• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I haven't played Minecraft in months. What has changed since hell was first introduced?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
fvUYn.png

My world.

love this game.

Atomski said:
Started a new world the other day and began working on a Mole City while listening to podcasts. Game is so therapeutic.

It is exactly what I do. I either get some C418 or similar music playing, or listen to podcasts. I will sink three hours without realizing it.

bathala

Banned
been exploring these random seeds

I came across a forest burning out of nowhere. I wonder if the jack o' lanterns around it caused it. Also these is in a snow world

EDIT: nvm saw the culprit, an oasis of lava

Awesome Animals said:
I'm sad because whenever I'm in a position to play minecraft, my computer decides to not work so well :(

EDIT: Aww...Just missed first page.

100 PPP Master Race is laughing.

In all seriousness, I feel your pain. My PC hates Minecraft sometimes.

-Yeti said:
100 PPP Master Race is laughing.

In all seriousness, I feel your pain. My PC hates Minecraft sometimes.

Yea, my laptop is five years old. I just got out of school and started a job, so I'm saving up to get a new computer. All should be well soon.

Question, what is this??

Minecraft1-1.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
There's something about Minecraft that always sucks me back in. Even with my MMO effects of not being able to play anything else besides DCUO, Minecraft pulls me in with every update and I can't stop playing.

Awesome Animals said:
Yea, my laptop is five years old. I just got out of school and started a job, so I'm saving up to get a new computer. All should be well soon.

Question, what is this??

birch tree[IMG][/QUOTE]

My computer is only 2 years old and can barely run it. :( But like you, I'm saving up to get a new one.

And yeah, that's a birch tree. Not any different than regular trees besides of course the look.

New thread, decided to fire up Minecraft again (last time I played was in Alpha, impulse buy gone awry) aaaand I still just can't get into it. I get so bored so fast. I need to connect to some other server and see if it inspires me or something.

JackEtc

So after finding out words can be used seeds, I've spent about an hour and a half (that I should be using to do homework...) typing in random words that I can think of and exploring the world it creates for about five minutes.

I was running out of ideas, so I put iTunes on shuffle and started using the artist name that would come on.

Out of all the words I tried I found that "Gaga" was the best world I could get. I think it's pretty neat:

UuIlgl.jpg

Mk0RCl.jpg

FUQH5l.jpg

3S2Bcl.jpg

rUoMnl.jpg

Oybxpl.jpg

I'm gonna keep on this artist name idea. Currently generating "Wolfmother" and "Arcade Fire"....

Gilby

Mejilan said:
Never played it, but I'm kind of interested now.
What kind of system requirements are... required?

My computer is pretty assy and old these days.

My crappy laptop is 5 years old. Other than a little bit of lag it runs okay on the lowest settings.

Forkball

I bought this game last week and I'm enjoying it. I haven't really ventured far past my little base and I just started to build stuff instead of mine all the time. So far I just built a straight up tower. It goes past the clouds, but it's pretty ugly since it's a giant rectangle. I might add some more sections to it to make it look presentable. I really want to dig around the GAF server though, but the update hit at a bad time I suppose.

Blizzard

Banned
The fancy new lighting seems to slow down my 5850 1GB to 35 fps in places, but otherwise it runs okay.

I think Minecraft is a great game, though it obviously could use more improvements. I like that Notch hasn't taken the money and just run away/retired. I like that he actually still seems like a reasonable, semi-humble, decent guy, despite being literally a sudden multi-millionaire, as far as I know.

I don't play it much, but when I do I can find myself sinking hours into just digging or constructing things.

<3

JackEtc

Blizzard said:
The fancy new lighting seems to slow down my 5850 1GB to 35 fps in places, but otherwise it runs okay.

I only have a 1GB 5570, and I get at least 70 FPS with an AMD Six-core processor. I had this card in with an i3 Dual-core and had a lower frame rate.

It may be your processor more than the graphics card. Which would make sense, since the processor has to keep generating the world.

How do you make like.. a roof? I started building a house in a spot I kinda liked, but now it doesn't have a roof and it won't let me set blocks on empty floating space.

wit3tyg3r

theinfinityissue said:
How do you make like.. a roof? I started building a house in a spot I kinda liked, but now it doesn't have a roof and it won't let me set blocks on empty floating space.

Build them off the sides of the top-most layer of cubes

Blizzard

Banned
wit3tyg3r said:
Build them off the sides of the top-most layer of cubes
And hold the crouch button (control or shift, I forget) while you build, since that will let you move as far as possible over the edges without actually falling off, to place blocks below you. If you let go you will fall though, so be careful!

JackEtc said:
So after finding out words can be used seeds, I've spent about an hour and a half (that I should be using to do homework...) typing in random words that I can think of and exploring the world it creates for about five minutes.

I was running out of ideas, so I put iTunes on shuffle and started using the artist name that would come on.

Out of all the words I tried I found that "Gaga" was the best world I could get. I think it's pretty neat:

I'm gonna keep on this artist name idea. Currently generating "Wolfmother" and "Arcade Fire"....
Thumbs up for Frenden texture pack.

benoit489

Neo Member
Gilby said:
My crappy laptop is 5 years old. Other than a little bit of lag it runs okay on the lowest settings.

My crappy laptop is 3.5 years old and can't play the game :(

If you have a decent CPU it shouldn't be a problem. Apparently my 1.7 GHz dual-core isn't cutting it.

Adnor

Banned
Love the game!

Sadly, I have a crappy PC, so I can't use the new lighting system.

Woa, some of you create some awesome stuff, I only have build a little castle connected to a mine. And now I only have a little house, because I tend to generate a new world everytime they add new stuff.

Btw, Hi, I'm new! I'm sorry for my horrible, HORRIBLE english, but I'm chilean and spanish is my mother tongue.

oh oh oh, now I see, you have to kinda build off the sides of them instead of just trying to plop them into thin air. Hmm.. Ok, this is going a little better but it's getting dark and I didn't bring enough wood to finish my roof. I could leave it open as a skylight if I can make glass, that would be pretty cool. Oh, the wiki says you can. Neat. Thanks for the tip guys.

Awesome thread Brazil, glad to see Minecraft OT back on the Gaming side, for now at least.

Here's the current project I'm working on;

2011-02-25_044549.png

2011-02-25_044200.png

And the view from the top - the world is spawned with 'sahara' as a the seed, it's pretty awesome, but you have to go a long way from spawn to find a plentiful supply of wood;

2011-02-25_035751.png

ezekial45

Banned
Just curious, was anyone else creeped out by that fan made Minecraft commercial where the kid takes a block out of that guy's head?

It absolutely made my flesh crawl.

Bison11

ezekial45 said:
Just curious, was anyone else creeped out by that fan made Minecraft commercial where the kid takes a block out of that guy's head?

It absolutely made my flesh crawl.

Haha...yeah, that was awesome. The thing that creeped me out with that video was the kids banshee scream as he ran towards the guy.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I bumped something on my keyboard that has made the movement really floaty. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I feel like I've tried everything I can think of. My sensitivity is high, but when I move the mouse, there is a delay and the camera sort of sways to where I've pointed instead of just going there immediately. Any help would be appreciated.

Captain Pants said:
I bumped something on my keyboard that has made the movement really floaty. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I feel like I've tried everything I can think of. My sensitivity is high, but when I move the mouse, there is a delay and the camera sort of sways to where I've pointed instead of just going there immediately. Any help would be appreciated.

Yeah, it's F8 - not sure when they added that in, I only noticed it earlier today.

ZZMitch

Amazing game, one of my all time favorites. I just want to get home and try out the new update!

But not until Sunday :(

Awakened said:
The whole Yogscast series of Minecraft videos are amazingly entertaining and still ongoing. It starts as a survival tutorial and eventually becomes a grand adventure. And they play player made maps and show off new stuff in patches too. The antics Simon and Lewis get up to are just hilarious to watch.
"Oh CHRIST ALMIGHTY it's a creeper" :lol

Also this thread is missing the obligatory "sure is a nice EVERYTHING you've got there" comic

Jasoco

Banned
See? Now that the thread's back in Gaming, we're getting more people that never heard of the game.

Awesome Animals said:
Oh, I didn't realize he added more variance since implementing biomes.
Wait until you get to a snow biome...

Spire said:
This looks like a FortressCraft clone.
A FortressCraft clone that has made millions of dollars so far. Actually it's an InfiniMiner clone with the concept taken much farther than anyone could have dreamed.

Delio

Well i went ahead and picked this up despite myself. How long does it normally take for your account to get flagged so you can acutally play?

Twig

Banned
Jasoco said:
A FortressCraft clone that has made millions of dollars so far. Actually it's an InfiniMiner clone with the concept taken much farther than anyone could have dreamed.
He was trolling.

YOU FELL FOR IT.

Owned.

Top Bottom