• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobius Final Fantasy |OT| From the Makers of Final Fantasy XIII

Victrix

*beard*
Comparing a bad thing to a worse thing does not make the bad thing good :D

I'm cautiously optimistic that the skillseed dailies will help though, some jp players said they have mountains of seeds lying around.

Falk

that puzzling face
That's kind of the grind right now. When 5* cards release, they won't be all that common yet but they'll definitely be a jump in skillseed/battle count.

I can't imagine having not having the Gift Box and having to literally do 50% more battles though. Yikes.

edit: On the flipside, I'm not too sure how much effect f2p vs whaling would have on the Skillseed grind, outside of having more 4* cards quicker, but even then three PuPus are a rather absurd amount of Skillseeds right now, and kinda goes well with Knight autobattling since Knight generally never ever dies.

WarAdept

Oh my god I'm finally done with Pupu farming. I can do all the extra battles in Chapter 1 and 2 now.

...Still haven't touched the Chaos Vortex.

Celegus

Oh my god I'm finally done with Pupu farming. I can do all the extra battles in Chapter 1 and 2 now.

...Still haven't touched the Chaos Vortex.

Did you combine enough PuPus to get the last ability chance to 100%? Or take your chances on the 25%? That's all I have left to do on a couple of them but man it takes a long time.

I still have no idea what the chaos vortex or realm of trials even is. I did clear chapter 2 last night though finally!

Victrix

*beard*
Chaos Vortex is a totally free area you can explore/fight in whenever you want. It doesn't take stamina - it also doesn't reward anything (xp/gil etc).

It does give chests with items the very first time you clear each section - the sections unlock as you complete chapters, so they'll expand it as they add more chapters.

Shrine of Trials takes those stones you earn from dailies to enter (3 each time), and it's a time limited area you can hunt for cactuar in. It's divided into three cactuar sections - gold in the west for gil, metal in the center for xp, and normal green ones in the east for skill seed fusions.

Each of the three sections has an easier and a harder section (south and north) though they're both pretty easy.

If you're going to go in there, go in when you have a block of uninterrupted time to play, make sure the animation is on double speed in combat, your stamina is full, and your inventory is completely clear. You don't want to waste any time in there at all.

iirc the last time I cleared the gold section fully I got ~200k gil from it, but I haven't bothered in awhile, no need for any of them with the pupu around.

A good time to visit is just after gaining a player rank, so that your stamina is overfilled and you can clear a bunch of areas without using an elixir - I think there's ~50 nodes in total in the region, each with one cactuar each time you visit.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm hovering around 2 million gil and I can't spend it.

Most of it came from the future-proofing PuPu additional farming.

hjOtyzPl.jpg

Quonny

Close the app and re-open it. Don't do anything but battle. Battles work, but if you try to collect Magicite or use the store it breaks.

Pejo

Gold Member

hjOtyzPl.jpg

I joined this party a bit late, is there anything I should aim for with the PuPu cards besides getting 4* versions of each of the 4 elemental buff cards? It's mainly a gil problem I'm having doing the evolutions, I already have all the materials and cards I need to get to 4*. Also, are these skills actually usable, or just good for farming skillseeds and raising your max level by being 4* with the level boost?

Quonny

If you want an easily obtainable goal, get 2 4* PuPus of every element. With class resistances and 2 4* PuPus you get 70% damage reduction from that element, which makes auto-battling for skillseeds much easier.

Falk

that puzzling face
Those stocked PuPus are for when the Gacha versions eventually become available - it's enough to max out a 5*.

The skills actually are pretty much an anti-<element> since it boosts your resistance vs a boss while letting you stock up orbs on the vulnerability. But you're right though - right now that's secondary to skillseed farming value.

Pejo

Gold Member
If you want an easily obtainable goal, get 2 4* PuPus of every element. With class resistances and 2 4* PuPus you get 70% damage reduction from that element, which makes auto-battling for skillseeds much easier.

Those stocked PuPus are for when the Gacha versions eventually become available - it's enough to max out a 5*.

The skills actually are pretty much an anti-<element> since it boosts your resistance vs a boss while letting you stock up orbs on the vulnerability. But you're right though - right now that's secondary to skillseed farming value.

Thanks guys, I'll work on farming these dudes a bit more then. I should be able to get some money while doing it too, which I really need at the moment.

Quick question about the Auto-Sell function. Does it retroactively go into your inventory and sell all the cards of that type, or just auto-sells any card that you obtain from that point forward? I'd like to have it auto sell all these 3* cards I'm getting, but I want to keep the ones I have stored.

Started playing this 5 days ago, and I'm quite enjoying it so far!

I'm now trying to collect the 4 keys in Chapter 2, and I'm getting bodied by the bosses in two of the temples. So far I haven't pulled any jobs nor bought any cards (besides the tutorial forced one), as I thought I'd try to keep my Summon Tickets until they add some cool jobs, and I've also only unlocked the second panel for the Neophyte Ranger as I've read that investing in the initial jobs isn't a good idea as they're easily outclassed by other card jobs; so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

So, do you guys think it'd be a good idea to pull a job before they add the next batch? The guys at the subreddit don't seem too excited about the next job batch, but I never know who to trust with these things!

Also, as a purely F2P player would it be a good idea to buy multiple ability cards *not* maxed out rather than one or two with max boost? Even if I need to grind my way to increase the ability level I'd rather have multiple decent cards than a couple of really good ones, just in case my big investment gets outclassed in a couple of months :(

Falk

that puzzling face
Actually the 3 base cards you get make up for their lack of stats in pure versatility. If you go deep in one of them you're generally going to be able to use any color of cards.

That being said, I'd pull jobs sooner rather than later. I think it's a fallacy to wait too long for 'better jobs' (unless it's like a few days away, like it is now) since these games are all about gradual progression and if you're neutering your short-term progression for a chance at something better, you're going to simply end up neutered in the long run.

Just be wary if you pull any job that starts with 3 speed stars though. The weapon upgrades in those will eventually 'add' a star back, but it's rough re-levelling one when you could be rocking the 3rd or 4th job in the base cards with that extra star, which helps a lot.

edit: Also I'm not sure if you were implying pulling jobs with a combination of Summon Tickets and Magicite, but you absolutely want to save your Magicite to get the 3000 Magicite gift box ASAP. That thing will make your progression take off.

Thanks for the input. Deep down I know you're right, but coming from Terra Battle where you can always wait for some pull event in order to get some guaranteed rare drops has made me very stingy when spending gatcha game currency, haha.

Also, yeah, I know about the Mobius Gift Box, and I don't intend to spend Magicite on anything else for the time being. Here's hoping I'll be able to buy my first one by the end of next week.

Victrix

*beard*
Spend Magicite/real bux (if you like the game) on the box.

Spend Magicite/tickets on 1-3 jobs so you have some options to work with (you won't get duplicates, and all the jobs are more powerful than the onion knight).

I wouldn't use tickets or magicites on anything else at this point.

Buy some of the 'fast starter' cards with ability tickets (these are the ones that show their level as 3+, and if you toggle the ticket prices go from 3 to 9 with a max boost, not 24+ like the other cards).

The fast starter start with their ability maxed even with the 3 ticket purchase, so you just need to level them and unlock their skillseeds, which is really easy to do.

They can't be ranked up to 4*, but they're almost all good cards with useful abilities that will help you out right now.

Once you come to grips with the game, spend 3 ability tickets to buy job cards that suit your job and (important) can be farmed in the game to upgrade them.

The only max boost cards I'd recommend getting from the ability store are cards that are a) useful and b) difficult or impossible to farm to upgrade them normally in the game. Stuff like Hades with its Drain. You can find Drain in the game (Grudge Generals in the shrine of trials), but upgrading them requires a material that isn't in the game yet so you have to spend magicite in the shop to buy it, and you have to spend tablets to explore the shrine so you are likely to need to spend 9+ tablets and elixirs just to get enough to upgrade Hades fully.

At this point I wouldn't max boost buy anything, and another point, you can max boost a card after you buy it anyway (as well as selling those cards back for tickets), so you can always spend 3 now, and do research on what's worthwhile later.

Celegus

How do so many people in the rental area have 4* versions of pretty much every card? I have a grand total of 3 Growstars, so I can upgrade...one card. If you just buy the gift box, that's upgrading one card every 2 months which seems crazy. Am I missing something here? I feel like I'm just going to hoard my Growstars and never actually use them.

How do so many people in the rental area have 4* versions of pretty much every card? I have a grand total of 3 Growstars, so I can upgrade...one card. If you just buy the gift box, that's upgrading one card every 2 months which seems crazy. Am I missing something here? I feel like I'm just going to hoard my Growstars and never actually use them.
You can use 6 summon tickets to summon a max ability/skillseed 4* card (plus 12 ability tickets) or do a greater summon containing 6 cards of 3* or 4* rarity (but unenhanced). Neither are investments I'd personally make being f2p since 6 summon tickets is also a job and jobs can't be bought with ability tickets.

Your monthly magicite exceed 3000 if all collected without bar staying full so over time you can afford to make other magicite purchases. Still upgrading 3*s is something that requires some careful thought if you're f2p.

WarAdept

Did you combine enough PuPus to get the last ability chance to 100%? Or take your chances on the 25%? That's all I have left to do on a couple of them but man it takes a long time.

I still have no idea what the chaos vortex or realm of trials even is. I did clear chapter 2 last night though finally!

Combined everything with 100% chance. 90% chance is more like 50% chance with my luck. I know from playing compettive Pokemon when shit like this misses, it's the worst.

But yeah, my Pupu card collection is an exact replica of Falk's screenshot above.

It's actually super fun stacking resists from the Pupu cards and just smacking things while not dying.

Victrix

*beard*
You don't need 4* cards for any current content (another reason the 3+ starter cards are nice).

The only time you should event consider growstarring a card as a f2p player is if you need it to progress in an event and it'll actually help you break into a higher reward tier.

I fully expect that as time goes on, whales and (to a much lesser extent) very long term players will have an insurmountable advantage in event rankings, so when that happens, I'd pretty much only bother 4*ing cards that you are going to use constantly.

Arkeband

Banned
I got all PuPu types to 4* and level 5, but reading that it's more viable to stack at least two of them for farming makes me sad because that means I need to do it all over again.

Is the eventual 5* form really only doable by farming a bunch of maxed out 3*'s right now? Do I need the UFO upgrade mats too? Ugh.

Quonny

I got all PuPu types to 4* and level 5, but reading that it's more viable to stack at least two of them for farming makes me sad because that means I need to do it all over again.

Is the eventual 5* form really only doable by farming a bunch of maxed out 3*'s right now? Do I need the UFO upgrade mats too? Ugh.
You don't need to get them to level 5 to get the resist passive, just to 4*.

Falk

that puzzling face
I growstared my Blizzara. No regrets. Also 8/8 ability from farming Shamans.

Next would be Fire - that way I have both fire/ice and both a single target and cone 4*.

Should I be bothering with fusing/leveling up the common drops?

I feel like the stuff I'm buying with Ability Tickets is where I should be, but I keep see ya'lls talking about doing everything with the common drops.

PS: Just as a reference, I did the tutorial and waited until I had enough gems to buy the Big Box, so I might have more tickets or whatever than other starting players.

Victrix

*beard*
Only augment the ones you're going to use to raise the cards you bought from the ability store.

You certainly can eventually level every card up to 3*, but you're talking about hundreds (or thousands) of energy, so you should go for what you're using first, worry about other stuff later.

Only augment the ones you're going to use to raise the cards you bought from the ability store.
Hmm, can you clarify on this? Do you mean like putting those common Ice Dust on my water cards?

Also, when do I start getting earth common drops? My hunter/bandit dude need them so badly.

Falk

that puzzling face
You probably want to bookmark https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/196r-v70Ph3nG9jZqEYmwiyR05lLw5Ud38_BRpRF9hOQ/edit#gid=0 as a quickref to what does and doesn't exist

(a lot doesn't exist)

Another good resource:

https://mobff.net/ability-lvl-upgrade-guide/#Icewave_Cone_Attack

In a nutshell, droppable cards can be fed to gacha cards but only after you upgrade them to 3* (you only need to do this once per card, all future drops are at the highest augment level you achieved). For example, a Grudge Ranger (Water) starts with Lesser Cone Ice Thing, which changes into Cone Ice Thing at 3* which then can be fed to the gacha card that has the same Cone Ice Thing ability.

In a nutshell, droppable cards can be fed to gacha cards but only after you upgrade them to 3* (you only need to do this once per card, all future drops are at the highest augment level you achieved). For example, a Grudge Ranger (Water) starts with Lesser Cone Ice Thing, which changes into Cone Ice Thing at 3* which then can be fed to the gacha card that has the same Cone Ice Thing ability.
Thanks for the links.

So in regards to this quote, I've been able to feed the 1&#9733; cards to my 3&#9733; ones.

Falk

that puzzling face
You only level the Skillseed portion that way though. Cards need the same ability for it to work with levelling abilities.

Victrix

*beard*
Find a list of all drops (like this one: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/159Yb4hVr-mB9VRNwYpo_cefR48GaR3FtKnZpTkUZJ9E/edit#gid=0)

Common monster cards go from 1* to 3*. At 1* and 2*, they have Lesser <Whatever>.

Say you have an ability card you bought non-boosted from the ability shop for 3 tickets, Fire Sword or Fira.

If an enemy has Lesser Fire Sword or Lesser Fira, you can (eventually) use it to level up your cards to maximum ability level with fusion.

To do so, you have to get them up to 3*, because at that rarity the ability becomes <Whatever> and loses the Lesser part.

All monster cards will drop at 2*/3* once you upgrade a single one of them, so you only have to upgrade any given monster card twice to be able to farm it so you can fuse it to your ability store cards.

The times when you don't want to do this is when the monster that has the right ability is rare, nonexistent, or a pain in the rear to farm. Check some lists online, find out if the ability you want is easily farmed. If it is, go rank up the monster(s) that have the ability to 3* and farm them until you can max out your card's ability.

If it isn't, either buy the card max boosted, or look for a different card instead. The 3+ cards in the ability shop come with their ability maxed even if you buy them for 3 tickets (and they only cost 9 tickets to buy max boosted, but don't do that, you can raise their skillseed levels easily with Pupus).

3+ cards can't be raised to 4*, which limits their long term effectiveness, but they're cheap and useful now, so use them if you spot one you like the look of.

The reason you want to use the ability store cards over the monster drops is twofold: The ability store cards can be raised to 4* (and I think 5* later), and they have unique and more powerful abilities - both extra abilities that you unlock, and passive abilities on the third panel when you inspect the card (like the Pupus 25% resistance to a specific element, or a bonus to attack power or break power on some other cards).

It sounds complicated, but it really boils down to: Buy ability card you want to use, find monster with same ability, augment it, farm it to upgrade the ability card, the end.

You only level the Skillseed portion that way though. Cards need the same ability for it to work with levelling abilities.
Oooh. I think I got it now. So if I upgrade the common cards I can (potentially) skill upgrade the cards I buy without needing to buy duplicates of that card?

Swank.

Pejo

Gold Member

hjOtyzPl.jpg

Hey Falk, question about your PuPu.

I can't tell by the picture because I think you display different stats on your icons than I do, but are these PuPu all 3*, max ability, except the last of each element that are 3/4 ability level?

Do you also have 1 4* card of each element? Why is this considered future proofing for the event? Are there uses for these max 3* cards later?

I just want to know exactly what I should be aiming for with the PuPu thing since it's time sensitive. I currently have 1 of each 4* element card at 1/5 ability level. Would it make sense for me to just try to max them out, or should I gather a bunch of max 3* instead like your pic above?

Falk

that puzzling face
Hey Falk, question about your PuPu.

I can't tell by the picture because I think you display different stats on your icons than I do, but are these PuPu all 3*, max ability, except the last of each element that are 3/4 ability level?

Do you also have 1 4* card of each element? Why is this considered future proofing for the event? Are there uses for these max 3* cards later?

I just want to know exactly what I should be aiming for with the PuPu thing since it's time sensitive. I currently have 1 of each 4* element card at 1/5 ability level. Would it make sense for me to just try to max them out, or should I gather a bunch of max 3* instead like your pic above?

I've got a 4* of each color, yes. They're in my card slots and not bank though, since I'm actively using them.

In the bank is 4x 4/4 Ability and 2x 3/4 Ability of each color for future proofing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MobiusFF/comments/4y1gqi/guide_what_to_do_with_excess_pupu_fodder_after/

Honestly speaking, it's a tad OCD and you probably could get by without, but the PuPu area also happened to be a great place for autobattle/AFK farming (prior to hitting Rank 32) so why not, etc.

Pejo

Gold Member
I've got a 4* of each color, yes. They're in my card slots and not bank though, since I'm actively using them.

In the bank is 4x 4/4 Ability and 2x 3/4 Ability of each color for future proofing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MobiusFF/comments/4y1gqi/guide_what_to_do_with_excess_pupu_fodder_after/

Honestly speaking, it's a tad OCD and you probably could get by without, but the PuPu area also happened to be a great place for autobattle/AFK farming (prior to hitting Rank 32) so why not, etc.

Ah I finally get it. I think I'm just going to go for maxing out each of the 4* cards and auto sell the rest. That link says that the PuPu event comes back when Light/Dark are released, so if need be I'll just grind more then.

Thanks for the info, and you're totally right about it being a great place to autobattle grind xp.

Arkeband

Banned
2 questions:

1) Falk just said prior to level 32, and I've seen people talking about the difficulty scaling with your player level to the point where you have to drop back down to normal eventually, is this really the case? What offsets this? It sounds like being punished for overplaying.

2) Are the new jobs live tonight? I see the three new ?'s in the job card menu.

Falk

that puzzling face
The lv32 thing seems specific to the PuPu event (and maybe future events?). At that point for w/e reason the mobs in the event started hitting twice as hard.

As far as I can tell, the main chapters don't seem to have these break points. But level scaling is a completely different kind of wack throughout the entire game anyway.

I hope the next time I do a Job Summon it will be for a class I like. I kind of wish when we do Job Summons we can designate exactly which Job type pool we would like to pull from i.e. Warrior, Mage, Ranger and eventually Monk once it is released. But I guess it would not be a gatcha game if they allowed you to do that since they want your money.

What I've noticed is that starting at lvl 32, the pupus start doing two moves per turn. But it's staggered across the stages and your level. So Player level 32 causes the pupus in X03 and all the 40X stages to do two moves per turn. I just reached level 34 and now the pupus in stages X02 are starting to do two moves. I'm assuming level 36 will change the ones in X01.

Arkeband

Banned
So it's now past the job card deadline (10 PM EST) and it still says "7 left" on the summon page even though there are 10 empty job card boxes for me.

Is it live? Anyone pull a new job yet?

Top Bottom