• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2 demo gives you free XBLA games.

MMaRsu

Banned
Through a glitch in the matrix, or lets say a buggy demo ( what can they do right :lol even the demo is bugged/glitched :lol ) you are able to download any SNK XBLA games and play them for free. You cant earn any achievements though, and the games go back to a demo after you quit them.

The glitch, which affects both the Modern Warfare 2 demo and full game, makes trial versions of XBLA games 'think' they are authorized to run as full versions.

The glitch triggers when you launch Modern Warfare 2 and select an XBLA SNK demo from the 360 "Quick Launch" menu, but it only seems to work with the combination of Modern Warfare 2 and the SNK developed XBLA games.

Source

Mock if old.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I want to know the logic behind this.
It sounds awesome.

MMaRsu said:
You cant earn any achievements though, and the games go back to a demo after you quit them.

I played through Metal Slug XX and got 100/200 Achievement Points. They show up at the end of my games played list.

Metal Slug 100/200 Gamerscore
Last seen online: Never

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I like the PS3 exclusive demo glitch where you can take screenshots during gameplay using the PS button (something you cant do in the retail version)...but the game shows the pause screen whenever you try to take a screenshot, resulting in a lot of HD caps of said pause screen. :lol

MMaRsu

Banned
Benjamin1981 said:
I played through Metal Slug XX and got 100/200 Achievement Points. They show up at the end of my games played list.

Metal Slug 100/200 Gamerscore

Lol fucking sweet..

monocromo

miladesn said:
How somebody found this glitch is a better question.

Probably it was something similar to this:

* someone is playing MW2 (not rare)
* the same person gets bored for playing MW2 (not rare)
* decides to play the demo for a great game (read, Metal Slug)
* suddenly he earns an achievement and the glitch is public

This is really bizarre. Fortunetly I have no interest in SNK games, otherwise it would probably have been a real ethical dilemma for me.

Hanmik

Would not advice ANYONE to try this.. MS bans people for stuff like this. It´s Marketplace Theft in their world.

itxaka

Defeatist
PetriP-TNT said:
MW2 is so glitchy it glitches other games

amirite

yo dawg I put a glitch into your glitch so you can glitch while you glitch?

Wasn't this discovered a long time ago and they fixed it already? I sure remember something similar.

Hanmik said:
Would not advice ANYONE to try this.. MS bans people for stuff like this. It´s Marketplace Theft in their world.

It's the same as when pre-order stuff goes up on Live by mistake. No one will get banned, killed or beaten by ninjas. It's a mistake or their end for not doing good enough QA, nothing will happen if you do it.

Pooya

Vinterbird said:
It's the same as when pre-order stuff goes up on Live by mistake. No one will get banned, killed or beaten by ninjas. It's a mistake or their end for not doing good enough QA, nothing will happen if you do it.
They banned people for Shadow Complex demo glitch last year IIRC.

Sanic

Vinterbird said:

Wasn't there an incident with MS banning users who somehow downloaded fifa content without paying for it? Though this may be completely different, and as far as I can remember there has never been any action taken for incidents like this one except for that fifa case.

panda21

so what are the good SNK games on the XBLA? its cool that they released stuff like Garou but i dont know if i can play old sprite fighting games after KOFXII and blazbleugh (plus i'd need to buy a pad).

Metal Slug? is there any more?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
panda21 said:
so what are the good SNK games on the XBLA? its cool that they released stuff like Garou but i dont know if i can play old sprite fighting games after KOFXII and blazbleugh (plus i'd need to buy a pad).

NGBC.

KOF98UM is a great game with the most horrendous netcode ever. It's my all time favorite fighter.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So Activision wants to destroy SNKP?
It makes sense.

panda21 said:

mhmhmh KOF98UM one of the best fighting games ever.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fersis said:
So Activision wants to destroy SNKP?
It makes sense.
Its because....the glitches were planned features all along, each of them a clever act of corporate espionage. Expect a glitch a month from now to cause anyone with MW2 installed to lose any EA sports game they play online
34oyog3.jpg

Syriel

MMaRsu said:
Source

Mock if old.

Just by two days. ;)

CVG got the story from WorthPlaying.

No one seems to know the real source of the bug, but it's obvious that Modern Warfare 2 is doing something that it's not supposed to be doing. Likely a bit of memory isn't getting properly flushed, so when the XBLA demos launch they look for a license key and see a chuck of code that effectively says "you're licensed!" so they boot as the full versions.

What's odd is that you'd think the Xbox 360 hypervisor would prevent such cross title memory access.

Hopefully Microsoft or Activision will issue some sort of statement on the root cause. It'll be interesting to find out.

I mean, I can't imagine "Check to see if the game breaks the XBLA licensing system" is part of the standard QA checks whenever a game and/or demo goes through cert.

Then again, it might be now. ;)

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Syriel said:
Just by two days. ;)

CVG got the story from WorthPlaying.

I mean, I can't imagine "Check to see if the game breaks the XBLA licensing system" is part of the standard QA checks whenever a game and/or demo goes through cert.

Then again, it might be now. ;)

I'm sure it is, but SNK uses their own thing, so SNK weirdness bites them again. (supposedly Sega is weird also)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The_Technomancer said:
Its because....the glitches were planned features all along, each of them a clever act of corporate espionage. Expect a glitch a month from now to cause anyone with MW2 installed to lose any EA sports game they play online

Also causes AR starts on Valhalla.

v7v9ud.gif

Burai

shitonmychest57
Domino Theory said:
Modern Warfare 2 is just one fucking glitchy mess after the other. It never fucking ends. :lol

It's so buggy it's even breaking games made by now-defunct Japanese developers in 1993.

Kibbles

Yeah, I don't want to get banned, but what games would this apply to? I don't know what the hell SNK means. Is that a company that makes XBLA games?

[edit] According to the comments on CVG, you can do this with the full game of MW2 as well. :lol Wow.

Q8D3vil

that's why snk should release their games on the psn.

not a ps3 fanboy but i have zero fighting games friend in xbl but all of my friends are fighting games addict in psn.

Top Bottom