• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

While nobody said so publicly, there was a lot of unhappiness from the UFC side because Aldo, who had complained publicly about money and treatment by UFC, was in the situation to make multiple times what he had made for any fight in his career. He was likely to earn more money from this fight than all the rest of his fights during his career combined. There had been underlying issues because Aldo complained about money, but also had the attitude as champion that his entire job was winning fights and nothing else. He had not learned English, which was important in getting over in UFC's key markets, and had been difficult to get to do media. Despite his excellence as a fighter, he and Jon Jones were probably the company's two best male fighters, he was one of the weakest drawing champions. This was still the case after six years of being clearly the best in his weight class. There was unhappiness because while his opponent was flying all over the country during the crucial period leading up to the fight doing media, before the injury he had refused to come to the U.S. early for the 6/30 Reebok launch in which the company had promised every top fighter to attend.

White noting that Aldo had pulled out of five fights was clearly said for a reason. The UFC had offered Aldo a substantial bonus, above what his contracted PPV percentage was going to be, for taking the fight while hurt, which would have likely made him one of the highest paid fighters for a single fight in company history. He was also promised in the event of a loss, that he would get an automatic rematch. The feeling was that Aldo would make millions, something he'd never come close to during his career nor could he do with any other opponent, and he was in a no-lose situation. If he lost, he wouldn't have to make excuses, because everyone would know the reason. The rematch, with the "real Aldo," would have done probably even bigger business, so he'd be getting the second huge payday. If he won, winning a fight that would be the biggest lighter weight fight in history while having a broken or bruised rib would cement the legacy of his career.

The fact it didn't happen tells you how serious the injury must have been, and/or how much not losing the title and his nearly ten year unbeaten streak means to him.

A+ post sir.

UFC on FOX, July 25th.

7d606fd5a1dc0bad537138b0f5d901af.jpg
Wow that's a great card from top to bottom. Almost every single matchup has at least one fighter I enjoy watching.

dream

Wow that's a great card from top to bottom. Every single matchup has at least one fighter I enjoy watching.

You don't really enjoy watching them, Tim. You just recognize some of their names. That's the big lie that Dana has perpetrated on us. We are so inundated with shit cards stocked with shit fighters that we have mistaken name recognition for card quality.

FUME5

You don't really enjoy watching them, Tim. You just recognize some of their names. That's the big lie that Dana has perpetrated on us. We are so inundated with shit cards stocked with shit fighters that we have mistaken name recognition for card quality.

Shit, you got me.

Still interested in the TJ vs Barao rematch, you know, if he makes weight.

Well, I suppose there is a bit of truth to that but honestly I really do enjoy watching these fighters (bolded) ..

Main Card: (FOX – 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m PT)
T.J. Dillashaw (11-2) vs. Renan Barao (33–2, 1NC)
Miesha Tate (16-5) vs. Jessica Eye (11-2,1 NC)
Edson Barboza (15-3) vs. Paul Felder (10-0)
Joe Lauzon (24-10) vs. Takanori Gomi (35-10, 1NC)

Preliminary Card: (FOX – 6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT)
Gian Villante (13-5) vs. Tom Lawlor (9-5, 1NC)
Jim Miller (24-6, 1NC) vs. Danny Castillo (17-8)
Kenny Robertson (15-3) vs. Ben Saunders (16-6-2)
Eddie Wineland (21-10-1) vs. Bryan Caraway (19-7)

Preliminary Card: (Fight Pass – 4:15 p.m. ET/1:15 p.m. PT)
Daron Cruickshank (16-6, 1NC) vs. James Krause (21-7)
Ramsey Nijem (9-5) vs. Andrew Holbrook (9-0)
Jessamyn Duke (3-2, 1NC) vs. Elizabeth Phillips (4-3)
Zak Cummings (17-4) vs. Antonio Braga Neto (9-2, 1NC)

Since I'm feeling bad about not being cynical enough, I will make this concession - I expect either Dillashaw or Barao to be 'injured' and their fight is postponed to co-main a ppv.

dream

I do admit to liking Edson Barboza fights because something about a Next Big Thing who has no chin is fascinating to me.

brentech

While nobody said so publicly, there was a lot of unhappiness from the UFC side because Aldo, who had complained publicly about money and treatment by UFC, was in the situation to make multiple times what he had made for any fight in his career. He was likely to earn more money from this fight than all the rest of his fights during his career combined. There had been underlying issues because Aldo complained about money, but also had the attitude as champion that his entire job was winning fights and nothing else. He had not learned English, which was important in getting over in UFC's key markets, and had been difficult to get to do media. Despite his excellence as a fighter, he and Jon Jones were probably the company's two best male fighters, he was one of the weakest drawing champions. This was still the case after six years of being clearly the best in his weight class. There was unhappiness because while his opponent was flying all over the country during the crucial period leading up to the fight doing media, before the injury he had refused to come to the U.S. early for the 6/30 Reebok launch in which the company had promised every top fighter to attend.

White noting that Aldo had pulled out of five fights was clearly said for a reason. The UFC had offered Aldo a substantial bonus, above what his contracted PPV percentage was going to be, for taking the fight while hurt, which would have likely made him one of the highest paid fighters for a single fight in company history. He was also promised in the event of a loss, that he would get an automatic rematch. The feeling was that Aldo would make millions, something he'd never come close to during his career nor could he do with any other opponent, and he was in a no-lose situation. If he lost, he wouldn't have to make excuses, because everyone would know the reason. The rematch, with the "real Aldo," would have done probably even bigger business, so he'd be getting the second huge payday. If he won, winning a fight that would be the biggest lighter weight fight in history while having a broken or bruised rib would cement the legacy of his career.

The fact it didn't happen tells you how serious the injury must have been, and/or how much not losing the title and his nearly ten year unbeaten streak means to him.

goodjob.gif

Lets all go where the real action is....American Ninja Warrior.
I haven't watched the whole episode from this week, only through the 3rd competitor,
the 56 year old that failed on the final obstacle after looking so strong through the rest of the course. Such a bummer to lose to the wall.

dream

goodjob.gif

Lets all go where the real action is....American Ninja Warrior.
I haven't watched the whole episode from this week, only through the 3rd competitor,
the 56 year old that failed on the final obstacle after looking so strong through the rest of the course. Such a bummer to lose to the wall.

That 56 year old gentlemen's upper body strength was unreal. I too was a little heartbroken when he couldn't conquer the wall.

We should also watch Battle Bots. A friend of mine tipped me off to this piece of brilliance, and there's far more strategy there than there is in human cockfighting.

Heel

I dunno, dream. There's some genuinely good match-ups to be had on that card, namely Creepy Joe vs. Fireball Kid. May the brain cotton degenerate for our entertainment.

That 56 year old gentlemen's upper body strength was unreal. I too was a little heartbroken when he couldn't conquer the wall.

We should also watch Battle Bots. A friend of mine tipped me off to this piece of brilliance, and there's far more strategy there than there is in human cockfighting.
I wonder if Kenny's snappy banter on that show is all haircut based like on UFC Tonight and Fight Night broadcasts.

Chesskid1

Banned
can someone explain the articles dream has been posting in here? is he an mma journalist? i've enjoyed reading them for as long as i can remember and i tried googling the text but no hits, and it seems kinda weird just to write all that just for mmagaf.

can someone explain the articles dream has been posting in here? is he an mma journalist? i've enjoyed reading them for as long as i can remember and i tried googling the text but no hits, and it seems kinda weird just to write all that just for mmagaf.
Ssshhhhhhh. It's also a possibility my dad crossed paths with Big Dave. Went to same high school and university.

dream

Brehs an England player just scored against their own team I n the final minute and just knocked England from the World Cup.

I'm not even sure why so many people in the FIFA thread are being so sympathetic. That was such a colossal fuckup on a completely unnecessary play. I think I may go to the third place match on Saturday just to see if England can top that display of incompetence.

scabro

if friend dream had say, a newsletter, id subscribe to it

Razdek

Banned
How the hell can Aldo still talk shit when he pulled out and now saying money doesn't mean a lot when he's been complaining the entire time. Go back to the favela, you're drunk.

Chesskid1

Banned
if friend dream had say, a newsletter, id subscribe to it

agreed.

http://fightland.vice.com/author/jack-slack

this is the only mma journalist i read regularly because he is pretty damn good at breaking down fights. for example his cain vs werdum article is excellent and helped me understand why cain stopped trying to clinch vs werdum. i mention it because some of dream's long articles are just as good imo and i'm sure i miss some of his article posts buried in mmagaf. (thus my question previously)

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I dunno, dream. There's some genuinely good match-ups to be had on that card, namely Creepy Joe vs. Fireball Kid. May the brain cotton degenerate for our entertainment.
I greatly look forward to that scrap. This fight night is deeper than many recent ppvs.

Kogepan

How the hell can Aldo still talk shit when he pulled out and now saying money doesn't mean a lot when he's been complaining the entire time. Go back to the favela, you're drunk.

Nova Uniao are shady as shit. Look at the how many fights Aldo/Barao have pulled out of last minute. Only time they can be sure of making it to the cage is if the fight is in Brazil. Probably worried that he couldnt pass the drug tests, otherwise he could have taken a dive for the $$$.

agreed.

http://fightland.vice.com/author/jack-slack

this is the only mma journalist i read regularly because he is pretty damn good at breaking down fights. for example his cain vs werdum article is excellent and helped me understand why cain stopped trying to clinch vs werdum. i mention it because some of dream's long articles are just as good imo and i'm sure i miss some of his article posts buried in mmagaf. (thus my question previously)

Since all the oblique hints don't seem to be doing it for you: Dave Meltzer. He's the og mma reporter. He also covers rasslin' where his coverage is infinitely more entertaining than the product itself.

Holy shit at Aldo's x-rays. UFC doctors said it wasn't broken and they were gonna clear him?! Are you fucking kid me? Just a 'sprain'?! Man you can't trust anything from the UFC. They're so fucking shady.

Interim belt is a joke.

I'm torn between wanting to watch Chad wrestlefuck tens of millions of dollars from the UFC and seeing Dana's face as he has to strap the belt on him or seeing McGregor win and watching the sport explode further riding on the back of McGregor.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I love a good clusterfuck, especially if it makes Dana angry. Chad isn't losing unless he takes a dive.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
So after Mendes wins, which can does the UFC feed to Conor to get him another shot at Aldo?

Shot at Aldo? You got that backwards playboy. It's more like how many considerably smaller brain damaged men will Josie have to knock before earning a shot at Conor. If he even wants it that is.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Shot at Aldo? You got that backwards playboy. It's more like how many considerably smaller brain damaged men will Josie have to knock before earning a shot at Conor. If he even wants it that is.

Daniel Cormier is the LHW Champ. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

scabro

Holy shit at Aldo's x-rays. UFC doctors said it wasn't broken and they were gonna clear him?! Are you fucking kid me? Just a 'sprain'?! Man you can't trust anything from the UFC. They're so fucking shady.
just saw that, Dana really has no shame lol.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
It's an American doctor too so no favela tactics unless the x-rays are not Aldo's. Dana and co. are scummier and we all saw that Aldo weight cut vid, so I'm giving Aldo the benefit of the doubt here.

Sinead O'Connor is SINGING CONOR TO THE RING
FIGHT THE REAL ENEMY

it's been 7 hours and 15 days
since you took the fight away

i train all night and joe rogan podcast by day
since you took the fight away

since you been gone
i can do whatever i want
i can fight whoever i choose

i can fight a midget in a steel cage octagon
but nothing can distract from my ripped off tattoos

Fitts

Watched the UFC Embedded video because I don't know why. Chad claimed at the beginning that Conor won't be able to get into his head. He then proceeds to discuss how Conor made the fight personal and grants acknowledgement to every insult during the conference call snippets.

...he's already in your head, bro.

TheChits

Watched the UFC Embedded video because I don't know why. Chad claimed at the beginning that Conor won't be able to get into his head. He then proceeds to discuss how Conor made the fight personal and grants acknowledgement to every insult during the conference call snippets.

...he's already in your head, bro.

Shhhh

Top Bottom