• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

So, is anyone familiar with the Technic pack? I started playing around with it, and it is a lot of fun, but there is so much you can do with it I'm a bit overwhelmed.

defel

So, is anyone familiar with the Technic pack? I started playing around with it, and it is a lot of fun, but there is so much you can do with it I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Ye I played around with it a bit. Its incredibly awesome and I had some really cool things in mind but in the end it all became too overwhelming and I retreated back to the relative simplicity of vanilla Minecraft. Id love to master it and get good at it but I havent got the time or patience at the moment.

Ark

Just so you guys know, I've refreshed the subscription for the Minecraft server running the same package, for another three months :)

Ye I played around with it a bit. Its incredibly awesome and I had some really cool things in mind but in the end it all became too overwhelming and I retreated back to the relative simplicity of vanilla Minecraft. Id love to master it and get good at it but I havent got the time or patience at the moment.

Yea, I think that is how I feel. I may just download one or two of the mods within the pack and go with it from there.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Welp I've managed to watch the first two seasons of Ultra Hardcore Mindcrack in the past week (yeah I know they are on S5 now, I'm catching up!!) and I have to say I find it strangely addicting. I started watching S3 yesterday and I love the premise of it, hardcore PvP to the death. Although so far it's just been Guud building an amateur secret base and killing chickens, still early tho.

Very entertaining vids.

Welp I've managed to watch the first two seasons of Ultra Hardcore Mindcrack in the past week (yeah I know they are on S5 now, I'm catching up!!) and I have to say I find it strangely addicting. I started watching S3 yesterday and I love the premise of it, hardcore PvP to the death. Although so far it's just been Guud building an amateur secret base and killing chickens, still early tho.

Very entertaining vids.

Watch Kurt's perspective of that season he sees more action than Guude. Beef also has a good episode in there. :)

Rokam

Holy crap at this episode of Ultra Hardcore
So far 3 people have visited the village in this episode, so good, Guude almost stumbled upon Vintagebeef's hidey hole but chose the jungle/desert over the frozen lake

Vlad

Holy crap at this episode of Ultra Hardcore
So far 3 people have visited the village in this episode, so good, Guude almost stumbled upon Vintagebeef's hidey hole but chose the jungle/desert over the frozen lake

Yeah, I'm glad at least one interesting thing has happened in each episode from somebody's viewpoint. Of course, my problem is that there's no way that I'm going to sit down and watch 12 half-hour viewpoints every episode, so I usually just watch Guude's and then if someone ends up getting killed or seriously hurt, I'll watch their viewpoints just to see what happened to the player(s) involved.

That was the nice thing about the team seasons.. you could just watch one viewpoint from each team and have a pretty much complete picture of what was going on. On the other hand, though, the season itself ended up being a bit duller since
both teams ended up hiding from each other until one felt that they had an advantage.

I'm the same way I usually watch one person's perspective then just switch to someone else if they die or kill someone. This season the person I'm focusing on is Kurt.

Vlad

I'm the same way I usually watch one person's perspective then just switch to someone else if they die or kill someone. This season the person I'm focusing on is Kurt.

Yeah, I don't know why I end up watching Guude's over other people's, usually. Probably because he's the video that someone linked way back up in the thread and I've stuck with his just out of habit. Still, the FFA seasons tend to be a little dull as far as commentary goes, seeing as most of it's spent with the person just narrating their strategy ("gotta find some chickens", "gotta find some bones", etc), and while it might be the same subject matter with teams, the banter between teammates made it a little more listenable.

I wonder if they're planning on doing two-person teams at all in future seasons. Six teams of two could be interesting.

Also, one thing that Guude mentioned this season is the relative uselessness of potions unless you had the resources for glistering melons (or a supply of ghast tears, I assume). I haven't done any brewing in Minecraft yet, but wouldn't some of the other potions, like Strength, be handy? Also, are Splash Potions of Harming affected by armor? If not, I imagine that the both that and splash poison potions would be VERY useful mid-range weapons.

-Minsc-

Due to un unforeseen oil spill I was forced to do an environmental cleanup. Here's the result of the excavation.

MinscBuild008.png

Also, one thing that Guude mentioned this season is the relative uselessness of potions unless you had the resources for glistering melons (or a supply of ghast tears, I assume). I haven't done any brewing in Minecraft yet, but wouldn't some of the other potions, like Strength, be handy? Also, are Splash Potions of Harming affected by armor? If not, I imagine that the both that and splash poison potions would be VERY useful mid-range weapons.

The thing is that it's incredibly risky to stay in the Nether long enough to get the necessary items for potion-making, and if even one other person has the same idea, you're almost guaranteed to get into a fight. Going to the nether just isn't a good idea in these FFA matches.

Vlad

The thing is that it's incredibly risky to stay in the Nether long enough to get the necessary items for potion-making, and if even one other person has the same idea, you're almost guaranteed to get into a fight. Going to the nether just isn't a good idea in these FFA matches.

If you've got a decent supply of arrows, though, the Nether can be fairly manageable. Ghasts make such a distinct noise when shooting that you're unlikely to get hit by one (as long as you make sure you always have room to dodge). The Blazes are far more dangerous, but since you only need the one rod, it's not completely out of the question to pluck one off at a distance and grab a rod.

All things considered, it seems like it's more dangerous to hang around in the overworld, considering how good the skeletons can aim now. It doesn't take long to throw together a nether portal using the bucket method, and you can always get lucky and pop out next to a fortress, so I figure it wouldn't hurt to at least take a peek.

Of course, after seeing the recent episode
That's what Guude's doing, but he's so screwed at this point anyway that it's really the only option available to him.

Chuckpebble

I just started watching those FFAs today. That stuff's been great to watch. I started by watching Etho and then hopped over to the one's who got kills. Is that whole thing done or do they take have some sessions to go still?

Vlad

I just started watching those FFAs today. That stuff's been great to watch. I started by watching Etho and then hopped over to the one's who got kills. Is that whole thing done or do they take have some sessions to go still?

Which FFA are you watching? They've done several "season" of the Ultra Hardcore. They break down like so:

Season 1: Guude, Baj, PauseUnpause, and VintageBeef playing using the UHC mod with the intent of killing the dragon.
Season 2: Same as S1.
Season 3: Eight-player FFA, adding in Etho, Kurt, DocM, and BDoubleO
Season 4: Team battle, with the first four guys vs the last four.
Season 4b: Rematch of season 4.
Season 5: The current season. 12-player FFA, with Justdefy, Nebris, Pakratt, and Zisteau as the new additions.

Hjgia.jpg

Welcome to another edition of "Dome City - what those two megalomaniacs have been up to now" Edition. We have a huge important announcement, it is far more important than all other announcements. The importance of this important announcement cannot be over stated it is just that important. However first lets see what Margo, Ginny and Gerald have been up too.

Scene : Gerald arrives at 104 Bravo Dome Way to pick his daughter up for another Saturday excursion. He walks up to the door and presses the ultra high tech door bell which fails because Redstone is a pain in the arse at the best of times. Naturally Margo answers the door.

Margo : Well hello there Gerald
Gerald : Hello there Mar.......... Jesus H. Christ what the hell ? have you grown a beard ?
Margo : Oh you noticed this little thing ?
Gerald : LITTLE THING it looks like you glued a bloody Ewok to your face, what are you playing at ?
Margo : Oh Gerald I can't live without you. If only I had made you that damn sandwich we would still be together. But soon I will be able to meet your needs.
Gerald : Erm Marg ......
Margo : No Gerald hear me out, I am taking hormones I have even arranged "male dangling bit" surgery. The Donor was a Sperm Whale that some Japanese whaling ship accidentally shot several times with a harpoon. Soon I will be more man than you ever thought possible.
Gerald : oh for the love of Christ, never mind is Ginny ready ?

Scene :
Ginny comes bounding down the stairs.

Ginny : Hey Daddy poo's notice anything different about me ?
Gerald : Well at least you haven't grown a beard like your psychotic mother ... wait do you have a nose ring ?
Ginny : Yeahhhhh daddy isn't it cool every one is doing it.
Gerald : I think it makes you look like a bloody keyring.
Ginny : Oh this is nothing you should see the piercing on my c..........
Gerald : DON'T YOU EVEN DARE FINISH THAT SENTENCE
Ginny : what ? why didn't you want to know that my cousin had her ears pierced ?
Gerald : Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh your COUSIN
Ginny : DADDY did you think I was going to say "I had a piercing down there" ?
Gerald : ha ha ha ha I did actually, dad's eh always jumping to conclusions.
Ginny : he he yeah oh and I do have a piercing down there too
Gerald : I am getting too old for this shit get in the car. See you later Margo
Margo : Bye Gerald enjoy sitting down whilst you can because after my surgery you will never be able to sit down again.

Scene : Gerald makes a hasty retreat from the house and joins Ginny in the ultra futuristic personal transport device that for some bizarre reason resembles a mine cart.

Ginny : Dad where are we going today, I hope it isn't that farm again. I still have nightmares about what Sebastian did to that poor sheep.
Gerald : Nope no Dome City farm for us, we are going to .....

THE DOME CITY AMUSEMENT PARK

Yes after months of work and complaining Dome City Amusement Park is open for business. The park is open to everyone, from the fine citizens of Dome City to the "undesirables" of Sky City there is no discrimination at Dome City Amusement Park ..... really we don't care as long as you have money you can get in. Speaking of money why not make the spending experience more fun by purchasing Dome City Amusement Park Fun Bucks, they really do make spending money even more fun than it already is (note: not all vendors accept DCA Fun Bucks).

At the Amusement park you will find :-

• The NeoGaf Doomcoaster - The largest Roller coaster in existence, taking you through such attractions as the Tardis, A faithful reproduction of a Creeper and Karen Gillan's Voluptuous Assets.
  • The Zipinator - a fully working Zip elevator that makes extensive use of Redstone circuits and due to lag doesn't damn well work.
  • The Neogafian Gladiators Arena - built by Procrastinator42 this arena of puzzles and challenges will have you tearing your hair out (wigs can be purchased from Gladiatorial Concessions).
  • Evilore9000's Dastardly Maze - if you still have hair left after the Arena then Evil's maze will make you balder than Churchill.
  • The Aqueduct of Moistness - A huge challenging water ride (anything involving boats in MP is challenging)
  • The Ferris Wheel of Nothingness - It's huge, it's round and it doesn't do a single damn thing but you can see it.
  • The Haunted House - Procrastinator42's fiendish mind at work again. It is said the house contains a secret that only 6 million people have found. Will you be the 6,000,001 ?
  • HMS GAF - a faithful swinging ship recreation of the noble HMS GAF that forced those stubborn yanks to start drinking coffee instead of tea the nectar of the gods.
  • USS Dildo - view a 1:1 model of the first human probe to circle Uranus
  • The Kiddie Coaster of Certain Boredom - built because kids kept vomiting on the Doomcoaster
  • Dome City Zoo - see the invisible animals that mysteriously vanished.
  • Hall of Mirrors - laugh at the screams from your children when they see just how ugly they are
  • Meseta's - Dome City's premier nightclub with condoms and rohyphol dispensers in the loo. Nightly performances from our in house DJ "DJ Testificate"
  • The Fortress - You are so going to die in this maze
  • Cinema - a multi-screen cinema with a twist ..... there is only 1 screen.
  • Dodgems - a ride that shows what can be achieved in minecraft (ie nothing)
  • Golemon Arena - yes watch a golem beat the crap out of mobs on demand
  • Impossibru Machine - a machine that breaks all the rules and regularly breaks too.

Plus lots, lots more there are Cafe's to relieve you of money, pubs for you to get drunk in and laugh as your kids receive irreparable brain damage as they fall off the climbing frame in the adventure park opposite.

PII8r.jpg

No expense has been spared (because it wasn't that expensive to begin with) to create an environment designed specifically to separate you from the contents of your wallet.

PMo6u.jpg

Marvel at the cool non-animatronics that don't move but if you squint real hard and then shove a rusty nail into your left eye you might just be able to make out what these models are meant to be.

GLcN9.jpg

If you get lost or don't know who your daddy is, then there is always a handy sign to remind you WHO your daddy is and that is DOME CITY.

xBwzN.jpg

A sign we all know, a sign of our Origin (not a reference to a certain crappy drm infested P.O.S DD client honest Guv'nor). Yes the NeoGAF sign stands proud and watches over us all.

IZqPD.jpg

Yes even Commander Shepard took time out from being pelted with tomatoes, receiving death threats and being denounced as a traitor and a sell out for that god forsaken sorry excuse for an ending in ME 3 (I am not bitter honest I aint) to ride the Doom Coaster. We can only hope the little bastard died on that coaster for that ending (yeah ok I am still bitter).

Later that day :-

Ginny : wow that was like the best day ever dad.
Gerald : yeah too bad I bought all those DCA fun bucks, I can't believe no one accepted them.
Ginny : Yeah honestly the guys behind this make the Disney Corporation look like saints.

COMING SOON

The final dome, this is it. Dome City nears completion with the final Dome affectionately known as Foxtrot. This will be the tallest dome in existence featuring an unnatural and totally artificial jungle environment for people to build and live a tree house existence (ha take that lulu, ban me for using glass will you ? I will show you). That is all assuming the Mayor doesn't F*** it up like this :-

whYDF.jpg

Wool

As always it's an awesome post about Dome City, and about how crazy we are. :)

EDIT:
A little sneak peak at Foxtrot:

iI7eZ.png

EDIT 2:
Launch trailer for MC on 360:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LqZ4_g18xk&feature=player_embedded

Actually looks pretty good from the trailer. Having 60fps locked in is nice, and the split screen is going to be amazing.

How do I never see you or Charlie online if you're doing these big projects? Are you Australian? Great work anyways, I'm going to have to figure out where it is and check it out!

How do I never see you or Charlie online if you're doing these big projects? Are you Australian? Great work anyways, I'm going to have to figure out where it is and check it out!

Live in Texas myself. I'm not on as much as I used to be. Had Charlie ban me the other day though so I can focus on studying for my finals.

I practically live on the server so god knows how we keep missing each other :p . I am based in the UK and usually find myself gravitating to the NeoGaf server around 2 - 3pm every day and I am there till about 6 - 7pm. Then during the evening I will be back on at about 9 - 10ish pm till gone midnight when my old bones are aching.

Grinchy

Banned
EDIT 2:
Launch trailer for MC on 360:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LqZ4_g18xk&feature=player_embedded

Actually looks pretty good from the trailer. Having 60fps locked in is nice, and the split screen is going to be amazing.

Wow that does look good. And 4 player Minecraft split screen? That would be awesome (if I had real life friends who knew what Minecraft was lol)

Also, that last dome in Dome City is just unreal. You guys are psychotic in the best way.

Holy shit, I've been doing single player technic and I was spelunking and looking for ores when an ended an appeared. Freaked me the fuck out and I ran since I don't think I should be attacking them with a stone sword. Lol. Thought I'd share that.

Oh okay, cool. We should do a GAF version heh.

I'd be down as well. Maybe not in the same fashion as them with no replenishing health. Just make a 1,000 x 1,000 map with 8 of us battling it out. I like the Hunger Games way of starting with everyone in the middle and they can decide to either fight there of flee.

ZZMitch

I'd be down as well. Maybe not in the same fashion as them with no replenishing health. Just make a 1,000 x 1,000 map with 8 of us battling it out. I like the Hunger Games way of starting with everyone in the middle and they can decide to either fight there of flee.

Yeah, paulsoaresjr did something like that a while back. It was interesting until the sponsors gave everyone diamond armor.

Yeah, paulsoaresjr did something like that a while back. It was interesting until the sponsors gave everyone diamond armor.

Yeah, no sponsors just combatants/tributes (whatever you'd like to call them)

And I like the idea of the center having items that can be useful to force people together close to the end.

Chuckpebble

Which FFA are you watching? They've done several "season" of the Ultra Hardcore. They break down like so:

Season 1: Guude, Baj, PauseUnpause, and VintageBeef playing using the UHC mod with the intent of killing the dragon.
Season 2: Same as S1.
Season 3: Eight-player FFA, adding in Etho, Kurt, DocM, and BDoubleO
Season 4: Team battle, with the first four guys vs the last four.
Season 4b: Rematch of season 4.
Season 5: The current season. 12-player FFA, with Justdefy, Nebris, Pakratt, and Zisteau as the new additions.

I'm watching 5. Its the first I heard of it, but its very entertaining. I'm having trouble watching though. I keep hopping around seeing how things played out from other's perspectives. Its like watching a season of Lost.

defel

I'm watching 5. Its the first I heard of it, but its very entertaining. I'm having trouble watching though. I keep hopping around seeing how things played out from other's perspectives. Its like watching a season of Lost.

Just watched Etho's video, that ending was great.

There is a lot of empty space in these videos but when it gets tense they are awesome.

My money is on Pause.

edit: just seen it from beefs perspective, perfectly played by etho

Just watched Etho's video, that ending was great.

There is a lot of empty space in these videos but when it gets tense they are awesome.

My money is on Pause.

Pause has the skill to take down Etho, but Etho has the equipment to outlast Pause if it comes down to a melee battle.

Chuckpebble

etho destroyed his own boat, pause will win.

Was it a lilly pad? Apparently a boat and a lily pad collision is something not unlike the scene where the Jeep rear ends a Pinto in Top Secret. I haven't actually come across a lily pad in my old ass beta world, but they seem awful frustrating.

defel

The boat mechanics are fucking terrible. Ive read on Reddit that the boat mechanics will be fixed. Apparently the glitchy mobs in smp have also been fixed in the latest snapshot. Also single player worlds will act like multiplayer worlds soon so we will be able to join each other's offline worlds which is awesome.

Xun

The boat mechanics are fucking terrible. Ive read on Reddit that the boat mechanics will be fixed. Apparently the glitchy mobs in smp have also been fixed in the latest snapshot. Also single player worlds will act like multiplayer worlds soon so we will be able to join each other's offline worlds which is awesome.
Indeed.

The fact that they can break as well just causes further frustration.

The hell was Notch thinking.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
What is all this? Not a single person placing their bet on Etho? You people are terrible! Etho is going to take Pause down.

Vlad

I'm actually pulling for Etho a little. I like Pause more but I feel Etho will take it.

Yeah, right now I'd say Etho has the edge. He's got the enchanted equipment (although his knockback sword might be more of a hinderance), and he tends to be less high-strung than Pause.

Top Bottom