• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malo

Banned
Baseball Prospectus has released it's list of the top 101 prospects coming into 2017.

Strange to see no Vladdy Guerrero Jr. on the list for the Jays, considering he was ranked 34th on MLB.com's 2017 prospect pipeline, and 20th on Baseball America's list.

Though, as someone in /r/baseball points out: "One thing that comes into play with all of these lists is where the scouts are located themselves. BP is excellent, but heavily located in the Northeast and Florida, so it tends to skew towards players they've seen in the area. GCL darlings like Sandy Alcantara and Juan Soto are much higher here because the scouts are more familiar with them."
Nine in the top 101 is certainly exciting but I'm surprised to see Abreu and Wade make the list.

Nine in the top 101 is certainly exciting but I'm surprised to see Abreu and Wade make the list.

It's funny to see the Yankees essentially reloaded and ready to take the AL by storm again, and it seemed like only yesterday people were telling Cashman to start the teardown.

Malo

Banned
It's funny to see the Yankees essentially reloaded and ready to take the AL by storm again, and it seemed like only yesterday people were telling Cashman to start the teardown.
I've been wanting a tear down for a while. I remember wanting Cash and the rest of FO to have a fire sale in 2013 when Cano, Robertson and Granderson we're in their walk years.

Only took them some years later to finally come to their senses.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Baseball Prospectus has released it's list of the top 101 prospects coming into 2017.

Strange to see no Vladdy Guerrero Jr. on the list for the Jays, considering he was ranked 34th on MLB.com's 2017 prospect pipeline, and 20th on Baseball America's list.

Though, as someone in /r/baseball points out: "One thing that comes into play with all of these lists is where the scouts are located themselves. BP is excellent, but heavily located in the Northeast and Florida, so it tends to skew towards players they've seen in the area. GCL darlings like Sandy Alcantara and Juan Soto are much higher here because the scouts are more familiar with them."
Acuna ahead of Albies. I think that is a first. Anyway, 8 braves on the list. in line with the other lists. (BA had 8, Law had 9.)

The homogenization of ballparks

That’s a lot of lip service to creating ballparks that play fair, all specifically in reference to ballparks built in the last 20 years. You surely could find similar quotes about most ballparks built in that time frame. Implicit in those statements is that ballparks that came before possessed different dimensions that didn’t play fair, at least not fair to any sort of league-wide standard. There’s a lot of truth to that notion. Ballparks today have become more and more homogenized, while ballparks of yore possessed wild fluctuations in dimensions.

No ballpark better encapsulated these fluctuations than the Polo Grounds. For the last 41 years in which baseball was played at the Polo Grounds, the distance to straight-away center ranged from 475 to 505 feet away from home plate. By contrast, the distance to the foul pole in left field was a mere 280 feet, and right field was a miniscule 256 feet. It was a horseshoe.

Though there is a comment that I think sums up very well why the ballparks of the past were so unique:

I have a hunch that many of the parks from the19th and early 20th centuries were constructed according to the physical configurations of the city in which they were built. The left field wall in Fenway was not created to satisfy the aesthetic palates of the average fan but to prevent balls from hitting residents in Kenmore Square. This theory probably applies to Ebbets Field and the old Yankee Stadium as well. Again, just a hunch with nothing to support it.

Construction technology probably has a lot to do with it too. a lot of the old stadiums are square etc.. because they had to be.

Worst era for stadiums was the 60s multi use ones. Thankfully those are all but gone.

Absolutely, the cookie cutter stadiums of the 70's and 80's are all but gone. But tbh, I am kind of glad we are moving away from the neo-classical style that Camden popularized. It was nice the first couple of times, but not when everybody and their mother is doing it.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Silver's checklist for staying alive:

1: don't say anything controversial
2: don't try to be personal in attacks
3: say things like 'ketchup on hot dogs is alright' and 'no DH in AL anymore'
4: ????
5: Profit!

If you ever feel like you need an editor to check a potentially controversial post, pm me. Sincerely.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
MLB ‏@MLB

@Nationals, 1B Adam Lind reportedly agree to deal, pending physical. Club has not confirmed

Beckx

If you ever feel like you need an editor to check a potentially controversial post, pm me. Sincerely.

"Dear Cygnus,

Please review this draft post. Do you think I am going too far when I call the person I disagree with a fucking blight on the ass of humanity? I think given the situation it is warranted and will convince many people.

your pal,

Arrows

P.S. CyngusX1 is a better cosmic anomaly, but you're still okay."

Friggz

I've been wanting a tear down for a while. I remember wanting Cash and the rest of FO to have a fire sale in 2013 when Cano, Robertson and Granderson we're in their walk years.

Only took them some years later to finally come to their senses.

jsut think what they could have gotten if they traded cano like they should have.

"Dear Cygnus,

Please review this draft post. Do you think I am going too far when I call the person I disagree with a fucking blight on the ass of humanity? I think given the situation it is warranted and will convince many people.

your pal,

Arrows

P.S. CyngusX1 is a better cosmic anomaly, but you're still okay."

yeah, that sounds like me

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It's what I wanted but the name was taken already. :(

There are still variations of it not taken!

bLfPtKbl.png

You can do Cygnus-X1, or Cygnus_X1, or __Cygnus-X1__ even!

According to Shi Davidi, Joe Biagini could be starting off as a starter in AAA.

Other bits and bobs from the past weekend in Jays land:

The Blue Jays Front Office Paid a Visit to the San Antonio Spurs

Don't Hold Your Breath For Rogers Centre Grass

According to Stephen, this was Shapiro's reply to an audience member's request for an update on the University of Guelph feasibility study and the potential for bringing grass to the Rogers Centre:

"We want to turn this stadium into a ballpark; that means we have to consider many renos that could be made. Texas is tearing down a stadium younger than this one, but we can't do that. We have to make this place better. We could do anything, but it would cost a tonne of money to put grass in here.‎ We would have to see the cost and then weigh that against what it means we cannot do because we spent that money on grass."

Stephen says that Shapiro explained that ‎drainage is biggest challenge, but not the only one. "The turf would need to be changed three times a year, the roof cannot be opened until May, both major challenges," Shapiro said.

Shapiro didn't mention the Guelph study or the results thereof, but did defend the turf that's currently in place. "I heard so much about the turf when I first came here, but it's only two years old and it plays very well. It plays true. I can tell you that the turf is not a factor in players coming here."

I find that last statement somewhat dubious -- though the turf certainly didn't drive José Bautista away (though there were other obvious factors that brought him back to the Jays) -- but the rest of it seems about right. And while nobody ever wants to see a massive company like Rogers shying away from cost, this is... it's just... it's going to cost them way too much to do this. We might have to let this dream die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom