• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

dream

Terrible, terrible idea.
As much as I want to see Connor fight, NOT LIKE THIS!

Just let us keep the blue balls and wait 2 months.

This is such a high risk.. its crazy..

I don't even think it's risky. I think it's a virtual certainty that Money wins this 50-45.

Yaari

Seeing all the people picking Mendes though, imagine if Conor did somehow win this Mendes fight. The Aldo one will be even bigger, wow.

But yeah, wisful thinking. I'd put money on Mendes in this one too.

Sucks, because I'm loving the hype. Bleh.

Chesskid1

Banned
i remember a long time ago conor called mendes a midget and mendes seemed legitimately annoyed. (i imagine he was made fun of for being short his entire life, perhaps thats why he became a fighter)

and i thought when they fight, there will be some pretty good shit talking.

they need to a hold a press q&a with mendes/conor ASAP for conor can just keep calling mendes mini, midget, etc over and over and sell some tickets.

oh and yeah, conor gonna get destroyed.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
2TiMkxp.png

Yaari

i remember a long time ago conor called mendes a midget and mendes seemed legitimately annoyed. (i imagine he was made fun of for being short his entire life, perhaps thats why he became a fighter)

and i thought when they fight, there will be some pretty good shit talking.

they need to a hold a press q&a with mendes/conor ASAP for conor can just keep calling mendes mini, midget, etc over and over and sell some tickets.

oh and yeah, conor gonna get destroyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6HIZX3rfpI

Yeah, that's that one. I watched it last week. It was pretty funny haha.

Heel

Seeing all the people picking Mendes though, imagine if Conor did somehow win this Mendes fight. The Aldo one will be even bigger, wow.

But yeah, wisful thinking. I'd put money on Mendes in this one too.

Sucks, because I'm loving the hype. Bleh.

Conor beating Mendes would add nothing, IMO. Lightning is already in the bottle. If there's any fight you postpone, this is the one.

In before the power double. He won't even have to bend over.

Fitts

Lol at tacking on an interim belt to try and salvage ppv buys. Glad I'll be on a business trip the night of the fight and watching at whatever shit bar I find that's airing it.

Edit: should promote Robbie/Rory to main event.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Aldo showing that favela intelligence giving up millions of dollars. All he had to do was come out to the octagon, get hit once in the face and turtle up. Rematch a couple of months down the road for another huge payday.

smh, Dana and Lorenzo must be livid. There's gotta be more to this. It seems so odd. Possibly a bad cycle?

Aldo showing that favela intelligence giving up millions of dollars. All he had to do was come out to the octagon, get hit once in the face and turtle up. Rematch a couple of months down the road for another huge payday.

smh, Dana and Lorenzo must be livid. There's gotta be more to this. It seems so odd. Possibly a bad cycle?

Or the injury is actually as bad as they initially thought despite what the UFC docs said

Definitely a bad cycle. Next time he gonna be fighting for Reebok money. I wonder if Dana and Reebok have enough money to pay amended ro take a dive?

BadAss2961

What a fucking disaster...

How bad is Aldo hurt? Would've tried everything to postpone instead of letting Mendes get a piece of Conor. Everything is on the brink of ruin now. If i'm Dana, i'm paying Chad to take a dive.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
When Conor knocks that midget out you guys are going to eat so much crow.
Short notice. You can say the same thing if Conor gets grapplefucked but it'd be drowned out by claims of "protected from wrestlers" or "Aldo would've done that to him too". I'm fully expecting Chad to get Nancy Kerrigan'd in training and have to fight on one leg.

scabro

chad vs connor is a really good fight. very excite.

“There’s a few options, I think, but one local fight that’s down here would be the guy who just put out the documentary,” said Brown, referring to Dhafir Harris, otherwise known as “Dada5000.”

From Kimbo's coach. When do we get our official Bellator booking gigs, Heel?

-MD-

If it was a full camp I'd say Mendes would smoke Conor but it's a short notice.

This should be a great fight. Hopefully it is.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I think we can safely assume that whatever happens between Conor and Mendes it will be the worst possible outcome for Dana and the UFC.

This is the fifth time that Aldo pulls out of a PPV due to injury in his UFC tenure so I don't think anyone should find it too surprising. Passing up on a one in a lifetime payday though... that is.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
How long have they got to sell us wolf tickets for Mendes/McGregor? One week?

I expect to see MMA websites filled with "midget" comments quite quickly. Or maybe McGregor will just focus his attention on calling out Aldo and ignore Mendes completely.

I could see McGregor having a chance against Mendes, but said "chance" boils down to keeping distance, doing the running man like Carlos Condit, and essentially jabbing his way to a 50-45. If I were a betting man I'd go for Mendes by decision, but the variables involved in this fight make it a very interesting prospect.

Koch was expected to face Cub Swanson on March 3, 2011 at UFC Live: Sanchez vs. Kampmann.[15] However Swanson was forced out of the bout with an injury.[16]

Koch was expected to face Cub Swanson on July 2, 2011 at UFC 132.[18] However, Swanson was forced out of the bout with another injury.[19]

Koch was expected to face Dustin Poirier on February 4, 2012 at UFC 143.[21] However, Koch pulled out of the bout citing an injury and was replaced by Ricardo Lamas,[22] who was then replaced by Max Holloway due to injury as well.

Koch was expected to face José Aldo for the UFC Featherweight Championship on July 21, 2012, at UFC 149.[23] However, Aldo was forced out of the bout citing an injury and the bout was postponed.[24]

Koch was expected to face José Aldo on October 13, 2012 at UFC 153 UFC Featherweight Championship.[25] However, Koch was forced out of the bout with another injury and replaced by Frankie Edgar.[26]

Koch was expected to face Ramsey Nijem on July 25, 2015 at UFC on Fox 16.[32] However, Koch was forced from the bout with injury and replaced by promotional newcomer Andrew Holbrook.

Seems like it goes both ways for him.

Yaari

Chad Mendes feels this fight is personal because Conor McGregor has said he wants to rest his balls on Mendes' forehead.

(No joke.) Lol.

I'm surprised Frankie didn't get the title shot. He's done more than Mendes did after his recent loss to Aldo.

A part of me wants to see Mendes/McGregor but I feel like this is another Kimbo situation. When Kimbo originally was supposed to fight Ken Shamrock, Shamrock pulled out of the fight at the last minute. Kimbo got scorched by some random jobber...which could have possibly led to the end of Elite XC.

Mendes/Edgar are not good matchups for Connor. But then again, he hasn't really been tested with an elite wrestler in the UFC. He might surprise everyone.

dream

While nobody said so publicly, there was a lot of unhappiness from the UFC side because Aldo, who had complained publicly about money and treatment by UFC, was in the situation to make multiple times what he had made for any fight in his career. He was likely to earn more money from this fight than all the rest of his fights during his career combined. There had been underlying issues because Aldo complained about money, but also had the attitude as champion that his entire job was winning fights and nothing else. He had not learned English, which was important in getting over in UFC's key markets, and had been difficult to get to do media. Despite his excellence as a fighter, he and Jon Jones were probably the company's two best male fighters, he was one of the weakest drawing champions. This was still the case after six years of being clearly the best in his weight class. There was unhappiness because while his opponent was flying all over the country during the crucial period leading up to the fight doing media, before the injury he had refused to come to the U.S. early for the 6/30 Reebok launch in which the company had promised every top fighter to attend.

White noting that Aldo had pulled out of five fights was clearly said for a reason. The UFC had offered Aldo a substantial bonus, above what his contracted PPV percentage was going to be, for taking the fight while hurt, which would have likely made him one of the highest paid fighters for a single fight in company history. He was also promised in the event of a loss, that he would get an automatic rematch. The feeling was that Aldo would make millions, something he'd never come close to during his career nor could he do with any other opponent, and he was in a no-lose situation. If he lost, he wouldn't have to make excuses, because everyone would know the reason. The rematch, with the "real Aldo," would have done probably even bigger business, so he'd be getting the second huge payday. If he won, winning a fight that would be the biggest lighter weight fight in history while having a broken or bruised rib would cement the legacy of his career.

The fact it didn't happen tells you how serious the injury must have been, and/or how much not losing the title and his nearly ten year unbeaten streak means to him.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
The fact it didn't happen tells you how serious the injury must have been, and/or how much not losing the title and his nearly ten year unbeaten streak means to him.

Or the elephant in the room: A bad roid cycle.

Heel

UFC on FOX, July 25th.

Main Card: (FOX – 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m PT)
T.J. Dillashaw (11-2) vs. Renan Barao (33–2, 1NC)
Miesha Tate (16-5) vs. Jessica Eye (11-2,1 NC)
Edson Barboza (15-3) vs. Paul Felder (10-0)
Joe Lauzon (24-10) vs. Takanori Gomi (35-10, 1NC)

Preliminary Card: (FOX – 6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT)
Gian Villante (13-5) vs. Tom Lawlor (9-5, 1NC)
Jim Miller (24-6, 1NC) vs. Danny Castillo (17-8)
Kenny Robertson (15-3) vs. Ben Saunders (16-6-2)
Eddie Wineland (21-10-1) vs. Bryan Caraway (19-7)

Preliminary Card: (Fight Pass – 4:15 p.m. ET/1:15 p.m. PT)
Daron Cruickshank (16-6, 1NC) vs. James Krause (21-7)
Ramsey Nijem (9-5) vs. Andrew Holbrook (9-0)
Jessamyn Duke (3-2, 1NC) vs. Elizabeth Phillips (4-3)
Zak Cummings (17-4) vs. Antonio Braga Neto (9-2, 1NC)

7d606fd5a1dc0bad537138b0f5d901af.jpg

Top Bottom