• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

Just found a pretty awesome seed, 'wgW'. My local buddies and I use it as our BF3 tag lol, but it's quite neat. Lots of islands in a huge bay with some unique mountains looking down on them. Rolling hills and forest off to the south of that with a few mountains here and there.

Give it a try!

@Linius: yup if you find a lava flow you can get a water source and make obsidian. I found a huge lava source and just put the water source above it so I wouldn't lose it and repeated.

Moar photos!

In this one, you can see my cabin up at the top right. I love the subtle lighting emanating from it.

1NSzE.jpg

And I found this view particularly nice:

This game is awesome. Can't be said enough...

Fjordson

Just found a pretty awesome seed, 'wgW'. My local buddies and I use it as our BF3 tag lol, but it's quite neat. Lots of islands in a huge bay with some unique mountains looking down on them. Rolling hills and forest off to the south of that with a few mountains here and there
Stupis questing incoming: what is a "seed"? Saw someone mentioning special seeds on the Giant Bomb forums.

Stupis questing incoming: what is a "seed"? Saw someone mentioning special seeds on the Giant Bomb forums.

I haven't played the game, but I'm guessing it's a "seed" for the random generator. Random generators in computers use a seed value to create randomness from. However, if you put in the same seed, the "randomness" isn't really random at all, it will come out the same.

So people find out interesting "seeds" to use and share them.

Fjordson

I haven't played the game, but I'm guessing it's a "seed" for the random generator. Random generators in computers use a seed value to create randomness from. However, if you put in the same seed, the "randomness" isn't really random at all, it will come out the same.

Ah, okay. Didn't know 360 could use that, sweet. Thanks!

Lava and water coming together creates obsidian right? So does that mean you can mine obsidian down there where the water and lava are coming near each other beneath that castle?

If water is poured onto a lava source block it turns to obsidian but if water is poured on a moving lava block it becomes cobble.

If lava is added to water I believe it makes cobble no matter what type of water block it is.

Linius

Thanks for the info. And is a non-moving lava block at the end of a stream in a cave considered a source block?

At first I still need some diamonds to make myself a diamond pickaxe. It's damn hard to find, only got two pieces so far.

Thanks for the info. And is a non-moving lava block at the end of a stream in a cave considered a source block?

At first I still need some diamonds to make myself a diamond pickaxe. It's damn hard to find, only got two pieces so far.

Go down to the bedrock and then count up around 7-10 blocks, that's the sweet spot. I've found a good bit near by redstone as well, and diamond can spawn diagonally so check all around those veins.

FyreWulff

'halo' seems pretty neat, I'm going to use it to remake some Halo locations in.

If you're talking about the one that's usually coming from the wall when you find it in a cave then yes that's usually the source block for lava.

Easy way to tell if any fluid is a source block is try and pick it up with a bucket. If you can pick it up it's a source block.

If you're wanting to use obsidian to make a Nether portal you don't even need to collect it with a diamond pick. You can just make a mold for it and fill it in with lava source blocks and pour water over the top of it. Just do this in sections to make a Nether portal.

I have Minecraft GAF on my friends list and have set up a world :) I am PrematureQuiche and it is setup on peaceful so just hop in. It will be up most of the time until Tony Hawk comes out haha. That is the next 360 game I want. Three things

1. If you see anyone destroying peoples buildings tell me and I will block them.
2. What difficulty do you guys want the server at?
3. If you have to add me to get in feel free :)

I added the two people who sent me requests while I was asleep and the 360 hasn't red ringed yet *fingers crossed* :) the world is still open although I have not had a look round yet :)

clockpunk

Finally found a pumpkin patch last night!! :D

And promptly it killed by a skeleton when fleeing with the goods in a frantic dash to my house. Fortunately I was able to re-fing my stuff, and am now the proud owner of a mass of jack-o-lanterns, an a couple left ready for farming.

... And that this was so exciting is testimony to the games capture of the thrill of discovery and exploration.

DarkStar

Moar photos!

In this one, you can see my cabin up at the top right. I love the subtle lighting emanating from it.

And I found this view particularly nice:

This game is awesome. Can't be said enough...

Where did you find the glow stone?
I went to the nether world but all I could find was the red stone that you can set on fire and it never goes out.

Hambone

Where did you find the glow stone?
I went to the nether world but all I could find was the red stone that you can set on fire and it never goes out.

It usually hangs from the ceiling in the Nether. You have to smash it up for glowstone dust, and craft it back into glowstone blocks.

Hambone

A screenshot of my underground hall. Couldn't go any deeper because of bedrock.

Very nice, dude. Keep the screenshots coming.

Has anyone here had any problems connecting their Xbox to their Facebook account? I have..

- an active Gold account
- verified that I can log into the Facebook account via the web
- social networking set to 'Allowed' in the Xbox dashboard

Every time I try to log into the Facebook account via Xbox I keep getting an error saying 'unable to connect, please try again later'

Linius

With some help from the Minecraft wikia I think I found them. Must be stone slabs, they look quite nice. You prolly put some cobblestones in your furnace to create stoneblocks. And after you made slabs from the blocks.

With some help from the Minecraft wikia I think I found them. Must be stone slabs, they look quite nice. You prolly put some cobblestones in your furnace to create stoneblocks. And after you made slabs from the blocks.

Yeah Stone slabs. I used the same slabs to make these stairs that descent to the hall. Picture is not the best, but it will give an impression.

minecraft_stairs.jpeg

Jinjo

Oh man, got this today. Lost about 5 hours this afternoon. Made 2 different houses. Started of with a tree house, then while exploring the mountains I decided to make a mountainshack half suspended in the air (the view is awesome). Decided I wanted cooler looking material than cobblestone after finishing it so I basicly rebuilt the whole thing with sandstone. Sand offcourse was nowhere available on the mountain so I hiked up and down numerous times. When it was nearly finished a creeper decides on blowing my shit up. Bastard.

Explored in the other end from the map. Found a small sandmountain in the water/sea. Decided to dig like straight down (no way up again), see how far down I could go. Offcourse then I stumble upon some gold ore. Literally clawed my way back up (shovel and sword don't like rock), pickaxe broke not even 1/3 on the way up. Ran out of torches 2/3 of the way up. When I heard cows moo-ing I knew I had to be close. I nearly drowned when I reached the surface too cause I hit water. :lol

Fought my way back to safety in the dark. Returned to my mine, after digging deeper near the gold ore I found it also contained reddust and lapiz something. Found lava, dropped water on it, now I have a shitload of obsidian stones there too. :lol Only need diamond pick. Hit the jackpot as far as resources go right there.

Thinking I might set up another base here seeing as it is a long way from my home.

Zero148

Got this game a few days ago, build a house with a friend the whole night long in the weekend, such fun to mine and build things :)

currently I'm building a floating plattform right over my house, don't know yet how it will turn out. Haven't really explred the upper world of my map, but my mine is deep and I've already found Diamonds and Red Stone (and Lava :-D)

I've added the Minecraft GAF Account, my Gamertag is Zero148. Would love to visit your guys worlds and of course visitors in my world are welcome.

Oh man, got this today. Lost about 5 hours this afternoon. Made 2 different houses. Started of with a tree house, then while exploring the mountains I decided to make a mountainshack half suspended in the air (the view is awesome). Decided I wanted cooler looking material than cobblestone after finishing it so I basicly rebuilt the whole thing with sandstone. Sand offcourse was nowhere available on the mountain so I hiked up and down numerous times. When it was nearly finished a creeper decides on blowing my shit up. Bastard.

Explored in the other end from the map. Found a small sandmountain in the water/sea. Decided to dig like straight down (no way up again), see how far down I could go. Offcourse then I stumble upon some gold ore. Literally clawed my way back up (shovel and sword don't like rock), pickaxe broke not even 1/3 on the way up. Ran out of torches 2/3 of the way up. When I heard cows moo-ing I knew I had to be close. I nearly drowned when I reached the surface too cause I hit water. :lol

Fought my way back to safety in the dark. Returned to my mine, after digging deeper near the gold ore I found it also contained reddust and lapiz something. Found lava, dropped water on it, now I have a shitload of obsidian stones there too. :lol Only need diamond pick. Hit the jackpot as far as resources go right there.

Thinking I might set up another base here seeing as it is a long way from my home.

This game man lol! Also make sure you always keep a crafting table and resources to make a pic, sword and torches in case you get in a jam.

Wow, I just realized that I've been calling the 'On a Rail' achievement 'Rail Me' instead. I have no clue how I even started calling it that. I think one of my friends called it that and I just believed him.
KuGsj.gif

I feel dumb.

my world seed must be terrible or i picked a shitty place to live. i've barely found any gold, one deposit of redstone, and very little iron in the 15 or so hours i've played. i went exploring one day and found two MASSIVE cave structures pretty far from my home. i've only found one near my place.

thinking of moving but it'll be such a hassle.
lol so last night i started exploring one of the cave systems and it's MASSIVE. like, MASSIVE. it extends almost all the way back to my house, i've just been digging in the wrong spot.

goes all the way down to bedrock too. it's going to take hours to mine it all and get everything together. damn this game.

Hambone

lol so last night i started exploring one of the cave systems and it's MASSIVE. like, MASSIVE. it extends almost all the way back to my house, i've just been digging in the wrong spot.

goes all the way down to bedrock too. it's going to take hours to mine it all and get everything together. damn this game.

I had a similar experience on my first world. Spent about 5 hours mining and exploring, and found nothing. No caves. No lava. No diamonds. The biome\landscape was boring in all directions, so I decided to start over with a new world.

The new world proved a good decision, because the landscape is so much better, but I finally got to go spelunking in a nice cave system.

Toki1776

I feel like this may be a useful tip for this thread: When exploring caves, it helps to have a system of some sort to avoid getting lost. For example, I always place my torches on my right hand, so I can find my way out by keeping the torches on my left. Happy Minecrafting!

I feel like this may be a useful tip for this thread: When exploring caves, it helps to have a system of some sort to avoid getting lost. For example, I always place my torches on my right hand, so I can find my way out by keeping the torches on my left. Happy Minecrafting!
Oh that's smart

Ramblin

Banned

Now you tell me!?!

good tip. this particular cave system i've found is pretty labyrinthine so i'll have to really pay attention where i put my torches.

Disguises

It's so obvious, yet so helpful! Can't count how many times I've been lost.

feel

:O

Thanks!

My cave system is such a mess, it's pretty much useless trying to fix it now haha. I know my way, but whenever people join my world and go down in the caves, they get lost and I have to go save them. Kinda wish I had the knowledge I have now when I started the game.

WillyFive

My cave system is such a mess, it's pretty much useless trying to fix it now haha. I know my way, but whenever people join my world and go down in the caves, they get lost and I have to go save them. Kinda wish I had the knowledge I have now when I started the game.

Yeah, for me my first world was also a disaster. I still visit it for nostalgia's sakes, but it's completely useless now.

Seanspeed

Banned

Just started doing something similar. I label certain important pathways(ones to follow to entrance) with a pair of torches instead of a single one. It helps massively getting back quickly, like on a rescue mission at night after losing everything in a lava flow at the very bottom of the mine.

Just started doing something similar. I label certain important pathways(ones to follow to entrance) with a pair of torches instead of a single one. It helps massively getting back quickly, like on a rescue mission at night after losing everything in a lava flow at the very bottom of the mine.

I need to start doing stuff like this! The underground of my world is just insane with randomly carved out bits and torches just played anywhere. Which is a bit odd considering how OCD I really am and this game does NOT help with that!

Zero148

my cave system is a real mess too, my friend and I just digged everywhere independently, so it is hard to find the way out ^^

I think I will start a new mine at one of my mountains at the weekend and will use your tips with the torches on one side and duoble torches at important spots, this should really help.

Do you guys find big cave systems, which don't need to be digged by yourself? My mine started at one small cave and is almost complete selfmade.

Top Bottom