• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft has some of the best world art design in gaming

Fou-Lu

Japanese games used to always impress me in art direction, but not as much anymore. I miss the PSX and PS2 era for truly stunning art direciton and fantastical settings.

I am glad Monolith Soft is still keeping it alive. I LOVE the settings and art direction and world design in all of their games.

Hiltz

I would very much like to see Nintendo port Xenoblade X to Switch since I skipped getting a Wii U. I'm also considering getting my Wii fixed again (3rd time) so I can finish my 2nd play through of Xenoblade 1 where I left off at
the top of Prison Tower 1st visit.

Xenoblade 1 was my first major home console RPG in a very long time and it went beyond my expectations despite some of its game design blemishes. I hope Monolith Soft makes an even more interesting Xenoblade-like title for Switch, but whatever it is, we likely won't see it released until around 2020.

Piers

Too bad XBX's world was a total pain in the ass to explore at times.
Eryth Sea in Chronicles floored me, though. Aside from being beautiful, I couldn't believe you could actually drop down and swim in the ocean. For almost every other game, it'd just make you die like a bottomless pit. It was really awesome to see the sense of verticality with the 3D turned on, too.
Also props to Valak Mountain at night. Seeing the crystals light up with an amber hue is super cool and enchanting.

Ridley327

Yep.

I love how Xenoblade took inspiration from a bunch of old sci-fi artists and shows/films from the 70's and 80's. It's even more pronounced when you look at the concept art for something like XCX http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Category:X_Concept_Art

I really love the worlds that Monolith Soft create, and cannot wait to see their next game!

The craziest thing about the big key art image you posted is that all of that is in the final game and looks pretty much just like that. The only thing that they didn't get right was Elma being a dual knives user, but since that came so early in the production, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since that was virtually the first piece of concept art for the game.

skypunch

Banned
Yeah, the world of XB and XCX is stunning. Just hope the next game has better storytelling and characterisation, plus music that is a lot more respectable (no rap-rock or trashy pop vocals).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It was literally the only thing I liked about Xenoblade X.

I totally agree though. I love their take on biblical story elements as well.

I've been playing ffxv a lot this week, then I watched my wife play done more xcx and I said "wow" far more times than I cared to admit.

Ffxv had pretty graphics, but the scenery in xcx blows it away in scale and vision.

Nanashrew

Banned
Too bad XBX's world was a total pain in the ass to explore at times.
Eryth Sea in Chronicles floored me, though. Aside from being beautiful, I couldn't believe you could actually drop down and swim in the ocean. For almost every other game, it'd just make you die like a bottomless pit.
Also props to Valak Mountain at night. Seeing the crystals light up with an amber hue is super cool and enchanting.

I think what really floored me was how you get to Eryth Sea. I was honestly not expecting it. Just the concept of a living breathing world on top of a dead God and having these weird unique landscapes is so cool.

The craziest thing about the big key art image you posted is that all of that is in the final game and looks pretty much just like that. The only thing that they didn't get right was Elma being a dual knives user, but since that came so early in the production, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since that was virtually the first piece of concept art for the game.

Well, I was speaking more on visual style and how pronounced the influences are in the artwork. But yeah, you're right! The influences transitioned remarkably well into a cohesive look.

I vaguely remember someone looking through the source files/code for XBX and concluding that the engine had a bunch of features disabled.

Nice. Yea, I seem to remember them saying they focused more on HD graphics and engine and less on story for XCX. I should see if i can find the quote in case I'm misremembering.

Nanashrew

Banned
Yeah, the world of XB and XCX is stunning. Just hope the next game has better storytelling and characterisation, plus music that is a lot more respectable (no rap-rock or trashy pop vocals).

I believe Takahashi said that's what they're going back to for the next game. More story and narrative focus. They essentially built the gameplay foundation in XCX, so next game should likely have the best of both worlds.

Storywise, Takahashi on his own can only disappoint IMO. What made Xenogears' story great was the combination of Takahashi, Soraya Saga and Masato Kato.

Nanashrew

Banned
Storywise, Takahashi on his own can only disappoint IMO. What made Xenogears' story great was the combination of Takahashi, Soraya Saga and Masato Kato.

I don't think Soraya has been doing anything in games lately. She's been drawing a ton of JoJo fan art and fan comics though!

Masato still does stuff in games though.

Since both are freelancers, it would be nice to see them together again.

I don't think Soraya has been doing anything in games lately. She's been drawing a ton of JoJo fan art and fan comics though!

Masato still does stuff in games though.

Since both are freelancers, it would be nice to see them together again.

Soraya worked on Soma Bringer in 2008 but, other than that one exception, she has basically retired from video game writing after the whole Xenosaga II debacle in 2004.

X's world is mindboggling but FFXV has it comfortably beat

at least synthetically and in terms of bestowing an insane sense of scale

but hey I haven't played all that far into either game so don't take my word as gospel

Should I get XCX or wait for eventual Switch port?

Wait for the Switch port. Who knows, it might include dual audio voice acting, and a music volume slider that goes all the way down to -10%, so that you can actually un-hear the New LA theme. Then we'll finally have a playable version of XCX :3

Nanashrew

Banned
Soraya worked on Soma Bringer in 2008 but, other than that one exception, she has basically retired from video game writing after the whole Xenosaga II debacle in 2004.

I remember hearing bits of the Xenosaga mess. I could understand why she would choose to retire after that =/

Ridley327

Should I get XCX or wait for eventual Switch port?

I would wait to see if the Switch port pans out next month. Tempting as it is to tell you to get it now, there's some really easy stuff that a port could improve upon that would make it worthwhile to wait for that instead.

Mistle

I think Xenoblade is a better game, but man, exploring the world of X is probably the most fun I've had exploring any videogame world.

Fou-Lu

I mean as far as I am aware Soraya Saga and Takahashi are still married, so she probably tosses ideas into his stories still. I loved the story of Xenoblade though so... I wouldn't agree with you anyway. I do think Xenogears and Xenosaga have a better story of course, I just don't think Xenoblade was disappointing.

Yarbskoo

Requesting some 4K Dolphin shots of Xenoblade.

I'd do it myself, but I own the 3DS and not the Wii version of Xenoblade.

I'd get you some if it didn't mean hooking the Wii back up and ripping the disc again.

All I got left are some downsampled 1080p shots.
15713348952_e7161cc5f6_o.png
16295868605_5fe6e3d03c_o.png
yPgb.png
zPgb.png

JMY86

Monolith has some of the best built worlds in recent games. Their only problem is everything else that matters...

dtm808

An old miiverse photo i took. I remember seeing the crimson aurora weather kick it for the first time while exploring sylvalum. One of the most beautiful things i have ever seen in a game period.

GQZ8nXw.jpg

Fou-Lu

Monolith has some of the best built worlds in recent games. Their only problem is everything else...

Xenoblade
-Fun gameplay
-Great characters
-Incredible soundtrack
-Good story

Xenoblade X
-Improved gameplay
-Great characters if you take the time to get to know them
-Some of the most well done mobility in a game, ever
-Lots of hidden lore

What's the everything else you speak of?

DMONKUMA

I really like it only for the fact that you can run around on ground and hop into a transforming mecha that you could drive and fly with, I really like that aspect of gameplay but not the combat system. The world is definitely pretty unique.

Kikorin

This thread make me sad because noticed me I've still to buy and play Xeno X... but now I think I've to wait and see if the Switch port is real.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Yeah, the garbage story really ruined an amazing foundation Monolith put together with the world design and lore. Such a waste.

The main story in x was disappointing but i found their side commentary thought provoking.

Discussions of xenophobia, patriarchy, religion, etc. It was pretty mature yet presented in a matter of fact, sometimes humorous way.

And yes. Both XBC and XBX are amazing in world design. Lots of wow moments.

Jharp

I'm currently early on in my first play of Xenoblade Chronicles X and one thing I find consistently surprising is how awesome the mountains feel. So many games do mountains so poorly, and Xenoblade does them so well.

I've also never played Xenoblade Chronicles and own the 3DS version. Not sure if I'll emulate for graphical reasons or use it as an excuse to finally turn my 3DS back on.

The second area of Xenoblade X was pretty great. Felt like 3 areas in one. The rest aren't all that interesting. Especially Sylvalum which is pretty much a giant flat field with that one mountain

I preferred the variation in Xenoblade Chronicles

The second area of Xenoblade X was pretty great. Felt like 3 areas in one. The rest aren't all that interesting. Especially Sylvalum which is pretty much a giant flat field with that one mountain

I preferred the variation in Xenoblade Chronicles

Yeah, I still liked the areas in X, but I missed the variety and variation in Xenoblade Chronicles in regards to explored areas and landscapes. It helps I love how they incorporated the journey around Bionis and you can directly see how far you've come at certain points in the game if you look around.

Nanashrew

Banned
What's the Xenosaga mess? what happened?

It's a long story, but it's overall a management mess with some people resigning and others distancing themselves from the project. By 2, Soraya was removed from the team, citing that the original draft was drastically altered. Most of the plot details removed and such. She never returned to the team though some of her original draft for 2 did get used in 3.

Soraya used to have all this stuff up on her website discussing some of the things that happened but it's no longer there.

The series was also meant to continue after 3 into 4, 5, and 6, but it was cancelled

random25

Yeah the world art in their games is just so good and even otherworldly at times. From two Titans basically containing the continents of the world to regions like Sylvalum that is uniquely designed there's just no other world looking like that.

Can't wait for their next new project.

Fou-Lu

It's a long story, but it's overall a management mess with some people resigning and others distancing themselves from the project. By 2, Soraya was removed from the team, citing that the original draft was drastically altered. Most of the plot details removed and such. She never returned to the team though some of her original draft for 2 did get used in 3.

Soraya used to have all this stuff up on her website discussing some of the things that happened but it's no longer there.

The series was also meant to continue after 3 into 4, 5, and 6, but it was cancelled

What I wouldn't give to have the original Xeno vision complete...

Garlador

What's the Xenosaga mess? what happened?

To quote the wiki:
Several months after Episode II 's North American release, it was revealed that scenario writer Soraya Saga, was removed from the series. Monolith's management elected not to continue using the services of Saga, who worked freelance for them on Episode I, Episode II and Xenosaga: Pied Piper. It was also revealed that Saga's contributions to the original script for Episode II had been heavily altered by the new team of writers and editors that Monolith Soft had hired on for Episode II's production. Saga described certain scenes, primarily the ones involving Albedo's childhood, as being edited to the point of being unrecognizable from her original work...

It's a shame, because while Episode 2 does indeed falter quite heavily, Xenosaga Episode 3 is a JRPG highlight with one of the best endings ever, and while she wasn't involved, it's clear they were wrapping up a lot of the story elements she introduced and exploring the themes she brought up.

Ridley327

wtroWKK.jpg

I love this game soooo much!

Divine Roost is such a rad area. All the intrigue throughout the game of wondering what's up that massive waterfall pays off when you get the flight module and are finally able to get up there, only to find the game's most alien-looking environment, lorded over by the game's strongest tyrant.

Garlador

The rumoured Xenoblade X port for Switch should have Xenoblade HD too.

It should, if only because more people need to play it, and it's criminal that the best official release caps off at, what, 480p?

For such a gorgeous game, that's borderline criminal.

Nanashrew

Banned
Would likely take a lot of man hours and money, but I would enjoy XC remaster with better textures and models similar to what OoT 3D and MM 3D got.

Yet another reason we need another Baten Kaitos. Xenoblade series looks great, but BK looks amazing.

I can't agree with this more. For whatever reason the actual gameplay of XC and XCX never clicked for me, but the worlds are absolutely spectacular. A modern Baten Kaitos with the same type of BK gameplay would be a dream for me.

poodaddy

I couldn't agree more though I haven't gotten a chance to play Chronicles X yet. I was loving Xenoblade Chronicles but for some reason I just stopped playing it somewhere around the half way point and I haven't gone back :/. I need to get back to it; truly outstanding RPG with second to none world building and geography design. Great soundtrack too.

Top Bottom