• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Nintendo can't comment on NX because of "an idea that we're working on"

Alebrije

Übermatik;208529869 said:
Do you think it could look something like this?

dell_equallogic_blade_array_1.jpg

It's about this

Nintendo-Patent1.png

what-ok

In an effort to sell more WiiU dead stock the NX system will have the option to connect to a pre existing WiiU console for added processing power, freeing up the NX to take care of more high performance functions.
HAHAHAHA

HeySeuss

Yes we were going to build an arsenal with the NX. But I didn't put all my chips on number though because I was playing something riskier. There was an idea... Miyamoto knows this. Called the NX initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable developers to see if they could become something more. To see if they could come together when we needed them to, to make the games we never could. Iwata died still believing in that idea...in gameplay. Well I guess it is just an old fashioned idea.

This... doesn't sound good for a March 2017 launch. If it's an idea they are working on, and the reveal would hinge on it, it sounds like something fairly vital right?

But, these comments are so vague that it could ultimately mean anything so... I guess we all just keep waiting!

Jubenhimer

Cannot wait to see what their wizards have created.

I just hope they REALLY think it through and make sure it does actually achieve its goals. While I will not deny that the Wii's motion controls were brilliant at launch....quickly we saw the very real limitations... which brought us the motion plus add-on. Which was also great (We used it on all Wii games moving forward), but an add-on, so it didnt have universal support :(

Until they let me down I am going to give them the benefit of any doubt.
I'd say the Wii Remote's limitations were due to the fact that they [Nintendo] couldn't get the technology they wanted right away at a good price. Vanilla Wii Remote while limited, still had some good uses. But I agree that motion plus was probably what Nintendo really had in mind for the Wii Remote.

Jubenhimer

I know that's why I joked about it.

That said, I am curious why people keep asking Miyamoto and not Aonuma on this stuff, the former isn't even involved in this hardware. Aonuma's on record saying he's been heavily involved with the NX development and design.
Wait he said this? When?

wildfire

Banned
If the supplementary computer device thing is legit, the reality might not be too far off, if the NX is a device that is able to interact with other devices like the supplementary device patent suggested, rigging the NX to run "on your computer" might not be impossible.

I never heard of this patent speculation till now. That would be amazing.

Yep. Let me play Zelda on my computer and I'm there. That would be a great thing for Nintendo.
I disagree completely. We already have consoles that are basically static (or not-so-much with mid-cycle revisions) PCs. Nintendo falls flat with some of their experiments, but I appreciate that they do their own hardware.

Schnozberry

It isn't reaching in the least. If they are still "working on an idea" with the console supposedly being less than a year away, that tells me that they lack confidence in their vision. I don't blame them. Where do they fit in this current climate? What can they do that will make them stand out?

If BotW is going to be a launch title, that alone tells me they feel like they need that game in order to sell their new hardware. It's a good strategy because no significant amount of people even bought a Wii U. If their new idea fails, the new Zelda is another way to incentivize people to buy a NX.

You're attaching your own philosophical questions to Miyamoto's statement. All he said was that they are working on a idea, and that information would have come out sooner if all they were doing was keeping up with the Jones' in terms of hardware.

Not revealing your idea until it's ready is not a statement of confidence or lack thereof. It's just good business. If they had brought out the Wii Controller prior to having decent software to prove the concept it might have failed too.

DekuLink

Maybe the rumor about Nintendo adding VR is true?

This actually makes it sound less possible that VR is the thing. After all, why say "we are working on an idea" it they just are following the latest trend.

And why say "If it was just a matter of following advancements in technology, things would be coming out a lot quicker." if they are just following advancements in technology, that VR is.

Can't we just have a console that plays games as good as the competition or better, a good OS with good online features, a controller as good as or better than the competition and no software droughts thanks to third party support and first party support?

Is that too much to ask? It seems they are intent on offering something different yet that defining feature or "gimmick" does not last past a generation and many gamers end up going back to the traditional console set up or PC gaming.

Looks like a holiday release.

2017? yeah I agree.

I don't know if its a poor translation, but Miyamoto referring to the NX as "an idea we're working on" probably won't give the investors much confidence that the system will release March of 2017 like they said at the annual investors meeting. At this point I would be shocked if it actually releases by then.

Lol no. Nintendo is too stupid and backward to implement this. And they do not have the content for VR, since they do not have 3rd party supports.

Metroid Prime VR, Luigis Mansion VR, Pikmin VR, Pilot Wings VR, Eternal Darkness VR, VR Sports, VR Party (ok, that´s a bad idea), Pokemon VR....

KrawlMan

Lol no. Nintendo is too stupid and backward to implement this. And they do not have the content for VR, since they do not have 3rd party supports.

You say "stupid and backward" but for once, I don't think it's dumb at all. VR is expensive and not yet proven. its going to remain too expensive for the near future, appealing to a small chunk of tech enthusiasts. It may grow into something much larger years down the line, but Nintendo shouldn't bother throwing money away to try to make it happen.

Nintendo gimmicks are the best gimmicks RIGHT?? Intrigued!!

DS's touch screen and Wii Remote were cool to some extent. I still think that 50% of what good they brought was achievable with a mouse for a decade, but it's not actively offensive. Nothing else really comes to mind as best from what we got. And yes, I still don't enjoy using analog thumb sticks.

You're attaching your own philosophical questions to Miyamoto's statement. All he said was that they are working on a idea, and that information would have come out sooner if all they were doing was keeping up with the Jones' in terms of hardware.

Not revealing your idea until it's ready is not a statement of confidence or lack thereof. It's just good business. If they had brought out the Wii Controller prior to having decent software to prove the concept it might have failed too.

I worked on a Wii dev kit prior to the release of the console. Motion controls were always apart of the equation. Of course software was going to be created with it in mind. If their new idea isn't fleshed by now, that gives very little time for developers to start making games with it in mind.

In any case, we don't even know if this idea will be gameplay related.

Ogodei

2017? yeah I agree.

I don't know if its a poor translation, but Miyamoto referring to the NX as "an idea we're working on" probably won't give the investors much confidence that the system will release March of 2017 like they said at the annual investors meeting. At this point I would be shocked if it actually releases by then.

Scott Moffit at NoA and the Nintendo Canada director both seem to be leaning heavily on a fall reveal, unless more trouble is brewing that Miyamoto knows about that they don't.

But i'm erring on this just being Miyamoto being roundabout about why they're not talking about it already (Japanese translation conventions and all).

Speely

Banned
Working in an idea sounds like this thing is still a ways off from production. Maybe it'll be pushed to fall 2017.

But we don't know what the idea is like. It could be something completely diff than you are thinking "this" represents and are just fine tuning for optimal user experience.

Jubenhimer

Looks like a holiday release.

He said he's been mainly working on the NX
version of Zelda U
But he's not really in charge of the system itself, just porting the game to it. It's not like he's making decisions on controller it should have or how powerful it should be.

Top Bottom