• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moé/Lolicon

Status
Not open for further replies.
hteng said:
the industry will kill itself if this trend continues, it seems the quality stuff are only found on Theatricals releases nowadays (girl who leapt through time,summer wars, rebuild of eva, ponyo...etc). I've washed my hands off, i still read the occassional manga (black lagoon, berserk, five star stories, battle angel, blade of the immortal...etc slightly mature stuff).

I'm kinda glad. Less figures to buy.. Although I am taking a like towards Sheryl Nome. So far one released figure and 2 coming out!

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Dabookerman said:
That's right. The entire population gathered together, and helped develop this game guys.

Also, from what I've heard, rape isn't a huge problem. Groping is though.
They have passed some anti-groping laws recently. Also some of the trains also have women only sections.

I guess I'm trying to make a correlation to minimum age in places in US (many Southern States/rural areas) and certain prefectures in Japan, and then find the reason for it. End result trying to find out why lolicon is so accepted.

Dammit typing with one hand sucks.
Dabookerman said:
I went on the women only carriage.
wat

The Frankman said:
I guess I'm trying to make a correlation to minimum age in places in US (many Southern States/rural areas) and certain prefectures in Japan, and then find the reason for it. End result trying to find out why lolicon is so accepted.

Popularity doesn't really mean acceptance. Considering that Otaku's don't really make up the vast majority of the japanese population. It's just a subset of loner's infatuation with young innocent maiden's. Plus they love spending money. Hence the popularity in anime. You release a figure or pillow of your favourite 12 year old fraulein, it will sell to the intended audience. For big money.

moeeee.gif

tokkun

The Frankman said:

Didn't realize Pete Townshend posted on GAF.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dabookerman said:
Popularity doesn't really mean acceptance. Considering that Otaku's don't really make up the vast majority of the japanese population. It's just a subset of loner's infatuation with young innocent maiden's. Plus they love spending money. Hence the popularity in anime. You release a figure or pillow of your favourite 12 year old fraulein, it will sell to the intended audience. For big money.

moeeee.gif

Japansmessedup.jpg

hteng

Banned
eggandI said:
This was released stateside?

Also, BoTI is awesome. My fav manga.

there were a few english issues back then i think but it's already out of print, I read the Taiwan prints, it's only up to volume 12 (took the guy 20 fucking years), there are alot of other materials like the FFS Designs books, Knights Flag, which are pretty detail designs and writings on the universe, though they are never translated.

you can find scans online easily, the comic books are extremely difficult to find, but if you want to get into it you can try this site http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/

i think i should maybe start a thread on introducing the manga.. hmm..

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
hteng said:
the industry will kill itself if this trend continues, it seems the quality stuff are only found on Theatricals releases nowadays (girl who leapt through time,summer wars, rebuild of eva, ponyo...etc). I've washed my hands off, i still read the occassional manga (black lagoon, berserk, five star stories, battle angel, blade of the immortal...etc slightly mature stuff).
What you are interested in and what sells aren't necessarily the same thing.

Dabookerman said:
That's right. The entire population gathered together, and helped develop this game guys.

Also, from what I've heard, rape isn't a huge problem. Groping is though.
Wasn't that the point I was trying to make? I can't tell if fun is being made online :lol

I don't think that there's a specific rhyme or reason why lolicon stuff sells. I mean, we could presume that the fact that many asian women tend to look rather young in the first place and retain that look well into their 30s might play a part, but this pretty much just speculation.

Slavik81

You better not be hatin' on Lucky Star.

Geneijin said:
You only have to look for animes targeted at girls, or in the Shoujo genre, to see the apparent differences like in Kyou Kara Maou, Saiunkoki Monogatari, Ouran High School Host Club, Aishiteru Ze Baby, Full Moon Wo Sagashite, Nana and Shugo Chara.

There's just sadly that many aimed at trying to appeal to the moe-centric crowd. While I'll watch some, the balance between them and other genres is pretty awful lately.
I haven't seen any of those except Ouran High, but it's enough for me to question your entire post.

Did you not watch the same show I did? Its male characters followed roughly the same conventions that have been criticized here. There was, in fact, a character that looked like they were in elementary school (though they were an 18-year-old highschool student).

Admittedly, because the entire show was about a group that tries to appeal to women, it kind of fits it.

Novid

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
What you are interested in and what sells aren't necessarily the same thing.

Wasn't that the point I was trying to make? I can't tell if fun is being made online :lol

I don't think that there's a specific rhyme or reason why lolicon stuff sells. I mean, we could presume that the fact that many asian women tend to look rather young in the first place and retain that look well into their 30s might play a part, but this pretty much just speculation.

Lets use this in a bit of an American context (not as close but still)... You seen the TLC and We Reality series dealing with Beauty Pageants right? Your speculation has nothing to do with asian females long younger to 30ish. UH NO. in both cases - its about "wish fulfillment" in the "Soul Society" i was talking about several posts before.

hteng

Banned
Novid said:
Now guess what, that link hteng posted - went to the main page and that sent me to this:

http://www.generationmechjournal.com/2010/01/13/anime-2010-and-beyond-in-reverse/

Same stuff we talking about (but the post is originally from Toonzone - to be fair is the best post in a LONG, LONG, LONG ASS TIME from that site and its from Karl Olsen too and hes a bit of a loose cannon... in the head...)

i think people will grow out of it eventually, the customer base will shrink until there's little or no demand left for that sort of stuff, even worse when that stuff is getting expensive as we go.

wonder if any of those otakus ever looked back and regret.. i sure do.. when i look at my collection of Oh my goddess mangas (i stopped at volume 20ish) and VHS.

hteng said:
i think people will grow out of it eventually, the customer base will shrink until there's little or no demand left for that sort of stuff, even worse when that stuff is getting expensive as we go.

wonder if any of those otakus ever looked back and regret.. i sure do.. when i look at my collection of Oh my goddess mangas (i stopped at volume 20ish) and VHS.

Not me.

I have a full library of rare and expensive anime, almost all of it from the 80's and early 90's.

I still love that stuff. All the crap that I experimented with I either sold off for whatever I could get for it or simply gave away(The Love Hinas, Haruhis, Excel Sagas and shit like that).

Though, I've never been able to give away Nurse Nanako. What a piece of shit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Novid said:
Lets use this in a bit of an American context (not as close but still)... You seen the TLC and We Reality series dealing with Beauty Pageants right? Your speculation has nothing to do with asian females long younger to 30ish. UH NO. in both cases - its about "wish fulfillment" in the "Soul Society" i was talking about several posts before.
Um, what?

Geneijin

Slavik81 said:
I haven't seen any of those except Ouran High, but it's enough for me to question your entire post.

Did you not watch the same show I did? Its male characters followed roughly the same conventions that have been criticized here. There was, in fact, a character that looked like they were in elementary school (though they were an 18-year-old highschool student).

Admittedly, because the entire show was about a group that tries to appeal to women, it kind of fits it.

When mrklaw asked if we might have been misunderstanding the target audience between loli fans and middle school girls because of maybe a difference in culture, I listed animes targeted at girls instead or under the Shoujo genre (easier) to illustrate it's highly unlikely.

I assumed the loli fans we're talking about here are JPN males ages 18-35 (and above) so I wanted to make a point to mrklaw that many of these loli characters are indeed targeted at a male audience if one were to watch something like Fushigi Yuugi or Ultra Maniac as reference material. I could have mentioned a typical Harem or romantic comedy as a contrast too, but I didn't want to out one in particular.

And I guess you can make a case regarding Honey in Ouran (who you're referring to), but I'll make no attempts in claiming I know what anime JPN girls like nor do I think Honey's character was unnecessary either.

You could make a much stronger case with Aishiteru Ze Baby and Shugo Chara though, but my answer would only be I just don't see it. There are people who'll get their jollies off anything.

Lain said:
I don't understand the hate for moe/loli in general.
An anime with moe or loli characters can still be good and/or entertaining.
An anime without them can still be shit.
It's like people are against the simple idea of little girls in their anime to begin with, which I find silly.

Maybe it is just that I watch what I find to be fun and I don't really care if it features little girls or giant robots, silly comedies or deep dramas, so I don't have too much of a problem with the output in anime today.

I totally agree. I'm saddened by people who say they like anime but then limit the genres to only a few it's like saying you like games but only play driving ones. I've been watching since the 90's and I would hope that my tolerance level for show increases instead of becoming jaded and bitter. People seriously have nostalgia googles on because I bet a large portion of the early stuff was filled with violence and fanservice of a different kind (lol mature!).

Moe shows or things that 'look moe' is such a meaningless word to me, it only seems to to be used by people to completely dismiss shows based on a cutesy aesthetic. I don't believe there are 'moe shows' K-On, Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh are essentially comedies. Weither you find them funny is subjective based on yours sense of humor.

As others have already mentioned there's a multitude of problems; scifi/action cost alot to produce and aren't profitable, with torrents and fansubbing it's hurting the industry, expensive dvd releases and how american companies killed themselves.

eggandI

Banned
Just because you refuse to believe old ass Japanese men are getting their stiffies pleased by those borderline retarded little girls you find hilarious doesn't make it any less true.

Of course shows back then were filled with a little fan service every now and then. But it wasn't the focus of the show, unless it was a hentai/ecchi title. Shows these days have made a complete 180. Making characters specifically for the lonely otaku who make up most of the fanbase. There was a lot more variety just back a couple of years. You don't even have to go all the way back to the 90s. The early 2000s were filled with a lot of varied and awesome shows.

hteng said:

I don't know it's looking pretty bad. Those DVD sales show now sign of slowing down. And season after season all I see is more of the same shit. I can't see the industry making any big changes any time soon.

eggandI said:
Just because you refuse to believe old ass Japanese men are getting their stiffies pleased by those borderline retarded little girls you find hilarious doesn't make it any less true.
rule 34

Of course shows back then were filled with a little fan service every now and then. But it wasn't the focus of the show, unless it was a hentai/ecchi title. Shows these days have made a complete 180. Making characters specifically for the lonely otaku who make up most of the fanbase. There was a lot more variety just back a couple of years. You don't even have to go all the way back to the 90s. The early 2000s were filled with a lot of varied and awesome shows.
I'm more willing to believe that robot/tokusatsu shows were awesome to little/teenage boys, now it's naruto/bleach/one piece. And some of the more racy/extreme stuff (ninja scroll/demon city shinjuku) appealed to comic nerds/otaku (and teenage boys). There was definitely that underground 'omg these aren't cartoons!? it's violent and has tits from japan!' appeal back then that alot of mediocre stuff gets a free pass. There's probably a decent list of shows in the past 5 years (winter anime thread has some) but like everything else majority of the content is bad.

Lain

selig said:
i found elfen lied interesting, but higurashi is totally nogo. i hate it when older people let themselves fool by stupid, loli-looking girls. it also may be due to the fact that there´s almost no male lead character anymore that´s not fooled or stupid in a way. RideBack would have been much better if the girl´s brother was the main character. And just yesterday I thought that So Ra to wo no (or whatever) would work much better with a boy than a girl. But well, loli sells :/

You think that there is almost no male lead character anymore that's not fooled or stupid in a way, and think RideBack would have been better if Rin's brother was the lead?
That brainless idiot? It would have sucked with him as a lead.
Rin's brother was an idiot in the anime and an even bigger one in the manga.

eggandI said:

I remember seeing quite an elderly guy coming out of the adult section of an anime store once, in Japan. That was quite interesting.

selig

Banned
Lain said:
You think that there is almost no male lead character anymore that's not fooled or stupid in a way, and think RideBack would have been better if Rin's brother was the lead?
That brainless idiot? It would have sucked with him as a lead.
Rin's brother was an idiot in the anime and an even bigger one in the manga.

you just proofed what I said. Males in modern manga/anime are always stupid (with exceptions, of course). I´d really love to see modern anime where the lead is a smart guy, and where there´s stupid, weak girls. Feminism has killed most anime (and Moe).

PS: At least, Rin´s brother actually liked the Ridebacks from the beginning.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
selig said:
you just proofed what I said. Males in modern manga/anime are always stupid (with exceptions, of course). I´d really love to see modern anime where the lead is a smart guy, and where there´s stupid, weak girls. Feminism has killed most anime (and Moe).
:lol :lol :lol

eggandI

Banned
selig said:

PS: At least, Rin´s brother actually liked the Ridebacks from the beginning.

Um yeah I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree. Most of these (recent) female characters fall into those -"dere" archetypes. Tsudenre, yandere, etc. What is similar across all the archetypes? deep down they are all sweet girls who fall for the idiotic, no back bone male lead. (on a side note, I wonder who these male leads are supposed to be representing/projecting? HMMMM.)

Take the tsundere type of character. She's tough on the outside. Borderline psychopath who abuses and traumatizes the loser lead (an abuse he is ALWAYS willing to take, because he is a no good loser) but still loves him at the end of the day. If anything, females characters have gone way downhill in the past decade. Not saying "strong" females characters were prevalent before, but I think there was more to them than just being that perfect wife for the average otaku.

This is talked about in one of the articles in the OP.
Even when moe girls are "competent," like 10-year-old cook/laundrywoman/ dishwasher Sasami in Tenchi Muyo!, these little girls represent house and home and the most stereotypical view of womanhood—little mothers who cook and clean and aren't as scary as real adult women

eggandI said:
Um yeah I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree. Most of these (recent) female characters fall into those -"dere" archetypes. Tsudenre, yandere, etc. What is similar across all the archetypes? deep down they are all sweet girls who fall for the idiotic, no back bone male lead. (on a side note, I wonder who these male leads are supposed to be representing/projecting? HMMMM.)

Take the tsundere type of character. She's tough on the outside. Borderline psychopath who abuses and traumatizes the loser lead (an abuse he is ALWAYS willing to take, because he is a no good loser) but still loves him at the end of the day. If anything, females characters have gone way downhill in the past decade. Not saying "strong" females characters were prevalent before, but I think there was more to them than just being that perfect wife for the average otaku.

Love Hina right. Love that. Although my favourite types are the girls like Motoko Aoyama, and Sakaki San. The best <3

hteng

Banned
i think anime needs a good balance cast of strong males and females, i hate the one guy + N girls trend, it's pointless and redundant. I want to see different characters interact and develop, not N girls seeking 1 fucking twat's attention, it used to be funny first time around but shit gets overdone to the point you already whats gonna happen next.

Genshiken (1st season) had a great cast, sure there were some fanservice and moe (Kujibiki unbalance) which all the male cast loves but that's no more than a plot device to bring them togather, what's awesome is that they shove an outsider/common (Saki) into the group and all hell breaks loss, Ono was there to balance the male and female cast, so you have a group of believeable characters interacting, its fun to watch.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Hitokage said:
Outwardly caustic, inwardly vulnerable. ie. The girl yelling at you all the time really loves you.
And this is considered an attractive character trope? Like in a dominatrix fantasy kinda way or something?

Brobzoid said:
And this is considered an attractive character trope? Like in a dominatrix fantasy kinda way or something?
The idea I guess is that the girl is suffering from some inner demons or issues etc.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
always been a 'kuudere with a slight dandere lean' man myself.

Kotomi from Clannad would probably be my ideal 'waifu' if i ever went full out otaku.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Do I need bablefish to participate in this thread?

you know, in addition to worthwhile input...

It would be funny if gaf was forced to watch Kodomo No Jikan. The number of hilarious posts would keep me entertained every day at work.:lol

selig

Banned
Hitokage said:
Outwardly caustic, inwardly vulnerable. ie. The girl yelling at you all the time really loves you.

so, uh,...who did Asuka love...except for dead mommy?

Annihilator said:
It would be funny if gaf was forced to watch Kodomo No Jikan. The number of hilarious posts would keep me entertained every day at work.:lol

:lol
It would change gaf forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom