• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Grinchy

Banned
Also realized I was quite fortunate I lucked on building my base on a slime chunk. Considering the amount of sticky pistons I go through things would've been annoying otherwise :p

Well, I'm going to have to go there and kill some slimes, then ;)

I haven't been able to find any yet and I really want to make some fire resistance potions.

Wired

Well, I'm going to have to go there and kill some slimes, then ;)

I'm only playing in my SP world atm, been thinking about starting with some mp but haven't gotten around to it. For me it always feels like whatever I build or make in mp isn't "really mine", best I can explain it. However I do like doing community stuff and helping out and whatnot so maybe.

Also, starting over feels quite exasperating :p

Grinchy

Banned
Don't slimes spawn in any swamp now?

Oh shit, you're right. I keep forgetting about that. That's how I had so many slimeballs in my SP world. I had so many that I never had ot seek them out again haha

I'm only playing in my SP world atm, been thinking about starting with some mp but haven't gotten around to it. For me it always feels like whatever I build or make in mp isn't "really mine", best I can explain it. However I do like doing community stuff and helping out and whatnot so maybe.

Also, starting over feels quite exasperating :p
Oh yeah, I knew that haha. You should come onto the server, though. Starting over is a lot of fun to me, but at least in MP, it's somewhat easier to do. There are things like community farms so you can get seeds from them to start your own crops. Or if you don't want to deal with that at all, there's tons of stuff you can just get from the village and never worry about growing your own (just replant what you take). If you don't feel like going through the trouble of making a nether portal, you can just use the one at your neighbor's house. So there is a lot of tedium you can avoid from starting over since you're playing with other people who have already done it.

I like SP a lot, but MP is much cooler to me just in the sense that you can build towns with roads and stuff. Plus you can be wandering around and find crazy structures you didn't even know existed.

kidko

I only played SP for years but MP is the best forever 1000x. The sense of community is so much fun. I love getting little comments about the ridiculously huge inn I'm building in town as people run past. I would have to disagree and say that things I build in MP feel *more* mine because other people see them and associate them with me, and everyone's style is different enough that your own starts to feel like home.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I only played SP for years but MP is the best forever 1000x. The sense of community is so much fun. I love getting little comments about the ridiculously huge inn I'm building in town as people run past. I would have to disagree and say that things I build in MP feel *more* mine because other people see them and associate them with me, and everyone's style is different enough that your own starts to feel like home.

For me, the best thing about playing MP is seeing what everyone else is building. I've learned so much and gotten so many ideas by playing on Neocraft that it's not even funny. That, and yeah building big projects with a group can be so much fun, and spelunking caves and such with others is awesome too.

I still play a lot of single player because, well I just enjoy the hell out of it. There is a peace and serenity I feel when playing an infinite world of possibilities, all by myself, that is truly inspiring. But yeah, multiplayer Minecraft is fantastic.

Wired

I'd like to join too, might as well try it out and see. Have hit a bit of a creative block in my SP world anyway. My name's wired79

Morokh

Multiplayer is real nice for all of this yes, I must certainly have spend more time running around looking at what other people came up with than building myself since I play on Neocraft xD
That's also why I started with very small things so far on Gafland, so I can get them finished relatively quickly, and not start 10 projects at a time.

BTW who claimed the villager house to make the bookstore ?, cause we really need to pimp those weirdly generated houses to make them look better !, they really look like nothing with all the good stuff everyone built around, and it's the first thing you see when you come from spawn :p

would also be nice to start making paths in the spawn village so we can 'map' the layout a bit more, start to fill small empty spaces with decorative stuff, and it would be easier for newcomers to see where they can build something.

defel

BTW who claimed the villager house to make the bookstore ?, cause we really need to pimp those weirdly generated houses to make them look better !, they really look like nothing with all the good stuff everyone built around, and it's the first thing you see when you come from spawn :p

Thats only temporary anyway, feel free to do what you want with it

-Minsc-

this is why i didnt build at spawn village, too much performance pressure >_>

This is a general shout out to anyone who feels intimidated by the awesome building on the server.

It's not too difficult to make something look good, block variety is the key. :) I know how overwhelming it can feel to build next to "the big boys", we've all been there. Many buildings at spawn village have way more detail then anything I've ever built. I plan to use these buildings as inspiration to improve and add more variety to my own building style. While I believe I have block variety nailed down, the aspect I know I can improve on is depth. This is the best part about building in a community build, you challenge yourself to break free of your comfort zone. :) One final thing, never be afraid to rip and tear. Sometimes you just have to tear down that wall and move it one block to the right. ;)

Morokh

this is why i didn't build at spawn village, too much performance pressure >_>

You know, building simpler things is not a crime :p all the players that build more advanced stuff now have been like that at one point.

If you try to do something that you're not satisfied with, you can always ask for tips in game to the people that you feel are more comfortable with building (and judging by the spawn village we have quite a few )

Also to learn how to make things look better, looking at video let's builds, and trying to re-create what they build helps immensely, and by doing so you often realize that things that look very complicated are, in fact quite simple once you know the trick.

What I was saying about that naturally spawned building is just because it spawned halfway on a hill and looks really out of place with it's 8 block tall cobblestone basement coming out of the ground.

Mengy

It's not too difficult to make something look good, block variety is the key. :) I know how overwhelming it can feel to build next to "the big boys", we've all been there. Many buildings at spawn village have way more detail then anything I've ever built. I plan to use these buildings as inspiration to improve and add more variety to my own building style. While I believe I have block variety nailed down, the aspect I know I can improve on is depth. This is the best part about building in a community build, you challenge yourself to break free of your comfort zone. :) One final thing, never be afraid to rip and tear. Sometimes you just have to tear down that wall and move it one block to the right. ;)

Yeah, that's something that even I struggle with sometimes. Placing that first block for that new project that you've planned in your head for days is usually the most difficult block of the entire build. You just can't be afraid to make mistakes, it's just as easy to tear things down in Minecraft as it is to build them up. Except for glass, I always place glass last because it isn't re-collectable. Unless you have a silk touch pick of course.

I made a community nether portal in town center last night and fixed up the nether side too so that the portals work correctly. Now people won't be bounced back and forth between Panda's and Dmented's portals, lol. Also, soul sand seems very rare in our new nether, it took me an hour last night just to find 17 pcs of it.

Morokh

Also, soul sand seems very rare in our new nether, it took me an hour last night just to find 17 pcs of it.

If you take the portal near koexist's Inn there are plenty near it, will try to place some signs for you this evening if you're still looking for some.

Ugh so Charlie really is building a new dome I can see ... xD

Mengy

If you take the portal near koexist's Inn there are plenty near it, will try to place some signs for you this evening if you're still looking for some.

Yeah I looked around that portal and didn't find any. Found a lot of dirt blocks that someone must have placed, most likely by someone scaffolding out to glowstone, but no soul sand.

Either way I got enough to start my nether wart garden. I'll get some more later on.

Ark

In relation to building depth, I've always found that copying intriguing builds block-for-block is the best way for me to understand that style and the thought process behind it, and then use that as inspiration for other builds.

One thing I'd like to ask is if people could avoid building in the desert to the East of spawn village. I currently have a tiny setup there but I've got a plan for a lot of that desert space.

-Minsc-

Yeah, that's something that even I struggle with sometimes. Placing that first block for that new project that you've planned in your head for days is usually the most difficult block of the entire build. You just can't be afraid to make mistakes, it's just as easy to tear things down in Minecraft as it is to build them up. Except for glass, I always place glass last because it isn't re-collectable. Unless you have a silk touch pick of course..

That is one thing I've never done a lot of, pre-planning. An idea for something to build comes to mind, community smelter for example, then I proceed to build. When starting I have little idea of what it'll look like at the end because the build evolves as new ideas pop in my head. I guess that's just the creative process at work.

In relation to building depth, I've always found that copying intriguing builds block-for-block is the best way for me to understand that style and the thought process behind it, and then use that as inspiration for other builds.

One thing I'd like to ask is if people could avoid building in the desert to the East of spawn village. I currently have a tiny setup there but I've got a plan for a lot of that desert space.

It's really the best way, copy what you like and your own style will fall in to place. Same with redstone, start with the basics from the wiki and go from there.

As for the desert, I'll keep off your toes. :)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
That is one thing I've never done a lot of, pre-planning. An idea for something to build comes to mind, community smelter for example, then I proceed to build. When starting I have little idea of what it'll look like at the end because the build evolves as new ideas pop in my head. I guess that's just the creative process at work.
I do it that way too, but then there's always a point where i wish the base was even vs odd or vica versa.

i was really happy with how my xp farm building was working out, then i went to finish the side wall and i had lost a row somewhere, so the side of the roof tapers down to one block on one side and two blocks on the other. so i got angry and spammed vines all over the wall. -_-

Seanspeed

Banned
I pre-plan anything I build that's not simple. The house I'll be building in GAFLand is being designed in Creative, so I can experiment with it and make it look as good as possible without any limits on resources and pesky gravity. Its just so much quicker to make large-scale design changes this way and its the only reason I ever use Creative. Little tweaks aren't a problem in Survival, but large-scale redesigns can be time-consuming. Planning ahead is definitely more efficient for me, so I can mostly get it right the first time. It also allows me to know the building process ahead of time, again saving me time.

Pretty happy with how its going so far. I'm still a little short on resources on the server, but I might be able to at least get the base down tonight.

Morokh

I do it that way too, but then there's always a point where i wish the base was even vs odd or vica versa.

i was really happy with how my xp farm building was working out, then i went to finish the side wall and i had lost a row somewhere, so the side of the roof tapers down to one block on one side and two blocks on the other. so i got angry and spammed vines all over the wall. -_-

General rule when placing foundations, make it odd numbers, it's easier to have a central row of blocks for many things including roofs.
The only time you maybe, want to go with even numbers is if you want to put a nether portal facing you in your build.

Tear the wall down, rebuild it ! you have the technology ! :p

Vlad

General rule when placing foundations, make it odd numbers, it's easier to have a central row of blocks for many things including roofs.
The only time you maybe, want to go with even numbers is if you want to put a nether portal facing you in your build.

Tear the wall down, rebuild it ! you have the technology ! :p

This is why I loved my little home on NeoCrack.. it really messed with anybody who felt that compulsion to have everything neat and tidy. Made my hideout out of warded blocks which are a pain to make, so it's small.

However, I managed to pack that thing wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling with stuff. Machines, chests, barrels, engines, fuel tanks, you name it. Whenever anybody came over there, their reactions were great.

there's a place on the gafland map id like to set up later. if you look at the dynamap there's an island way to the west with a jungle biome, near a mooshroom island. would appreciate it if nobody builds there.

you know me and my islands.

kidko

oh sweet a Mooshroom island?? I still haven't seen one in person!

Last night I completed the first pass on the roof of the inn (as if you couldn't tell on dynmap). Man, that felt good. So much work left to do to make this a fully operational battlestation / drinking establishment though, like putting up that last wall and finishing the big windows. Oh, and more detail work. Then making furniture, building a loft, decorations... oh and I need to get glowstone, I guess, in order to make those glowing cube lights. Time for my first trip into the Nether!

Pjsprojects

Well from the ten mins look around I must say how stunning the creations are! Both myself and the wife thought we had done some good builds on the 360 version but.....

Also would it be possible for Mrs Pjsprojects to work on the map?

Her screen name is JacksT72

I'm a fan of modern architecture, so most of my builds will reflect that. I'm actually working on a modern looking house on Gafland. Only problem now is finding the time to build lol.

Sarcasm

You need to install forge and you put the shader core in mods folder. Shader in shader folder. And the resource pack in..I let you guess =).

Tips on install order.

1) Use the forge installer (grab recent)..in launcher click forge..and launch it.
2) Quit than put the shadercore in mods folder..launch MC again..check in options for shaders.
3) Quit and put the shader in the shaderpack folder and put resourcepack in the resource folder.
4) Start and ingame select the shader & resource pack.

Quote to see the link to download the files. Leave the zips within the zip file as is, as in don't unpack those.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
v0SCDtc.png

i need to find more nametags on gafland, they dont spawn enough. >_>

Sarcasm

Nice little area, how do you get coordinates y the top of your map.

Forge mods:

ibmHdkZfpreCGl.PNG

Starting from top to bottom:

Damage Indicators is just a target window type thing
IC2 Backpack lets me see armour durability outside the inventory
Inventory Tweaks..you can sort chests/inventory with a click..move multiple stacks at once etc
Shadercore (see above post) is what enables the use of shaders
Zansminimap (voxel) is the map with coords & waypoints.

Mengy

i need to find more nametags on gafland, they dont spawn enough. >_>

I haven't actually found any yet. I used one on my horse, and that was given to me by Bluebren.

I really need to wander like 1000 blocks from Gafville and start a mining operation to find some virgin caves and such...

EVIL

I haven't actually found any yet. I used one on my horse, and that was given to me by Bluebren.

I really need to wander like 1000 blocks from Gafville and start a mining operation to find some virgin caves and such...

Yeh there are very little mines. I remember back in the day they really spawned everywhere, you couldn't find a canyon without at least one mine intersecting, making a huge mess!

now a days the are pretty hard to find. I think you have a higher chance of finding a spawner then a mine

-Minsc-

Yeh there are very little mines. I remember back in the day they really spawned everywhere, you couldn't find a canyon without at least one mine intersecting, making a huge mess!

now a days the are pretty hard to find. I think you have a higher chance of finding a spawner then a mine

I found a mine fairly easy. Just lucky?

limlark

That's me btw. (I hope they let us change our names someday.) I currently have 6 saddles and 4 nametags I'm not using, if anyone else needs 'em.

kidko

That's cute. I'd love a flower system with seeds and hybrids. More gardening in general would be welcome.

You guys ever look at Altas Obscura? Good stuff for build inspiration.

Sarcasm

Nice to see they are adding it..I missed them (plus the many other types like it...especially the ones where they regrow etc).

Top Bottom