS3: 5
PSV: 1
Xbone: 2
PS4: 1
Wii U: 6
JDdelphin said:

They can be accurate, or they can be inaccurate. They chose accurate. And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first time a digital release on a Nintendo machine has seen a worldwide simultaneous release? So I don't think the weirdness is just because Nintendo.

kAmui-

Do the console versions have anything similar to the debug screen on PC version? Or at least something that tells you your coordinates on the map? Biome and light level would be great too.

Do the console versions have anything similar to the debug screen on PC version? Or at least something that tells you your coordinates on the map? Biome and light level would be great too.
I was looking up the same recently, since coordinates are extremely helpful for keeping big building projects properly aligned. Doesn't cover biome or light level, but in Console Editions players start with a Map item by default, and coordinates will display on it.

Camjo-Z

The plural of Lego is Lego. They're Lego bricks, Lego construction sets, etc. If corporate ever heard us say "Legos" at work we'd get into biiiig trouble.

Boy I sure do I love playing with Lego® Bricks™ in Lego® Worlds™ on my Xbox One™, the all-in-one ente®tainment system f®om Mi©®osoft™™®™.

kAmui-

I was looking up the same recently, since coordinates are extremely helpful for keeping big building projects properly aligned. Doesn't cover biome or light level, but in Console Editions players start with a Map item by default, and coordinates will display on it.

Okay, thanks! That's good enough.

Boy I sure do I love playing with Lego® Bricks™ in Lego® Worlds™ on my Xbox One™, the all-in-one ente®tainment system f®om Mi©®osoft™™®™.

Also it's not Sony it's SONY. and remember to capitalize the S in PlayStation. Also they're not all wetnaps or kleenexes, most of them are just moist towelettes or facial tissues.

I mean, I wasn't trying to be a snob or anything I was just answering his question with what I assumed the answer to be. I used to call them Legos myself until I worked there for two years and had it drilled out of me ;__;

Also it's not Sony it's SONY. and remember to capitalize the S in PlayStation. Also they're not all wetnaps or kleenexes, most of them are just moist towelettes or facial tissues.

Also you don't "photoshop" a picture and searching for something isn't "googling" it!!!

Man, is it silly that I'm super pumped to get this for my kid? She loved Minecraft so much on the Wii U. So much that she stopped playing with all her toys and stopped going outside. I had to erase the game and make her go cold turkey for the last 3 months.

I'm gonna set limits this time, thanks to the Parenting limits via the phone app. I'm cool with a few hours a day on the weekend, but not if she wakes up at 6am and plays til 9am, when I wake up and still wants to play throughout the day. She gets hooked! She gets her gaming addiction from me. I'm fucking proud!

Shikoba

Normally I wouldn't buy minecraft again... but I think Switch will be the ideal way to play it, for me at least. So I'll bite.

molnizzle

I mean, I wasn't trying to be a snob or anything I was just answering his question with what I assumed the answer to be. I used to call them Legos myself until I worked there for two years and had it drilled out of me ;__;

Also you don't "photoshop" a picture and searching for something isn't "googling" it!!!

Look at the lies in this post. Just look at them.

brb, on my way to pick up the new amiibos to display next to my collection of legos. bitch

Camjo-Z

Yeah, I just find it amusing when corporations try to police what their product is called. I still call the Xbox One "Xbone" for giggles.

I've decided to buy this. It's my first time playing Minecraft. I hope I like it

You will love it. Get bored with it. Pick it back up and play it for hundreds of hours. Get bored again. Go back for another 100 hours.

This game is nuts with how it just sucks you in. Being on a good portable device might be the most dangerous the game has ever been.

Top Bottom