• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft inteview: The future of Disaster, possibility of new Baten Kaitos

wsippel

Banned
Minsc said:
:lol :lol :lol

Wait... that can't be enough. Nintendo give the go-ahead? :lol :lol :lol
It's a Namco IP - I guess they'd have to greenlight it. And wasn't tri-Crescendo heavily involved as well?

Vinnk

Ok, I give up hoping for a US release. I'm gonna buy the Japanese version. I know the speech is all in English but is there a lot of game-necessary text that's only in Japanese? My spoken Japanese is OK but my kanji level is very low.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Reggie,

If you're not sure how well the game will sell enough for a full print run, why not just make Disaster an online or Wal-Mart or Insert Store Here exclusive?

Vinnk said:
Ok, I give up hoping for a US release. I'm gonna buy the Japanese version. I know the speech is all in English but is there a lot of game-necessary text that's only in Japanese? My spoken Japanese is OK but my kanji level is very low.
Why not get the EU release? It's all English.

Vinnk

Aaron Strife said:
Why not get the EU release? It's all English.

I don't have a PAL Wii. I have JPN and US systems and I really don't feel like modding, or paying high PAL game prices (+shipping). I can get the Japanese version on my way home from work.

I want to play the game, but not enough to pay like $80 (after shipping and taxes) to play it.

PolyGone said:
This could have been the Wii's ace in the hole this holiday, but no, NOA sucks dick
WTF are you talking about?

(Do people really think this game is "a ace that would make the core happy"?)

Anyway . . . Monolith Soft is working on other titles for the Wii? Sorry DuckRoll but . . . Monolith & Matsuno Wii RPG!!!

Vinnk

Black-Wind said:
WTF are you talking about?

(Do people really think this game is "a ace that would make the core happy"?)

Very true. One game is not enough to make the core gamers happy. But perhaps "less pissed off".

Now if the holiday lineup was:

Disaster, Fatal Frame IV, Captain Rainbow, and something like a new Pikmin or (dare I dream) and on-line Excitetruck, THEN they might be at least appeased.

As it is now, it's pretty dismal for traditional core gamers.

sphinx

the piano man
BATEN KAITOS!!!!!!!!!!

omg, omg.....

:O:O:O:O

something, please DO SOMETHING! just make a fucking DS game or whatever but DO NOT let the franchise die!!

Well, I bought Disaster. I'm not terribly concerned about it not getting a sequel.

I hope that Monolith's next Wii game is an RPG. Preferably by the BK team, though it doesn't have to be BK.

Tenbatsu

Vinnk said:
Very true. One game is not enough to make the core gamers happy. But perhaps "less pissed off".

Disaster, Fatal Frame IV, Captain Rainbow, and something like a new Pikmin or (dare I dream) and on-line Excitetruck, THEN they might be at least appeased.

+ Sky Crawlers, Tenchu 4, 428
At least the Japan side is getting decent games, NA is getting shit.

Vinnk

Tenbatsu said:
+ Sky Crawlers, Tenchu 4, 428
At least the Japan side is getting decent games, NA is getting shit.

Yeah, I forgot about those. Isn't NA getting Tenchu 4 though? I played an English version at TGS.

Tenbatsu

Vinnk said:
Yeah, I forgot about those. Isn't NA getting Tenchu 4 though? I played an English version at TGS.
Yeah!
5vg9th

:(

UraMallas

Absolutely yes. Baten Kaitos was kick ass and I want another one. I actually never played the second GCN game so I'll definitely have to pick that up if a third game comes down the pipeline to round out the trilogy.

-WindYoshi- said:
I'm starting to get really tired of NOA's actions.
TAKE SOME DAMN RISKS YOU COCKY ASSHOLES!

They sold so many Wiis, they don't have to release another game in the next year and they'd still have windfall profits.

Absolutely yes. Baten Kaitos was kick ass and I want another one. I actually never played the second GCN game so I'll definitely have to pick that up if a third game comes down the pipeline to round out the trilogy.

Are you serious? You never played BKO? Get it, NOW, it's better than BK in every way.

UraMallas said:
Dude, Baten Kaitos Origins is WAY, WAY, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the original! Go out and buy it now!

vareon said:
Nintendo's best title is about an italian mushroom-eating plumber who saves a princess from being kidnapped by a dinosaur/dragon/turtle/thing who wants to marry her.

Sounds more interesting then saving people from a flood.

Vinnk said:

Less pissed?

These are the people who got jacked off the first half of 08 by Nintendo and before their man juice could dry they got all pissy again ("Wez doomed!!!! Nintendoz forgotz uz!" I remember that time very clearly . . . )

Let me go down the list . . .

D Day - I by no means think people would take to this game in flocks. Seems like a avrg-mediocre game from impressions and people would just look past that like they do AC.
(and lets face it . . .UK has crappy taste in games. They buy loads of crappy stuff along with good stuff so if it doesn't please their "core gamers" it wouldn't please the US gamers. I REALLY find this game funny . . .went from "vaporware!" to "PS2 looking game with mini-games strong together . . . better off vaporware" to " WHY DON'T WE GETZ THIZ TOO?!?!?" )

FF4 - We have no clue as to who is bringing it over.

CR - Never expected that to go past Japan.

New game - I thought we where talking about NoA . .

People are just odd . . . I have actually seen someone say that Nintendo should have held brawl back for X-Mas release over here to "help their lineup".
wsippel said:
It's a Namco IP - I guess they'd have to greenlight it. And wasn't tri-Crescendo heavily involved as well?
I was wondering why people were saying "Nintendo! Greenlight this!".

Death_Born said:
They sold so many Wiis, they don't have to release another game in the next year and they'd still have windfall profits.

Which is exactly why they should be investing some more money bringing more games over and buying new connections!

rezuth

lsslave said:
Its not much of a laughing matter... the company was doing good but now I have lost all faith... I went into this generation a N fanboy and have now almost abandoned my camp... the last game I got for the Wii was Mario Kart when it came out >.<
This is the same as for me.

SabinFigaro said:
Please, please, please give me a new Baten Kaitos. I was wrong all those years ago to dismiss it as another "card RPG', and I now consider one of the finest titles of last gen. Who is in charge to give the go-ahead?!? Give me his/her name!!!

While you have repented of your sins, it is those like you whom have failed Baten Kaitos and put it in the grave where it lies to this day.

Jazzy Network said:
This is the first I've heard of people actually caring about Baiten Kaitos or whatever it's called.

Slither back under your rock.

batbeg

After the abysmal sales of BKO and Disaster, I do not expect sequels to either, which is a shame as they're fucking awesome.

And I still want BK DS, which is probably the only chance of the series ever reviving.

Koren

Kevtones said:
Disaster is probably never coming out here :(
Europe has Disaster, US have Baten Kaitos Origins.

I'd say I'd like to trade... A Wii straight port of Origins for PAL regions would be welcome, actually. Even if the port is as bad as Harvest Moon Magical Melody's.

RpgN

sphinx said:
BATEN KAITOS!!!!!!!!!!

omg, omg.....

:O:O:O:O

something, please DO SOMETHING! just make a fucking DS game or whatever but DO NOT let the franchise die!!

This.

Make it happen nintendo!

zigg

Man, I forgot about the DS possibility. BK3 would be sweet on the DS. Furious card tapping action go!

RpgN

^
In fact, it was announced along with Xenosaga ds and not just a rumor. After a long time of silence, people just forgot about it and it died a slow death.

zigg said:
Man, I forgot about the DS possibility. BK3 would be sweet on the DS. Furious card tapping action go!

Yeah, I remember how it was announced on the ds and felt disappointed after they cancelled the whole thing. A ds version has so much potential :(

ivysaur12

Banned
charlequin said:
Disaster not coming to the US for no fucking reason, Baten Kaitos ready to be developed on Nintendo's okay (aka never), and apparently else nothing in development worth talking about. Awesome. :/

This was exactly my reaction ;_;

EDIT: Ok, so since their time with Nintendo, they've released 3 titles, 2 of them perfectly capable of being marketed in the US yet they haven't come. WTF.

zigg

RpgN said:
In fact, it was announced along with Xenosaga ds and not just a rumor. After a long time of silence, people just forgot about it and it died a slow death.

Yeah, I remember that saga. The last we'd heard was, ironically, in another Cubed³ interview with Monolith, where they said they'd be happy to resume work (IIRC) on Baten Kaitos DS, if only Namco would give the green light...

The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?

wsippel

Banned
AniHawk said:
Why did Nintendo buy these guys again? Because they could?
It gives Nintendo access to some NBGI IPs without any licensing issues (NBGI still owns a small part of the studio), as well as some exclusives. It's similar to the TGDS deal with Square back in the day I'd say, basically Nintendos way of moneyhatting exclusives. Monolith still develops for NBGI after all, but the games have to be Nintendo exclusive. I expect at least one of the Wii games they're working on to be a Namco game - maybe Xenosaga or SRW, maybe even the next Tales.

Cheerilee

AniHawk said:
Why did Nintendo buy these guys again? Because they could?
As I recall, back in the GameCube days, Nintendo and Bandai both had the same banker handling their money for them, Bandai was on the ropes, and Nintendo was famously able to earn money on anything they did (even failures), so the banker suggested that Nintendo should take over Bandai that way Yamauchi could step in and turn Bandai around.

To do this, the bank bought up as much of Bandai's loose stock as they could in Nintendo's name, and when Nintendo was one of the biggest shareholders, proposed the idea of the president stepping down from his position and selling enough of his stock to give controlling interest to Nintendo.

Bandai's president said that Nintendo ownership would jeopardize his company's vital relations with Sony, and that Yamauchi would drag Bandai down along with Nintendo (who was doomed, obviously) rather than save it, and that he'd fight any takeover attempt. So Nintendo and the bank gave up on the idea. And Bandai merged with Namco.

Nintendo presumably sold the Bandai (turned Namco-Bandai) stock they had picked up in the endeavor to whoever it is that's currently in charge of Namco-Bandai, in order to strengthen their leadership position, and Nintendo was paid with Monolith stock.

THIS is one of the stories that piss me off. >_>

Release the f**king game Reggie, why did they bring them into the family if they don't plan to release anything in America?!?

Stop being so stubborn, just because Disaster is there on a shelf doesn't mean its gonna take up all the spaces for your precious Wii Music crap.

>_>

I love Monolith Soft, the way their games are getting treated by the NOA/Reggie is down right disgraceful. Would be over the moon to see a new Baten Kaitos.... but at this rate it wouldn't even be translated and released here so what the f**king point of anticipating it.

I assumed they had all sorts of cool stuff in the works and Nintendo got them for a reason, now after reading that it just seems they purchased them for who knows what. It certainly wasn't to get some good hardcore stuff out there like I thought. More like to make games so they can just ignore and not release in English for no reason and then sit around and do lots of nothing by the sounds of it. :|

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
wsippel said:
It gives Nintendo access to some NBGI IPs without any licensing issues (NBGI still owns a small part of the studio), as well as some exclusives. It's similar to the TGDS deal with Square back in the day I'd say, basically Nintendos way of moneyhatting exclusives. Monolith still develops for NBGI after all, but the games have to be Nintendo exclusive. I expect at least one of the Wii games they're working on to be a Namco game - maybe Xenosaga or SRW, maybe even the next Tales.
Huh? Nintendo owns Monolith, how does that great them access to Namco IPs without any licensing issues when it's up to Namco if they want to work with Monolith on a game? Nintendo did not get any IPs when they bought Monolith. This isn't anything like TGDS either, all those people are still at Square-Enix. This was not a way to moneyhat exclusives, Q-Fund on the other hand was.

ruby_onix said:
As I recall, back in the GameCube days, Nintendo and Bandai both had the same banker handling their money for them, Bandai was on the ropes, and Nintendo was famously able to earn money on anything they did (even failures), so the banker suggested that Nintendo should take over Bandai that way Yamauchi could step in and turn Bandai around.

To do this, the bank bought up as much of Bandai's loose stock as they could in Nintendo's name, and when Nintendo was one of the biggest shareholders, proposed the idea of the president stepping down from his position and selling enough of his stock to give controlling interest to Nintendo.

Bandai's president said that Nintendo ownership would jeopardize his company's vital relations with Sony, and that Yamauchi would drag Bandai down along with Nintendo (who was doomed, obviously) rather than save it, and that he'd fight any takeover attempt. So Nintendo and the bank gave up on the idea. And Bandai merged with Namco.

Nintendo presumably sold the Bandai (turned Namco-Bandai) stock they had picked up in the endeavor to whoever it is that's currently in charge of Namco-Bandai, in order to strengthen their leadership position, and Nintendo was paid with Monolith stock.
What in the world? When did this happen? :lol

Seriously, when did this happen? I remember Nintendo saying they had no intention of buying Bandai when they bought that small percent of Bandai stock. It wasn't even 3% if I remember correctly.

JCX

BKO's sales aren't really reason for there not to be a third. I was shocked that there was a BKO because of how badly the first sold.

Top Bottom