• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft has some of the best world art design in gaming

Oregano

Can't wait to see what there engine will look like on the Switch with a decent amount more power and more modern tools.

I vaguely remember someone looking through the source files/code for XBX and concluding that the engine had a bunch of features disabled.

Yeah I mentioned it in the OP as well. The movement in XCX should absolutely be the baseline going forward with their games as it elevates the simple task of moving around and exploring just that much more.

Also yes, Sylvalum is the best area.
I agree. FFXV is such a slog in that regard. It's designed to where you aren't meant to be far from your vehicle, it seems, so it hurts when I really want to explore in that game. It looks wonderful, but it's clear the developers wanted to maintain some control of where you go. You can't swim or jump very high at all. Your sprinting isn't very fast and bottlenecked by stamina.There are lots of invisible barriers preventing you from simply jumping off a small cliff. Compared to XCX, the difference is substantial.

-shadow-

I want a Xenoblade Chronicles HD remake. That game was amazing!

And a new game at the same time!

LCGeek

formerly sane
Its unfortunate that they are so hardware constrained. XCX is both beautiful and ugly at the same time.

I'd rather devs exploiting their hardware than 90% shit we see for pc and power consoles that gets wasted. People are always quick to point out all the good examples of great looking games ignoring there are far more games that are never even half as close to few dozens that end up being really polished in that respect.

If I took your logic with my kind of nit picking all games would be ugly and beautiful. I tend not to let the ugly or imperfect get me down especially if I can tweak or disable it in a game.

I agree. FFXV is such a slog in that regard. It's designed to where you aren't meant to be far from your vehicle, it seems, so it hurts when I really want to explore in that game. It looks wonderful, but it's clear the developers wanted to maintain some control of where you go. You can't swim or jump very high at all. Your sprinting isn't very fast and bottlenecked by stamina.There are lots of invisible barriers preventing you from simply jumping off a small cliff. Compared to XCX, the difference is substantial.

Stamina doesn't really have much impact in the game so I dunno why it's even there. You have so much that it's easy to escape from encounters and you can even ignore the stamina penalty by timing a button press. There's no reason for it to be there.

Can anyone share a few useful tips to refresh someone's memory that's hopping back in for the first time in a while?

I think I got to the third continent, Sylvanium or whatever, found myself a bit underlevled and never went back. It's been a solid year or more.

Garlador

Man I have a save still relatively early on in the 3DS version of Xenoblade. Considering restarting on the WiiU VC when I look at some of the environments. Should I bother? I'm at the part where that kid or his sister get kidnapped by (what I assume) is the big bad.

You are SUPER early in the game. There's definitely no better time to restart on Wii U VC if you want.

I'm playing the 3DS version right now, but I own it on Wii and Wii U as well. You've barely scratched the surface.

thefro

From what ive seen of FFXV the world in that game is pretty vast indeed, filled with amazing looking monsters

You're pretty much stuck to the roads and pre-defined paths for the most part from what I've seen in 25 hours. Lots of fences and cliffs blocking the way and not much reason to explore too much of the beaten path (if the game even lets you). There's some beautiful spots in the world but I'd like a lot more of them as there's really only 3 spots that stand out so far.

I've only see a couple huge monsters when it's not night (or part of a quest/dungeon). I'm sure there will be more later in the game and in the post-game.

The game has some strengths in other areas but I don't the world art design getting close to topping Xenoblade on Wii for me.

DedValve

Banned
This is also a major reason that separates Monster Hunter from other hunting games. Not only is the creature design top tier but so is the environment, everything looks gorgeous despite using PS2 level assets.

Xenoblade Chronicles world was so cool and learning about it thru the story was fascinating. XBX never managed to recapture that magic for me. Although XBX was a step down its still ahead of other games tho.

Garlador

Xenoblade Chronicles world was so cool and learning about it thru the story was fascinating. XBX never managed to recapture that magic for me. Although XBX was a step down its still ahead of other games tho.

How I feel. XBC wove the story and environments together quite seamlessly.

I still remember all those moments where I'd just stop and enjoy the scenery. Those moments of awe, such as emerging from Tephra Cave and then seeing the Mechonis stretched before you miles and miles away...
Xenoblade-Chronicles-Screenshot-7.jpg

Or that moment when Satorl Marsh and Valak Mountain shifted from day to night and the night sections just lit up and blew me away.

mrmickfran

I'd much rather explore in Xenoblade than in any Zelda. Wind Waker is the only one that can hold a candle to Xenoblade in terms of exploration.

Breath of the Wild has got a lot to live up to, but I have faith in it.

Mira is my favorite video game world. Incredibly gorgeous and rewarding to explore. XCX was such a fulfilling experience.

I still remember all those moments where I'd just stop and enjoy the scenery. Those moments of awe, such as emerging from Tephra Cave and then seeing the Mechonis stretched before you miles and miles away...

Or that moment when Satorl Marsh and Valak Mountain shifted from day to night and the night sections just lit up and blew me away.

I remember every time I entered an open area the first thing I'd do is try to see if I can see the Mechonis from where I am, that was so fucking cool.

mrmickfran

Anyone remember getting that obviously suspicious itwn in Gaur Plains and then out of nowhere, a giant fucking spider pops out? 😂😂😂

I'd much rather explore in Xenoblade than in any Zelda. Wind Waker is the only one that can hold a candle to Xenoblade in terms of exploration.

Well they've got Monolith Soft Staff and Shield Surfing (Combined with Paragliding), what could go wrong?

Garlador

I remember every time I entered an open area the first thing I'd do is try to see if I can see the Mechonis from where I am, that was so fucking cool.

Then there was crazy moments where you could look back and spot places you've been or places you were going. It's insane to get to the edge of Colony 6, peer over the edge, and see WAY down beneath you is Colony 9.

That ability to see Fallen Arm from Mechonis Field, or to spot Eryth Sea shimmering above you in Makna Forest, it all feels so cohesive.

Anyone remember getting that obviously suspicious itwn in Gaur Plains and then out of nowhere, a giant fucking spider pops out? ������
Lol. EVERY time a new player plays the game, or I make a friend play it, that part always puts a smile on my face when it happens.

Happens to every player. It's a great rite of passage.

El Odio

Banned

That pic reminds me of how being anywhere in Gaur Plains at sunset was always a treat. Whenever I go out biking I always like switching my music to either the day or night theme once the sun starts setting.

Wind Waker was probably the game that best gave me a truly immersive sense of exploration till X came out last year. There's something about them both that other games can't come close to for me.

schopaia

Fantastic landscape art, yet completely underwhelming interiors and architecture. Everything kind of has the Star Wars Prequel look of a barely disguised sound stage. New LA was also quite bad.

nass-history-1_436ae796.jpeg

Man XCX was so much fun to just play. I loved the on foot battle system (didnt like the mech one too much) and loved running around and looking for secrets. so much fun. I cant wait for the new game though I hope they start fresh with a new world despite everthing said.

PKrockin

This is also a major reason that separates Monster Hunter from other hunting games. Not only is the creature design top tier but so is the environment, everything looks gorgeous despite using PS2 level assets.
I wouldn't go so far to say it looks gorgeous, but some areas do look great and every area within a map is distinct and memorable. Well, I guess that's not true for the first and second gen games, but those games are shit anyway. If I wasn't on mobile I'd post pictures of all the areas in the Jurassic Frontier, the first map of Generations, just to show the variety.

Xenoblade X had a wonderful world that was a joy to explore. I was constantly wowed by the views, surprised by enemies, finding secrets, and navigating my way to hard to reach areas. The momentum-driven sprint jump made exploring twice as fun, too. It easily accomplished what it needed to as an open world game. It's a shame the annoyances of the menuing and micromanagement sort of put me off the game.

Nanashrew

Banned
Their worlds remind me of Roger Dean's landscape art. It's so alien yet so natural.

Yep.

I love how Xenoblade took inspiration from a bunch of old sci-fi artists and shows/films from the 70's and 80's. It's even more pronounced when you look at the concept art for something like XCX http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Category:X_Concept_Art

I really love the worlds that Monolith Soft create, and cannot wait to see their next game!

Kambing

I never got around to playing either Xenoblade games. Hoping for a remaster of the Wii game and the ability to play the Wii U game on the Switch. From what i hear, the games are pretty good. From what i see in this thread, their games are damn beautiful, and truly creates a sense of awe!

EhoaVash

Yeah xcx's world is fantastic the most fun I had exploring a open world

I too recently played and beat ffxv, while I loved the cast unlike xcx, man what a disappointing world did it have for me to explore. While visuals were clean, the world had far few amazing landmarks, a lot of them you can't even climb, go to etc...also the overworked had such sparce amount of enemies once it took me 4 minutes to find a enemy to test a new skill out in the open world

Also the amount of invisible walls in ffxv, not being to jump off a road etc made me want to pull my hair, made me miss xcx so much

sanstesy

If the switch port adds real time lighting for the sun and moon and fixes the pop in, im'ma be truly in love.

In general I think XCX would greatly benefit from a "International version" like past Final Fantasy games have had. There are so many small & low-effort changes to be done that would hugely improve the overall experience so I hope they will do that with the Switch version. Added graphical enhancements are a bonus.

Just a general comment, but sometimes i feel like a lot of people don't really know that they also did Xenogears and Xenosaga.

They are not really comparable that's why.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Still feels strange seeing this. I followed Takahashi religiously as a kid, but not for reasons like these. I hope he can rediscover great narrative and dense storytelling going forward. Xenoblade was fine. XCX wasn't for me.

Matching that up with gorgeous worlds is something special.

Kindekuma

Banned
I absolutely love the world designs from XC and XCX.
I'm very excited to see how MonoSoft's world design will turn out in BotW.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I absolutely love the world designs from XC and XCX.
I'm very excited to see how MonoSoft's world design will turn out in BotW.

It's going to be as distinguishable as Digitalscape Co Ltds. Meaning you aren't going to be able to spot out "additional asset work".

Dunkley

Yeah, after playing XCX, it really hurts when I explore FFXV which is absolutely boring : /

I mean I beat and loved Xenoblade X and I don't think it's too bad in FFXV, just notably a lot less exciting after being able to explore in a giant mech that can fly and transform into a car.

With some really awesome transformation animations to boot. Really made getting around Mira as awesome as it was.

Lilo_D

I mean I beat and loved Xenoblade X and I don't think it's too bad in FFXV, just notably a lot less exciting after being able to explore in a giant mech that can fly and transform into a car.

Yeah it's beautiful, I can't deny, it's on a much better hardware but it's still hurts, even in witcher 3

Top Bottom