• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto prevented Wario and Waluigi from having girlfriends

Persona7

Banned
150px-Mona_WarioWare_Mega_Microgames.png

I thought Wario's partner is Mona?

*squints* why are mona's eyes green

Yeah, kind of. Only slightly original human anyways, as god damned Baby Rosalina was new in MK8.

And? Baby Mario was fine, it made sense as a story element and was pretty original. Of course Baby Luigi is fine too.

It was every god damned baby after that.

I'm fine with them in spinoffs (except Baby Rosalina).

It's Yoshi Island DS that really annoyed me.

yoshis-island-ds-playable-characters-baby-peach-luigi-mario-donkey-kong-wario-bowser-jr-review.jpg

They're all the exact same age?

And also have known each other since childhood?

tumblr_inline_n4ejm2sLXJ1sy4zww.gif

Someone's tapping that

Women have tried but Wario only cares about the gold baby!

SeQEhT.gif

Hence why Captain Syrup and him see eye to eye.

jonjY2.gif
ws--dv.gif

Now that I think of it, I wouldn't have mind seeing Peach get a female rival. Don't even have to be a Wa-person, but just straight up new character. Instead of a Princess, make her a Evil Queen, a sorta "other side" to King Bowser Koopa (but again, don't have to be a Koopa either).

daTRUballin

Well, it would've been interesting to see an evil version of Peach and Daisy. So this is somewhat disappointing, but not a big deal.

mas8705

I would think more people would be more concerned as to why Waluigi hasn't been in a Mario more, than the idea of not having a girlfriend...

13ruce

Banned
I'm fine with them in spinoffs (except Baby Rosalina).

It's Yoshi Island DS that really annoyed me.

yoshis-island-ds-playable-characters-baby-peach-luigi-mario-donkey-kong-wario-bowser-jr-review.jpg

They're all the exact same age?

And also have known each other since childhood?

Women have tried but Wario only cares about the gold baby!

SeQEhT.gif

Hence why Captain Syrup and him see eye to eye.

jonjY2.gif
ws--dv.gif

Wario World Shake It Dimension was hilarious, loved that game. 2D Mario should have a artstyle like that screw that NSMB look.

Lagamorph

I kinda see Wario and Waluigi as the Terrence and Philip of Mario.

So...people want a Mario version of the Queef Sisters then?

No No no it's like a fight club situation.

Unreliable narrator effect or whatever, we see though Mario.

Stop debating this it's totally fact.

NewGame

Banned
Wario is clearly into fast cars and fast women.

Waluigi is just one of those perpetual creeper guys.

Both hate what Mario and Luigi have so they cause trouble however they can.

Pretty much retelling the Cain and Abel story.

How come every single time I read something about Miyamoto it's about him blocking, preventing or vetoing a creative idea from someone else
Probably because you're looking for them.
Right, some stories about Miyamoto are the best, like his first play session with BOTW:

Yeah, some additional counterexamples, that may be of interest:

(1)
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-07-17-the-fanboys-making-the-next-mario-game
Soliani's clear enthusiasm at E3 2014 paid off. Miyamoto was impressed with the game, but doubly impressed with Soliani. "I fell in love with his passion," he says in a behind-the-scenes video.

[Miyamoto: “Davide-san was so incredibly passionate when explaining the idea. I fell in love with his passion, and that was the moment I realized this project could work.”]

The development legend [Miyamoto] then reassured the rest of Nintendo about the project, despite some initial concerns about the use of weapons.

"This was one of the first things internally at Nintendo that they asked themselves about, but Miyamoto-san said that he was totally ok with it, so we can proceed," Soliani explains. "It was a huge moment for me because I was aware it could have been one of the show stoppers. But you can see that this game is very joyful, colourful and humorous."

(2)
...in an interview Retrogamer magazine did with Gregg Mayles (DKC's lead designer) in 2010 had Mayles saying Miyamoto was actually one of the people who approved of DKC when he went to demo it at Nintendo's HQ (it was Gunpei Yokoi who didn't like it)
https://www.nowgamer.com/the-making-of-donkey-kong-country/
...Nintendo is known to be extremely shielding towards its IPs, so handing over one of its most iconic franchises is something that you’d expect would attract a tremendous amount of protocol and interference from the game giant, but Gregg says this wasn’t the case.

“Nintendo were extremely busy at the time so we were left to ourselves,” he says. “It was an unprecedented thing for them to do, entrusting one of their most prominent and fondly remembered IP’s with a relatively small and unknown UK development house. I was young and naive enough not to realise just how crucial this game was for Rare – all I wanted to do was create a game that could be remembered. Miyamoto provided us with some suggestions for DK’s look and it was a sketch of his that included the tie.”

[...]

We made a memorable visit to Nintendo’s HQ in Japan. I was surprisingly calm at the time, despite it being my first visit to what many would class as the Mecca of videogames,” says Gregg. “We were there to demo an early version of the game to the people that created the original character. It was the first time many of the people at Nintendo had seen the game, and our radical approach with the graphics didn’t initially go down too well. Mr Yokoi [Game Boy creator] remarked that ‘It looked too 3D’. Miyamoto was much quicker to appreciate what we had done and gave his approval. Mr Miyamoto and his staff used their unparalleled experience to give us some input on how we could smooth out a few rough edges and suggested that DK would look good with a hand-slap move. We thought this would be cool too, so even though we were only a few weeks away from the deadline we included it.”

And on the other hand, some additional context:
There may be a danger of blowing individual decisions out of proportion, possibly generalizing too broadly/intensely in the negative about Miyamoto (common here already), but there are interesting considerations of this type which Miyamoto himself acknowledged in discussion with Itoi (regarding Yokoi's remark to Miyamoto: "You're pretty negative..."), in case anyone is interested:
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-As...gative-/2-You-re-Pretty-Negative--217256.html
Miyamoto: I’ve tended to think of [Gunpei] Yokoi-san as my master. Once when I was in a meeting with him, he said to me, “You’re pretty negative,” and that really shocked me… But when he said that, I realised Yokoi-san was quite positive… But I wasn’t intending to be negative. I thought about what he might mean and realised that when I think about something, I have a tendency first to draw up a list of what can’t be done. For example, when it comes to what can and can’t be done with the NES, it was really important for me to know a lot about what can’t be done … So when I think about something, I draw up a list of everything that won’t work. If there’s an idea according to which doing one thing means something else won’t work, I focus on what won’t work. Certainly, that is negative. So which is better, negative or positive? Well, both are important, they need to coexist. Someone who only sees the positive is just a blind optimist… Right. So I think perhaps the right thing to do is become positive when it’s time to say “Let’s go!” and really get cracking…

Shigesato Itoi: I agree. When Yokoi-san said you were negative, he was speaking as someone who bore responsibility for production or close to such a position… So, to exaggerate, the negative person doesn’t mind focusing only on quality even if the product doesn’t get finished. But when it must be finished somehow, if you just complain and don’t do anything, you can’t sleep well that night… Because you must finish sometime. In the end, you have to be able to say, “This is good enough.” So you can’t stay negative… But both attitudes are necessary... Getting positive when it’s time to really get cracking is what the person who is responsible for the project should do...

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/twilight_princess/0/3
Aonuma: ...So, for instance early on in the development process, when young developers encounter Miyamoto-san's input from the outside, a lot of them probably think things like: "Do we really have to pay attention to such tiny details?" or "Surely we don't have to worry that much about something like that?" However, when everything starts fitting together into its final form, they understand what he was doing and they'll say: "Ah, I get it! It turns out this way, so we really did need to do that from the start!" When they were working on making the game, they couldn't see this... 

Iwata: One thing I have always admired about Miyamoto-san is how incredible he is at coming up with ideas that make use of the existing materials when he makes his criticisms. Most people who upend tables are more likely to throw away those materials, but Miyamoto-san is very aware of how wasteful that is. Even if his suggestion means that something can't be used in the same place anymore, he makes other suggestions about where else it can be used... It's another thing about him that doesn't really match the image that is portrayed by the phrase "upending the tea table."

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wario is clearly into fast cars and fast women.

Waluigi is just one of those perpetual creeper guys.

Both hate what Mario and Luigi have so they cause trouble however they can.

Pretty much retelling the Cain and Abel story.

so what if it's a female fast car

_____

Banned
Why the hell would you develop a romance anyways? Its not like nintendo would do anything with them that means anything to the general public. Everyone knows peach is mario's love interest and that's it, its enough to sell copies.

Johndoey

Banned
It's pretty crazy that an abomination of a character like waluigi even exists. I'm glad they left it at that.

The fuck is this basic shit? Waluigi is that dude.

Mario is chained to his job, Luigi is a pathetic waste destined to forever be in Mario's shadow, Wario has lost himself to untamed greed. Waluigi though? Waluigi don't give a fuck about a goddamn thing; he's here, in the moment, living life to it's fullest.

Zubz

Banned
Get those abomination of pictures away from me!

It's so sad! Why must everything involve making someone else get hurt guys? Just make up some new partners for them!

What? I know people want to imagine fictional characters they're attracted to remain single for "purity purposes," but people can create fanart about non-canon couples, even if it ruins that "purity," or if the 2 characters are clearly in different leagues like they are here. Waluigi can lower his standards if he wants.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Mario is chained to his job, Luigi is a pathetic waste destined to forever be in Mario's shadow, Wario has lost himself to untamed greed. Waluigi though? Waluigi don't give a fuck about a goddamn thing; he's here, in the moment, living life to it's fullest.
well he needs a hobby with unemployment

Motherfucker lied on his taxes to remain a dependent with his mom past the age of 30, we all know this.

Top Bottom