• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mob Psycho 100 (Main Manga from Onepunch Man writer) gets TV Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow, ONE must be one very happy guy at the moment. I'd rather BONES do their own take on the artstyle rather than copy it verbatim or hire Murata. The more artistic liberties their staff has, the more animation characterization they'll able to go wild with

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
You are wrong.

I hope the art is just like ONE's

And LOL at calling Flowers of Evil ugly

what in the fuck

Shit was terrible and I will go to my grave repping that viewpoint... who cares how good their background is!

Puruzi

Banned
Shit was terrible and I will go to my grave repping that viewpoint... who cares how good their background is!

sKiG0WZ.png

Dio

Banned
So tell me, is ONE just not very good at drawing or is he doing it deliberately?

He wasn't an artist by trade. His work was originally doing webcomics as a side thing from his actual job. He can draw better when he puts effort into the art but he's basically just lazy by his own admission. He generally focuses on the writing.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
So tell me, is ONE just not very good at drawing or is he doing it deliberately?

That just his style. It's actually not that bad when you get used to it. Maybe he'll get better down the line, but at least his writing and panneling is great

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I'll just post my comment about One's style and skills from another thread:

The Murata redraw of One Punch Man is supervised by ONE I believe, including the added content. The sometimes excessive fisticuffs in the fights and segments that are almost like flip book pages are all Murata I believe.

The funny thing is that a lot of people shit on ONE's skills all the time to the point its getting memelike at this point but he is really talented. He can be really rough and sketchy in OPM but Mob Psycho 100 he does some really detailed and impressive stuff.

Even in OPM especially the farther it gets into the story the better he gets. The entire Garou arc had several creative and exciting fights, great use of paneling (not sure if that is the right term), and the finale was long but incredibly well paced, easy to follow and full of "OH SHIT!" moments. Murata could literally redraw it one to one but in his style and it would blow the Boros fight out of the water.

I'll just post my comment about One's style and skills from another thread:
Even in OPM especially the farther it gets into the story the better he gets. The entire Garou arc had several creative and exciting fights, great use of paneling (not sure if that is the right term), and the finale was long but incredibly well paced, easy to follow and full of "OH SHIT!" moments. Murata could literally redraw it one to one but in his style and it would blow the Boros fight out of the water
giphy.gif

Korosenai

I've been telling my friends forever to read this because it's amazing and they said no. Now they're going to be coming to me all like "omg look at this new awesome anime! It's from the guy who made one punch man!" And I'll be like "yeah, I know. I've been telling you guys about it for over a year now.

HStallion

I've been telling my friends forever to read this because it's amazing and they said no. Now they're going to be coming to me all like "omg look at this new awesome anime! It's from the guy who made one punch man!" And I'll be like "yeah, I know. I've been telling you guys about it for over a year now.

I've been debating reading Mob Psycho 100 before the show airs but I almost want to go in blind. I know the basics, I've seen bits and pieces of the manga, but unlike OPM I didn't dive right in.

Yonafunu

I've been debating reading Mob Psycho 100 before the show airs but I almost want to go in blind. I know the basics, I've seen bits and pieces of the manga, but unlike OPM I didn't dive right in.

You'll be in for a treat. I think a lot of people who've read it agree that it's better than OPM. I agree.

HStallion

You'll be in for a treat. I think a lot of people who've read it agree that it's better than OPM. I agree.

Yeah I've heard nothing but praise for it and I really like the idea behind the series. I just tend to always read the book/comic/whatever a movie or show is based on before it comes out if I haven't already and I kind of want to go into a TV series without much prior knowledge. Though I may just crack and read it anyway.

Looks great.

I disagree that Mob is better than OPM, and people going in expecting OPM are going to be disappointed. I also can't envision it being anywhere near as big as OPM based on concept and art alone. A slice of life psychic story about a middle schooler that doesn't want to stand out doesn't have the same appeal as a depressed adult that beats everything in one punch coupled with great animation, at least for people that would watch anime.

Mob is still awesome, but OPM trumps it in every category except for plot (and even that's debatable) and ONE version art.

Moaradin

ONE had his most popular manga get a great anime adaption and this looks like it will as well. Dude hit the jackpot lol

Looks great.

I disagree that Mob is better than OPM, and people going in expecting OPM are going to be disappointed. I also can't envision it being anywhere near as big as OPM based on concept and art alone. A slice of life psychic story about a middle schooler that doesn't want to stand out doesn't have the same appeal as a depressed adult that beats everything in one punch coupled with great animation, at least for people that would watch anime.

Mob is still awesome, but OPM trumps it in every category except for plot (and even that's debatable) and ONE version art.

Based on what? This seems like a completely unfounded generalization. I'm not even sure how you began to arrive at it

harSon

Banned
Now I can't help but wonder how Onepunch Man would have panned out if they had maintained One's rough/amateur art style

HStallion

ONE had his most popular manga get a great anime adaption and this looks like it will as well. Dude hit the jackpot lol

If you read up on some of the stuff he had to go through its pretty awesome that he's finally getting recognition of his work on such a large scale. His family was apparently not at all enthused about him trying to become a Mangaka and he literally took a job he hated and worked his ass off for a year or more to save up money just so he could take time off to draw full time. Guy put his time and effort in on top of being a creative author and I'm glad he's made it to the big leagues.

Yonafunu

Looks great.

I disagree. I think personally that Mob Psycho is (a lot) more relatable than OPM. I think the characters are more relatable, I think Mob is more relatable than Saitama.

That said, it's not as flashy and there's no superheroes, so I agree that it might not become as big. There's also the artstyle that might turn some people off.

Qurupeke

Now I can't help but wonder how Onepunch Man would have panned out if they had maintained One's rough/amateur art style

With good animation, it could definitely work, but I don't think it would have the same mainstream appeal as right now. I'm preeeetty sure a lot of people that watched OPM will try Mob Psycho and drop it.

Based on what? This seems like a completely unfounded generalization. I'm not even sure how you began to arrive at it

Purely talking about in anime, not other mediums. Look at the last two that breached the mainstream. Attack on Titan and OPM. I don't think it's absurd to say high action starring adults has more appeal than slice of life action starring middle schoolers, especially when that last thing is something people are always complaining about when it comes to anime.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd leave to see Mob breach the mainstream as well, but I don't see it happening. Even before the concept, I imagine the art would prevent that.

I disagree. I think personally that Mob Psycho is (a lot) more relatable than OPM. I think the characters are more relatable, I think Mob is more relatable than Saitama.

I don't think relatable is what people want here though, at least on a high scale. Mob clearly has more noticeable growth, but for a good portion of the story he's a guy with low self-esteem and very little visible desire. Because of the erratic tone of shifting between slice of life and action, it seems he fits neither especially when he
refuses to fight for 10s of chapters at a time, screwing up the pacing significantly and making action fans impatient.

As for the cast, can't agree that they're better even if more relatable fits to an extent. Saitama I'll give you in that while I do find him fascinating and his surprisingly subtle depiction of depression and introversion well-done, he isn't as interesting a character as Mob. That being said, the rest of the OPM cast blows Mob's out of the water, with the exception of Reigen and the Body Improvement Club, and the latter unfortunately doesn't show up as much as I'd like. Seeing the interactions between Saitama and other heroes is both more amusing and more satisfying. For me, there hasn't been one interaction in Mob Psycho better than the interaction between Saitama and Mumen Rider, and the interactions with the rest of Saitama's posse (Genos, Bang,
King, Fubuki, the new A classes that will likely become friends
) aren't far behind.

IMO of course.

Crocodile

Looks great.

I don't know how things will pan out but I don't think its surprising that OPM, his side manga, is the one that got adapted first and its success both as a web-comic, manga and anime (though the timing means that the first two are most important) are what lead to the adaptation of Mob Psycho 100. It might be better written (I dunno I'll have ot see myself) but I don't think its crazy to say it has less broad appeal.

ZoddGutts

Mob is the better series and most people who have read both agree that it's better. Either way the anime should be fun to watch.

This is going to be so good. While overall I think I prefer OPM, Mob Psycho is really well done. The humour is classic ONE. Just my kind of rabid humour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom