• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Nintendo can't comment on NX because of "an idea that we're working on"

Schnozberry

It would be a lot of help if there was a dedicated socket though. Attaching through USB could work, but wouldn't be nearly as useful. And with the way things are build today, extra port doesn't make much sense otherwise. So, well.

Thunderbolt 3 could achieve what they are after. It's used for external GPUs. I still think the SCD is one of those clever ideas that no one will actually embrace, though. Adding additional boxes underneath your TV sounds ok in theory, but in practice it seems like it would be somewhat inelegant, unless the design of the NX is made for stacking or something of that nature. But that just brings up other questions about cooling design, power supplies, etc.

MDave

Thunderbolt 3 could achieve what they are after. It's used for external GPUs. I still think the SCD is one of those clever ideas that no one will actually embrace, though. Adding additional boxes underneath your TV sounds ok in theory, but in practice it seems like it would be somewhat inelegant, unless the design of the NX is made for stacking or something of that nature. But that just brings up other questions about cooling design, power supplies, etc.

For the SCD's, I have this picture in my head of the Gamecube with its Gameboy Player attachment, except you could attach another Gameboy Player attachment underneath, and so on. Nintendo are not shy making their own propriety connection ports, just to avoid licensing other's tech.

tr1p1ex

I guess my second post wasn't clear enough.

I'm talking about the chips, sensors, the individual components, all those kind of things that get put into gaming controllers/accessories eventually. New tech, not old tech that has been around for ages like NFC and touchscreens and cameras and stereo speakers that came before being put into a controller. There hasn't been any recent breakthrough in new types of sensors for example. Better gyros, but its not new but improvement on old tech.

You're that up on sensor breakthoughs to know we have no breakthroughs on sensors?

And any recent truly new breakthrough is highly likely not to be in a mass market game machine.

orioto

Good Art™
This.
Sounds like they have no confidence.

I wouldn't say that but yeah i'm alwys worried about Nintendo for those things. Cause many things in the past has showed they can be random about things. The way they added gyro in the 3ds at the last minute, when it was against the design of the console, the way they communicated about the wiiu...

I always thught the Wiiu, with its uninspired concept and the whole debacle about its positioning on the market.. Was some kind of plan B. Like they had something else, but it wasn't ready.

MDave

You're that up on sensor breakthoughs to know we have no breakthroughs on sensors?

There would have to have been one at least a year ago for it to make it into the NX. Unless this is a completely custom sensor Nintendo have created, but I seriously doubt that.

Schnozberry

This.
Sounds like they have no confidence.

No offense, but this is reaching in a big way. The worst thing Nintendo could do at this point is come out with incomplete information and unpolished demos just to let people in on whatever idea they have cooking. They have plenty of people willing to dog pile them right now, let alone coming forward and over promising on the back of half baked ideas again like they did with Wii U.

Kimawolf

NX console could be made like a mini server blade farm. You just stick them (up to like 3 or whatever) inside and it just works.

dell_equallogic_blade_array_1.jpg

Something like that, but scaled down to console like proportions. You can theoretically add a bunch of them. Nintendo could sell SCDS of varying strength for the casual gamer, core gamer, and power gamer. And you just slot them in and it just works.

That would be something no one's done for mainstream console solutions regarding power.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
There is an idea of the NX; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real console: only an entity, something illusory. And though it can be presumed to exist, and you can grip its controller and feel plastic gripping your flesh and maybe you can even sense its power is probably comparable to others... It is simply not there.

200_s.gif

No offense, but this is reaching in a big way. The worst thing Nintendo could do at this point is come out with incomplete information and unpolished demos just to let people in on whatever idea they have cooking. They have plenty of people willing to dog pile them right now, let alone coming forward and over promising on the back of half baked ideas again like they did with Wii U.

If they're launching in March you'd think they'd have some solid information at this point. A March launch means they'd have to start manufacturing in, what, December?

Schnozberry

For the SCD's, I have this picture in my head of the Gamecube with its Gameboy Player attachment, except you could attach another Gameboy Player attachment underneath, and so on. Nintendo are not shy making their own propriety connection ports, just to avoid licensing other's tech.

Even that seems overwrought to me. I'd rather they sell me a cheaper console with the promise I'll be able to keep all my accessories and games when they roll out an upgraded one in a few years that I can replace my other one with for a few hundred bucks.

tr1p1ex

There would have to have been one at least a year ago for it to make it into the NX. Unless this is a completely custom sensor Nintendo have created, but I seriously doubt that.

You're really asking if any completely new sensor or chip has trickled down to the mass market yet.

Kimawolf

SCDs are one of things I know the NX is not about.

Why not? A Blade like array, only smaller, scaled down for console sizes would be something "revolutionary" and really give the consumer the option of what fidelity/money they want to play/spend on their gaming set up. Similar to PCs but for consoles.

I imagine handheld being lowest denominator, followed by base console, then you can begin buying SCDs (or using other devices, but thats not a pretty look so for this scenario lets go with physical SCDs they'd sell)

you slot them in and voila, you can play a game at any fidelity you, the gamer chooses.

I personally still like the advanced AR idea. I imagine playing something like Magic: The Gathering with AR glasses, watching the game play out with high fidelity images.

tr1p1ex

Why not? A Blade like array, only smaller, scaled down for console sizes would be something "revolutionary" and really give the consumer the option of what fidelity/money they want to play/spend on their gaming set up. Similar to PCs but for consoles.

I imagine handheld being lowest denominator, followed by base console, then you can begin buying SCDs (or using other devices, but thats not a pretty look so for this scenario lets go with physical SCDs they'd sell)

you slot them in and voila, you can play a game at any fidelity you, the gamer chooses.

I personally still like the advanced AR idea. I imagine playing something like Magic: The Gathering with AR glasses, watching the game play out with high fidelity images.

Look at your pic. Nothing about it says Nintendo.

NX console could be made like a mini server blade farm. You just stick them (up to like 3 or whatever) inside and it just works.

Something like that, but scaled down to console like proportions. You can theoretically add a bunch of them. Nintendo could sell SCDS of varying strength for the casual gamer, core gamer, and power gamer. And you just slot them in and it just works.

That would be something no one's done for mainstream console solutions regarding power.

Do you think it could look something like this?

Yeah, pretty much every type of sensor has been added to cell phones. I'm also at a loss as to what this supposedly new innovation will be. Every scenario has been pretty much exhausted, but I have a feeling NX is something we still haven't thought of yet.

And if it is something we have thought of, I guess I would be kind of disappointed.

Schnozberry

If they're launching in March you'd think they'd have some solid information at this point. A March launch means they'd have to start manufacturing in, what, December?

Having hardware ready for production and having software ready to demo are different. They could have settled on the primary hardware components a while ago.

MDave

You're really asking if any completely new sensor or chip has trickled down to the mass market yet.

Yes, I did mention that in my second reply post. When NFC and accelerometers etc were introduced to mass market, this was before they got adopted into gaming devices. I go back now to what I said in the beginning. What is left that's new for gaming with currently available tech that could make it into the NX?

Vena

Yeah, pretty much every type of sensor has been added to cell phones. I'm also at a loss as to what this supposedly new innovation will be. Every scenario has been pretty much exhausted, but I have a feeling NX is something we still haven't thought of yet.

And if it is something we have thought of, I guess I would be kind of disappointed.

I mean, we've known for half a year that the NX is a...

...mhmm.

Yes, I did mention that in my second reply post. When NFC and accelerometers etc were introduced to mass market, this was before they got adopted into gaming devices. I go back now to what I said in the beginning. What is left that's new for gaming with currently available tech that could make it into the NX?

Nintendo partnered with DARPA on the HAARP project. NX is the weather.

Schnozberry

I'm guessing it's probably a combination existing technology that makes for a different way to play. Nothing else fits their MO.

tr1p1ex

AR is a different story and totally plausible. The 3ds does AR stuff so Nintendo has messed with it.

It's more of a matter of when it is cheap enough and good enough and not if they would ever do it.

Ogodei

This seems like a whole lotta nothing to explain why they're keeping mum for now, whatever the reason actually is.

I mean, we've known for half a year that the NX is a...

...mhmm.

Nintendo partnered with DARPA on the HAARP project. NX is the weather.

NX is a gagged Frenchman. Indeed. And don't joke about the DARPA stuff. Do you remember the patent for a Wii personal weather station?
I'm guessing it's probably a combination existing technology that makes for a different way to play. Nothing else utheir MO.

Most likely. It can't be something too new if they're making it affordable this time. "Withered technology" and all that. But what?

It isn't reaching in the least. If they are still "working on an idea" with the console supposedly being less than a year away, that tells me that they lack confidence in their vision. I don't blame them. Where do they fit in this current climate? What can they do that will make them stand out?

If BotW is going to be a launch title, that alone tells me they feel like they need that game in order to sell their new hardware. It's a good strategy because no significant amount of people even bought a Wii U. If their new idea fails, the new Zelda is another way to incentivize people to buy a NX.

Vena

NX is a gagged Frenchman. Indeed. And don't joke about the DARPA stuff. Do you remember the patent for a Wii personal weather station?

I know that's why I joked about it.

That said, I am curious why people keep asking Miyamoto and not Aonuma on this stuff, the former isn't even involved in this hardware. Aonuma's on record saying he's been heavily involved with the NX development and design.

Arkam

Cannot wait to see what their wizards have created.

I just hope they REALLY think it through and make sure it does actually achieve its goals. While I will not deny that the Wii's motion controls were brilliant at launch....quickly we saw the very real limitations... which brought us the motion plus add-on. Which was also great (We used it on all Wii games moving forward), but an add-on, so it didnt have universal support :(

Until they let me down I am going to give them the benefit of any doubt.

MDave

I know that's why I joked about it.

That said, I am curious why people keep asking Miyamoto and not Aonuma on this stuff, the former isn't even involved in this hardware. Aonuma's on record saying he's been heavily involved with the NX development and design.

Now that is interesting. Aonuma involved in the hardware, you would think perhaps Zelda: BOTW NX would be something that takes full advantage of this hardware idea. Unlike Twlight Princess Wii. Perhaps there is a hint of what it could be in the WiiU version, right under our noses :p

Nintendo focus on the idea of new ways to play, so it would have something to do with the controls.

tr1p1ex

I thought you rejected tech like NFC that has been around for awhile but hasn't been used in gaming. I'm a bit confused.

There are sensors that measure body rhythms like perspiration, heartbeat, blood pressure, etc. Geo-location stuff.

WE have VR stuff. AR stuff. Camera sensors are improving all the time. Cameras combined with spacial sensors attached to the body. pico-projectors.

Nintendo's philosophy has traditionally been to use cheap tech in new ways. And remember improvements to existing sensors/chips can suddenly change what they can be used for.

If the SCD thing does happen as a graphics enhancing box, expect the base NX to be closer to XB1 level of performance for pretty cheap. I suspect the SCD will also have NAS-like functions, allowing Nintendo to not include a large HDD in the console and reduce the cost.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Back at nintendo HQ

"Hey guys.. what about adding ONLINE play"

1.5/10--what is this, 2013?

Splatoon and Smash Bros are flawless online and plenty of other Nintendo games have great online play.

As for the OP, that patent about an attachment that converts TV screens to holographic/3D projections is intriguing and I wonder if that is the issue.

Now that is interesting. Aonuma involved in the hardware, you would think perhaps Zelda: BOTW NX would be something that takes full advantage of this hardware idea. Unlike Twlight Princess Wii. Perhaps there is a hint of what it could be in the WiiU version, right under our noses :p

Nintendo focus on the idea of new ways to play, so it would have something to do with the controls.

I've seen some musings that the UI of fast swapping weapons could point to a patent filed a while ago with scrolling wheel shoulder buttons.

Top Bottom