• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Thinking about DLC (extra maps, missions) for Pikmin 3

imBask

Banned
okay it's released in Japan AND they're done with developement, I was unaware of this my bad. Never played pikmin, looking forward to trying it though

Flamfas

Will definitely buy. Who knows when they'll get around to making a Pikmin 4, so please, let's make 3 last as long as possible. : D

Darryl

Banned
Sounds like PR talk.

Since when does Nintendo have the benefit of doubt?

i think they're like the only company right now with the benefit of the doubt over this particular issue. they're very adamant and vocal about it. their games are always filled with more content than needed to convince customers to make a purchase - even their new ones.

Effect

I was hoping they'd think about doing this. The number of challenge missions seems very low compared to the what is offered in the local multipalyer.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Despite knee-jerk negativity over DLC in the gaming world, Nintendo has a decent track record so far in this area. As others have said, too much of their DLC has been created with fan feedback, ergo it isn't cut content intentionally held back.

For Pikmin 3 specifically, I wouldn't mind seeing large sets of mission mode stages, since the game does have online leaderboards. (And evidently pretty good use of them.) But the existence of Super Luigi U is seductive - it suggests they wouldn't be adverse to creating a whole new story mode for a game. Wouldn't Pikmin 3 be perfect for an Olimar and Louie campaign? The same maps could be used with some changes, new object locations, and swap in different pikmin types like purples and whites. Maybe bring back some Pikmin 1 and 2 bosses.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Well, shit. I was planning to sell the game a week after launch.

THEY GOT YA.

They were just saying a while back, actually, "the best way to combat used sales is by making games people will want to keep playing." Great DLC will certainly manage that.

Great game for DLC as some say it's a bit short.

I have had very good experience with Nintendo DLC so far.

NSMB 2 was cool DLC and New Super Luigi U DLC was excellent.

So long as it isn't £17.99 like the Luigi DLC.

I'd rather have an entire expansion pack like Luigi instead of a piecemeal map or two (which inevitably ends up being much worse value for money anyway).

Nintendo have an extremely firm policy against cutting content for DLC

Do you think they used every idea they came up with in the entire development of pikmin 3? Of course they didn't, some of it had to be cut. They do this all the time, Windwaker had dungeons cut that they later used in Twilight princess, mario galaxy had ideas cut that they turned into a whole sequel.

They could eaisly use these ideas in DLC. Obviously you've misunderstood what they mean by "cutting content". i.e., they won't finish something in time for release but hold it back to sell for more later, which is the context being used here.

I'd rather have the team work on a new game instead.

If they aren't concurrently developing DLC while building the game, then I don't want DLC at all.

Basically, I don't want DLC.

Hope it's free additional maps, since the game is short.
I finished story mode with all fruits found in 15hr.
Fantastic game, I really want more but have no interest in mission mode.

MrT-Tar

I was never a huge fan of dlc, but Nintendo (so far) are really doing it in a great way. Let's hope they continue on that track.

Himself

Yeah, seriously. $15-20 is fine for DLC done right. We used to call that an expansion pack back in the day.

I wouldn't mind a beefy expansion, a la NSLU or Wipeout HD Fury, at all.

It's the nickel and diming DLC that I can't be bothered with. Hence why NSLU and Wipeout Fury are the only DLC purchases I've ever made.

Considering how good the NSLU DLC was I will happily buy any Pikmin 3 DLC the moment it becomes available. I really hope this game sells well, Pikmin are awesome and need more attention and content.

dvolovets

Ah, Nintendo has finally embraced the "next generation" -- thinking about DLC before the game is even out in every territory. :)

Kidding aside, I'm actually looking forward to this if it'll be anything like what they did for NSMBU.

Darryl

Banned
The Fire Emblem Awakening DLC was mostly garbage before the the vacation and Future's Past DLC. Furthest thing from perfect.

the comment was in reference to cutting content to create DLC. obviously, they can still make some pretty shit DLC. i didn't like the NSMB:2 DLC, either, but it didn't come off as cut content. it came off like the afterthought it obviously was.

Kurtofan

The Fire Emblem Awakening DLC was mostly garbage before the the vacation and Future's Past DLC. Furthest thing from perfect.

Maybe perfect is too positive, but at the very worst it can be ignored.

It's not cut content or shady practices.

blamite

Bring back Pikmin 2's battle mode, pleeeeeeeeeease.

Bingo battle looks fine but it's just not the same as the original.

Hale-XF11

Good idea. I've been saying all along that if Nintendo wants their games to have legs that carry gamers through the system's life, they need to support the games they release with occasional updates, DLC, etc. Keep people playing your games on your system and you have a winner.

Pikmin 3 - Louie Edition. All three players are turned into Louie from the 2nd game, days are the same length but there is a hard set day limit akin to the first game. A large spike in challenge with an emphasis on trial and error to gather all of the items within the allotted time.

I'm amazed more reviewer's haven't talked about how the games story is set up perfectly for dlc.
After people finish the story, i think a lot of people will question nintendo's honesty about supposedly not planning dlc whilst the game is being made.
The story is so obviously set up for dlc which stars a certain pair of hocotations.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
After people finish the story, i think a lot of people will question nintendo's honesty about supposedly not planning dlc whilst the game is being made.

Well I think there's a difference between "hey we could make a whole bonus campaign add-on for this, let's put in some hooks" and actually holding back content that could've made it into the main game. If they don't actually start work on the new content until the game is done, and the game as-released feels like a solid and complete product, it's fair game.

Pikmin 3 - Louie Edition. All three players are turned into Louie from the 2nd game, days are the same length but there is a hard set day limit akin to the first game. A large spike in challenge with an emphasis on trial and error to gather all of the items within the allotted time.

This seems familiar for some reason, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Well I think there's a difference between "hey we could make a whole bonus campaign add-on for this, let's put in some hooks" and actually holding back content that could've made it into the main game. If they don't actually start work on the new content until the game is done, and the game as-released feels like a solid and complete product, it's fair game.

I've no doubt it's an amazing game, easily one of the best this year will see.
but when more people see the story to the end, it's so obvious that either end game content starring the hocotations got cut (no excuses after such a long wait)
or they were thinking about dlc at some point during production.
i'm hoping nintendo wouldn't cut end game content at a time when they need all their first party games games being as strong as possible.....
i'm just a little upset that after such a long wait we have a game which clearly still left out a lot of features....mainly the sad loss of the piklopedia....

Top Bottom