• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No balk call which is debatable, but fits in with the narrative. And some shady strike calls at important moments. You don't have to be a Jays fan to feel weird about how the game went down.

But honestly, even with all that, they had RISP with no outs and didn't do shit. Couldn't they have at least tried to bunt instead of swinging hard at everything? They had so much space to try different things to get even one runner in...

They showed the "balk" and it wasn't even close. That's one Toronto needs to let go. If you're going to focus on a screw job, point out the Moose homerun or the two Davis pitches that weren't close to strikes but got called. Those are legitimate complaints and heavily favored the Royals when they should have gone the other way. The balk was absolutely nothing.

And you're correct, the truth is any sort of contact on the ball brings the runner on third home to tie it up. Any sort of hit scores two there and almost certainly wins the game for Toronto. It's unimaginable to not drive in at least the speed demon on third there.

Not to take away from what cyborg Davis did there, because that's one of the most clutch performances I've ever seen. His stats these past two seasons are the best ever for a reliever. I'm talking all time. He's pitching at Mariano Rivera levels right now, though admittedly over a smaller sample size. Rivera did it over a decade, so he's still the king.

I have stood in those SRO spots. You absolutely can not reach that far into the field. You just can't. The overhead shot was conclusive and showed he caught it above the wall.

Not surprised the bottle throwing, baby hitting fans of Toronto are harassing good citizens of KC. It all starts with their attitudes on the field with whiners like Bautista ( Home run stare down balls that don't leave the yard... shit he better run), Donaldson (cries every time a pitcher dare throws inside and he's still pissed about Oakland meltdown last year), and Tulo (get ejected over a pitch down the middle brah).

Way to antagonize.

Aside from that, I'm proud of my Jays, they proved the doubters wrong and gave the entire country two weeks they will never to forget. It also gave us Jays fans a glimmer of hope, and hope for the immediate future.

On David Price, I'm hesitant to give him big AAV because nobody in baseball has thrown more pitches or innings (though Pitches are the big thing) than him over the last 3 years. I doubt his arm holds up much longer.

We're looking at a guy going full Verlander.

zroid

Banned
I like both the Royals and Mets so it's still up in the air for whom I will pledge my allegiance in the World Series.

I do accept bribes.

devilhawk

Way to antagonize.

Aside from that, I'm proud of my Jays, they proved the doubters wrong and gave the entire country two weeks they will never to forget. It also gave us Jays fans a glimmer of hope, and hope for the immediate future.

There are good Blue Jays fans out there. Mostly here on GAF it would seem. Definitely not in the Roger's center upper deck.

I have stood in those SRO spots. You absolutely can not reach that far into the field. You just can't. The overhead shot was conclusive and showed he caught it above the wall.

Not surprised the bottle throwing, baby hitting fans of Toronto are harassing good citizens of KC. It all starts with their attitudes on the field with whiners like Bautista ( Home run stare down balls that don't leave the yard... shit he better run), Donaldson (cries every time a pitcher dare throws inside and he's still pissed about Oakland meltdown last year), and Tulo (get ejected over a pitch down the middle brah).

You aren't helping, bro. Be gracious in victory as you expect them to be gracious in defeat. Losing hurts, which if you are a KC fan you know all too well.

Bautista and Tulo did nothing wrong and played with a lot of emotion. They're likable guys who play with passion. You can't point a finger at Tulo then ignore Ventura staring him down last night after the strikeout. Donaldson strikes me as a giant douche, but he did absolutely nothing controversial this series.

You aren't helping, bro. Be gracious in victory as you expect them to be gracious in defeat. Losing hurts, which if you are a KC fan you know all too well.

Bautista and Tulo did nothing wrong and played with a lot of emotion. They're likable guys who play with passion. You can't point a finger at Tulo then ignore Ventura staying him down last night after the strikeout. Donaldson strikes me as a giant douche, but he did absolutely nothing controversial this series.

Thank you. Although it seems devilhawk has a habit of badmouthing other teams even in victory, as I'm pretty sure I've seen similar comments here on MLB-GAF as well.

It should be interesting because guess who plays each other on Opening Day? KC and the Mets, at Kauffman. So we should get a quick turnaround for the start of the season.

Good run Blue Jays.

Did Fox really run a Royals v Mets graphics at some point last night before the game ended?

Pirates and Marlins swap minor league pitchers.

Maybe Benedict wanted to take his prospect with him? I think the bigger story is that the Marlins hired Jim Benedict from the Pirates. If there is anyone who can turn Tyler Kolek into a stud pitcher, it's that guy.

As for Trevor Williams, I saw him play in AA last year and to be honest, I wasn't too impressed. He was ranked top 5 in our farm system, but you have to realize that the Marlins called all of their best prospects up last season, and that our farm system is bottom five in the league. His slider and sinker are his best two pitches. His fastball sits around the low 90's usual around 90-94. I think he is pretty close to being league ready, but I don't think he will be anything more than a relief pitcher, or a 5th starter.

Edit: But then again our farm system sucks at developing young pitchers, so maybe he will have a lot of success in Pittsburgh.

whitehawk

Banned
They did. That, plus Buck's 0-7 comment, plus the reviewed Moose homerun should provide conspiracy theorists a ton of material going forward.

I still don't think the Moose shot was a legit homerun, but they reviewed it in NYC and didn't see enough to overturn it. It's one of those situations where whatever gets called on the field will likely stand.

Both teams played great last night. The two different makers were Lo Cain going first to home on a single, and the Blue Jays going 0-12 with runners in scoring position.

I'm glad we avoided a game seven Johnny Cueto outing...
This is the problem. In that kind of a play, there is no 'call' on the field. The umps are so far away that it looks like a home run obviously until Bautista asked for the replay. For this kind of review, they should have been deciding the call on neutral ground, not 'overturning' the field call.

I'll probably go with the Royals. ;)

Falling short in two consecutive WS would be rough. Plus I think the Mets are poised to contend for a long time with that rotation.

It would hurt. The Royals are all in this year, and the window starts to close in 2017. . The Mets have the staff to last longer.

This is the problem. In that kind of a play, there is no 'call' on the field. The umps are so far away that it looks like a home run obviously until Bautista asked for the replay. For this kind of review, they should have been deciding the call on neutral ground, not 'overturning' the field call.

It never works that way. Baseball doesn't have non-plays...no sport does. It was ruled a homerun and requires definitive proof to overrule that call. The officials didn't show a delay in their initial call.

I'm not sure exactly what NYC saw, but it looked different to me. This is a KC team that has received two official apologies from MLB this season for bad calls that cost them games, so I get the frustration. This was obviously on a much larger stage.

devilhawk

Bautista and Tulo did nothing wrong and played with a lot of emotion. They're likable guys who play with passion. You can't point a finger at Tulo then ignore Ventura staring him down last night after the strikeout. Donaldson strikes me as a giant douche, but he did absolutely nothing controversial this series.
There's a difference between 23 year olds and 30 year olds. Ventura doesn't have to be likable to other teams. I never said Ventura's antics were warranted. There is nothing likable about Bautista and Donaldson, that's for sure.

The fact is the Toronto fans have showed their true colors. That trash throwing tantrum was disgraceful and would never happen in many other cities. Now they need to wear it and own it. Don't see why that episode should just be forgotten.

Malo

Banned
On David Price, I'm hesitant to give him big AAV because nobody in baseball has thrown more pitches or innings (though Pitches are the big thing) than him over the last 3 years. I doubt his arm holds up much longer.

We're looking at a guy going full Verlander.
Or CC, but I don't regret it. We got 4 elite years and he lead us to a world series victory.

There's a difference between 23 year olds and 30 year olds. Ventura doesn't have to be likable to other teams. There is nothing likable about Bautista and Donaldson, that's for sure.

The fact is the Toronto fans have showed their true colors. That trash throwing tantrum was disgraceful and would never happen in many other cities. Now they need to wear it and own it. Don't see why that episode should just be forgotten.

Nope, would never happen in other cities, nuh-uh. (Different things being thrown, but the same idea)

Seriously, stop it. You guys won. And also, lol, your going to forget that the vast majority of fans were supportive of the team, and showed it loud and proud, and didn't throw trash in Game 5?

This seems more like you have an axe to grind against Toronto ever since the Volquez incident in August, and you found the perfect time to do it.

devilhawk

Nope, would never happen in other cities, nuh-uh. (Different things being thrown, but the same idea)

Seriously, stop it. You guys won. And also, lol, your going to forget that the vast majority of fans were supportive of the team, and showed it loud and proud, and didn't throw trash in Game 5?

This seems more like you have an axe to grind against Toronto ever since the Volquez incident in August, and you found the perfect time to do it.
Being compared to Atalanta and Philly isn't something to be proud of. Congratulations on being like Philly fans!

Yeah, the Brewers did CC dirty with how much stress they put on his arm. I think Price his a couple elite years left, but the backend of his deal is gonna look real bad, real fast.

He needs to go to the bullpen or learn a less demanding go to pitch.

Staying in as a regular season starter is going to stress his arm to the point where he can't go 5 innings down the road.

AWWW YEAH

yeah I'll cheer for the Mets now!

I was going to cheer for the Mets anyway

amiibo and pizza, that's tough to resist

Mets pizza and beer party, featuring Mr Met.

That sounds like my childhood.

Being compared to Atalanta and Philly isn't something to be proud of. Congratulations on being like Philly fans!

Once more, an isolated incident in the case of Toronto. And I was using it to illustrate the point that fans in all cities can act like assholes.

I'm done arguing with you. It seems you are so bull-headed in your ways, you don't act like a gracious winner. I guess that allows me to act like an asshole to the Royals fans here on GAF and on Facebook, who have all been supportive, eh, if we go by your reasoning?

Malo

Banned
Jeff Passan @JeffPassan: Royals vs. 95-mph+ pitches, MLB ranks in parentheses:

BA: .284 (1st)
SLG: .432 (2nd)
K%: 15.1% (1st)

Mets throw the most 95-mph+ pitches.

Daren Willman @darenw: #Royals threw the 2nd most pitches 95 MPH+.

#Mets ranks:
28th in BA (.219)
13th in Slg% (.374)
10th in K% (25%)

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan: Royals vs. 95-mph+ pitches, MLB ranks in parentheses:

BA: .284 (1st)
SLG: .432 (2nd)
K%: 15.1% (1st)

Mets throw the most 95-mph+ pitches.

Daren Willman @darenw: #Royals threw the 2nd most pitches 95 MPH+.

#Mets ranks:
28th in BA (.219)
13th in Slg% (.374)
10th in K% (25%)

Murph da Gawds numbahs sinca da postseason, 1.000 all over!

Would be rooting for the Royals, but Johnny Cueto is on that team so I'm gonna have to default to the Mets here

David Wright needs a ring, too. Think he might be the only one left from 06 when the Cards crushed their dreams

jman2050

I like the Royals hitting even against the Mets pitching but on the other hand Cueto is seemingly broken and Chris Young is Chris Young.

I have no idea how to call this series.

zroid

Banned
In hindsight one of the things that most impressed me about the Jays run in the postseason is that none of their players were what you could call "hot". Typically the hottest teams are the ones which go far in the postseason, and they might be carried by a couple players who are just on fire.

Tulo is maybe the only one who was hitting better than he did in the regular season, but even he didn't exactly light it up. Bautista had some huge hits but he wasn't dominant. Most of the team was slumping, including their ace pitcher (in a sense), and they still found a way to grind through 5 games in the ALDS and 6 in the ALCS. Not to mention the team in general was a disaster with RISP throughout the playoffs.

That's hard to do.

Don't worry Blue Jays fans

There's another Price.

carey_price_KcMssWI.jpg

I like the Royals hitting even against the Mets pitching but on the other hand Cueto is seemingly broken and Chris Young is Chris Young.

I have no idea how to call this series.

Chris Young is our second best option, lol. Dude has been a rock in the lineup, second most consistent behind Volquez. It doesn't have to make sense because Yost is gonna Yost.

Also, those fastball numbers support what I said earlier about the Mets, and specifically DeGrom. We hit fastballs, and fastball pitchers are our favorite. Think of the speedy aces the Royals crushed in the regular season. It's crafty dudes with crazy offspeed stuff that confuses the team to pieces.

If our bats and defense stay consistent, I like the chances. The Mets are a good team but Murphy isn't going to hit homeruns every game this series
...right guys? Gulp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom