• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Heel

I had no idea they actually made Weidman vs. Munoz. Great fight and should definitely be for #1 contender.

I've got Weidman.

I refuse to watch Anderson fight at MW after the Sonnen fight. Munoz? Bisping?....please. He needs to do a super fight after Sonnen. Munoz vs Silva screams boring and a waste of $$$

Cain doesn't deserve a shot already. He needs a good 2 more wins IMO. I really hope they just let Overeem back in. I have no interest in seeing a 60 second KO that I have to pay $60 for.

I would like Cain to face another striker before he faces JDS again. Maybe Hunt or Carwin (wrestler with heavy hands).

Heel

At least there's plenty of potential fights to be made. No one knows who the hell to push as #1 contender in most of the other divisions.

It's just hard to stomach Frank Mir as a Top Fiver, Nog at 6 and Struve at 10.

JDS does have some decent match ups on the horizon though. Cain, Hunt, Reem, maybe Bones.

TheNatural

My Member!
Also I don't know why the HW division gets so much flack considering how deep it is in at least there's different tiers of fighters with something to offer.

You have the top tier of young guys like JDS, Cain, and Cormier up there going to battle each other. You have a couple vets that changed their game (or physique) to stay competitive and could create interesting matchups (Overeem and Werdum.) You have the basically washed up name vets who will be gatekeepers from now on (Mir, Big Foot, Barnett.) Then you have about a dozen one trick ponies who have like one attribute they do well (or horrible) to create interesting matchups (Big Foot, Carwin, Struve, Hunt, Russow, Browne, Nelson, others.)

The fact I can name about 15 guys in the division off the top of my head says something about it. The other divisions, its mostly trying to find someone who hasn't been killed by the champ yet. Then looking at the bottom half of the top 10 in the division finding guys you don't buy as being any better than top 30 on a given night. I'm supposed to buy guys like Boetsch, Okami, Stann, Shields, Kampmann, Miller, Guida, etc? Guys who have had chance after chance and don't ever break out of their own ceiling? And usually don't even do anything interesting or create a fun fight?

I rather watch a top 15 Huntu-Nelson punchfest or a Browne-Carwin gastank laugher than than seeing those guys quite frankly.

Heel

Yet you hate the great Fedor. Why, friend? He's a human highlight reel and the definition of excitement.

In before loss highlights.

DKehoe

Yet you hate the great Fedor. Why, friend? He's a human highlight reel and the definition of excitement.

In before loss highlights.

image.php

TheNatural

My Member!
We have received word from a source that we will remain anonymous that Dana White will annnounce that Cain Velasquez will coach off against Junior Dos Santos next season on UFC Live 2.

It would make sense as Cain and Junior are coming off huge wins, Junior Dos Santos defending his title against Frank Mir, and Cain getting back on track by beating a motivated Antonio Silva.

Expect Season 2 of UFC Live to start filming LIVE in September, with the coaches facing off sometime in November, or late December.

FUCK. WHY?

DKehoe

We have received word from a source that we will remain anonymous that Dana White will annnounce that Cain Velasquez will coach off against Junior Dos Santos next season on UFC Live 2.

It would make sense as Cain and Junior are coming off huge wins, Junior Dos Santos defending his title against Frank Mir, and Cain getting back on track by beating a motivated Antonio Silva.

Expect Season 2 of UFC Live to start filming LIVE in September, with the coaches facing off sometime in November, or late December.

FUCK. WHY?

Where are you getting this from?

Heel

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't know why you're still complaining about this. The UFC has main events booked through UFC 151 in September. It was never going to happen sooner than 5 or 6 months.

TheNatural

My Member!
I don't know why you're still complaining about this. The UFC has main events booked through UFC 151 in September. It was never going to happen sooner than 5 or 6 months.

It's their funeral. They could have slapped it on UFC 150 and made Edgar-Benderson the co main event since no one pays to watch Edgar fight anyway, and maybe got a few more eyes on Benderson than it's inevitable 200-300K buyrate death.

But we're in the saturation age. Wouldn't be surprised if TUF becomes a weekly PPV show at this rate.

TheNatural

My Member!

So glad Dana half promised (AKA full promised) him the next fight in the presser. Not like JDS couldn't have fought a half a dozen other guys that were at least as good as Mir during that time.

Hell they could have saved the Brazil PPV if they could have somehow found a way to give JDS a quick turnaround and face Werdum. I mean, they could have kept Werdum vs. TBA as the matchup up until about 2 days beforehand since a black silhouette has as much drawing power as Mike Russow.

Heel

I think the UFC having to one day cut back on their roster size and have guys fight every 2-3 months would be an absolute blessing. A dark age would force them to have quality over quantity.

Strikeforce should be their farm league as originally rumored. Guys getting called up to the big leagues is captivating MMA. People are intersted to see how Lombard, Cormier, Gil, Alvarez etc. will fare in the Ultimate.

TheNatural

My Member!
I think the UFC having to one day cut back on their roster size and have guys fight every 2-3 months would be an absolute blessing. A dark age would force them to have quality over quantity.

It's not about roster size, it's about what has suddenly become an acceptable PPV main event for them. They could have guys fight more, but they think its more important to put lightweight and bantamweight title main events together to have some of the worst buyrates of the year.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's their funeral. They could have slapped it on UFC 150 and made Edgar-Benderson the co main event since no one pays to watch Edgar fight anyway, and maybe got a few more eyes on Benderson than it's inevitable 200-300K buyrate death.

But we're in the saturation age. Wouldn't be surprised if TUF becomes a weekly PPV show at this rate.

This is Uncle Dana's world. We only live in it. Remember that, Natch.

Strikeforce should be their farm league as originally rumored. Guys getting called up to the big leagues is captivating MMA. People are intersted to see how Lombard, Cormier, Gil, Alvarez etc. will fare in the Ultimate.

Speak for yourself. We all know Gil is a can, brah.

Heel

It's not about roster size, it's about what has suddenly become an acceptable PPV main event for them. They could have guys fight more, but they think its more important to put lightweight and bantamweight title main events together to have some of the worst buyrates of the year.

But smaller roster + less events = stacked cards, no?

They have so many events because their roster is huge and they have to give these guys fights. There aren't enough main eventers to carry these bums.

TheNatural

My Member!
But smaller roster + less events = stacked cards, no?

They have so many events because their roster is huge and they have to give these guys fights. There aren't enough main eventers to carry these bums.

You're doing it backwards. Their roster expanded because of their guaranteed deals with FOX mang. They didn't just one day say "oh shit we have too many rasslers lets make Nitro 3 hours!"

Oops. Freudian slip.

TheNatural

My Member!
This is Uncle Dana's world. We only live in it. Remember that, Natch.

Maybe it will become FOX's world after another horribad outing. Stann will bomb so hard he'll be the catalyst to change everything.

Heel

0M3M9.gif

You're doing it backwards. Their roster expanded because of their guaranteed deals with FOX mang.

The roster and number of events has been ballooning for years now. They've finally reached the point where the viewing public can no longer keep track of it all, and thus have begun to stop caring. They need to scale back, not introduce leagues in other countries and have two shows in one night like wildeyed Uncle Dana is envisioning.

TheNatural

My Member!
0M3M9.gif

The roster and number of events has been ballooning for years now. They've finally reached the point where the viewing public can no longer keep track of it all, and thus have begun to stop caring. They need to scale back, not introduce leagues in other countries and have two shows in one night like wildeyed Uncle Dana is envisioning.

It's been ballooning but it doesn't change the fact that they replaced the quality of fighter on the prelims. They're hiring no name unheard of guys to fill Facebook and Fuel cards because they have so many spots to fill.

That's the point. No one is putting a gun to Zuffa's head saying "lightweight title? It MUST be a main event!" "Wanderlei Silva in Brazil? It MUST be a main event!"

The only thing that has changed is the attitude that once some guy, any guy, or some title is now on the line is must be planted in a main event. For such a "deep" big roster, it's weird that practically every card sucks after about two fights on each.

They refuse to let guys naturally drop down the card as their skills or draw diminish. The blood and brain capacity of Wanderlei Silva must be spilled in a main event. No matter how many guys are on the roster, Uncle Dana refuses to change that philosophy.

ShaneB

Stupid fucking heavyweights, stupid TUF. I hope they get hurt and they come up with more interim bullshit.
Get rid of all of them!

Woo!

And yes, they suck at marketing full cards and ME's.

Heel

It's been ballooning but it doesn't change the fact that they replaced the quality of fighter on the prelims. They're hiring no name unheard of guys to fill Facebook and Fuel cards because they have so many spots to fill.

That's the point. No one is putting a gun to Zuffa's head saying "lightweight title? It MUST be a main event!" "Wanderlei Silva in Brazil? It MUST be a main event!"

The only thing that has changed is the attitude that once some guy, any guy, or some title is now on the line is must be planted in a main event. For such a "deep" big roster, it's weird that practically every card sucks after about two fights on each.

They refuse to let guys naturally drop down the card as their skills or draw diminish. The blood and brain capacity of Wanderlei Silva must be spilled in a main event. No matter how many guys are on the roster, Uncle Dana refuses to change that philosophy.

We are in agreement, friend.

They want to have more events, so they have more fighters, and thus have spread the known fighters and main eventers way too thin. That's why we have Wanderlei Silva carrying a card full of contracted bums in 2012. UFC has gotten too greedy for their own good and the product is watered down.

Cut the fat and stack the cards.

TheNatural

My Member!
We are in agreement, friend.

They want to have more events, so they have more fighters, and thus have spread the known fighters and main eventers way too thin. That's why we have Wanderlei Silva carrying a card full of contracted bums in 2012. UFC has gotten too greedy for their own good and the product is watered down.

Cut the fat and stack the cards.

It's not going to happen anytime soon, unless Stann saves us all by making the FOX card bomb so utterly bad that FOX doesn't want anything to do with MMA anymore.

Even then, FOX probably still likes the insular MMA fanbase buying Fuel TV subscriptions, and it probably still does well by FX standards, so chances are it would never be axed completely. Hopefully a 50% cutback of FOX/FX cards next year or something.

Top Bottom