• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Playoffs 2017 OT:It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The Washington Post of all places had an interesting article talking about how the Cubs can someone snatch victory when they really shouldn't have a shot at winning the game:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...0e2e1d41e38_story.html?utm_term=.728c7d042690

The bats were getting dominated all game by Stras, yet the team took advantage of literally the only scoring opportunity they had against him. Good starting pitching definitely helps. I'll roll with Hendricks in any big game situation and think he can out pitch the competition.
the Washington post always has great coverage of the nationals, so not surprising.

gamz

The Washington Post of all places had an interesting article talking about how the Cubs can someone snatch victory when they really shouldn't have a shot at winning the game:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...0e2e1d41e38_story.html?utm_term=.728c7d042690

The bats were getting dominated all game by Stras, yet the team took advantage of literally the only scoring opportunity they had against him. Good starting pitching definitely helps. I'll roll with Hendricks in any big game situation and think he can out pitch the competition.

At least it was only the ALDS. Joe Maddon picked game 7 of the world series to have his worst managed game of all time. He luckily got bailed out by his players. I wonder how people would think of him of a manager if the Cubs had lost that game.

Fantastic article! Thanks for that.

bebop242

At least it was only the ALDS. Joe Maddon picked game 7 of the world series to have his worst managed game of all time. He luckily got bailed out by his players. I wonder how people would think of him of a manager if the Cubs had lost that game.

Just a couple days ago I was bitching with a few coworkers about that. Still can't believe he pulled Hendricks with 2 outs and a walk (bad call by ump to boot) up by 4 runs. I had asked when Maddon was going to start trusting Hendricks and I think last night answered that for me. Then all the other fuckery in that game.

He was damn lucky Chapman was able to get out of the ninth with nothing left in his arm.

3N16MA

Banned
Lost in all this was Chad Green's poor performance, Frazier's big errors, and the offense going cold after Bird's homer and not answering the grand slam with even 1 run of their own. Torreye getting picked off second was also a huge deal. Girardi deserves all the criticism he gets but the team needs to be held accountable as a whole.

Maybe Girardi should have kept CC in and not rely on his pen to once again pitch 3+ innings. His binder must of told him that Green and D-Rob were good for another 30+ pitch outing.

Yanks made mistakes and coulden't answer back which is on them. Girardi takes blame for putting them in that situation to begin with.

3N16MA

Banned
Geez, with that attitude forget it.

I know the Yanks record in one run games and their problem with blowing saves this season. That being said the Yanks blew 6 saves in the 2nd half which was tied for the 3rd fewest in baseball. They blew 1 the entire final month.

Pen improved by getting D-Rob, Kahnle, and dumping Clippard.

Holder and Clippard blew more saves in the first half than the entire pen in the 2nd half.

Caja 117

I know the Yanks record in one run games and their problem with blowing saves this season. That being said the Yanks blew 6 saves in the 2nd half which was tied for the 3rd fewest in baseball. They blew 1 the entire final month.

Pen improved by getting D-Rob, Kahnle, and dumping Clippard.

Holder and Clippard blew more saves in the first half than the entire pen in the 2nd half.
You mean they blew one save in the entire month of september who they played against teams like Texas and Minesota? And even like that, they ended up in a 3-3 record on one run games?

The problem is just not about the bullpen, is from starting pitchers, to managers, deffense and the offense. Yankees didnt score one run after the 5th inning, they lasted practically one full game without scoring a run- and when they get a runner in scoring position with no out and that player get himself out Before he can give any real chance to the lineup to do something

You cant expect a team like the indians to not score a single run in 4 innings no matter what reliever you send out there. Last night it was a full team effort to lose that game.

Maybe Girardi should have kept CC in and not rely on his pen to once again pitch 3+ innings. His binder must of told him that Green and D-Rob were good for another 30+ pitch outing.

Yanks made mistakes and coulden't answer back which is on them. Girardi takes blame for putting them in that situation to begin with.

They scored 8 runs, 6 off Kluber and had a five run lead. Anything before that is excusable.

Robertson pitching was asinine and so was Green. These dudes were tired, no doubt.

CC could have gone 7 innings. Turn it to Delly and Chapman. Ball game.

Plus, Torreyes got picked off after Girardi made the move. That’s partially on him too.

I personally Joe should not an expect an extension. He’s a statistic driven manager that doesn’t let the game playing out adjust his approach.

Mrbob

Lester you kind of sucked during the regular season but all will be forgiven with good post season performances.

Top Bottom