• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that whole fight in Toronto or whatever makes more sense now.

Hopefully he can get help.

Crazy news though, he would have probably started in the ALDS.

jbug617

Banned
Here is the statement by CC
http://t.co/YBYDRcpNvW
“Today I am checking myself into an alcohol rehabilitation center to receive the professional care and assistance needed to treat my disease.

“I love baseball and I love my teammates like brothers, and I am also fully aware that I am leaving at a time when we should all be coming together for one last push toward the World Series. It hurts me deeply to do this now, but I owe it to myself and to my family to get myself right. I want to take control of my disease, and I want to be a better man, father and player.

“I want to thank the New York Yankees organization for their encouragement and understanding. Their support gives me great strength and has allowed me to move forward with this decision with a clear mind.

“As difficult as this decision is to share publicly, I don’t want to run and hide. But for now please respect my family’s need for privacy as we work through this challenge together.

“Being an adult means being accountable. Being a baseball player means that others look up to you. I want my kids — and others who may have become fans of mine over the years — to know that I am not too big of a man to ask for help. I want to hold my head up high, have a full heart and be the type of person again that I can be proud of. And that’s exactly what I am going to do.

“I am looking forward to being out on the field with my team next season playing the game that brings me so much happiness.”

squall211

Feel bad for CC. He must be in pretty rough shape if he's willing to miss possibly his last shot at the playoffs ever to enter rehab immediately.

3N16MA

Banned
CC was actually pitching decent for a few starts. Must be in bad shape to check in as the postseason starts.

ShaneB

Hope he gets better.

I know how hard it is to ask for help, and to hear him say "to know that I am not too big of a man to ask for help." gets me emotion myself.

Malo

Banned
It must be really bad for him to skip the playoffs. Hope the big man gets better.

Man, we are going to be so fucked if we advance to the ALDS. Nova is probably going to start *PUKES*

Honestly as weird as it is, he probably went WAY overboard when the Yankees clinched.

The Yankees making the playoffs may have saved his life.

Toth

What the fuck?

I think he is saying that he may have realized he partied too hard after the Yankees clinched (don't know if he did but it's possible) and finally acknowledged the growing problem before it was too late.

As I posted in the OT thread, this means that the Yankees postseason rotation (if they get to the ALCS, which is a huge fucking if) is now Tanaka, Pineda, Severino, and Adam Warren. More likely Joe would just pitch everyone on 3 days rest however, like he did in '09.

That said, they aren't beating Houston tomorrow, and even if they somehow do, they aren't beating Kansas City, so it's a moot point.

CC probably waited til the end of the season so he could collect his paychecks.

Real shit thing to say. If he hung on a couple more weeks he could have collected playoff shares too.

Instead, something happened, and dude thought he needed to get straight. Then and there.

You should feel ashamed for that post.

3N16MA

Banned
As I posted in the OT thread, this means that the Yankees postseason rotation (if they get to the ALCS, which is a huge fucking if) is now Tanaka, Pineda, Severino, and Adam Warren. More likely Joe would just pitch everyone on 3 days rest however, like he did in '09.

That said, they aren't beating Houston tomorrow, and even if they somehow do, they aren't beating Kansas City, so it's a moot point.

They're beating everyone.

Glad to see CC is getting the help he needs instead of pitching through the postseason. Life before baseball. Hope he comes out free from his demons.

Go Mets.
Go Pirates.
Go Astros.
Go Rangers.
Go Cards.
Go Royals.
Go Jays.
Go Cubs. (tho after all the plunking this season, it's hard to root for these guys)
And if it's a Yankess/Dodgers WS then go Yankees.
LKXD2iD.jpg

:)

WTF CC :(

Also, let's go Yankees. We'll beat the Astros in the Wild Card game, and then the quest to celebrate the 15-year anniversary of the 2000 World Series can begin in earnest!

Malo

Banned
what? what happened?
This is what he posted in the gaf fantasy baseball league:

Perm'd for pointing out that slaves and workers in the same sentence pretty much still means "slaves" and people are willing to be upset about anything these days - man, if i knew that was perm-worthy I would have asked for a do-over!

Alright, I wanna clear up a couple things.

A) Not lazy, plugging at the OP I just don't want it to be a listing of game times and a bracket, I wanted to do something unique with it. I had one that was just times and some bracketing but that's not as fun.

B) I'm sick as shit and it's taking me a bit but I'll get it done.

C) And this is the important bit, I need EVERY Yankee and Astros fan, and EVERY Pirates and Cubs fan, to post their thoughts on how the game will play out, not just a score projection, but give me reasoning behind how players could be impactful, who could contribute, who's the darkhorse to make a play. This can be just for your team, or it could cover both, ultimately it doesn't matter.

But please, type those up and I'll add them to the OP under your game/series.

I wanna make this comprehensive and all-inclusive. I'm working on the second WC game now but I posted a quick update to the OP but I'll have it done and super pretty within an hour or two.

JoseDFrog

Banned
Poor CC, I hope he gets the support he needs to take control of his life. Timing sucks too, that knee brace was in the running for team MVP.

Caja 117

CC was actually pitching decent for a few starts. Must be in bad shape to check in as the postseason starts.

In all honestly I would had preferred for him to pitch in tomorrow game than Tanaka.

regardless, hoping for CC to fight and win trough this.

Parch

Honestly as weird as it is, he probably went WAY overboard when the Yankees clinched.
The Yankees making the playoffs may have saved his life.
That's an interesting point. Having an excuse to go on a serious bender and then dealing with the aftermath just might have been the wake up call that he really needs to get help.

Beckx

C) And this is the important bit, I need EVERY Yankee and Astros fan, and EVERY Pirates and Cubs fan, to post their thoughts on how the game will play out, not just a score projection, but give me reasoning behind how players could be impactful, who could contribute, who's the darkhorse to make a play. This can be just for your team, or it could cover both, ultimately it doesn't matter.

From the Pirates' perspective:

• It's an uphill battle. Arrieta - aside from being good - matches very well against the Bucs lineup. TBH: the Pirates are hoping to keep the Cubs scoreless and capitalize on a mistake.
  • The Bucs have been shakey lately in the 1st & 2nd inning, Cole in particular tends to have a rough first inning. But when he settles in he tends to roll, especially with a lead (which I don't see happening early), right up until the 7th (statistically his worst inning for giving up runs). On the flip side, Pirates are the best in MLB this year at shutting down the 8th and 9th. (Watson/Melancon).
  • Pirates have scored 3 or more runs in 25 of Cole's 32 starts. In the 7 they scored 2 or less, Cole was 1-6. Highest number of runs given up by Arrieta in 3 games vs Pirates: 2. :/
  • Offense is pretty straightforward. The right handed batters are going to struggle all night. Cutch has been cold for the last month, anyway. I am focusing on what Pedro Alvarez can do while Arrieta is out there. Though he hasn't done well against Arrieta this year (no hits, only 5 ABs) he is hitting well this month (479 foot out of the park homer yesterday to boot). Still, none of the Pirates have hit well in the 3 games the Cubs won with Arrieta on the mound. If anyone's going to do it, it's either Cutch breaking his slump or Alvarez doing something. (Dark horse potential hero: Cervelli.)
  • Defensively, Polanco and Marte are stellar in the outfield and both have cannon arms (top one and two in putouts, iirc). Josh Harrison can play all over the infield. Alvarez's glove is a liability. Cervelli is a hero behind the plate.
  • 98 wins but no one thinks we have a prayer to win. Oh well. I guess the above stuff kinda has something to do with that, hah.

Cubs keys to a win in the WC:

1. Run up the pitch count on Cole

Cubs are one of the best teams in the league at pitches per plate appearance. Make Cole throw as many pitches as possible.

2. Smart first pitches by Arrieta

Pirates will probably try and jump on Jake by trying to swing at his first pitches. Arrieta needs to keep them off-balance in this regard.

3. Ride Castro's bat

Starlin has been great lately and has very good numbers against Cole with a .353 average. He needs to be put in a lineup spot where he can drive in runs, preferably 5th behind Bryant and Rizzo.

4. Unsung heroes of the Bullpen

Four guys who were pretty bad at parts this season have come on strong as the Cubs have made this playoff push. They may get their chance to contribute in the game as they are all veterans who Maddon seems to trust.

#1 Travis Wood: 0.64 era in September and a 2.95 era with over 11K/9 overall as a reliever this season

#2 Clayton Richard: had a few rough appearances lately, but he has great velocity out of the pen

#3- Fernando Rodney: Has a 0.75 era in 14 appearances since the trade, looks comfortable with Maddon again

#4 Trevor Cahill- 2.12 era with nearly a 12K/9 in his 11 appearances. Seems to get a decent amount of groundballs as well. He surprised me the most out of this group because how horrible he had been this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom