• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

AEREC

I absolutely love the game but I too have zero interest in building stuff. I cant get the motivation to build things and when I do start I just give up. The reason why I love it is the exploration, the fact that you can have micro adventures, hoarding valuable materials and creating cool machines. Thats the beauty of the game, there is something for everyone. The fact that the game inherently has a high barrier to entry understandably puts people off.

There is nothing better than putting on some music, a podcast or tv show, equipping all your mining items and exploring the caves for a couple of hours. I find it borderline meditative.

Exploration is what does it for me as well...I have no time or inclination to create anything that remotely compares to what other have already created in minecraft. I just enjoy creating a simple tower or seeing how far down I can dig on the PC version in Hardcore mode. I bought the 360 version but the draw distance and limited size of the worlds kind of irks me.

Vlad

Ah I wish you could pile grass like blocks. I built a maze but it's not the same with brown dirt.

Once it's completed (I'm trying to make the grass grow up there... ain't easy it seems)

If you want to get grass somewhere there isn't, you have to lead it from an existing grass block. So, if you want to get grass from the mainland up to a floating island, you have to make dirt stairs up to it. The grass will slowly spread to the ungrassed dirt. It also tends to go faster if the stairs are wider than a single block.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Re: making a hedge maze type thing. I don't know if this is in the XBLA version yet but in the PC version you can "harvest" leaf blocks from trees using the Shears tool, which you can then rebuild with.

Rapstah

Re: making a hedge maze type thing. I don't know if this is in the XBLA version yet but in the PC version you can "harvest" leaf blocks from trees using the Shears tool, which you can then rebuild with.

Next patch if the rumours are to be believed. In the PC version, you could fake hedges before that patch by planting trees, surrounding them with dirt and taking away the leaves you didn't want. This isn't viable for a whole hedge, not to mention labyrinth, though.

clockpunk

Given that maps are non-shareable, I was pondering how best to capture my creation from a friend's server in order to recreate it in my own when a thought struck me. If only there was a means by which players could, say, choose a point and select a three-dimensional area which would then create a blueprint of sorts saved to that users harddrive, which could be overlaid onto any other map that player has access to. This wouldn't create a copy per-se, but merely provide an intangible outline that could then be filled-in as desired.

Seems that such a system would allow for creations to be easily shared, between users if they so chose.

Probably never happen, but I thought such a system might be an ideal compromise...

Hambone

There is nothing better than putting on some music, a podcast or tv show, equipping all your mining items and exploring the caves for a couple of hours. I find it borderline meditative.

This is exactly how I play. I love putting on podcasts while I toil away mining.

It's been hard going back to the standard Minecraft textures on the 360, but after spending some significant time playing I'm getting used to it. I do miss the John Smith texture pack.

I've played MC on the pc for some time, and you'd think I would know to look over my shoulder when outside, but sure enough I've crapped my pants from ... "That's a very nice everything you have....SssSssSSSsss...BOOM"

I've tried linking to a Facebook account but I keep getting an error "0x800 something-something". I have the social setting set to allowed. /shrug

acm2000

Doing my XBLA Analysis. Minecraft's Easy Leaderboards show 1,101,563 players. Normal shows 603,265, together for 1,704,828. Jesus.

remember any gamertag can be on all of the leaderboards, and i assume splitscreen users will also get added even if theyve not bought it

JambiBum

So how do you make stone slabs in the 360 version? Am I just missing it in the crafting menu?

Oh dammit. I guess I was. Dumb :/

ironcreed

Banned
To be fair, he gave it 7.5/10, and was very complimentary on various aspects. He just, like me, questions wether hours of holding a button on front of grey blocks is worth it to build a fairly dull block structure or two.

I admire the game for it's approach, and bringing something new, I just found it incredibly boring. I hope those who enjoy it have hours of fun, I'll just watch the best stuff on YouTube.

I can see the argument for sure, but it is just such a relaxing breath of fresh air for me. At least playing it on peaceful is, which is what I'll be doing from now on. As this is not the kind of game I want to play for survival horror. The gameplay, music and overall atmosphere lends itself to mining, gathering and creating as you relax and that is all I want out of this game.

Spending hours toiling away mining and building, only for both you and your creation to be blown to bits by some green creeper guy spawning inside of it in the daytime (even with torches everywhere) is more than a let down. In fact, it's actually more annoying than anything.

As having to rush your work in a short day, rush to go to bed and still have to rebuild what you spent hours on sometimes is what really makes it tedious. I just want to chill, mine and create at my own pace. Leave the monsters and survival for other games. This is strictly a 'feel good' game for me that I want to play for a relaxing change of pace.

I saw someone mention earlier if anyone had a spare xbox around to host a server. I have a spare 360 and mostly on my PC now anyway so I can setup a peaceful server or whatever you guys want haha.

So I have realized that recreating The Pit in Minecraft is actually going to be pretty tough, so I'm either just gonna hold out until Creative mode is released (Well, hopefully it gets released), or just make a very crude version of it.

EDIT: Wrong thread, but I guess it still applies lol. I'm talking about remaking The Pit (level from Halo 3).
Oh, and here I thought you were recreating The Pit.

My son (6) and daughter (10) played split screen co-op for 2 hours yesterday. They love it. They think it's great to see the progress of everyone's homes.

My daughter was watching Minecraft tutorials on youtube yesterday LOL.

My son (6) and daughter (10) played split screen co-op for 2 hours yesterday. They love it. They think it's great to see the progress of everyone's homes.

My daughter was watching Minecraft tutorials on youtube yesterday LOL.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. Both my daughters have been having a blast with the game and healp each other with their homes.

ironcreed

Banned
Thinking of picking up Fortress Craft just to have a creative mode. It does not play nearly as smoothly, but it is only 240 points and I like all of the options available without even mining. Just select what material you want to use and create. Even custom blocks. I think they will both compliment each other and I have enough points left to pick it up. Might as well.

Coldsnap

Here's me and my girlfriends house. She insisted in building a giant tower last night that's visible to the left of the picture. Its really tall and serves no purpose.. I did push her off of it during construction though. I was going to take a picture of my mine but it looks like a mine lol, only exciting part is the roller coaster ride down to the bedrock. I should give credit where it's due though, she built most of it sans the treehouse while I was down in the mine workin.

533182_585475876609_211801316_31681995_215106788_n.jpg

So guys, I made this gorgeous white flying island in the middle of the sea.
It reminds me of 2001, fez, moebius, nausicaa, panzer dragoon all at the same time (yes, I mean it).
Problem is, how do I climb up there? It's flying :lol I want my house to be on the top of the island... grass, flowers, trees, blue water, clouds moving slowly... aaaaah

You could try putting a Nether portal on the ground and one on the island and just connect them in the Nether to make a seamless way of getting up there.

Tunavi

Banned
Here's me and my girlfriends house. She insisted in building a giant tower last night that's visible to the left of the picture. Its really tall and serves no purpose.. I did push her off of it during construction though. I was going to take a picture of my mine but it looks like a mine lol, only exciting part is the roller coaster ride down to the bedrock. I should give credit where it's due though, she built most of it sans the treehouse while I was down in the mine workin.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/533182_585475876609_211801316_31681995_215106788_n.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
whoa, looks like my house.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/nlfznl.jpg

Izick

Would you all say this game is still worth it over Fez or Trials if I don't plan to use the multiplayer modes at all?

I want a spouse that works down in the mines while I do all the designing.
I tried that, but my wife found the first person perspective a bit dizzying. Now I only have my daughters to help, but unfortunately they seem more interested in riding pigs and planting flowers than in mining for their Lord Father.

Henke

The Xbox version is my first experience of Minecraft, but I'm loving it. Right now I've got a big 10-storey tower on the beach (my first home - expanded upwards 9 times), a half built stone home across the bay from it and a series of linking mines to get around some of the many small contents the world is made of.

If anyone wants to add me on Live my tag is Doogyc. I quite like helping people build/mine.

Izick

I'm sorry, I know it's kind of hard to compare, but I just can't make up my mind on which one to pick up. I've played all the trial games of each, and I love each one. They're all really solid games.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You know what makes this game even more awesome? The fkin soundtrack! Sounds like it was ripped straight out of LOST.

Here is the link to the OST. If it's illegal for me to post this please remove the link.

Dead on. Thats the first thing i noticed when playing.

I'm sorry, I know it's kind of hard to compare, but I just can't make up my mind on which one to pick up. I've played all the trial games of each, and I love each one. They're all really solid games.

I have both Fez and Minecraft. Both are awesome but I am getting so much playability out f Minecraft. I love the discovery and survival aspect of the game. You start with nothing but a map but the possibilities of what you can find and create are endless.

Something's going on with MS and XBL, it won't allow my credit card payment to go through but my CC works everywhere else.

I wanted to finally bite the bullet and play this on 360.

Hambone

I started a new world last night. There's no greater feeling than dropping into a new world with nothin' but your wits, and mits. Knowing that darkness is closing fast, and you're punching shit just to make shelter to get you through the first night. Fucking love it.

Daydreaming about Minecraft is not good for productivity.

MGjdn.png

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was playing online with my brother (in his world) and I was getting massive lag. It was pretty frustrating. Probably just internet problem on my end or his since his son was also playing on a seperate xbox online.

I was playing online with my brother (in his world) and I was getting massive lag. It was pretty frustrating. Probably just internet problem on my end or his since his son was also playing on a seperate xbox online.

I had the same problem with a buddy of mine last night. He said his internet has been horrible recently so hopefully it was just a connection problem and not a bug. Although I did notice that the game is laggy when it rains and I was playing solo.

Davey Cakes

I played a couple of hours of this the other day. Traveled really far into a deep cavern that had both a stream of magma and a stream of water. Got to the very bottom and found some iron, gold, redstone, and lapis lazuli. It made for a satisfying trip, since I had to occasionally build around the magma stream to go deeper without hurting myself. Plus it was really nice to find gold for once, and now that I've discovered some I'm confident that I'll have success in mining more in the future.

Mining gets old after a while, though, so I stopped mining temporarily and decided to go and build a big house/castle with all of the cobblestone that I'd gathered. Started building alongside a giant cliff in the middle of one of my forests. I need to add a second floor once I get more building materials but so far I'm satisfied with what is definitely my biggest house yet. Now I have four major shelters (not including the caverns that I've closed off): my very first tiny shack, my second house which I made from wood and cobblestone and which serves as my base of operations for its respective coast, my third really crappy house that I built further up the coast and don't really care about, and now my much bigger cobblestone house that actually has a big entrance hall, a hallway, a bedroom, windows, and a basement-in-progress.

This game is satisfying. While there are certain limitations, I actually enjoy working within them so that I can let my imagination do a lot of the work.

FyreWulff

If MS was smart, they'd let people run XServers on their PCs to host Minecraft games with. While it's feasible to just leave your Xbox on, you're still taking up a player slot and there's no way to make it automatically save the map once a while.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If MS was smart, they'd let people run XServers on their PCs to host Minecraft games with. While it's feasible to just leave your Xbox on, you're still taking up a player slot and there's no way to make it automatically save the map once a while.

Since we have seen some concessions regarding free updates I wonder if microsoft is going to figure out a way to get dedicated server support for this game.

They just sold 1 million units. Clearly people are playing this game like crazy.

Can't wait for the updates.

Top Bottom