• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Momodora V teaser trailer

Uh, I guess it's admirable to make the jump to 3D, but the visual style and design was kind of a big part of what drew me in to Momodora and while this doesn't look bad, it's just not as interesting to me. Obviously it's very early, but I feel like you wouldn't release a trailer unless you were within range of your target style/visuals.

Gameplay is kinda hard to judge but it looks rough atm, there are a lot more variables that can sink 3D gameplay so I hope they work it all out. Same thing though, I get it's early, but why release footage of combat unless it's in the ballpark of what you want it to look like?

Idk, I feel bad being down on it when they're already getting heat over it... but keep it in the oven if it's really years from release, because showing stuff this early never ends well.

There are already lots of good-looking, well-playing indie 2D platformers (Momodora IV is especially a great example), but not a lot of indie 3D action-adventures (well good ones I mean, not ones that are asset-flip Steam Greelight trash). And maybe Rdein just wants to make a new kind of game for once? And if he and Bombservice can knock it out of the park, I'm all for it

jackal27

Banned
Rdein has been a good internet friend of mine for almost 10 years now and he can get discouraged pretty easily. He's a really sweet guy, so I hate seeing how the reaction to this is treating him.

I'm sure the switch to 3D has been really hard, especially when he does so much of the work by himself. Also, this is still very early in development. I hope he comes back to Twitter soon...

He's scrapped projects and almost left game development on several occasions so I hope this isn't what finally does it.

BiggNife

Ugh, I really hope rdein doesnt give up on games because of a negative first impression. It's clear the game is super duper early so I wasn't particularly bothered by the stiff animation and simple visuals.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Early footage looks early. But yeah, the artstyle is nice, there's no way it won't end up looking really nice once it's been cooking for a while if the previous games are anything to go by. 3D is a big jump of course, 2D or 3D is just a different flavour, but personally I love both kind of games.

Rdein has been a good internet friend of mine for almost 10 years now and he can get discouraged pretty easily. He's a really sweet guy, so I hate seeing how the reaction to this is treating him.

I'm sure the switch to 3D has been really hard, especially when he does so much of the work by himself. Also, this is still very early in development. I hope he comes back to Twitter soon...

He's scrapped projects and almost left game development on several occasions so I hope this isn't what finally does it.

He's gotta do it just so we can watch Halfcoordinated speed trough it at an AGDQ some day :D

Beckx

Mine too!

I certainly didn't expect the sequel to be 3D, but I'm pretty sure it will be interesting. The art style in the trailer grew on my while watching, even in its early incarnation.

The music and atmosphere really grabbed me, and immediately brought back feelings from the previous game.

Kierian

Neo Member
I really like the style, the environments look really pretty.

I can understand why there's a backlash due to the transition to 3D, but I'm excited for the change, I always like it when indie developers get out of their comfort zone and try something different.

Nose Master

We're not all insatiable dinks. I wanna send him a fruit basket now.

120v

i thought the last game was sort of the series' swan song. so it makes sense to move to something completely different... i'd imagine 3D momodora to be more Dark Souls than some ps1/n64 era garden variety platformer

i'm on board with it personally

Definitely didn't expect a shift to 3D, but as someone who liked III and loved RutM, I'm really curious to see what they do with it.

They really shouldn't have released footage so early, since it's basically an invitation for drive-by ignorance and easy trolling. No shit it doesn't look great yet, it's far from being finished.

Here's hoping they're able to deliver something special.

Shredderi

Definitely didn't expect a shift to 3D, but as someone who liked III and loved RutM, I'm really curious to see what they do with it.

They really shouldn't have released footage so early, since it's basically an invitation for drive-by ignorance and easy trolling. No shit it doesn't look great yet, it's far from being finished.

And a friendly reminder in the form of text in the beginning of the video would go a long way to convey that to people who are not in the know of the game's development. Sure, I know now and regret being harsh on it.

Despite the rough edges, I see the potential here. A low Budget Bloodborne would be kinda neat. Just clean up those player animations I think.

And a friendly reminder in the form of text in the beginning of the video would go a long way to convey that to people who are not in the know of the game's development. Sure, I know now and regret being harsh on it.

Not that it would necessarily matter to most people making those comments, but you're right, it would only help.

Theswweet

Not to diminish how horrible people are acting to this, but he really should've put a disclaimer in the video that is was early progress. It looked super jank on my end, and the main draw to RutM for me was both the artstyle and how smooth the gameplay looked. Obviously this is a step down from that in the current state...

People really shouldn't be attacking him over this, though. Disgusting.

Wonko_C

I'm less surprised at the fact that the new game will be 3D than the fact that they would abandon their revamped spritework after a single game. Either way I'm excited for more Momodora.

gngf123

The jump to 3D is clearly rough right now, but I kind of like the art even in its early state, and would expect the slightly off animation to be touched up before release.

I hope he sticks with it and doesn't let the negative initial impressions get to him. Of course, people being fucking assholes makes that difficult unfortunately.

The jump to 3D is clearly rough right now, but I kind of like the art even in its early state, and would expect the slightly off animation to be touched up before release.

I hope he sticks with it and doesn't let the negative initial impressions get to him. Of course, people being fucking assholes makes that difficult unfortunately.

I read most of the comments while at work and just got around to watching it. And you pretty much match my thoughts. I expected it to look worse based off of the posts but I actually think it looks alright and I know there's plenty more development time so I expect animation will get worked on. If that was the finished game's animation it would be disappointing but as people have said it's a surprise to get a trailer of any sorts for Momodora V and in 3D even more of a surprise so I suspect things will change and be improved.

As much as I do love the 2D art from the previous games I look forward to what they'll do with a 3D game. I trust Bombservice.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Posted this in the SteamGAF thread.

D35xsIb.png

This is pissing me off. People giving him shit for that trailer instead of reading the tweets that the game is in early stages.

The dev deactivated their Twitter account right after this, FYI.

That's sad to see. A lot of gamers simply don't understand how game development works, he maybe shouldn't of shown it off early you might say but being an indie developer is not that easy and most aren't in a position where they can't not show it off early. It's a twisted conundrum which makes indie game development harder than it should be with elements outside of pure game development.

People saying the early footage didn't look good or rough or something, well of course it does. This is early footage, early gameplay always will look rough but I think the idea was to give a brief awareness of the general direction the project was going rather than sending it off to be judged as if it was a finalized product.

Some will say then don't show a game too early, but indie developers kind of have to show off their games early. Indie devs don't have the marketing that bigger studios have and many have to even struggle for any sort of mainstream attention. You'll hear this over and over as an indie dev, it's tempting to not want to show your work until it's "perfect" but it's been shown time and time against that's a determent to getting your game out there as an indie, you should show your game early as possible to allow a greater period for people to learn about and hopefully get interested in your game, people get more excited about things before they release that they learn about than something they learn about that's "out now." It's just a psychological thing with shoppers and wanting something they can't have, but also it's very rare for a game to get much coverage after release, so you need to be open before release.

But then gamers are honestly full of judgement. And to make matters worse we live in the internet era and there's strange accessibility to game developers than many other fields out there. So people sometimes make things weirdly personal over social media or other things, and don't get me started on people either with malicious intent or going 'rage dramatic' over something. Then there's a lot of armchair game devs who think they know the answer that the developer so obviously doesn't get or simply don't know the first thing or very little about game development or any of the things about game development, and commence to attack you for being some lazydev, or to give them what they want rather than what you want to try to make, or accuse you of this or that or belittle the work you've put into something. Add to that 'drama' groups who will attack anything that doesn't fit into their vision of perfect or whatever, whether it be that your game gets attention with something more depraved like GamerGaters, anti-'SJW' peeps, call to arms for "this gameplay decision I don't like", technical peeps who won't accept less than perfect in their games, among others.

Game development is a tough cookie, making games in itself is hard and already requires you to make a lot of personal sacrifices and can honestly be very fatiguing, and often not even to great earnings or anything like that, so you kind of have to work off of passion. And that passion can be killed off by the recent rise of social incidents from some very vocal and sometimes hostile gamers who try to make these things very personal.

So sometimes it can be tempting just to say, "Fuck it." You either don't get attention but generally nice small community but it makes it hard to make a living off of it, or you get attention and gamers are on your side until you do something that upsets someone for some reason and suddenly they'll turn on you faster than a pack of wolves to try to tear you apart rather than be any sort of constructive unit about it. I know that's not everyone, but it can be tiring, extremely tiring, and then it can simply make it seem like the hard work simply may not be worth it. It's especially hard when you're indie and a sole worker or one of maybe 2-5 people who work on a project because it's a very personal thing and you have more work that cuts into your own personal life quite often, taking a lot of time from you that could be spent doing something else, it doesn't pay great for most and gamers will devalue your games, belittle you for mistakes to getting personally hostile with some groups, and often for little money in the end for so much of your time, effort, sacrifice, etc., and sometimes over things that are simply just silly like this, "IE an early game still years off looks rough, what a surprise!". It basically requires you to stay passionate, and if that passion dies it's very easy to just want to quit.

Elija2

You know, I'm kinda tired of 2D Metroidvanias right now so I'm actually more interested in this now that it's 3D. The art style is pretty nice, and although everything else looks rough it's alpha footage so that's to be expected.

Jakten

I've loved all the Momodora games so despite this looking a bit rough it's nice to see them experimenting with something new. I like the 2D games but there's 4, I can easily just go back and replay them. I hope he doesn't take it too hard and cancel because I look forward to seeing what they come up with.

Seeing people react like this towards Indie Devs constantly really is demoralizing though and I often question if this is the industry I want to work in myself. I wish I could count how many times I've seen people say (mostly indirectly mind you) I should kill myself because of the art I've made.

TriAceJP

Some series shouldn't make the jump, this being one of them.

That gameplay looked very bland. It's a shame, the 2D games were something special.

I love Momodora IV and thought that everything in it was very well crafted, so I feel like the developers will be able to pull this off.

Rhete

Banned
When I saw the initial responses in this thread I had a feeling this would be the next "reading neogaf made me cry for 2 days" moment. Sad it's reached that point faster that I thought.

This is why AAA devs reveal games with cinematic trailers or target renders. Visuals are everything. It also doesn't help that Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight is particularly adored for it's sprite work, and this game is a huge shift away from that.

I hope the game gets finished, it looks neat.

Don't know why you would show off something that looks this bad. Whether you have a disclaimer saying that it's super super early or not, I really can't see what effect they expected it to have. If you wanted to tease then release concept art or a dev diary. Editing and releasing a trailer of poorly animated generic looking jank doesn't do anyone any good.

I'm not even against the move the 3D, although I think Momodora 4 is one of the best games I've ever played, but I lurk in the indie dev thread and there's a reason why people don't edit trailers for their super early work, and it's a good one. Team should chalk it up as a rookie mistake and move on.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Don't know why you would show off something that looks this bad. Whether you have a disclaimer saying that it's super super early or not, I really can't see what effect they expected it to have. If you wanted to tease then release concept art or a dev diary. Editing and releasing a trailer of poorly animated generic looking jank doesn't do anyone any good.

I'm not even against the move the 3D, although I think Momodora 4 is one of the best games I've ever played, but I lurk in the indie dev thread and there's a reason why people don't edit trailers for their super early work, and it's a good one. Team should chalk it up as a rookie mistake and move on.

It's not the devs fault people act as if early footage will be representative of the final product and calling it shit. It just isn't, it's an unfair position. You shouldn't have to expect the worst of people all the time, he was excited about the new direction and really wanted to share it, early footage be damned and then it got unjustly shat on like that.

I hope he doesn't cancel the game, or at the very least, continues to make games.

Wonko_C

Much improved from that first teaser, and it's still early, so it will be even better. I'm glad Bombservice didn't get discouraged.

This actually looks really good now. I loved Momodora IV a lot, but this will stand out from the indie market a lot more and maybe get the series the popular acclaim it deserves.

Shifty

Obviously wait-and-see territory but whoof that's quite the change.

Please don't be another souls-like.

Kudo

Wow, the game looks even better than the trailer when it's actually being played, can't wait for this now.

Lain

The BitSummit gameplay footage doesn't really look much different compared to the teaser to me, but it confirms the impressions I had when watching the short teaser. It obviously is rough looking at this stage but it's promising to be a fun experience.

Looks like they've moved from the 16-bit look to PS1-style early 3D. A bit of a bold move, considering it's a style that most people don't think has aged all that well.

The 3D gameplay looks fun though. And I think I can dig the graphics if they just improve the roughest aspects, like the running animation, a bit

Gin-Shiio

Ah, the iconic leaf sound. I have said it before, but I trust this team to deliver on their aspirations 100%. Momodora IV was a delight to play. Best of luck to these guys.

Top Bottom