• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge demo coming Oct 30 PSN/Oct 31 XboxLive

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Dever said:
You can also do this by simply running past Celeste at the very beginning and jumping down to where you have to do your first roll. There's a Youtube video of it somewhere..

Oh, there it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U1Q4vUx57E

wow, there is so much baddassery going on here.

This is the most fun I've had running around playing with basic game mechanics since Crackdown.

Slavik81

Some of the graphical touches are really nice. The impact of bullets on surfaces is quite well done, both against walls and objects like the chain-link fences.

The depth-of-field is also a nice touch.

Ten-Song

Lostconfused said:
That look silly, but now everyone will do it to cut down their time by a huge margin -_-

I can't wait to see how close the leader board times will be when the full game is out because of silly stuff like that. :lol

Ten-Song said:
I can't wait to see how close the leader board times will be when the full game is out because of silly stuff like that. :lol

Milliseconds to Hundredths of a second apart, damn it almost feels like i am at the arcade playing initial d again.

BuRT!

Lostconfused said:
That look silly, but now everyone will do it to cut down their time by a huge margin -_-

I jumped onto the beam on the 'edge' time trial, didn't know you can actually jump while on the beam though.. nice :D

A bit late to the party perhaps... but the guy who does the Eurogamer head to head comparisons had a look at the Mirror's Edge demo:

A quick analysis of the demo reveals that in common with most UE3 titles, Xbox 360 still holds the technical edge, but PS3 manages to hold its own. Both PS3 and 360 versions have their fair share of 'jaggies', but the overall experience is a little smoother on the Microsoft console, thanks to the inclusion of selective 2x multisampling anti-aliasing (MSAA).
It's tough work telling these games apart. Indeed the biggest difference is the contrast, and that can be manually adjusted (the captures are at default settings). Bearing in mind some of the UE3 disappointments on PS3 - BioShock, Area 51 etc - it's remarkable that the PS3 version is as close as it is in what is clearly a cutting edge game. According to the Digital Foundry frame analyser, both games operate at 30fps, but in the sample of 10,875 frames (around 3 minutes of like-for-like video), only 178 frames were torn in the 360 version - a paltry 1.6%.

The PS3 version is more difficult to analyse as the vast majority of the torn frames are restricted to the first couple of lines of resolution - basically imperceptible to the human eye, most likely hidden in the overscan area of your HDTV, and therefore shouldn't be included in the analysis. So adjusting the detector to disregard those, the figure rises to 3.8%. In short, even though the 360 version is basically v-locked and the PS3 version isn't, frame rate is not a problem in either version of this game, especially as it appears that most of the tearing crops up in the intro to the main mission in the demo. For what it's worth though, in the 10,875 frame sample, PS3 runs 0.3fps more smoothly at the expense of more torn frames.
There's a comparison vid over there too:
http://insidethedigitalfoundry.blogspot.com/2008/11/report-mirrors-edge-demo-ps3xbox-360.html

I saw no graphical problems at all with the PS3 demo. No tearing, frame drops, and to be honest I don't recall any jaggies staring me in the face either.
Awesome graphics!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This demo has totally sold me. I love the sense of speed and immersion that the FPS view gives. When you miss a jump, it's just like one of those crazy dreams where you wake up from a fatal fall!

The look and especially the 'feel' of it all is just spot on. Can't wait.

Anyone know if pre-ordering it after the demo came out can get you a time trial code?

kuYuri

Ok, I got a Time Trial code for this demo from Amazon which I didn't know I was getting, but I managed to snag one at Best Buy, so I'm willing to give it away. But this message is at bottom of email:

Also, each claim code is unique and can't be shared.

How exactly can they make the code unshareable or is this just FUD?

Ferrio

Banned
Strider2K99 said:
Ok, I got a Time Trial code for this demo from Amazon which I didn't know I was getting, but I managed to snag one at Best Buy, so I'm willing to give it away. But this message is at bottom of email:

Easy, use a code, flip a bit somewhere in a database.

Strider2K99 said:

Beats me. But if you feel like sharing, I'd love to have it. PS3 version by chance?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Strider2K99 said:

Same way they make every other code that expires after one use in real life?

EDIT: Oh I see what you meant.

You can give it away, it means you can't use it, then share it.

Tieno

Strider2K99 said:

Means you can't put it in twice, only 1 person can use it. I'd love the code though, been dying to play time attack :)

Hey Tieno, if you really really want that code, I don't mind. I'll be glued to my TV for other reasons tonight, and I've only played through the demo three times.

Tieno

notjackbauer said:
Hey Tieno, if you really really want that code, I don't mind. I'll be glued to my TV for other reasons tonight, and I've only played through the demo three times.
I'd love to if you really don't mind, I've played the demo every day multiple times.

Tieno

Thanks so much Strider and NotJackBauer! Very cool of you guys. Been wanting to play time trial for a while now!

Just did my first two runs and it's humbling, only got a 1 star rating, but it's great fun. On the Edge run it I used do vertical wall run where it started, but I did a horizontal wallrun and that seems to be a bit faster cause you don't have to allign yourself first.

Tieno

2-starred Edge, gonna take a while till I can 3-star it. Fucked up my last jump by having to grab the bar, instead of jumping over it.

Wow, time trial is so competitive and exciting. Now I'm even more excited about Mirror's Edge, very few games can entertain me with challenging gameplay, but this is one of them.

Nekobo

I'm digging the demo...played it three times already, gonna go for a fourth run later. It sucks how they locked off the Time Trials, though. I want to play it. :/

Not sure if I'll be picking up the retail game anytime soon (getting Valkyria Chronicle next week, can't afford two $60 games...), but I definitely want to see where the story goes.

mintylurb

Psychotext said:
A bit late to the party perhaps... but the guy who does the Eurogamer head to head comparisons had a look at the Mirror's Edge demo:

The PS3 version is more difficult to analyse as the vast majority of the torn frames are restricted to the first couple of lines of resolution - basically imperceptible to the human eye, most likely hidden in the overscan area of your HDTV

There's a comparison vid over there too:

My hdtv setting is set at just scan and I didn't notice such tearing. If the vast majority of the tearing is restricted only to the first couple of lines, then I would've most likely noticed it like Wipeout HD. Only instance where I noticed the ps3 version tearing is during the training mode where you're on a ledge. It's the part right before you have to use a rope to move to another building.

X360 version is rock solid though. Didn't notice any screen tearing and it's really alot more easier on my eyes due to having some AA.

datamage

Bah, I'm still on the fence as to which version to get. I like the 360's cleaner IQ, but prefer the PS3's lighting/color saturation. I guess I'll have to flip a coin.

acm2000

datamage said:
Bah, I'm still on the fence as to which version to get. I like the 360's cleaner IQ, but prefer the PS3's lighting/color saturation. I guess I'll have to flip a coin.

you can change that in game options cant you

Woffls

Just phoned GAME (UK) and apparantly they have no agreement with EA at all to do demo codes... so... yeh... dicks...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm still baffled as to why the sun itself appears different in the 360 and PS3 versions of the game. It doesn't really impact the experience in any way, but I thought it was a really odd change. Take a look at both versions side by side (looking directly at the sun) and you'll see what I mean.

El Six

Banned
I really enjoyed this demo and game i was really hesitant with this game but after playing the demo I am very much liking it.

acm2000

dark10x said:
I'm still baffled as to why the sun itself appears different in the 360 and PS3 versions of the game. It doesn't really impact the experience in any way, but I thought it was a really odd change. Take a look at both versions side by side (looking directly at the sun) and you'll see what I mean.

and how about explaining for those of us who cant be bothered downloading the same demo on 2 machines? :p

datamage

acm2000 said:
you can change that in game options cant you

Not really. You can alter the contrast, but they each look different.

I just hope the performance in the demo is a good indication of what to expect. I'd hate to find out that one of them has more hiccups down the road.

acm2000

datamage said:
Not really. You can alter the contrast, but they each look different.

I just hope the performance in the demo is a good indication of what to expect. I'd hate to find out that one of them has more hiccups down the road.

its ue3.5, be afraid! (ps3 anyway)

dark10x

acm2000 said:
and how about explaining for those of us who cant be bothered downloading the same demo on 2 machines? :p
The effect/texture or whatever used to represent the sun in both versions appears different. The PS3 sun seems to blend more smoothly with its surroundings while there are obvious edges to the 360 sun burst and it seems to be of a different color than the surrounding light (which looks a bit odd). It's actually tough to describe and really doesn't really matter, but it was one of those observations that had me wondering simply because it's so minor and random.

dark10x

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Just played the demo. I'm having a hard time on which game to buy: this game or Resistance 2.
It's pretty much a matter of opinion, really. I don't think anyone could REALLY decide for you.

That said, I think I'll MUCH prefer Mirror's Edge. R2 is a solid game, but Mirror's Edge just feels so much more refreshing to me. R2 has a "been there, done that" kind of feel to it. That tiny Mirror's Edge demo was far more appealing to me, I have to admit. R2 will have more content (campaign, co-op, and competitive), but ME seems like a more interesting and fun experience overall. Again, that's just how I feel.

dark10x said:
It's pretty much a matter of opinion, really. I don't think anyone could REALLY decide for you.

That said, I think I'll MUCH prefer Mirror's Edge. R2 is a solid game, but Mirror's Edge just feels so much more refreshing to me. R2 has a "been there, done that" kind of feel to it. That tiny Mirror's Edge demo was far more appealing to me, I have to admit. R2 will have more content (campaign, co-op, and competitive), but ME seems like a more interesting and fun experience overall. Again, that's just how I feel.

That's what I'm thinking. ME is a fresh of breath air and there is always time trial which boosts the lasting appeal. I'll get ME and then ask for R2 for Christmas.

B33

Banned
Seems like a rental.

The controls provide a rather steep learning curve.

But I still dig the concept and find it fun once you get used to the controls.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I liked it!

I'm not going to buy it until the price drop. Seems like it'll be a short game. But it's still pretty cool!

And the motion sickness wasn't that bad this time around.

Top Bottom