• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
The September 2012 Braves are experiencing the same woes the September 2011 Braves experienced: a lack of hitting with runners in scoring position.

The Braves have gone from lackluster to staggeringly bad in this category. In their past 25 games, they are hitting an unbelievable .157 (31-for-198) with RISP. They are 11-14 in those 25 games. This includes a 3-for-34 against the Rockies in a four-game series to end the last homestand. Amazingly, the Braves won 3 out of 4 in that series due to superb pitching and the poor Rockies defense (who lead MLB in errors).

After an 11-run outburst against the Mets on Saturday that everybody had hoped broke the ice, the bats went back to freezing for the next four games, going 2-for-20 with RISP in the final game against the Mets and three against the red-hot Brewers. The Braves went 1-3 in those games.

In the midst of their three-game sweep at the hands of the blazing Brewers, the Braves only scored three runs the entire series. Two of those three runs were produced by double play ground balls. The other run was a mammoth solo home run by Jason Heyward in the third game. Despite having the lowest team ERA since the All-Star Break in the Majors, the Braves pitching wasn't there to bail out the bats this time. The Brewers touched up the staff for 17 runs (15 earned) in the series.

The recent dearth of RISP hitting has sunk the team average in that category to dead last in the Majors. Yes, the Braves' .231 season average with RISP is now lower than the Cubs (.232), Indians (.232), Padres (.233), Marlins (.234), Astros (.237) -- everyone.

One of the top culprits for this poor performance is Brian McCann. 2012 is McCann's first full season in the big leagues since his July 2005 debut that he was not elected to the NL All-Star Team. In the midst of having a career-worst offensive season across the board, McCann's situational hitting has also tanked. This season, McCann's .167 (19-for-114) average with RISP is fifth-lowest in the NL among batters that qualify for the batting title.

McCann's first-half struggles were primarily attributed to out-of-whack mechanics developed when the slugging catcher came back too early from an oblique injury for last season's stretch run. He experienced a renaissance in July, smashing 9 home runs and driving in 21 runs for the month while producing a .296/.354/.704 line. However, a right shoulder injury suffered in late-July has slowed him down to first-half production again.

McCann didn't have an extra-base hit the entire month of August. He found himself losing playing time to David Ross whenever a left-handed pitcher was on the mound. A two-run double off the Mets' Jeremy Hefner on September 8 was his first extra-base hit since July 31.

He has received two cortisone shots in the shoulder attempting to play through an injury he claims is a frayed labrum. McCann also says a cyst has formed on the joint, which will require surgery in the offseason to remove. McCann has showed some progress since the last shot. McCann has hit .368 (7-for-19) in his last 5 games, with 2 home runs and 6 RBIs. A couple of his outs in the Brewers series were hard-hit shots to right field.

The Braves hold a $13 million option on McCann for 2013. When Yadier Molina signed his 5-year, $75 million extension with the Cardinals during spring training, many assumed McCann, widely considered a star above Molina, would command a deal in excess of $100 million. This option once seemed a foregone conclusion, but now some serious thought will have to be made.

The Braves have to decide whether or not McCann's career-worst season is an injury-caused aberration or the beginning of a decline. Despite being in the Majors since 2005, McCann is still only 28 years old. But scouts say McCann looks like an "old 28". Scouts also point out that McCann's lack of devotion to keeping himself in shape will cost him years of playing time and production since he plays such a physically demanding position.

eznark

Banned
Really? So Mac, Bonds, Sosa, Clemens etc. are going to make it in on their first ballot? It's the same deal.

Don't even know what that means.

No it isn't, it isn't remotely the same thing. The MVP is based on a single season. Unless Starks thinks Braun is juicing this year then his exoneration from last year is meaningless and has no place in the discussion.

It's exactly the same thing, except a seasons' performance is being evaluated rather than the entire body of work. I guarantee Stark isn't the only one that feels this way, so save your wrath until after Posey wins.

Yeah, because voters shouldn't give a shit about the integrity of the game, right?

What integrity? Who knows how many players in any sport have been on shit. Integrity is a little over blown. The game should be respected, but at the end of the day its just a game. Roids don't give you magical powers, just a leg up.

What integrity? Who knows how many players in any sport have been on shit. Integrity is a little over blown. The game should be respected, but at the end of the day its just a game. Roids don't give you magical powers, just a leg up.

Tell that to the guys who spent 20 years in the league only to watch some joke come in and hit 73 home runs in a season. That's closer to magical powers than a leg up.

i wouldnt vote for anyone who has tested positive for roids but if players that used roids do make it to the Hall of Fame, there should be mention of the roids on the players plaque at least.

Askani

Shooting at the K. Apparently it's been bad for us for long enough that we're turning on ourselves.

Actually, sounds like a Domestic deal. Glad I didn't take up the offer for tickets tonight.

harSon

Banned
Hurdle has to go.

We all knew he was a mediocre game manager when hiring him, but he's supposed to be a player's coach, and somebody with the ability to inspire his team.

Not only does he suck at managing games, single handedly giving away a 15+ games, but we don't look very fucking inspired considering we've completely fallen apart at the seams for two straight seasons now.

I know we were overachieving, but continuously losing to teams like the Cubs and Astros is fucking disgraceful.

At the very least, maybe the post coach firing bump teams get will be enough to keep us hovering over .500

eznark

Banned
iRPzWphXI9Sfi.png

Told you so

harSon

Banned
iRPzWphXI9Sfi.png

Told you so

What tipped you off, the fact that we were on a 6 game losing streak going into this game? Or perhaps the fact that we're 9-24 in our last 33 games? Or maybe the fact that we've lost multiple series to the Astros, Cubs and Padres?

You truly are a psychic!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
What tipped you off, the fact that we were on a 6 game losing streak going into this game? Or perhaps the fact that we're 9-24 in our last 33 games? Or maybe the fact that we've lost multiple series to the Astros, Cubs and Padres?

You truly are a psychic!
probably the name of the team.

Chris Carpenter is throwing a 90-pitch simulated game this weekend. If he gets through it, he will make a start next week against the Astros.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
So where does everyone sit on the Pirates? Will they get a winning season, or maybe losing? Will they end at .500? Take your guesses!

I personally think they will end up sub-.500.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I was really excited for this Nats-Braves series, but somehow the Nats are 8.5 games up. That happened fast.

Well I'm still excited, I'd like the chance to watch the Nats clinch at home next week.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Nats have Killer Bryce and Big Dez.

I know you're just proud of your fantasy team, but you leave out Ryan Zimmerman.

I want to know what the most effective cortisone injections in history were:

Zim was hitting .218 with 3 home runs (and 0.0 WAR!) on June 24 when he got it and look at him now..(4.6 WAR)

Tell that to the guys who spent 20 years in the league only to watch some joke come in and hit 73 home runs in a season. That's closer to magical powers than a leg up.
If you think it only takes Roid's to hit a hr then your crazy. It helps, yes. It's not everything though. Taking Roids is still a shitty thing to do however.

McNei1y

I know you're just proud of your fantasy team, but you leave out Ryan Zimmerman.

I want to know what the most effective cortisone injections in history were:

Zim was hitting .218 with 3 home runs (and 0.0 WAR!) on June 24 when he got it and look at him now..(4.6 WAR)

Yeah that was an incredible cortisone shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom