• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 10: The Show - Official Thread

Mrbob

lionelhutz said:
Whoa, let's not get carried away.

Why not? :D You buy systems for games you want to play. I bought my PS3 originally for MLB 08, and have branched out from there. Ton of great PS3 exclusive content now.

I played the game at Best Buy today, and to put it simply, it was as close to replicating a sport in video game form as you could dream.

The overall game is very close to 09, but everything seems tighter and more awesome. I only player 2 innings though, so this is not a "game is god" post, but it seems very good. The major thing for me in this years game is the real time presentation. It is just amazing to watch and really seem to liven up the game from its dull nature of past games. There are so many little idle animations. Players animate in a very natural way. The replays are great. The "Show Motion" replays are like those super slow mo Super Bowl replays. Hitting felt better. Could see pitches a little better. Hit variety was not a problem, even in my short time with the game. Pitching seemed unchanged. Still think it needs to be revamped. The umpire animations are top notch this year. Nice to see enthusiastic home plate strike out calls. Graphics look like 09 but with better lighting and more detail on everything. The TV needed to be calibrated, (sharpness must have been jacked) but in my opinion it's still the best looking sports game ever. The one negative I saw during my short time with the game was, the catchers still don't position their glove correctly sometimes to catch balls low in the zone, causing the ball to ghost through the back of their glove. It doesn't happen as much as it did in 09, but it does still happen.

HoTHiTTeR said:
Did it seem like it was any easier to get a hit this year. I felt like 09 was just so fucking stingy giving up base hits.

Yeah it did. It seemed a lot easier to see a pitch. Maybe they slightly tweaked the catcher batting camera, but it seemed easier to time my swing this year. I wasn't really late or early on any strait forward pitch. I did look silly 2 or 3 times swinging early at a some crazy nice off speed breaking pitches.

sportzhead said:
Yeah it did. It seemed a lot easier to see a pitch. Maybe they slightly tweaked the catcher batting camera, but it seemed easier to time my swing this year. I wasn't really late or early on any strait forward pitch. I did look silly 2 or 3 times swinging early at a some crazy nice off speed breaking pitches.
Sliders will fix that.

I'm not sure, it seemed closer at Best Buy. IDK maybe it was the better lighting that allowed me to pick up the ball better. Damn I wish Sony would've released a demo yesterday.

Zep

Banned
sportzhead said:
I'm not sure, it seemed closer at Best Buy. IDK maybe it was the better lighting that allowed me to pick up the ball better. Damn I wish Sony would've released a demo yesterday.

Demo build is from early December...Not sure you would want to go backwards.

Why the fuck isnt there a demo online? The launch of this game should be an event, not some little sideshow that sneaks in between the release of other Sony games.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
It shouldn't be easy to hit though.
Thank you, Christ I don't know why people think games should be 18-15. If you hit over .270ish against the other teams ace something is wrong. In 12 seasons opponents are hitting .255 against Halladay. Sabathia .246. So 1 in 4 is doing well, and when you play random pick up games you're always going to face the opponents ace, so expect to struggle at the plate.

Get the fucking Bigs if you want arcade baseball.

theignoramus said:
Why the fuck isnt there a demo online? The launch of this game should be an event, not some little sideshow that sneaks in between the release of other Sony games.

Probably because cutting a stable demo sinks valuable dev hours. Its year 4 on the platform (how did that happen?), franchise is a known quantity by now. Personally I'd rather the team get the most out of the strained cycle they have.

Yopis

theignoramus said:
Show 09 had some sort of catch-up cheat for the AI whenever it was getting spanked.
I hope this is fixed in '10.

No it didnt dude the pitcher confidence was just overdone.

Baseball is just that kind of game where you can lose the lead at any time without warning.
Each team has to get 27 outs there is no run out the clock so anything can happen. I used to feel the same way but after about 100 games I went on a 18 game winning streak and saw the whole spectrum.I had game after game hanging in the balance and was able to come out of it.

You just had to know when to change pitchers.That's my take on it anyway.

Yopis said:

Baseball is just that kind of game where you can lose the lead at any time without warning.
Each team has to get 27 outs there is no run out the clock so anything can happen. I used to feel the same way but after about 100 games I went on a 18 game winning streak and saw the whole spectrum.I had game after game hanging in the balance and was able to come out of it.

I know it's your opinion but trust me, there was a legit issue with the AI catching up the last 3 innings. Guys who have no business hitting homers looking like Bonds. Your ace pitcher who had made a team look like little leaguers + low pitch count allowing as many as 8-9 straight hits the second your team gets a lead. It was a big isue on the PS boards and a HUGE ISSUE on the OS boards. Word is the AI comeback got messed up in code, but no proof.

Also Sony did release the demo, it hasn't been oked. Not SECA's fault.

Yopis said:

It wasnt just that, I'd have great defensive first basemen fucking up simple grounders with a man on second or shortstops "conveniently" throwing wild with runners on first and third.
I know the game can hammer when you try to go for complete game shut out with an exhausted pitcher, but I'm not talking about that.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
I know it's your opinion but trust me, there was a legit issue with the AI catching up the last 3 innings. Guys who have no business hitting homers looking like Bonds. Your ace pitcher who had made a team look like little leaguers + low pitch count allowing as many as 8-9 straight hits the second your team gets a lead. It was a big isue on the PS boards and a HUGE ISSUE on the OS boards. Word is the AI comeback got messed up in code, but no proof.

Don't listen to him, he tries to use the same excuse for the Mets every year, as if God can't code decent AI.

Yopis

Yeah I hear you guys, I didnt really have to many fielding problems and I can only speak from my own experience.I still say it comes down to the pitcher though.The AI would be waiting on pitches you got away with the entire game.If you tried the same sequences in the late innings you would get hammered no matter who was at bat.I remember the debate over on OS but it was not one sided or conclusive as I remember.No worries as 09 is a distant memory for all of us now.Can't wait for tues to come.

Yopis

eznark said:
Don't listen to him, he tries to use the same excuse for the Mets every year, as if God can't code decent AI.

Lol

Hey big props for anybody that could sit through last year and still cheer for the mets that was a rough one.

Lkr

the problem I have with beisbol games(mainly The Show when compared to the old MVP Baseball series) is that I forget that 3 out of 10 is EXCELLENT. I get upset if I am only batting .400 at times lol. I need to quit playing basketball and football games where its easy to rack up big numbers

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Anyone see the MLB the show 10 commercial? Just saw it on tv. Not bad but I liked last year version better.

edit: lulz late

So people which fix is the most important to you?

1) Online netcode
2) Quicksteal glitch/broken nature of it.
3) Late inning comeback
4) other.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
yankeeforever2 said:
Didn't an umpire once tell Ted Williams that why should he take ball and strike advice from a guy who only a hit 4 out of 10 times.

Yeah. Then Ted gave the guy the stare of death and the ump exploded. Seriously, that dude was a mean guy. Umpires would apologize to him if they got a call wrong (say a 3rd strike call outside of the zone). He would flash them a look and they knew they messed up. :lol

eznark

Banned
Windu said:
just use the red sox, problem solved.
r26lqp.jpg

Top Bottom