• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Man, the Mets really should retire Gary Carter's number. It really pissed me off that the HOF gave him an Expos cap instead of a Mets cap.

RIP, Kid.

Yeah, it would only be more frustrating and patronizing if they did it now.

Lord knows I wasn't rooting for that damn '86 team but it does feel like a piece of my childhood just disappeared. I always liked him and he was the player I most associated with the championship team.

eznark

Banned
God took the wrong Gary.

nSrld.jpg

Looks like Tim Wakefield will retire today. Another brother of the Knuckleball fraternity is gone.
Also, looks like the Pirates are only going to give up two low A players and the trade is close to done according to mlbtraderumors.com. Nice move for both teams.

jakncoke

Banned
It was on this day in 1971 that the Red Sox signed Carl Yastrzemski to a three-year, $500K deal that was (at the time) the richest player contract in baseball history. Fast-forward 40 years and the annual minimum salary for a Major League player in 2011 was $414K.

Always funny to see how salaries have changed.

Sanjuro

Looks like Tim Wakefield will retire today. Another brother of the Knuckleball fraternity is gone.
Also, looks like the Pirates are only going to give up two low A players and the trade is close to done according to mlbtraderumors.com. Nice move for both teams.

nooooooooooooooooooooo

Malo

Banned
Ken Rosenthal

Source: Yankees, Pirates in agreement on Burnett. Were working through one final detail today. Burnett will take physical Sunday. MLB
Pirates are reportedly going to take on $13 mill.

Cash for president.

Fenix

@EThames14 said:
Symphony X and Iced Earth concert tonight! Sporting the 30 lb. death boots, throwing haymakers. Then the mojo carries on to the 727
I really want Snider to win the LF gig, but holy hell Thames is so awesome.

rekameohs

Banned
Just coming to say that Gary Carter was one of my favorite players of all time. He'll be missed. The arguments over which team he really defined don't really matter; he was a great person.

Maxim726X

I fail to see how it's a nice deal for the Pirates...

I fail to see how it's a nice deal for the Pirates...
A change of scenery for a guy who has great stuff and who is leaving the AL east to the NL Central. Less pressure out in Pittsburgh. They need pitching, take a chance on a guy who has shown he can pitch. And if he sucks? 13 milliion ain't a bad risk, the Pirates are filthy rich! (Renevue-Sharing.)

Parch

Mystery team will win the mlb gaf fantasy baseball league.

That's my team
Mystery team will be mystery meat.

I think 14 teams is enough. Too many and there's nothing but turds left if you need an injury replacement.

Join NEOGAF Fantasy Baseball, 4 spots left.
Yahoo Head to head league, Live draft Sun Mar 25, 7:00pm ET

League ID# 58484
Password: GAF

TheNatural

My Member!
Fuck I'm ready for baseball. Fuck I'm ready for baseball. Fuck I'm ready for baseball. Fuck I'm ready for baseball. Fuck I'm ready for baseball. Fuck I'm ready for baseball. Fuck I'm ready for baseball. Fuck I'm ready for baseball. Fuck I'm ready for baseball. Fuck I'm ready for baseball. Fuck I'm ready for baseball. Fuck I'm ready for baseball. Fuck I'm ready for baseball. Fuck I'm ready for baseball. Fuck I'm ready for baseball. Fuck I'm ready for baseball.

It's only February damnit.

TheNatural

My Member!
ESPN having Baseball Tonight on .. right now. And shocker, wall to wall Yankees coverage. Because, you know, their offseason was so exciting.

Kuroyume

Banned
The Pirates are such morons. As if he his going to help them do anything. Yes, even in the NL. It's like teams are always willing to help the Yankees out. If it's not helping them with a shitty player/contract then it's trading them a good player at the trade deadline for nothing. All the time. Cashman must make animal sacrifices to satan or something.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Other baseball teams apparently don't exist according to ESPN. New year, same old shit.
stop watching espn for your sports info. It will make you feel better. Just stick to the web.

I did that a few years ago, it's been glorious.

TheNatural

My Member!
stop watching espn for your sports info. It will make you feel better. Just stick to the web.

I don't watch it, I just saw the tag when I was reading the preview on espn.com. I figured they would be doing some preview of some sort, so I put it on, but I was badly mistaken. But hey, I'm glad I learned CC Sabathia gave up Captain Crunch. Big time info there.

Parch

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So you cant answer it, I figured that would be the case. The Yankees are supposedly a WS contender this year, and they just took a player off their big league roster for some prospects. I really dont see how that makes them a better team this year.

Burnett wasn't going to make the rotation.

CC + Pineda + Kuroda + Nova + Hughes is a rotation that stacks up with anybody else. Burentt wasn't going to make the club, they dump him and save $13 million the process giving them more flexibility to make a move down the road.

How exactly does this not make them a better team this year?

Burnett wasn't going to make the rotation.

CC + Pineda + Kuroda + Nova + Hughes is a rotation that stacks up with anybody else. Burentt wasn't going to make the club, they dump him and save $13 million the process giving them more flexibility to make a move down the road.

How exactly does this not make them a better team this year?

What if one of those guys gets hurt or struggles? I just dont see how dumping a guy makes a team better, the Yankees have the money they could afford to keep him as insurance just incase.

Malo

Banned
What if one of those guys gets hurt or struggles? I just dont see how dumping a guy makes a team better, the Yankees have the money they could afford to keep him as insurance just incase.
They have Garcia for insurance and in the minors they have Warren, Phelps, Banuelos, and Betances, who could all give you similar production that Burnett gave the yankees the past two seasons.

He was expendable.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Well Garcia and Hughes will battle it out for the 5th spot.

If somebody gets hurt later on in the season they can just simply trade for a guy (or call up one of their near major league ready prospects) and it'd be easier now with some of Burnett's money off the books. Yankees get rid of a guy they really didn't want and saved some money in the process. There really is no downside to the trade.

For the Pirates I totally get why they made the move. Burnett could bounce back and become an actual trade asset down the line. It's pretty low risk on their part and could pay off huge dividends.

Well Garcia and Hughes will battle it out for the 5th spot.

If somebody gets hurt later on in the season they can just simply trade for a guy (or call up one of their near major league ready prospects) and it'd be easier now with some of Burnett's money off the books. Yankees get rid of a guy they really didn't want and saved some money in the process. There really is no downside to the trade.

For the Pirates I totally get why they made the move. Burnett could bounce back and become an actual trade asset down the line. It's pretty low risk on their part and could pay off huge dividends.

I agree it is a good move for the Pirates, I was just a bit surprised to see the Yankees trade a guy that was a big part of them winning a WS a few years ago and not getting much back. You just dont see them making salary dump moves like this very often.

jman2050

AJ is gone, FREE AT LAST

FREE AT LAST

FREE AT LAST

Also if someone on the staff goes down you have players like Freddy Garcia, Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances that can make some spot starts/fill the hole for a bit, or take a flyer on some old veteran who's bouncing around, or trade for someone, or do any of that, and get roughly the same amount of production we'd get from AJ Burnett anyway.

Basically the only possible downside to this trade is slightly thinning our pitching depth, and that can be addressed.

They have Garcia for insurance and in the minors they have Warren, Phelps, Banuelos, and Betances, who could all give you similar production that Burnett gave the yankees the past two seasons.

He was expendable.

Yep.

Plus with that free cash, we can go and add that DH/utility guy or two to fill out the roster.

Johnny Damon will probably be back, and Eric Chavez too. Good times, Yankee bros.
CANT WAIT.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Derek Lowe and AJ Burnett: both landed large FA contracts in the same off-season, and then were both dumped like hot garbage in the same off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom