• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 17' |OT| Now with less Papi!

Yeah, hitting is totally fucked in this game now. I'm fucking sick and tired of damn near perfect PCI placement getting me a soft line drive to the infield or a routine fly ball to the outfield. I don't even want to play anymore. I've been in the top 25 of challenge of the week multiple times so I know what it takes to hit in this game. And they've fucking torched it now.

Pitched a perfect game against a guy will an all bronze team in Unranked with Oliver Perez. Surprised the guy didn't quit.

DEBHi_5UIAEIeg7

I need 25 more walks for Hanley :|

ROFL, finished the Marlins epic tonight and of course I pull a Stanton from a pack before bed.....that's some good stubbage

sh1fty

So in my quest for the Platinum Trophy I finally jumped into Ranked Seasons last night. My squad is pretty stacked compared to the teams I'm running into (mostly silver, bronzes and a few golds). This is the roster I'm using:

LS Blackmon (88)
HW McCutchen (95)
LS Arenado (93)
LS Freeman (92)
AS Lucroy (92)
HW Jackson (94)
IV Kinsler (93)
RK Tulo (89)

I ended the session 3-1 which was much better than I expected.

Lost the first game 1-0 as I was completely unprepared for how laggy and janky the online play feels. He was also using Steven Wright (knuckleballer) which made things tougher.

I won the next 3 for various reasons... 2nd game was 20-1 (ended due to mercy rule)... 3rd game I was winning 3-0 before I lost connection, apparently still got credit for win though... and 4th game I was up 6-0 and the guy started throwing at my batters (ended due to mercy rule after 4-5 plunked batters).

I don't know how you guys play online... fielding and trying to control runners is atrocious with how laggy and slow it is. I could barely highlight the runners to advance them bases and there were fielding errors galore (both scripted and user's fault).

I don't know how I do it either. Lol.

I'm at the point now where I refuse to get emotional about any shit......ah fuck it, I'm lying. I have a stress ball lying around that I will pick up and slam on the floor anytime some bullshit happens.

For the most part though I have everything I need/want roster wise, so losing a game is just whatever. Most painful losses still come in BR especially when you are 10-1, two wins from LS Andrew Miller, and you can't hit the ball at all...

sh1fty

I don't know how I do it either. Lol.

I'm at the point now where I refuse to get emotional about any shit......ah fuck it, I'm lying. I have a stress ball lying around that I will pick up and slam on the floor anytime some bullshit happens.

For the most part though I have everything I need/want roster wise, so losing a game is just whatever. Most painful losses still come in BR especially when you are 10-1, two wins from LS Andrew Miller, and you can't hit the ball at all...

Is it a connection thing or is online always that bad? I'm on the East Coast so maybe the distance to San Diego hurts me, I don't know.

I'd hit it to the gap and my runners would literally stop at 1st base for 4 seconds before I could finally highlight them and press triangle.

Is it a connection thing or is online always that bad? I'm on the East Coast so maybe the distance to San Diego hurts me, I don't know.

I'd hit it to the gap and my runners would literally stop at 1st base for 4 seconds before I could finally highlight them and press triangle.

Sounds par for the course!

Crazy stuff happens online that doesn't happen offline. Slowing fielding animations is what kills me, same with unresponsive base running. When it should be a routine double play but it isn't. Or when your throw to third is so clearly on time but the game takes forever for your guy to tag the runner.

Posted this here a few days ago, worth watching if you haven't yet. It's online play in a nutshell.

https://youtu.be/ZPjzqWWDfFo

Also, I want to reach through my monitor and strangle people who lead off obsessively. In my opinion if you choose to lead off, telling your runner to retreat in case of a pick-off should be manual too. It's bullshit that runners get such an advantage without leadoffs can just keep doing that shit with no penalty. I can throw a pitch out combined with a slide step and still get beaten.

sh1fty

Sounds par for the course!

Crazy stuff happens online that doesn't happen offline. Slowing fielding animations is what kills me, same with unresponsive base running. When it should be a routine double play but it isn't. Or when your throw to third is so clearly on time but the game takes forever for your guy to tag the runner.

Posted this here a few days ago, worth watching if you haven't yet. It's online play in a nutshell.

https://youtu.be/ZPjzqWWDfFo

Also, I want to reach through my monitor and strangle people who lead off obsessively. In my opinion if you choose to lead off, telling your runner to retreat in case of a pick-off should be manual too. It's bullshit that runners get such an advantage without leadoffs can just keep doing that shit with no penalty. I can throw a pitch out combined with a slide step and still get beaten.

Luckily I'm 1 win away (currently 186 rating) from the Platinum so I won't have to endure it much longer lol.

I definitely noticed some weird slow animation stuff too... One guy had Ben Revere (93 speed) as his leadoff and he hit a hard groundball directly to my 93 Kinsler and Kinsler's throwing animation was super slow and Revere beat out the throw by a solid 2 seconds. I also had my outfielders lightly jogging towards fly balls and balls in the gap.

I don't really run into lag or problems controlling base runners online in 17. Haven't been screwed yet by poor infield animations allowing a routine ground ball to turn into a base hit either. I do have an issue with too many errors catching fly balls in the outfield and horrible tag animations, especially at 2nd base. Too many time a routine fly ball gets dropped, or I'll have a guy stealing 2nd thrown out by 15 feet for my short stop or second baseman to just whiff on the tag. I say I won't let it bother me either, but when it happens and it costs me runs I want to punch a hole through my tv.

sh1fty

I also noticed there were times when I was trying to hit my pitch accuracy (trying to time the expanding and closing circle as small as possible) and it wouldn't let me do anything... Is this because the opponent is holding down R2? I've seen people talk about that on the ShowNation forums.

Was frustrating the first few times when I thought it was my controller bugging out so I start mashing X and just as he stopped holding R2 I accidentally get stuck with a large circle and bad pitch.

Probably says something that 4 games into Ranked and 2 of them turned into goofball fests where the other guy stopped trying and started doing stupid annoying stuff after falling behind.

Rommel

I also noticed there were times when I was trying to hit my pitch accuracy (trying to time the expanding and closing circle as small as possible) and it wouldn't let me do anything... Is this because the opponent is holding down R2? I've seen people talk about that on the ShowNation forums.

Was frustrating the first few times when I thought it was my controller bugging out so I start mashing X and just as he stopped holding R2 I accidentally get stuck with a large circle and bad pitch.

Probably says something that 4 games into Ranked and 2 of them turned into goofball fests where the other guy stopped trying and started doing stupid annoying stuff after falling behind.

I had a guy doing that crap one game consistently anytime he had anyone on base. It was ridiculous. I'd be mashing the button to pitch for 5 seconds before I'd just step off the mound. I just kept stepping off the mound and told him I will keep doing so until he stops doing that.

sh1fty

Most of my gametime with this game has been online for years so it's what I'm use to. Playing the CPU, to me, is kind of boring.

It's certainly less entertaining. In the game I won 20-1 I was actually laughing at some of the stuff he was doing... routine flyout, he had his outfielders diving and jumping around and missing the ball on purpose.

Next event is going to be fun

Common pitchers and power hitters, 3 inning games, 20 wins gets you 91 Chris Davis, 12 win streak gets you 98 Louis Tiant

10 cumulative wins gets you a live series gold

Next event is going to be fun

Common pitchers and power hitters, 3 inning games, 20 wins gets you 91 Chris Davis, 12 win streak gets you 98 Louis Tiant

10 cumulative wins gets you a live series gold

lol that's easy

*researches cheesy common pitchers*

oh damn that tiant card might be nice

Rommel

Boo I'll be out of town for the moonshot event. Unless I stay up late sunday night when I get back and grind it out.

Rommel

POTM cards drop tomorrow. I'm getting my stubs ready because the POTM card sets are one I want to complete each one.

Rommel

Fuck! I fed that guy to my CAP earlier!

Those are 20k right? Trying to see if the 20k I have wil be worth it for one of those..

What I want is those packs in a pack lol

Yah they are 20k.

I have 7 of Cloyd, must be a recent call up since I have 50+ of most commons.

Since it's all common pitchers I think this is the lineup I'll trot out

C: posada
1b: Cabrera
2b: Sandberg
Ss: ripken
3b: seager...or han ram
Of: trout, griffey, judge

Since it's all common pitchers I think this is the lineup I'll trot out

C: posada
1b: Cabrera
2b: Sandberg
Ss: ripken
3b: seager...or han ram
Of: trout, griffey, judge

Dunno if that will fit under the cap lol

How did you guys grind the walks for Hanley?

Dunno if that will fit under the cap lol

How did you guys grind the walks for Hanley?

I think I just blasted through conquest on all-star and wouldn't swing at shit until I had 2 strikes

Gotta be honest. It just kind of happened. Thankfully I didn't have to think about it much. just load up a lineup of all veterans, focus on beating conquest again for that free 10 pack, and it'll happen on its own.

I ain't doing it this time. As much as it would be nice for a switch-hitting 3B, I ain't dropping the money this time. Every time, I have received the lowest rated card.

They got these 7k jumbo packs that gives you a guaranteed all star and....24 other cards (at least 12 of them will be common)

I've bought 3, got 2 worthless gold AS players and an 80 brandon moss. you can buy 5 at most. I'm just going to buy 2 more because why the hell not

Mother fucker. I did it even though I said I wouldn't. I get the fucking lowest card again. Fuck!!!!!!!!!! Breaks shit in my head!!!! Fuck!

lmao!

Rommel just says fuck it, save the pain, just buy the cards outright

This event is fun.....1.5 games in. You really can stack your lineups and bench. If I can keep this going I might keep playing this event for the streak reward. Should get to 6 wins first before talking lol
but so far all 3 of my opponents were WS

turns out smacking someone around is a lot more fun than having it done to you

tbhysgb

Rtts pisses me off. Create a starter. Averaging 1.5 Ks/inning low era. Continuously putting out 7 inning starts. Told they need me as a late reliever. Finish the season and am told I might be called up for the post season. Nothing happens and end up starting the season in AA. Bitch I spent a year and a half in AAA. So now I'm a AA closer. >.>

Rommel

lmao!

Rommel just says fuck it, save the pain, just buy the cards outright

Pretty much. Did it in the limo from the Vegas airport to the Cosmo. Driving kept trying to talk to me and I was busy trying to buy POTM cards!

After this update I can now run a full POTM team, which I will do whenever I play ranked once I finish the cards missions.

Wow. I found a Switch-pitcher for this event. Yes switch-pitcher. He changes for every batter. He also throws side arm. He is rated 60 and his name is Pat Venditte.

Wow. I found a Switch-pitcher for this event. Yes switch-pitcher. He changes for every batter. He also throws side arm. He is rated 60 and his name is Pat Venditte.

You've never heard of him? Hes played for a few seasons with a few different teams

This event team has 5 99's....this should be fun....

AARON JUDGE WALKOFF GRAND SLAM!!! Santa maria!

Went 5-2 on my first run

496 foot homer with Judge, wow lol

10 win reward = Jason Kipnis =/

I did a lot of thinking on this one but I think it wil work out. I sold Thor who I was 5-0 with. I then was able to get:

POTM Chase Anderson 90
Joe Nathan 94
Fernando Rodney 92

YqcIooo.png

I did a lot of thinking on this one but I think it wil work out. I sold Thor who I was 5-0 with. I then was able to get:

POTM Chase Anderson 90
Joe Nathan 94
Fernando Rodney 92

YqcIooo.png

I'm tempted to sell Sale and do something similar. I'm not nearly as good with him as I thought I would be, I feel like I can't control him the way I'd like especially for a guy who goes for like 100,000 stubs. I know that seems crazy when you look at his control numbers on DL, but something just hasn't clicked so far with me.

I'm tempted to sell Sale and do something similar. I'm not nearly as good with him as I thought I would be, I feel like I can't control him the way I'd like especially for a guy who goes for like 100,000 stubs. I know that seems crazy when you look at his control numbers on DL, but something just hasn't clicked so far with me.

Do you pitch with pitch trail on? I started doing that recently and it's helped. Now you can see what trajectory the batter sees, so you know better where you want to put the location. I used to throw balls in places I didn't think the batter could hit well, but when I got smashed, I started realizing that I didn't have a really accurate read on where my pitches were supposed to end up.

With that being said, I get my ass kicked using Sale sometimes, and I've hit well off him too. It just happens...keep giving it a shot.

I have read that Chase Anderson card is nice. I wonder what people think of Luis Taint. Kind of want to sell my IV Nolan for an upgrade.

Do you pitch with pitch trail on? I started doing that recently and it's helped. Now you can see what trajectory the batter sees, so you know better where you want to put the location. I used to throw balls in places I didn't think the batter could hit well, but when I got smashed, I started realizing that I didn't have a really accurate read on where my pitches were supposed to end up.

With that being said, I get my ass kicked using Sale sometimes, and I've hit well off him too. It just happens...keep giving it a shot.

I have read that Chase Anderson card is nice. I wonder what people think of Luis Taint. Kind of want to sell my IV Nolan for an upgrade.

Does pitch trail default to off, because I don't remember ever toggling it on anywhere. I think I've only thrown with Sale maybe 5 times since I bought him, first time he got hurt in the 3rd inning, next two times he was great, the two times after that I got shelled including giving up three straight bombs with him. My only real rationale for selling him would be I could buy something like that Chase Anderson, Rodney, and then maybe another diamond starter to plug in my 5th spot since I've been using the LS Carlos Martinez there.

I'm currently sitting at 720 in RS and have tonight, all day tomorrow, and parts of Monday and Tuesday and making a run at 900 and that Miggy card and I'm trying to figure out if I stand a better chance with just Sale, or two replacement starters and a shutdown pen arm.

Does pitch trail default to off, because I don't remember ever toggling it on anywhere. I think I've only thrown with Sale maybe 5 times since I bought him, first time he got hurt in the 3rd inning, next two times he was great, the two times after that I got shelled including giving up three straight bombs with him. My only real rationale for selling him would be I could buy something like that Chase Anderson, Rodney, and then maybe another diamond starter to plug in my 5th spot since I've been using the LS Carlos Martinez there.

I'm currently sitting at 720 in RS and have tonight, all day tomorrow, and parts of Monday and Tuesday and making a run at 900 and that Miggy card and I'm trying to figure out if I stand a better chance with just Sale, or two replacement starters and a shutdown pen arm.

What kind of pitches have been getting smashed?

These are the three most commonly smashed pitches for me, if you miss the location by just a bit or they sit on it (I can get predictable without realizing it)

1. Slider going in --- make sure it goes low enough or really inside. If it stays in the zone and is too high....yikes
2. Low changeup --- people love to launch and pull. This is the same thing as a meatball
3. High and inside fastball --- this pitch can and will get people, but I try to make this pitch happen when I think they're sitting on breaking ball. as you've read before, people will sit on that pitch as it's the one you have to be prepared for

Also, maybe Sale just isn't your kind of pitcher, there's players for all of us that work well for some but not others

When facing right-hand batters, sliders in high, medium, and low. Mix in the 4 seam fastball in once their bat slows down half way from bottom of zone to middle of the zone and half way from top of zone to middle of zone. These halfway marks are better than true bottom or true top because a player is inclined to jam their analog stick to the top or to the bottom. Half way will produce groundouts up high and pop ups down low. Once they get that fastball down and taking it, start with 2 seamer in and out. Then the change, throw it below the zone completely or those halfway marks again. Slider and fastball is his go to though as seen below.

https://twitter.com/oldcomiskey/status/881236747820171265

Edit - I must also say, the art of pitching is getting them to swing at shit out of the zone. You can't get into a groove of always throwing strikes, you have to make the batter feel like they shouldn't swing at everything. Walks will haunt but with elite pitchers, don't be afraid of not giving in on those 3 ball counts.

When facing right-hand batters, sliders in high, medium, and low. Mix in the 4 seam fastball in once their bat slows down half way from bottom of zone to middle of the zone and half way from top of zone to middle of zone. These halfway marks are better than true bottom or true top because a player is inclined to jam their analog stick to the top or to the bottom. Half way will produce groundouts up high and pop ups down low. Once they get that fastball down and taking it, start with 2 seamer in and out. Then the change, throw it below the zone completely or those halfway marks again. Slider and fastball is his go to though as seen below.

Edit - I must also say, the art of pitching is getting them to swing at shit out of the zone. You can't get into a grove of always throwing strikes, you have to make the batter feel like they shouldn't swing at everything. Walks will haunt but with elite pitchers, don't be afraid of not giving in on those 3 ball counts.

Bolded is a realllllllly big thing
So many times I'd think "OMG if I didn't move my stick that's a home run"

Finally decided to just finish the useless rays collection and get it over with. Now I get to restart my game fifty times so it picks matt garza twice

What kind of pitches have been getting smashed?

These are the three most commonly smashed pitches for me, if you miss the location by just a bit or they sit on it (I can get predictable without realizing it)

1. Slider going in --- make sure it goes low enough or really inside. If it stays in the zone and is too high....yikes
2. Low changeup --- people love to launch and pull. This is the same thing as a meatball
3. High and inside fastball --- this pitch can and will get people, but I try to make this pitch happen when I think they're sitting on breaking ball. as you've read before, people will sit on that pitch as it's the one you have to be prepared for

Also, maybe Sale just isn't your kind of pitcher, there's players for all of us that work well for some but not others

Edit - I must also say, the art of pitching is getting them to swing at shit out of the zone. You can't get into a groove of always throwing strikes, you have to make the batter feel like they shouldn't swing at everything. Walks will haunt but with elite pitchers, don't be afraid of not giving in on those 3 ball counts.

Bolded is a realllllllly big thing
So many times I'd think "OMG if I didn't move my stick that's a home run"

Finally decided to just finish the useless rays collection and get it over with. Now I get to restart my game fifty times so it picks matt garza twice

I did learn early on about not pitching to the extreme tops and bottom of the zones, because I often find myself being the guy that gets a bit too aggressive with the stick when I see a pitching coming in a bit big or low. Also I'm pretty good about throwing a few pitches per at bat out of the zone, but as I've moved up in the rankings that seems to work less and less.

I use meter pitching, I have for years because it is for me the one I can most consistently stop perfectly and usually have a pitch go where I want. I have found with Sale, admittedly in a small sample size, that on fastballs that I aim inside out of the zone that if I miss stopping it on the yellow line by just a fraction turns into a pitch that gets grooved right down the middle. Seems to happen more with misses with Sale than any other of my starters which is just weird. I'm not totally ready to give up on him, but I think if I go through a few more outing where I give up 5+ runs with him I'll have to move on.

I just can't trust meter pitching to put it where I want, same with pulse.

The nice thing about analog is even if I miss my spot, I'll know where it's going. I've had many moments where I missed the spot and thought to myself "This might get crushed..." usually it does, lol

opened my 5th and final jumbo pack and it's a 81 AS Jhonny Peralta, GET FUCKED SDS

Gotta say, this card doesn't really look all that impressive now that you see the movement/control on the pitches

C8S3eVe.png

I just can't trust meter pitching to put it where I want, same with pulse.

The nice thing about analog is even if I miss my spot, I'll know where it's going. I've had many moments where I missed the spot and thought to myself "This might get crushed..." usually it does, lol

opened my 5th and final jumbo pack and it's a 81 AS Jhonny Peralta, GET FUCKED SDS

Gotta say, this card doesn't really look all that impressive now that you see the movement/control on the pitches

C8S3eVe.png

20 MPH difference on fastball and knuckle and the Per/9s are great. It will definitely be a thinking mans pitcher that will dominate in the right hands but I like my pitchers to be majority thinking mans with some mindless heat.

PS. My MVP lately after a very slow start has been AS Carlos Beltran. That powah!

Top Bottom