• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Nintendo can't comment on NX because of "an idea that we're working on"

tr1p1ex

No, because those that are savvy with electronic tech and know what is currently available, mass producible and cheap enough will understand we haven't had any of those ideas that fit those criteria since Wii remote / VR. And VR is not exactly cheap.

YOu asked what hasn't been invented for gaming yet.

You didn't say there hasn't been any big inventions lately besides the wiimote and VR.

But I would also disagree with the latter statement because, in between those, Nintendo brought glasses-free 3d to gaming with the 3ds. It messed around with AR on the 3ds. It brought off-tv play for a games console with lag-free wireless streaming of games. It also brought a touchscreen, NFC reader, camera, stereo speakers and tv remote to its console game controller.

Rösti;208525476 said:
The SCDs I find the most reasonable, but with Nintendo you'll never know so it could be something really exotic like a system focused on TEPS or big data, or a console with a powerful FPGA. That's only suggestions of course. In one way or another, SCDs very much seem like something that would go well with Nintendo's image.

The SCD patent describes this.

Patents don't get implemented in products for years if at all.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I'm down. Nintendo keeps things exciting and unpredictable when they're working on new consoles. I hope they take their time.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
These comments have me slightly worried about the outcome of the Q&A of Nintendo's 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders tomorrow (June 29, 10:00 AM JST). While I don't expect any greater news from that I do expect shareholders to ask quite a few questions about NX. If Mr. Kimishima is going to continue with vague answers, I cannot imagine a very cheerful meeting. Hopefully we get some kind of NX news, but Mr. Miyamoto's comments don't exactly fill me with joy.

Patents don't get implemented in products for years if at all.
That may very well be true, but that patent will most likely be issued (full) this month. I've spoken to the inventor, and he's very excited about it.

Also, the SCDs don't have to be ready day one, they can be released sometimes after launch once the initial hype has deflated. The SCDs are in my opinion a clever way to rather easily upgrade a console.

Regginator

None of their gimmicks were gimmicks just for the sake of it. The Wii controls were revolutionary and most of their first-party games used it very well, with Skyward Sword as a prime example (too bad it wasn't as good in a gameplay design perspective, but that's a discussion for another day), and while the Wii U wasn't as well implemented as its predecessor, the off-screen experience alone was worth it for the Gamepad.

In Nintendo we trust. Whatever the NX turns out to be.

120v

when nintendo decided to skip 2016 i figured something was still in the oven

hopefully the thing isn't a "kitchen sink" approach of disparate ideas cobbled together

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Rösti;208526100 said:
These comments have me slightly worried about the outcome of the Q&A of Nintendo's 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders tomorrow (June 29, 10:00 AM JST). While I don't expect any greater news from that I do expect shareholders to ask quite a few questions about NX. If Mr. Kimishima is going to continue with vague answers, I cannot imagine a very cheerful meeting. Hopefully we get some kind of NX news, but Mr. Miyamoto's comments don't exactly fill me with joy.

And the fact it sounds like Nintendo is actively working on the tech makes me question the supposed early 2017 release. Calling this now. No NX Stateside until fall of 2017 at the earliest.

Akhe

I know what they are hiding;

giphy.gif

"There's no play like it"

Oregano

Rösti;208526100 said:

Well I imagine "We're going to hold an event in September where we'll detail NX" would probably be a decent amount of info.

Also what about the puck patent with the projector and camera and the patent to map touch to real objects and stuff? Really wonder if they'll got for some form of AR.

Baleoce

If there's still a fundamental idea in the core design of the system that's still being worked on, can this system really come out when we're expecting it to?

Mariolee

I hope when they unveil the NX this fall through a live press conference, they reveal it's an empty glass case because it's purely an idea.

balohna

I know people literally let go from a Nitendo-affiliated studio because Nintendo didn't want contract employees to know what NX was. The game they were working on wasn't even done.

Nintendo don't play.

Kimawolf

Well I imagine "We're going to hold an event in September where we'll detail NX" would probably be a decent amount of info.

Also what about the puck patent with the projector and camera and the patent to map touch to real objects and stuff? Really wonder if they'll got for some form of AR.
Im betting on AR. It could be pretty amazing. As i said in my post
This one is a bit more out there but:

Advanced AR

Some kind of advance in AR in a way which makes it affordable and fun, like NX mobile platform comes with “glasses” which give you an augmented view. I imagine playing pokemon and actually seeing the pokemon in real life battle would be pretty amazing. Or Yugioh or something and having an actual card battle, but a Magic: the Gathering game where you see the battle taking place in real time. Maybe even allow people with said AR glasses or NX portable to also watch these battles, then it can bring back table top gaming/social interaction in a huge way, which we know Nintendo is keen on. And for the console AR glasses could do something as simple as display communication chatter or something or a small hud which comes up if you glance at it, or any number of things.

It’s something which could also work outside of just gaming, like a google glasses done right, in a more mainstream, simple direction ala Nintendo.

PSqueak

Banned
remember people, this is the guy that was keeping double dash a secret because he thought other devs were gonna copy it because the double car seat was so brilliant.

To be fair, One of the crash bandicoot racing games did copy the idea of two seater karts.

jax

Banned
"We have not been able to launch it as a commercial product because we could not get it to work as we expected and it was of narrower application than we had originally thought," he told investors. According to Iwata's estimates, approximately 90 out of 100 people were able to use the Vitality Sensor without a hitch, though he (thankfully) requires that it work with "1,000 of 1,000 people." However, he admitted "but [since we use the living body signal with individual differences] it is a little bit of a stretch to make it applicable to every single person." He'd still love to make the Vitality Sensor a reality "if technology enhancements" allow, but thus far, testing renders it "insufficient as a commercial product."

Now I'm 2009-style hyped.

MDave

YOu asked what hasn't been invented for gaming yet.

You didn't say there hasn't been any big inventions lately besides the wiimote and VR.

But I would also disagree with the latter statement because, in between those, Nintendo brought glasses-free 3d to gaming. It brought off-tv play for a games console with lag-free wireless streaming of games to a touchscreen on a game controller that also had an NFC reader, camera, stereo speakers and tv remote etc on it.

I guess my second post wasn't clear enough.

I'm talking about the chips, sensors, the individual components, all those kind of things that get put into gaming controllers/accessories eventually. New tech, not old tech that has been around for ages like NFC and touchscreens and cameras and stereo speakers that came before being put into a controller. There hasn't been any recent breakthrough in new types of sensors for example. Better gyros, but its not new but improvement on old tech.

And this is a console that was getting ready for launch for this fall (meaning this idea has been around at least a year e.g. R/D, testing, mass producing) before pushing it to March to get more games ready.

tr1p1ex

Rösti;208526100 said:

worry all you want. ...but they will reveal it when they reveal it. And in the meantime you'll get vague answers.

Rösti;208526100 said:
Also, the SCDs don't have to be ready day one, they can be released sometimes after launch once the initial hype has deflated. The SCDs are in my opinion a clever way to rather easily upgrade a console.

It would be a lot of help if there was a dedicated socket though. Attaching through USB could work, but wouldn't be nearly as useful. And with the way things are build today, extra port doesn't make much sense otherwise. So, well.

timshundo

It's weird when people still call Nintendo controllers/consoles gimmicks when they're the ONLY ONES trying to do something fresh. Like there's no scale from mundane to interesting features in the industry anymore, it's just "controller with 4 color buttons and some sticks" or "GIMMICK."

I am betting the farm on one of two things, or both combined.
Supplemental Computing Device (SCD)

Perhaps they’ve perfected it and then it makes complete sense to sell a system as weak as Xbone for 199 because you can give gamers the options of enhancing their own experience by as much as they want. Perhaps using PC like settings to determine the fidelity of your game based on what kind of SCD you’re using. Then all the rumors would make sense. Even the handheld could possibly offset some physics/AI and other things to servers/ PnP as they stated, I’d imagine having fully animated, semi interactive sky boxes with hundreds of things going on, or a really intricate night time or day time sky, more intricate weather systems etc.

That’d be a real revolution and it could work for both. Could be why some “leaks” have said its pretty impressive, and others have said not so much.

This is 100% what I expect and also why we keep hearing rumors of the system using carts. We could get Xbox One level graphics right out of the gate and then cartridges could just have expansion chips in them as technology advances allowing for better graphics and whatnot.

MDave

It's weird when people still call Nintendo controllers/consoles gimmicks when they're the ONLY ONES trying to do something fresh. Like there's no scale from mundane to interesting features in the industry anymore, it's just "controller with 4 color buttons and some sticks" or "GIMMICK."

Hey now, don't forget Sony were the ONLY ONES to put a touch pad on the back of their handheld console! And they even put one on the front of their home console controller! :p
And Sega with the Dreamcast were the ONLY ONES to make a fishing controller!

Top Bottom