• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 10: The Show - Official Thread

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

• The Demo is available for Download. (2965 MB)
Operation Sports - 8.5 said:
MLB 10: The Show is a baseball fan's dream come true. Not only does the game completely capture everything that makes America’s pastime so great, it also has polished up many of the issues that bogged down MLB 09 in my eyes.

http://www.operationsports.com/review.php?id=532
GameInformer - 9.5 said:
Sony has created the most realistic simulation in video games. If someone ran a feed of this game on one of the many screens in a sports bar, I wouldn’t be surprised if the patrons thought it was a live broadcast. The camerawork, statistical overlays, and attention to detail on the field make The Show as much fun to watch as it is to play. No baseball game has come close to delivering a complete package like this game does.

http://gameinformer.com/games/mlb_10_the_show/b/ps3/archive/2010/03/02/MLB-10-The-Show-review.aspx
IGN - 8.9 said:
MLB 10 edges very close to being the best console baseball game ever made. But it doesn't quite make it there. It's still great, just not baseball perfection.

http://ps3.ign.co/articles/107/1073732p1.html
Gamespot - 8.0 said:
MLB 10: The Show is still the undisputed champ in baseball games. On-field realism, spectacular broadcast presentation values, and attention to little details--right down to the scowl on Kevin Youkilis' face--make this a great achievement sure to warm the hearts of everyone who's had Opening Day circled on the calendar since January 1.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/mlb10/review.html

Welcome to The Show all-star. The best selling and highest rated baseball franchise is back in MLB 10: The Show throwing you into an unsurpassed baseball experience where big moments come alive. It’s all here too. In addition to a wealth of improvements to longtime franchise features this newest release includes the return of the Home Run Derby, MLB All-Star Futures Game, Movie Maker, Catcher Mode, Personalized cheers and yells and Joe Mauer, newly crowned American League MVP, as the new cover athlete. So get ready, The Show is about to begin and you are leading off.

The Return of Home Run Derby
The arcade style action of the Home Run Derby returns in MLB 10: The Show. Available through a variety play options, including season modes and a stand-alone mode that can be selected at any time, Home Run Derby is based on the MLB rules and flow of the actual MLB All-star game. In addition, the MLB All-star Futures Game is also available via season modes in its correct timeframe (just before the HR Derby). Will your Road to The Show player be invited to compete in the Home Run Derby or the Futures Game? Swing for the fences and keep your stats high and you may just get the call as the All-star break approaches.

Call the Game as Catcher
The catcher is the brains of any defensive squad on the field, and as such MLB 10: The Show lets you test both your baseball IQ and your skills in the crouch as you call the game, one pitch at a time, from behind the plate. Available during Road to The Show, and exhibition game play options, players cultivate their rookie Minor League catcher and bring him up to the Majors where he can lay down signs to your pitcher, offer additional pitch selections if his first pitch call is shaken off and even change signs at will, all via your controller's face buttons. Pitches are called from a unique first-person perspective, after which the camera angle changes to a standard third-person perspective affording a better view of the entire field. This new functionality defines a whole new level of strategy, demanding knowledge of pitches, opposing batters' tendencies and the state of your own pitcher's well-being, as well as the ability to check runners on base and handle and/or block balls that are in the dirt or wild.

New Defensive Training Options
No ballplayer becomes a golden glove overnight. With that in mind MLB 10: The Show includes new fielding and pitching training modes that augment the existing training functionality built into the game's improved Road to the Show mode. Fielding drills focus both on the basics of player's throwing arm, utilizing the new throw meter, as well as the more advanced combination of throwing and decision-making that players will need during game situations. Pitching training consists of a multi-pronged focus designed to improved control and accuracy. Training in these areas is available in isolated one-on-one battles known as "Knockout," as well as simulated game situations, where goals are clearly defined for each drill.

Key Game Features

A Wealth of New Features Including:
  • MLB All-star Week consisting of the Home Run Derby and MLB All-star Futures Game.
  • Full online season leagues with better multiplayer functionality.
  • Catcher game calling functionality in certain modes.
  • Movie Maker functionality to create personal highlight reels
  • 11 new Stadiums
  • New fielding and pitching training modes
  • Custom music, fan yells, and chants.
  • Improved Stadium Realism and Experience - From crowd ambiance to enhanced presentation system, even transitional daylight.
  • Road to the Show v4.0 – Play the way that you want to with multiple new options settings, a rewards/penalty system based on play and a new, more accessible stat tracking system.
  • Improved Online Gameplay – This year the online gameplay experience has been vastly improved and will detect and respond better to adverse network conditions along with reduced bandwidth to help the speed and flow of online gameplay.
  • Full Online Season Leagues – Fully functional online season leagues, save and display MLB Player stats, track player energy, allow for trades/injuries, and offer 40-man roster functionality.
  • Real-time Presentations – More than 1,250 new gameplay animations, more than 1,000 new presentation animations, and more than 400 personalized pitcher and batter animations.
  • New Stadiums Available – The PlayStation 3 version of MLB 10: The Show includes five new Minor League stadiums, as well as classic parks including Forbes Field, Crosley Field, Polo Grounds, Shibe Park, Sportsman Park, and Griffith Stadium.
  • Additional Features – Additional features include: multiplayer support, in-game messaging, voice chat, custom soundtracks, add-on content and HD support up to 1080p.
  • MLB 10 The Show Blogs:
Find any Bugs or Glitches? Post them over at Operation Sports, the Devs monitor it. (use the template in the OP) http://www.operationsports.com/forums/scea-sports-mlb/398802-official-bugs-glitches-thread.html

PS: Phillies/Mets suck and Heyward is your new God etc..

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-ordered, paid in full. Can't wait. The main post needs more pictures of the sexy, sexy coverboy.

Can't wait to buy the game and run roughshod over the non-cheating competition.

Seriously, as long as the quicksteal crap is fixed no complaints. I can handle graphic taking a step backwards in order to fix netcode and reduce lag. Sliders fix the Usain Bolt fielder speed thing.

EDIT: fuck you Windu. Now that Jeff is working with two legit great hitting 3rd basemen Francoeur > Heyward.

bluemax

Banned
Still no demo?

I shipped ME2 back to Gamefly for this. Can't wait to singles my way to victory with Ichiro and Chone!

Can't wait to actually play a franchise with the twins, I couldn't bare to play in the dome for a whole season. My girlfriends parents have twins season tickets and would refuse to go when they would offer. Can't wait untill next week!

Brinbe

Almost here... Can't fucking wait. The only way I'll be able to experience some winning Jays ball this year. =(

:lol

h3ro

2dlrmza.jpg

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
MikeE21286 said:
any pre-order bonuses or deals on this? I want to get but would like to get the best deal on it
nope, none...
The Frankman said:
EDIT: fuck you Windu. Now that Jeff is working with two legit great hitting 3rd basemen Francoeur > Heyward.
Heyward = New Hotness
The Natural = Old and Busted.

MikeE21286 said:
any pre-order bonuses or deals on this? I want to get but would like to get the best deal on it

pre order bonus at gamespot or amazon and you get classic stadiums up front, instead of purchasing them on the psn or getting all the trophies to access the 6 classic stadiums

gluv65 said:
pre order bonus at gamespot or amazon and you get classic stadiums up front, instead of purchasing them on the psn or getting all the trophies to access the 6 classic stadiums

nice, Amazon it is then. Thanks

I'd think the online thread should be up a week after the game officially comes out, not street-dated. That way it gives people a week to have it + start the construction of GAF league or leagues. Also rules/sliders would have to be researched/tweak for maximum efficiency and all that, plus team issues in the online have to be ironed out.

FHIZ said:
here is to hoping there is a demo tomorrow

I don't think a demo will be out until next week. The SCEA Comm manager stated they spent a lot of time ironing out bugs after the Comm Day report. They do have an old build demo which pre dates CES, but they don't want to release that demo. The more recent demo was submitted according to the lead game play designer.

Torgo

Our new ep, 154, just went up. It includes a 45-minute interview with 4 members of the MLB 10 team. You can find the show posted here n Gaf. I'd link, but I'm not trying to "advertise," just an FYI.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Was going to buy Heavy Rain and GOW, but I've switched to this over Heavy Rain. Any power rankings anywhere?

Doytch

msdstc said:
Was going to buy Heavy Rain and GOW, but I've switched to this over Heavy Rain. Any power rankings anywhere?
Yeah, they're on OS and reposted a few pages back in the MLB thread in OT.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Windu said:
SF really needs to get a better mascot that represents the city. Like a homeless man for example.

the have met you half way

The guy in the suit is homeless... they pay him in 40s

Lkr

Windu said:
SF really needs to get a better mascot that represents the city. Like a homeless man for example.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Paid off $20 of it. Can't wait, first version I'm buying on PS3. Hoping for a demo to ease the wait, but doesn't seem likely

Afrikan

Windu said:

we had one for football...

Sourdough Sam
09000d5d802e40bb_gallery_600.jpg

but the stupid 9ers changed him to this
180px-Sourdough_Sam_Aliamanu_Military_Reservation_February_4,_2009.jpg

oh by the way there is NOTHING wrong with Lou Seal.

3594636357_f48d30650f.jpg

anddo0

Got my copy paid in full. I wish they would improve the commentary (the other game has them beat there). But everything else is ace!

Hobbun

Really pumped for this. My first baseball game in about 5-6 years (yes, haven’t played any prior “The Show” baseball games).

In regards to the commentary, I think what would be really neat is if they had the actual commentators for each team when you visited their stadium (or you could choose to stay with your own team’s commentators).

But I know that is pretty unrealistic with how many contracts they would have to sign with the all those announcers, never mind the extra large amount of money that would cost with all those contracts.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Kinda want...I loved 08 and with the lack of basketball games, I need something.

theignoramus said:
Been waiting for this. i'm curious how the in-game commentary will talk about the performance of players from last season.

Yes the commentary has new info. but the delivery is the same. New this year is progressive commentary, they will have a ticker box running parallel to the in game boxscore, within the ticker you will get season/franchise scores from around the league, injury report, past at bats ect.. If you watch the latest game trailers video you will see the ticker dialogue box show weather and then showing the names of the 1st and 3rd base coaches.

lionelhutz

BigNastyCurve said:
Full online season leagues with better multiplayer functionality.

I have it ordered from Amazon but I'll believe this shit when I see it :(

Does this mean no online lag?

Top Bottom