• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Nintendo can't comment on NX because of "an idea that we're working on"

This sounds like they don't want to spoil what the gimmick is going to be, and also sounds like the gimmick is pretty significant in defining the console.

This could go either way.

Yeah.

Equal parts intrigued and horrified.

I'm going to buy one regardless, but I'd really like for whatever NX is not to be a dud.

Matbtz

I am betting the farm on one of two things, or both combined.
Supplemental Computing Device (SCD)

Perhaps they’ve perfected it and then it makes complete sense to sell a system as weak as Xbone for 199 because you can give gamers the options of enhancing their own experience by as much as they want. Perhaps using PC like settings to determine the fidelity of your game based on what kind of SCD you’re using. Then all the rumors would make sense. Even the handheld could possibly offset some physics/AI and other things to servers/ PnP as they stated, I’d imagine having fully animated, semi interactive sky boxes with hundreds of things going on, or a really intricate night time or day time sky, more intricate weather systems etc.

That’d be a real revolution and it could work for both. Could be why some “leaks” have said its pretty impressive, and others have said not so much.

This one is a bit more out there but:

Advanced AR

Some kind of advance in AR in a way which makes it affordable and fun, like NX mobile platform comes with “glasses” which give you an augmented view. I imagine playing pokemon and actually seeing the pokemon in real life battle would be pretty amazing. Or Yugioh or something and having an actual card battle, but a Magic: the Gathering game where you see the battle taking place in real time. Maybe even allow people with said AR glasses or NX portable to also watch these battles, then it can bring back table top gaming/social interaction in a huge way, which we know Nintendo is keen on. And for the console AR glasses could do something as simple as display communication chatter or something or a small hud which comes up if you glance at it, or any number of things.

It’s something which could also work outside of just gaming, like a google glasses done right, in a more mainstream, simple direction ala Nintendo.

I could see the SCD be a thing but maybe later. I don't think it can be the "new way to play" and what's the appeal for the casual gamer/families etc ? It can be the only "gimmick".

As for the AR, it could be it but I would prefer a more traditional way to play, a new revolution on a standard controller.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Fixed. I'm sure it depends on the kinda games you play, but I love the ps dpad. It doesn't affect your argument tho. Nintendo have been trailblazers for a while. They have missteps but it doesn't mean Sony/MS aren't watching closely.

I mean, you're welcome to your opinion and all but I mean...

PS1-d-pad.jpg

Yikes.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
An idea huh? But the Wii U GamePad was an idea. And look how that turned out!

In all seriousness, it's kind of odd that they're still working on the NX concept this close to its launch. He has to be referring to a game here, because the hardware can't NOT be finalized at this point.
Nobody said they were working on the 'nx concept'.

If I said I was working on my car here, I might be fixing the darn lock of the driver's door. Or I might be doing the livery of a fully-functional racer. That's far from me sitting in front of a white sheet of paper with a pencil in my hand, about to start sketching my car.

Blobbers

Nintendo needs to learn one simple lesson if they're going with the innovation route. Make games that literally have the gimmick in their dna, don't just cram the gimmick in normal games.

Etrian Odyssey touch controls - great franchise
2 Zelda DS games where you control Link exclusively by poking the itty bitty screen - barf

Nintendo could be a true leader if they created a new way of playing games that resonated with the hardcore crowd. The thing about their gimmicks is even though they're not half-assed, they still feel half-assed when you look at the games.

September 20th, Kyoto. Nintendo has finally unvieled their long awaited next gen gaming console, the NX. Legendary games creator Shigeru Miyamoto demonstrated a new Mario and Zekda game on stage. After the demo Mr. Miyamoto put the console on his head, demonstrating the unique new feature of their NX. The device can be worn as a hat, a first for a videogaming console. When asked why Nintendo chose to have the NX wearable as an ordinary hat Miyamoto replied: "I like hats. (Laugh)"

They already said they're not doing it because of price.

Correct, but the price may have changed, or they could have suddenly realized they can reuse the Virtual Boy spinning mirror setup, or something. This was one of the least committing statements possible.

The trickier part is that Sony is obviously pushing VR at the moment, so that's definitely not a blue ocean. The less tricky part is that Nintendo could release VR SKU as the third form of NX if it is what we think it is, and moreover they will already have nice-yet-relatively-low-poly models for the handheld SKU to reduce latency a little.

gamerMan

Nintendo needs to learn one simple lesson if they're going with the innovation route. Make games that literally have the gimmick in their dna, don't just cram the gimmick in normal games.

Etrian Odyssey touch controls - great franchise
2 Zelda DS games where you control Link exclusively by poking the itty bitty screen - barf

Nintendo could be a true leader if they created a new way of playing games that resonated with the hardcore crowd. The thing about their gimmicks is even though they're not half-assed, they still feel half-assed when you look at the games.

Exactly, if there is going to be innovation, you have to think how it will benefit every game you are going to make. The only game that made of the Wii U gamepad was Mario Maker all the other implementation were shoehorned.

But if you take a look at the N64 game controller, it affected not only every game on the console but every game that came after it. That's real innovation.

I really don't want anymore gimmicks, but honestly, WHAT technology is out there that we don't already know about that could surprise us? What technology (or use that hasn't been thought of) is far enough along that it's ready for primetime? Likely it's something already established, so I..dunno. At this point, I'm ready for something other than an announcement announcing that nothing can be announced.

Who am I kidding?

Day one.

Sigh.

Jubenhimer

That's not exactly a great argument.

I liked motion controls, but remind me again what the current state of them is? Kinect is more or less dead, the Wiimote is dead, and pretty much the only notable uses of gyro controls in the past few years have been Splatoon and Star Fox, and in Star Fox's case it was extremely divisive. I liked dual screens on the DS consoles, but they haven't been particularly well-utilized in ages and dual screens flopped miserably on the Wii U (for good reason).

Breath of the Wild, a game that is shaping up to be perhaps one of Nintendo's biggest AAA games ever, uses neither. If that's not proof Nintendo's modern gimmicks have failed to catch on, I don't know what is.

On the contrary, the Wii Remote is still supported in most Wii U games. And VR is incorperating motion controls. So it's not that they failed to catch on, it's just that Nintendo has failed to make good long-term use of them. They to be more committed to these gimmicks and execute them properly in the future instead of just making them one and done deals.

That's nice, Nintendo. Let us know when you want to tell us about the gaming platform you want to sell us. A little tired of being told what we won't be told.

TheJoRu

Breath of the Wild, a game that is shaping up to be perhaps one of Nintendo's biggest AAA games ever, uses neither. If that's not proof Nintendo's modern gimmicks have failed to catch on, I don't know what is.

I mostly agree with your post, but Zelda uses the same kind of motion controls seen in other recent console Zeldas and in Splatoon. They've found a lot of great, subtle (but effective) uses for gyro controls on Wii U.

18-Volt

I literally can't think of anything else except holograms. All other novel ideas have already been tried. Camera move detection, wiggle waggle, 3D screens, screens on controllers, VR...

I literally can't think of anything else except holograms. All other novel ideas have already been tried. Camera move detection, wiggle waggle, 3D screens, screens on controllers, VR...

There was a patent where you interacted with a pico projector built into the controller/handheld. Example was catching and throwing a baseball. I'm not saying it's that for sure, but that seems "Nintendo" enough.

jblank83

They need more time to perfect the holographic toasting mechanism.

Focus groups thought the toast was a little too burnt.

Ivan 3414

I liked motion controls, but remind me again what the current state of them is? Kinect is more or less dead, the Wiimote is dead, and pretty much the only notable uses of gyro controls in the past few years have been Splatoon and Star Fox, and in Star Fox's case it was extremely divisive. I liked dual screens on the DS consoles, but they haven't been particularly well-utilized in ages and dual screens flopped miserably on the Wii U (for good reason).

Nintendo's focus on motion controls led them to being the market leader last gen; Microsoft and Sony followed Nintendo's lead with motion controls, and in Microsoft's case, it was pretty damn profitable for them. It's true that motion controls have fallen to the wayside this gen, but that doesn't counter my point. Motion controls not doing well this gen doesn't retroactively negate the success of the Wii era.

If NX's "gimmick" is a success on the level of the Wii, and it corners a market that its competitors have not, it's very likely Sony and Microsoft will try to emulate it. They aren't going to leave that money alone because "Oh, but what if that gimmick fails next next gen". They won't put up so much money into it that it will sink them if it underperforms. They'll just drop support like they're doing now.

Banned
Sounds more like a matter of negotiations and non disclosure agreements. Might be some partnerships and acquisitions going on.
There's two acquisitions apparently. Maybe that's where the $100M that's unaccounted for went to?

But it sounds like another gimmick is coming.

AR projectors? HUD being projected in a room?

tr1p1ex

And yet of the three, the current market leader by a massive margin is the one that right out of the gate publically committed to just "following advancements in technology". And the one in distant last is the one most heavily committed to doing the opposite. Hmm.

Nintendo has had great success doing new things. And Sony has had great success doing the status quo. Not sure what your point is.

Neither way is fool proof nor foolhardy.

Speely

Banned
I really think it's gonna be a SCD thing with scalable power and a handheld as the controller/SCD. I think they made it work. Tales from my ass, but whatevs.

eMpTy23

Just like dual screens were dumb and motion controls were dumb

I think dual screens are dumb, and I think the only time I've ever enjoyed motion controls is when playing RE4 on the Wii. I'm definitely curious about the NX gimmick, but I'm also definitely not excited for it.

MDave

If the idea doesn't get in the way of the game, but enhances it, I'm all for it. What hasn't been invented yet for gaming at this point though?

I liked motion controls, but remind me again what the current state of them is?

Every device has a controller with them and they're used on all VR platforms. Next. I'm not saying VR controllers having them is a reaction to the Wii, but Sony and MS' offerings were definitely reactive and the Wii was the first super popular consumer electronic that used them

MDave

Isn't that like asking who hasn't been born yet?

No, because those that are savvy with electronic tech and know what is currently available, mass producible and cheap enough will understand we haven't had any of those ideas that fit those criteria since Wii remote / VR. And VR is not exactly cheap.

Gilby

I'd love to see a company make a controller that's only analog sticks on top and paddles/triggers underneath. Ideally with separate hands and motion sensors (kinda like the vive, but with sticks instead of the pads).

I don't think Nintendo will do that (probably something weirder), but I'd like to see it.

What it probably is is the interconnection between console/handheld and the ability to connect between mulitiple NX devices of multiple users.

Pizza

Gimmick should be a universal stand you can put your phone on and connect to an app that lets the device work as a second screen. Also you should be able to connect unlimited phones via the app, providing all sorts of cool multiplayer possibilities

Or it's the Wii remote 3

KingBroly

Banned
Correct, but the price may have changed, or they could have suddenly realized they can reuse the Virtual Boy spinning mirror setup, or something. This was one of the least committing statements possible.

The trickier part is that Sony is obviously pushing VR at the moment, so that's definitely not a blue ocean. The less tricky part is that Nintendo could release VR SKU as the third form of NX if it is what we think it is, and moreover they will already have nice-yet-relatively-low-poly models for the handheld SKU to reduce latency a little.

Doubt it. They said if it were something more common they'd talk about it, and VR is kinda common and out there right now, so there'd be no point in hiding it if it were VR.

Not to mention VR is still very expensive. For PS4, it's $750. For PC, it's over $1,000. That's simply not a start point for Nintendo.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The SCDs I find the most reasonable, but with Nintendo you'll never know so it could be something really exotic like a system focused on TEPS or big data, or a console with a powerful FPGA. That's only suggestions of course. In one way or another, SCDs very much seem like something that would go well with Nintendo's image.

What it probably is is the interconnection between console/handheld and the ability to connect between mulitiple NX devices of multiple users.
The SCD patent describes this.

LeleSocho

Banned
Taking this as good and not as marketing/PR bullcrap:
Not having everything set in stone even idea-wise mere months from release is alarming.

Top Bottom