• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: "Retro (the developer) might be a good fit for Zelda."

I sincerely believe that cutting 99% of the exposition, story and dialogue would make Zelda a better game. Even with EAD's habits with the franchise.

Here's my thesis. For one, it takes away a very easy out to be lazy and repetitive with game design. Something the last three Zelda's have suffered from, in one form or another...ALL were rationalized by a story motive to drive that repetition in the design. Repetitive fetch quests, go here do this, talk to X or Y, field-dungeon-puzzle, cutscene after cutscene. The use of a "story" was used as a framework to make these things possible, and it was a bad idea compared to what could have been done without a story. Why do we need to do a fetch quest for a Water Dragon...because the "story" demands it and we must fall in line to what the story wants. Two, it removes a easy and tired tradition of using filler and padding to "give weight" to a experience. Story filler is everywhere in Zelda and it's unnecessary and downright lazy to use that as an escape as opposed to creating new and creative set pieces and gameplay scenarios.

Take as a opposing methodology the SMG games, very little repetition and filler comparatively. They threw out the idea of rationalization using a story and instead created fun, exciting and engaging gameplay that built on itself, rather than the story.

In short, Zelda's story needs to retire. It was badly implemented and counter productive to what Nintendo does best anyway. Give it to Retro because I'm more inclined they would make this happen compared to EAD.

Valygar

I think it's a nice idea.Zelda Minish Cap is one of my favourite zelda (I like it more than the 2 Ds Zeldas), and it was outsourced as well, so why not?. And Retro is one of the best studios out there. I think it would be more interesting if they let Retro create a new IP (and I think Nintendo needs new ones), but well, it's good enough.

mantidor

Someone's gotta say it.

Steampunk is stupid.

Steampunk is stupid now, but it used to be awesome. Now people think putting cogs and goggles on things makes them steampunk. If we get an universe similar to the steampunk universe of, say, the Thief series, it could be pretty amazing.

Levyne

Banned
People liked Minish Cap? I thought it was the worst (official) Zelda ever, only to be outdone by the DS games.

Would love 2-d Zelda in the like of LA/OOA/OOS

wrowa

The thought of getting a Zelda game with Retro's fantastic attention to detail when it comes to art design makes me giggle. I'm not sure how much creativity is still left inside the studio after the departures (DKCR was a great game, but to this date I'm not sure what was done by Retro and what by Nintendo), but in any case I would gladly welcome any change to the series.

I loved Skyward Sword, and I loved how it shaked up the classical Zelda formula, but at the end it still was too much rooted in old traditions and conventions that don't seem up to date anymore. I'd love to see what a collaboration with another studio would do for the franchise.

People liked Minish Cap? I thought it was the worst (official) Zelda ever, only to be outdone by the DS games.

Would love 2-d Zelda in the like of LA/OOA/OOS
The story is so terrible that I felt insulted by the game, but apart of that? It's a pretty good game. In any case better than the Oracle games. Those always felt like a strange rom hack to me.

Steampunk is stupid now, but it used to be awesome. Now people think putting cogs and goggles on things makes them steampunk. If we get an universe similar to the steampunk universe of, say, the Thief series, it could be pretty amazing.
It doesn't have to be steampunk, but I would really welcome a change in setting. The same old fantasy style is getting boring by now; even though the graphical design of the series changes often, the actual setting always feels very same-y.

Anth0ny

But I would say that if you blatantly deny any similarity to OoT in regards to presentation, gameplay and story structure then you simply haven't played the game. The influence is there, and in obvious ways. A lot of people want to see major changes to the franchise. Have it go into completely uncharted territory.

I think Retro could do it.

So another Majora's Mask. No Hyrule, no Ganon and no Zelda. Gameplay changes on the level of Deku/Goron/Zora mask. I'd be down for that.

Now that this "Retro is working on a Wii U game" rumor is floating around, I'm going to be disappointed if we don't get a Last of Us/Metal Gear Rising-esque trailer. Retro's had a team working on Zelda Wii U for 2 years! It'll be out in 2013!

kodecraft

So, in my version, Zelda is middle-aged and married to a king, as all rulers are wed to those with the "Blood of the Sages", women who have gifts like foresight, magic, and healing. Link is a sword instructor in a tiny village in this kingdom, who travels to the king in order to offer his yearly tribute. He is accompanied by other instructors from the village; a gruff old alchemist (who handles your potions), a brash young blacksmith (crafting) and a female mage-in-training (who functions like Navi).

Zelda would also have a sister, similarly wed to another kingdom. This sister slays her husband, kidnaps Zelda, and tries to gather the usual Zelda relics so she can perform a powerful ritual. It turns out that the land the game starts in is actually the Sacred Realm, sealed away to prevent Magic from being abused ever again, and the Sister wants to break the barrier between the worlds so she can conquer the land outside; Hyrule.

Hyrule, as it turns out, has developed limited technology (not quite full-blown Steampunk but close) to compensate for the lack of magic and is divided between several kingdoms. One of these is ruled by Ganondorf, who has been influencing Zelda's sister so they can conquer Hyrule together with the magic that has been sealed away.

Along the way, it is revealed that Zelda and her sister were once abducted from the Sacred Realm, and another "Sacred Hero" had to venture into Hyrule to rescue them; the gruff old Alchemist. They were aided by a young Ganondorf, who joined up with the Alchemist on his journey and helped rescue the sisters so he could tip the balance of power so the Gerudo could gain a foothold in Hyrule.

While returning to the Sacred Realm, the old Hero and Zelda fell in love (Zelda eventually has a child; the young mage-girl who's been helping Link.) Ganondorf and Zelda's sister also fell in love, and formed their plan to break the barrier between realms and be together again.

So, there's a nice duality there; an old and new pair of Zeldas and Heroes.

The Second Quest is actually a multiplayer component where players assume the role of the old Hero, Zelda, her sister and Ganondorf. They travel through the same dungeons Link does, but in the past. So you have cool stuff like "Why is this pillar blocking my way" in the single player game, only to see that Zelda and her companions had to knock it down in the past to proceed with their own quest. It also helps fill in the backstory, of course.

Boo away!

Nah, keep it Zelda-ish....this sounds like some other RPG ish.

I see a shitload of text about plot, but no details about actual gameplay or game design. This approach to Zelda is hence rejected. :p

Agreed.

Hylian7

The thought of getting a Zelda game with Retro's fantastic attention to detail when it comes to art design makes me giggle. I'm not sure how much creativity is still left inside the studio after the departures (DKCR was a great game, but to this date I'm not sure what was done by Retro and what by Nintendo), but in any case I would gladly welcome any change to the series.

I loved Skyward Sword, and I loved how it shaked up the classical Zelda formula, but at the end it still was too much rooted in old traditions and conventions that don't seem up to date anymore. I'd love to see what a collaboration with another studio would do for the franchise.

The story is so terrible that I felt insulted by the game, but apart of that? It's a pretty good game. In any case better than the Oracle games. Those always felt like a strange rom hack to me.

Retro did all the retro tracks in Mario Kart 7 as well as DK Jungle.

Minish Cap has the best dungeon in 2D Zelda history. For that reason alone, it's a great game.

Minish Cap's biggest accomplishment was not the dungeons, but rather the world design. It was so densely packed that it was simply astounding. So much so, that Skyward Sword's environment design is directly inspired by it! (abundant shortcuts and all!)

Levyne

Banned
I remember booting up MC again several years after first playing it, thinking "you know what? I'm gonna 100% this, get all kinfusions, heart pieces, etc"

I noticed my cartridge had already had such a file. My brain must have repressed the memories. I swapped the cart with LTTP gba right then for my Zelda fix, haha.

Yes, I 100%ed a game I didn't really like, because it was Zelda :/

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
minish cap? retro?

q5Fa9.jpg

BurntPork

Banned
I'm... indifferent. I've seen absolutely nothing that makes me think they can make a Zelda game.

On the other hand, it seems that most people want the next Zelda to be unrecognizable as a Zelda game beyond characters and genre (EDIT: perhaps not even genre), so I guess it might save the IP.

Red

Minish Cap's biggest accomplishment was not the dungeons, but rather the world design. It was so densely packed that it was simply astounding. So much so, that Skyward Sword's environment design is directly inspired by it! (abundant shortcuts and all!)

Yes, I noticed that while playing. SS is closest to MC in terms of design. Even the writing is similar.

The most exciting thing about "Retro making Zelda" is imagining what they could do visually on WiiU.

StevieP

Banned
I'm... indifferent. I've seen absolutely nothing that makes me think they can make a Zelda game.

On the other hand, it seems that most people want the next Zelda to be unrecognizable as a Zelda game beyond characters and genre (EDIT: perhaps not even genre), so I guess it might save the IP.

Just GAF and some of the gaming "journalists" - the world at large knows what to expect from Zelda titles.

Yes, I noticed that while playing. SS is closest to MC in terms of design. Even the writing is similar.

Sharing the same principal director tends to have that effect lol

wrowa

Just GAF and some of the gaming "journalists" - the world at large knows what to expect from Zelda titles.
Is that so? Skyward's perfomance so far isn't very good at all. It's underperforming in Japan, it's not running all too well in Europe either and the US sales are the only one that could be considered good. However, even in the US the sales clearly could be better.

Zelda is a series that still has potential to grow, but Nintendo prevents that due to old-fashioned design decisions and instead it's apparently in decline now.

CrazyDude

Is that so? Skyward's perfomance so far isn't very good at all. It's underperforming in Japan, it's not running all too well in Europe either and the US sales are the only one that could be considered good. However, even in the US the sales clearly could be better.

Zelda is a series that still has potential to grow, but Nintendo prevents that due to old-fashioned design decisions and instead it's apparently in decline now.

Zelda has not sold well in Japan since OOT. Skyward Sword sold better in it's first month in the U.S than Twilight Princess. I am not sure about Europe.

Hylian7

We saw absolutely nothing that made us think they could make a 2D platformer, and then look what happened.

MisterHero

If Retro really wants to do a new 1st-person game, I'd love for them to make a new Geist

but they also deserve a project that will deliver lots of sales too

they need both!

Caelus

I agree that story needs to be cut down, just have the classic "you're a hero, explore, save the world from a fucking falling moon" and have more character interaction in place of repetitive gameplay.

That being said, the cinematic quality has certainly increased.

Top Bottom