• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Nintendo can't comment on NX because of "an idea that we're working on"

I hope I'm not ruining it for anybody, and I do hope the NX will surprise you, but check this out.

If all you can think about is Holograms or VR, you don't know Nintendo well. You are focusing on the output, when basically for them the output is inferior in importance to the input.

With the Wii, we went from the game, to the user interface, and now I predicted (years ago) they'll shift to the user himself. Starting with the Vitality Sensor for the Wii, and a Brain Controller for their next system. I have no idea if it's a fun device, I just think the next system will pull the game closer to you, either by Vitality Sensor, Brain Controller, both and maybe even more things.

https://youtu.be/DqeVNt5kK98

Some people here have actually said there's nothing more you can do beyond motion controls and touch screens. Well actually, we've barely scratched the surface.

Yup, that sure looks gimmicky alright.

Maybe it's just a poor translation?

"Nintendo can't comment on NX because of NX is an idea that we're still working on". "In terms of NX, there's that's an idea that we're working on," said "Super Mario" and "Donkey Kong" creator Shigeru Miyamoto through a Japanese translator.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Scott Moffit at NoA and the Nintendo Canada director both seem to be leaning heavily on a fall reveal, unless more trouble is brewing that Miyamoto knows about that they don't.

But i'm erring on this just being Miyamoto being roundabout about why they're not talking about it already (Japanese translation conventions and all).

That's definitely what's going on, but since people here still can't wrap their heads around a console releasing outside of the holiday season they're looking for any sign they can find that the March 2017 announcement was a flat-out lie.

Once again, NX is going to be something pretty much no-one expected.

I love Nintendo for this.

Reminds me of that slide that the late Mr. Iwata showed at one of the investor briefings.

nintendo_qol-300x225.jpg

This could possibly tie in with that 3D/holographic TV display patent thing.
Didn't they also have a patent around placing an amiibo like object on/in a transparent case thing?

Seriously, maybe they have something running that's to do with holograms.

Kimawolf

Übermatik;208539982 said:

This could possibly tie in with that 3D/holographic TV display patent thing.
Didn't they also have a patent around placing an amiibo like object on/in a transparent case thing?

Seriously, maybe they have something running that's to do with holograms.

The Echo is "non wearable" tech. Maybe its something like that but only game related.

Schnozberry

I worked on a Wii dev kit prior to the release of the console. Motion controls were always apart of the equation. Of course software was going to be created with it in mind. If their new idea isn't fleshed by now, that gives very little time for developers to start making games with it in mind.

In any case, we don't even know if this idea will be gameplay related.

I don't know that the idea isn't fleshed out, just that they aren't ready to reveal it for public consumption. What they've shared with their software partners is a big unknown. It seems they've only been talking with people who have adequate controls in place to deter leaks.

People's focus on the quote's effect or demonstration of timeline is misplaced, in my opinion. Just because it's an active idea doesn't mean they haven't pushed forward with major software projects. It just means they are trying to perfect it.

The comment could mean everything in terms of timeline, or absolutely nothing. It could also be a way to generate hype.

Hiltz

Whatever NX's differentiating concept is beyond the known integrated architecture, I sure hope Nintendo has put more thought into utilizing it for its own software than what happened with Wii U. Wii U has some neat uses for the GamePad with its hardware features and multi-media offerings, but it didn't seem to really do enough with asymmetric gameplay in particular. You had games like Super Mario 3D World where the GamePad's features didn't enhance the gameplay, instead feeling forced and gimmicky. Then you had games like Kirby's Rainbow Curse where the game's beautiful HD visuals went largely unappreciated because you were strangely forced to play it with the GamePad. It was a baffling move that could have seemingly been solved with a patch update to have an on-screen pointer appear on the TV screen the whole time, so the player's hand and eye coordination wouldn't result in a jarring experience. There were other games that also didn't really seem to use the GamePad as well as expected such as The Wonderful 101.

Übermatik;208539982 said:

Nintendo surprises often enough, but the only thing they've done that I can think of that was truly unexpected was the Wii.

In the N64 days there were rumblings about the analogue stick before reveal, the Gamecube didn't really do anything unexpected, the Wii U controller was leaked etc. Not really up on my DS history, so maybe that was totally out on left field as well.

I don't want Nintendo trying weird new stuff anymore. Just give us a basic ass high powered computer in a console form factor, with console system level UI shit.

If NX was an operating system you could install on your PCs or MACs to play Nintendo games, (only one catch - you can only install the Nintendo operating system, nothing else) would you?

Hiltz

I hope its not too expensive. I want the NX to be as powerful as the PS4 at least...

I honestly don't expect it to be. As Nintendo has repeatedly said before, it isn't interested in offering a high-spec console that's competitively priced. It's not like Nintendo can beat PS4 at its own game anyway. Realistically, it isn't going to sway gamers to abandon PS4 as their primary console of choice, especially when Nintendo is going to have the weakest third party support due to its fan base not historically being supportive enough of third party releases in general.

What purpose would Nintendo need 8GB DDR5 RAM for ? Wii U's OS didn't even use 2GB RAM. Nintendo's teams don't make photo-realistic games. They also prioritize what their own hardware and software teams will generally use it for, so in Nintendo's eyes, third parties will have to be content with NX being good enough to support as far as its specs go. The differentiating factors NX has going for it is whether its integrated architecture and whatever gimmick concept it has to offer is compelling enough to want to make games for. However, most htird parties are clearly focusing on multiplatform games and not exclusives. PS4 can get away with some of these exclusives that Sony isn't publishing because its sold so welloverseas, arty and have a pretty good track record of doing well, whereas Nintendo's do not. In Japan, PS4 obviously have most of the market to itself despite its own poor install base growth.

Miyamoto and idea in the same sentence is more if a wildcard these days then a guarantee of quality

Hope its good or at least isn't convoluted

Yeah, I’m surprised how much grace we give Nintendo these days.

If you can’t comment on a system within 9 months of its release other than that it exists, I’d be worried, or at least mad skeptical.

Otnopolit

That dream has been pretty much dead for a while and seems to die more with every comment about power.

Not to call you out, but I don't have any recollection of spec talk or Nintendo statements that suggest this to be true. Do you have a link? If you're referring to the dev kit downgrade, I don't remember them mentioning outright what that meant in terms of power relative to the other systems.

Not to call you out, but I don't have any recollection of spec talk or Nintendo statements that suggest this to be true. Do you have a link? If you're referring to the dev kit downgrade, I don't remember them mentioning outright what that meant in terms of the other systems.
He's known for latching onto rumors that put the system in a bad light and disregarding ones that are positive.

2017? yeah I agree.

I don't know if its a poor translation, but Miyamoto referring to the NX as "an idea we're working on" probably won't give the investors much confidence that the system will release March of 2017 like they said at the annual investors meeting. At this point I would be shocked if it actually releases by then.
If it had been "We're implimenting an idea we've been working on", it might have come closer to what I suppose the intent of the statement to be.

I think they have an idea that they feel they have to be quiet about in order to get the huge jump on a new process/mode that they don't want to see others trying to implement until the last possible moment, à la Wii.

Is he not anymore? I know he was integral to the N64 and Gamecube controllers.

Wasn't the N64 controller basically built for Mario 64? I think it suffered as a result, and honestly despite some people still thinking it's the best thing ever I didn't like the Gamecube controller much either.

Building a controller primarily for a single game is rarely a good idea. See also: Xbox Duke controller with Halo.

The NX is a fugazi, fogazi. It’s a wazi, it’s a woozi. It’s… fairy dust. It doesn’t exist, it’s never landed, it is no matter, it’s not on the elemental charge. It’s not fucking real.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Hopefully that idea is a simple, cheap, machine with a normal controller.

This would be the most innovative and fresh thing Nintendo could do. They always go on and on about how's it's all about the games, yet they don't seem to believe that themselves.

Darryl

Banned
So they want to leapfrog current technology. It's not in your hands, not on your face. It floats?

Sounds like some kinda cloud based processing tbh. Similar to a lot of other speculation being passed around awhile ago but forgotten lately I think. If they took a Wii U handheld controller extender and made it a bit more ambitious, you could get some interesting results.

tr1p1ex

and honestly despite some people still thinking it's the best thing ever I didn't like the Gamecube controller much either.

The GC was a great controller particularly the face button layout. It just made a lot of sense. You could reach all the buttons with your thumb in one position. And then having the buttons different shapes made everything more intuitive as well.

I was fond of the yellow nub for games like Pikmin and Metroid Prime because it had a nice solid and short response when you moved it. It was mostly used like a dpad would be used.
The unique triggers had some cool uses. The analog scale of them and then the digital click were fun.

But the nub wasn't made for shooters and neither were the triggers. So those things had their downsides for 3rd party games.

In hindsight Nintendo should have stuck with that face button layout since they never got 3rd party shooters on their system anyway.

pixelation

Terrifying

Yup, i am scared of the day that they actually reveal it... what hideous gimmick will they come up with next?, why can't they just put out a plain simple gaming console?, i am really not excited for their upcoming yo-yo/maraca controllers with a sub-par specced machine.

Top Bottom