• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2010-2011 Offseason Thread of Yawn the NL Wins Again, What Else is New?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
So much money offered for a pitcher thats gone 26-22 over last 2 years and lost 2 world series games... :lol

After being burned by Zito...GL with this

Sharp

Corran Horn said:
So much money offered for a pitcher thats gone 26-22 over last 2 years and lost 2 world series games... :lol

After being burned by Zito...GL with this
Let's see....

Using wins as a measure of pitching ability... check.
Citing two losses and ignoring the other seven wins... check (because we should expect good pitchers to go 9-0 in WS games I guess).
Thinking Zito was ever on the same level as Lee... check.

The Lee deal will be absurd, but it will still be a far better deal than Zito's.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Shrug. Have fun. Everyone makes him out to be this magical pitcher who never loses. No player should be making fucking 7 years for that much. Dude is going to get wrecked and all year Im going to hear whines about his contract :lol

Corran Horn said:
Shrug. Have fun. Everyone makes him out to be this magical pitcher who never loses. No player should be making fucking 7 years for that much. Dude is going to get wrecked and all year Im going to hear whines about his contract :lol
I agree. 7 years is too long for a pitcher. It's too risky.

According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Mets will hire Dave Hudgens to be their next hitting coach.

In addition, Mookie Wilson will be named the first base coach, Jon Debus will become the bullpen coach, and Ken Oberkfell will be Terry Collins’s bench coach.
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-KIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yes, the Lee contract is disgusting. But I can't believe they don't just amp it up right now. Not like there are gradients of disgusting anymore.

Dragon

Banned
Sharp said:
Let's see....

Using wins as a measure of pitching ability... check.
Citing two losses and ignoring the other seven wins... check (because we should expect good pitchers to go 9-0 in WS games I guess).
Thinking Zito was ever on the same level as Lee... check.

The Lee deal will be absurd, but it will still be a far better deal than Zito's.

Except Lee is 32 and Zito was 28. Obviously there's a huge difference in talent, but at the same time it's fucking ridiculous to sign a guy who's 32 to that long of a contract.

mYm|17| said:
CC doesn't like batting leadoff, I know strange huh. I doubt he bats leadoff with the Red Sox as well

His career averages aren't very good batting leadoff either for whatever reason.

I'm thinking they go Ellsbury, Pedroia, Crawford and then Gonzalez. Gonzalez isn't bad against lefties and it'd make sense. I wish they'd put Ellsbury ninth since he's one of the worst hitters on the team.

CrayzeeCarl said:
I agree. 7 years is too long for a pitcher. It's too risky.

I was looking for an older article on this I remembered but they did a new one.

Why Cliff Lee buyers ought to beware
3RuBV.jpg

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It's amazing how much baseball contracts have gone up over the years. The Maddux deal was 5/28 which would only be $42,379,986 today.

Doytch

Windu said:
It's amazing how much baseball contracts have gone up over the years. The Maddux deal was 5/28 which would be only $42,379,986 today.
A more industrious person than I would go look up the mean/median team worth through the years, and compare the PV to these contracts. See if it's going up in relation to team worth.

Windu said:
It's amazing how much baseball contracts have gone up over the years. The Maddux deal was 5/28 which would only be $42,379,986 today.

It's really stupid how unfair baseball has become. Especially as a fan of the third smallest market in baseball.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Windu said:
Bonds in 93 had a 6 year deal at $43.75 million ($66.5 million in today's dollars) which was record setting back then. Can't imagine what he would've gotten in today's market.

Latest from Heyman: "Angels are offensively-minded this winter, so they do not appear to be the mystery third team in on Lee."

Even then, the Maddux deal was peanuts compared to the Bonds contract a few days later. Bonds nearly doubled what Maddux made. 6 years/$44 million.

Zep

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
Bonds in 93 had a 6 year deal at $43.75 million ($66.5 million in today's dollars) which was record setting back then. Can't imagine what he would've gotten in today's market.

Pujols FA money.

xbhaskarx

Jose Canseco is what makes Twitter so great:

Jose Canseco
I will show everyone that steroids are completely overrated once I get the chance to play aqgain.all I need is the chance

Jose Canseco
If a team would give me the chance I would not let them down.baseball is my life,I miss the game its part of me,its my addiction

Jose Canseco
I dream about playing almost every night.when I wake up and realize I am not anymore that's when the nightmare begins

JoseCanseco
I am and will always be just simply a basball player,my tomb stone will just say. Baseball.

Jose Canseco would be awesome as a guy that exists on the periphery of the sports he played and made things ABOUT the sport, but never played it again.

Sort of like Dennis Rodman, except more literate and not getting laid or being on TV endlessly.

I'd love to see a baseball movie or TV drama he writes with someone. You know that shit would have *everything* in it.

:(

wtf

almost don't want cliff Lee anymore.

If he does sign some 7/160+ deal then I hope he can have 3 years of gaudy CY Young/sabermetrics shit #'s, 2 years of solid 19W-6L, 3.4-4 ERA then his last 2 years be kinda average 16-10 4-4.5 ERA.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
vas_a_morir said:
Oooohhhh! Mystery Team! Lolz, totally going to be the Yanks.

I bet the Mystery Team is the Cubs. Vastradamas has spoken.
I really liked what Craig C said about getting an authentic jersey altered to say "Mystery" where the team name should be. I'd be all over that.

h3ro

AnEternalEnigma said:
Heyman says mystery team's offer only has 5 guaranteed years, so that pretty much knocks them out.

I bet Heyman also knows if mystery team is working on Secret PS3 game.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5915468&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

MLB's average salary over $3M

The Associated Press
NEW YORK -- The average salary in Major League Baseball has surpassed $3 million for the first time.

The 912 players in the major leagues before rosters expanded in September averaged $3,014,572, the Major League Baseball Players Association said Monday. The average rose 0.6 percent from last year's $2,996,106, the smallest increase since a 2.5 percent drop in 2004.

The New York Yankees had the highest average at $7,604,937, down slightly from a $7,663,351 average when they won the World Series in 2009. Pittsburgh was last for the second straight season at $1,140,598.

Code:
Average MLB Salaries
Year	Minimum		Average
2010	$400,000	$3,014,572
2000	$200,000	$1,895,630
1990	$100,000	$597,537
1980	$30,000		$143,756
1970	$12,000		$29,303

Now that's progress.

This Sandy Alderson vs. Mike Francesa interview is amazing. Fatcesa is almost trying to bait Alderson into telling Mets fans they will suck for 2 years. Alderson is saying they won't. Alderson said he thinks there's reason for some optimism and that obviously Mike doesn't think so and laughed sarcastically.

I need to re-listen to this later, he's going to have callers talk to Alderson soon. :lol

The Frankman said:
This Sandy Alderson vs. Mike Francesa interview is amazing. Fatcesa is almost trying to bait Alderson into telling Mets fans they will suck for 2 years. Alderson is saying they won't. Alderson said he thinks there's reason for some optimism and that obviously Mike doesn't think so and laughed sarcastically.

I need to re-listen to this later, he's going to have callers talk to Alderson soon. :lol

Two years is way too long for them to get respectable again.

I was hoping the Mets would get to 2006/2007 level where they can contend and play decent enough baseball to disappoint spectacularly. That is when the Mets - and MLB-GAF - is most fun. :lol

captmcblack said:
Two years is way too long for them to get respectable again.

I was hoping the Mets would get to 2006/2007 level where they can contend and play decent enough baseball to disappoint spectacularly. That is when the Mets - and MLB-GAF - is most fun. :lol
No way it takes two years. There's way too much money being shed after 2011 for them not to be decent in 2012. And there really is reason to be optimistic for this season, it just depends on everyone being healthy...so on second thought I guess not.

LJ11

Fatty's awful, it's more about answering questions that fit his agenda than anything else. Love the non-committal answers by Alderson, must be driving fatty nuts.

Gee getting a shot at the 5th spot, he's going to give up a lot of HRs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom