• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto prevented Wario and Waluigi from having girlfriends

Supast4r

Not even the mainline ones? So it's like a different universe or dimension every single time?

Btw that was more of a joke too kinda based on that meme that she secretly has a crush on bowser and gets herself kidnapped on purpose. ofcourse it's Mario she likes tho in the games:p
Yeah there isn't really any kind if recurring cannon in the Mario game outside of the series (paper Mario series is cannon to itself or the Mario and Luigi series is cannon to itself for example). Marios creator has said that the series is modeled after Popeye in terms of story telling.

13ruce

Banned
Miyamoto should have prevented Waluigi.

But then i could not buy that glorious amiibo, wich would mean Wario stands alone with no one else on his side :(

Yeah there isn't really any kind if recurring cannon in the Mario game outside of the series (paper Mario series is cannon to itself or the Mario and Luigi series is cannon to itself for example). Marios creator has said that the series is modeled after Popeye in terms of story telling.

Ah i really did not know that i assumed there was a crazy timeline like Zelda sort of lol or just a certain timeline. Anyway nice to know that now i really didn't.

Nice that games like paper mario and m&l are canon tho but that also makes sense.

_Rob_

Wario is asexual.

Waluigi is gay.

This is the basis for my 750 page graphic novel, Brothers in Arms, the cover of which depicts the two men embracing.

c3e.jpg

Zubz

Banned
Man, that Dorkly comment's cute. I really wish that was canon, but the way Wario's written, I don't see any situation where he would be in a relationship, period. He's too greedy & self-centered to give someone the time. And we haven't seen enough of Waluigi to know anything beyond "he's Wario's wacky sidekick who dances elegantly with a rose one game then crutch chops in the next."

Captain Syrup is arguably the closest we have to a female Wario, between her greed, her weird nose stuff, & seeing Wario as a rival. They should just throw her & some more spin-off characters into the cast ensemble games like Mario Kart.

As for Mona, my impression is that she actively likes Wario. But she's also 16, so that dream bubble thing is creepy & I'm not sure I want to process what that means on Wario's end.

This should really happen c'mon M&L team only listen to fans this time:p

This is probably the only thing that could get me interested in a new M&L again.

Biske

Dude ruins all the good stuff...

Was just dreaming last night of an awesome Wario and Waluigi game, full stop craziness.

18-Volt

That's too bad, I've always wondered how Wapeach and Wadiasy would look like. And Wayoshi. Watoad too. Wamario. Wawario and Wawaluigi.

Galang

Banned
The right choice considering Waluigi is a mess himself. Even though decades(?) have passed since his introduction... he will always be just a filler character and I will never recognize him as anything else. Just because he's been a staple in spin-offs doesn't make him any more substantial. Was so glad when he was omitted in MK7 and I'm ashamed Nintendo decided to reintroduce him. Adding a romantic interest would have been way too much.

So basically Miyamoto is against any kind of female character that isn't a traditionally attractive princess type. Score one for diversity of representation, Nintendo.

PaulBizkit

"We need new human characters to fill out our Mario Tennis roster."
"Okay do what we did for Mario with Wario, but for Luigi. Also make his name sound forced and unimaginative."

Maybe in English. But, in japanese, Waluigi is a better pun that Wario.

RUIJI = Luigi
WARUI = Bad (adj.)
WARUIJI = Bad Luigi

It's great!

It really wouldn't be an issue expanding the "human" cast of the Mario universe if their new characters weren't so derivative, predictable, and boring.

"We need a new badguy for Mario, he should be a human this time, and on equal footing ability-wise."
"Copy and paste Mario but make him more gross and evil looking, also flip the M upside down."
-------------------
"We need new human characters to fill out our Mario Tennis roster."
"Okay do what we did for Mario with Wario, but for Luigi. Also make his name sound forced and unimaginative."
-------------------
"We need some new human characters to expand the Mario Kart roster--"
"BABIES"
-------------------

I'm not saying I don't like Wario and Waluigi anyways but the baby characters and toadette are creative voids that bring down the rosters of their respective games as a whole. Wario's girlfriend would just be Wapeach so it's not even worth doing.
That's not how this works. Wario's name and Waluigi's name are portmanteaus of Mario's name and Luigi's name, respectively, with the Japanese adjective "warui" meaning "bad". Their names are literally "badmario" and "badluigi".

Edit: beaten

So a short excerpt from a Nintendo Power interview with the Mario Tennis developers popped up on Supper Mario Broth, where apparently Mr. Miyamoto was not too fond of Wario and Waluigi finding love.

DI0yn9jWsAArxK1.png

Seventeen years later, and Wario and Waluigi have yet to develop a romance, presumably due to Miyamoto's iron grip. Personally, I think I'm ready for some female Wah. Do you guys think this should stand?

Daisy and Luigi officially canon confirmation? Awesome!

Pandy

Waluigi deserves his own game already. It has been far too long. Give him his own game and give him all the girls.

This. The Waluigi derision in this thread is more disturbing than the talk of potential girlfriends.

Wario and Waluigi being gay doesn't preclude the existence of Wapeach and Wadaisy. It just means that Wapeach and Wadaisy are lesbian.

Sheesh, don't people even watch Star Trek before making Mirror Universe references?

Probably the best post in the thread.

Top Bottom