• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft inteview: The future of Disaster, possibility of new Baten Kaitos

Burli

Pringo
Flying_Phoenix said:
Not too surprised. Not to troll but Disaster always sounded...stupid. I mean really I game about fighting through natural disasters? What?

I don't see your point, just look at the number of films about characters fighting their way through natural disasters.

I reeeeally don't see your point.

wsippel

Banned
jj984jj said:
Huh? Nintendo owns Monolith, how does that great them access to Namco IPs without any licensing issues when it's up to Namco if they want to work with Monolith on a game? Nintendo did not get any IPs when they bought Monolith. This isn't anything like TGDS either, all those people are still at Square-Enix. This was not a way to moneyhat exclusives, Q-Fund on the other hand was.
NBGI still owns shares. 400, to be more precise. Nintendo owns 1920. Nintendo didn't buy any IPs, but Monolith may still use NBGI IPs - see SRW for example. TGDS was partially owned by Nintendo as well, and created games based on Square IPS, but they had to be Nintendo exclusive.

AniHawk

ruby_onix said:
As I recall, back in the GameCube days, Nintendo and Bandai both had the same banker handling their money for them, Bandai was on the ropes, and Nintendo was famously able to earn money on anything they did (even failures), so the banker suggested that Nintendo should take over Bandai that way Yamauchi could step in and turn Bandai around.

To do this, the bank bought up as much of Bandai's loose stock as they could in Nintendo's name, and when Nintendo was one of the biggest shareholders, proposed the idea of the president stepping down from his position and selling enough of his stock to give controlling interest to Nintendo.

Bandai's president said that Nintendo ownership would jeopardize his company's vital relations with Sony, and that Yamauchi would drag Bandai down along with Nintendo (who was doomed, obviously) rather than save it, and that he'd fight any takeover attempt. So Nintendo and the bank gave up on the idea. And Bandai merged with Namco.

Nintendo presumably sold the Bandai (turned Namco-Bandai) stock they had picked up in the endeavor to whoever it is that's currently in charge of Namco-Bandai, in order to strengthen their leadership position, and Nintendo was paid with Monolith stock.

Very interesting. I had forgotten about their attempts to take over Bandai in the past. Thanks for the info.

ruby_onix said:
Bandai's president said that Nintendo ownership would jeopardize his company's vital relations with Sony, and that Yamauchi would drag Bandai down along with Nintendo (who was doomed, obviously) rather than save it, and that he'd fight any takeover attempt. So Nintendo and the bank gave up on the idea. And Bandai merged with Namco.
Poor president of ex Bandai company, he doesn't get to swim in gold pools with Yamauchi.

Cheerilee

jj984jj said:
What in the world? When did this happen? :lol

Seriously, when did this happen? I remember Nintendo saying they had no intention of buying Bandai when they bought that small percent of Bandai stock. It wasn't even 3% if I remember correctly.
I think they had no intention of forcing themselves on Bandai (Yamauchi was thinking about retiring, not taking on a new challenge). And the company was supposedly really fragmented. The president was the one with the most stock out of anyone, and he only had like 4-5%.

Nintendo's 3% was what was needed to get Yamauchi in the room with a prominent chair at the shareholders table, so the banker could suggest a new leader.

Haruspex

Banned
I would love a new Baten Kaitos, I'd also love to get hold of Baten Kaitos Origins eventually... damn being in Europe. I'd be tempted to buy Disaster if I see it on the cheap as a guilty pleasure but there is such a giant rift between the concept and the cheesy, worse than a mindless Hollywood action-flick execution.

Still surprised it wasn't released in the US yet, seems like the type of game that would go down well.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
wsippel said:
NBGI still owns shares. 400, to be more precise. Nintendo owns 1920. Nintendo didn't buy any IPs, but Monolith may still use NBGI IPs - see SRW for example.
Namco still works with Monolith because of that small ownership but it's up to them what IPs Monolith use, not the other way around. It does not give Nintendo access to any NBGI IPs, that's definitely not the reason why they bought the company.

zigg

JCX9 said:
BKO's sales aren't really reason for there not to be a third. I was shocked that there was a BKO because of how badly the first sold.

Well, yeah, there's that. In retrospect, I figure they greenlit it anyway because the perception at the time was that more risky strategies were acceptable given GameCube's performance.

Today... not so much.

I have a feeling Namco's only reason for having some shares in Monolith still is to have a slice of whatever success Monolith has on Nintendo systems, and they can always "loan" any of their IP's to Monolith under the influence of Nintendo.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm extremely disappointed with what Nintendo is doing with Monolith... The Wii is the #1 home system in Japan, and has a disappointing lack of RPGs coming for the platform, I expected them to acquire Monolith and have them start popping out RPGs left and right. What I wouldn't give for a BK3 on Wii, would make up for Wii Music and all these carnival games and Bratz Ponyz games coming out on the platform.

jesusraz

zigg said:
Yeah, I remember that saga. The last we'd heard was, ironically, in another Cubed³ interview with Monolith, where they said they'd be happy to resume work (IIRC) on Baten Kaitos DS, if only Namco would give the green light...

The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?
Glad somebody remembered that :) Yeah, it was the same interview where they said the Baten Kaitos DS project had started and been stopped, but they strongly wanted to restart it.

Here's the link to the old interview.

Here's an interesting quote from it:

Cubed³: How long has the game actually been in production and how large was the team working on it? Also, what was the deciding factor to continue work on a new BK after the original Baten Kaitos?

Hirohide Sugiura: It took 18 months to develop and about 50 developers were involved. Since the original Baten Kaitos game was highly regarded by the users, we wanted to respond to them. That was the deciding factor.
In the new interview it's said the team for Disaster was bigger than that of the BK games. Also, clearly they listen to the fan response, which bodes well.

He also said "At present, we do not have concrete plan to produce Baten Kaitos for Wii. However, there are several on-going titles exclusively for the Nintendo format. Please look forward to them." So nothing's changed there - no sign of BK Wii yet (Play on Wii versions of BK and BKO first, possibly?), and still talk of 'Wii projects'.

The team decided right from the start that Disaster should focus on the single-player only mode, without any multiplayer or Wi-Fi features, yet Sugiura previously said "I think [ WiiConnect24 ] is an amazing concept. We will be able to make it clear how the function will be utilised in the game when the on-going titles are announced. We would rather refrain from commenting on the details at this point in time, since our competitors seem to be in the process of the development of their software." So clearly something that could feature in its other Wii projects.

JCX

zigg said:
Well, yeah, there's that. In retrospect, I figure they greenlit it anyway because the perception at the time was that more risky strategies were acceptable given GameCube's performance.

Today... not so much.

yeah, but considering when BKO was released, it was pretty much sent to die. It should have been held over as a Wii launch title and marketed for the "core" gamer.

jesusraz said:
Glad somebody remembered that :) Yeah, it was the same interview where they said the Baten Kaitos DS project had started and been stopped, but they strongly wanted to restart it.

He also said "At present, we do not have concrete plan to produce Baten Kaitos for Wii. However, there are several on-going titles exclusively for the Nintendo format. Please look forward to them." So nothing's changed there - no sign of BK Wii yet (Play on Wii versions of BK and BKO first, possibly?), and still talk of 'Wii projects'.

ziw2ef.gif

A Wii version of BK/BKO would be good enough for me.

zigg

JCX9 said:
yeah, but considering when BKO was released, it was pretty much sent to die. It should have been held over as a Wii launch title and marketed for the "core" gamer.

Man, just thinking about the number of people who would have played BKO just because it was a launch-window RPG makes me weep.

I bet it would have guaranteed BK3, too, at least in Japan--though Reggie'd still be a tough nut to crack. He loves his Wii X and Mario Does Activity Y.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I would slay kittens and drink their blood for a new BK. That said, this news is tenuous at best. :(

Mdk7

Can't wait to read more, Disaster is such a little underappreciated gem!

And if someone opens a petition asking for Disaster 2 i'll gladly sign it.
Let them hear our voice!!
Support Dizasutaaaa!

wsippel

Banned
jj984jj said:
Namco still works with Monolith because of that small ownership but it's up to them what IPs Monolith use, not the other way around. It does not give Nintendo access to any NBGI IPs, that's definitely not the reason why they bought the company.
Sure. Just like NBGI can't order Monolith to develop a certain game without Nintendo greenlighting it. But it's much simpler that way, less legal (and probably financial) issues. And someone from Nintendo actually mentioned this as a reason for the buyout in an interview shortly after the acquisition if I remember correctly.

Ranger X

I think Nintendo missed the memo about not being forced to invest into 500k copies.

They could release Disaster here at like 150k.

Sadist

I want my Baten Kaitos Wii :(

And if you guys are porting old Cube titles to Wii, include Baten Katen Origins please.

dacuk

Flying_Phoenix said:
Not too surprised. Not to troll but Disaster always sounded...stupid. I mean really I game about fighting through natural disasters? What?

Have you played it?

No?

OK, then stop making stupid assumptions about it
After playing it for more than 8 hrs. I can tell you it's much better than 80% of Wii's lineup for this Christmas in America.

ivysaur12

Banned
Nintendo should really "Play for Wii" the two Baten Kaitos games, or at least Origins. Origins should have been a Wii launch title, any how. It was a really poor decision to keep it on the Gamecube.

Everyone here should e-mail Nintendo that we want Disaster in the States! >=( Yamagami has the right idea--we need to let them know, goddammit, even if what he said doesn't actually relate to this! I know I want to share my thoughts with Monolith on Disaster and if I want a sequel...but I can't, for obvious reasons.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp

Do it!

Also, thanks very much for the link, jesusraz!

And hey, they may actually be bringing it over...what if this is the game that guy from Tree House was surprised to be working on? Of course, that's just a guess--a very optimistic one; you can't blame me, though!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
ivysaur12 said:
Nintendo should really "Play for Wii" the two Baten Kaitos games, or at least Origins. Origins should have been a Wii launch title, any how. It was a really poor decision to keep it on the Gamecube.
Yes, poor Europe didn't get it :(. And I want to play it :(

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
dragonlife29 said:
Everyone here should e-mail Nintendo that we want Disaster in the States! >=( Yamagami has the right idea--we need to let them know, goddammit, even if what he said doesn't actually relate to this! I know I want to share my thoughts with Monolith on Disaster and if I want a sequel...but I can't, for obvious reasons.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp

Do it!

Also, thanks very much for the link, jesusraz!

And hey, they may actually be bringing it over...what if this is the game that guy from Tree House was surprised to be working on? Of course, that's just a guess--a very optimistic one; you can't blame me, though!
If you mail them,
don't
try being witty. Like this:
Dear Nintendo of America,
Is Dizasutaaa: Day of Crisis for the Wii ever going to come out in the US?
There's plenty of people waiting for the game, and unfortunately the Wii isn't exactly import-friendly.
Please, consider distributing it in what is supposedly its biggest market.
Thanks.

^
^
I just sent your message, but i have edited it a little ...:

Dear Nintendo of America,
Is Disaster: Day of Crisis for the Wii ever going to come out in the US or have a US version released?
I don't live in America but my country imports US versions of Wii games, My Wii is American so it is not possible for it to play an import version of it in my system.
Please, consider distributing it in what is considered to be it is target market, and for me and the people around the world that have American Wiis to be able to enjoy it.
Thanks.

Stink

so, to summarise,

- The future of Disaster: it has none
- The possibility of new Baten Kaitos: status unchanged

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
what the heck is so appealing about Disaster?

there's only one Monolith game that needs to be brought here, and that would be SOMA BURINGA

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Mr.Wuggles said:
what the heck is so appealing about Disaster?

there's only one Monolith game that needs to be brought here, and that would be SOMA BURINGA

I emailed Ninty asking for both >.>

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
alright, i sent them a message, here it is:

To whom it may concern,

Hello, I'm a long time consumer of Nintendo products and as of late I have been quite pleased with much of what the Wii has had to offer me as a high tier consumer with his finger on the pulse of the video game industry. However, comments from NOA executives over the past few months have confused me as to future actions concerning various intellectual properties. Firstly, there is question of the fourth game in the Fatal Frame franchise. Techmo, the company that published the first three Fatal Frame titles in the United States, made comments at E3 about NOA being the ones to publish this game domestically as NCL did in Japan. Later, Reggie Fils-Aime, president of NOA when asked about this game early last month, suggested to talk to the game's publisher, which implied that Nintendo would not be the one to publish this game in the United states. I was hoping for clarification on exactly who is publishing this game domestically, Nintendo of America or Techmo.

Secondly, I was also looking for a comment about the state of Disaster: Day of Crisis for release to US shores. I have heard that sales in Europe were not immensely favorable, though I was still hoping that the subject matter alone would make the game a good filler release for later next year in the US. I would be very interested in purchasing the game should I have the opportunity to.

Finally, I was hoping to discover any sort of update regarding the DS title, Soma Bringer. There were promises to look into the matter, so I was hoping for any updates that may be available regarding a domestic release. Thank you for your time and attention.

Best regards,
[my name]
lets see if they bite...

[Nintex]

Dear Nintendo fan,

Please look forward to the next thrilling games like <subject not found> and <database_error_409> and continue to enjoy countless classics like Super Mario Galaxy(tm) and Super Smash Bros. Brawl(tm). Nintendo wants to bring more smiles to more faces, thanks for your support and happy thanksgiving.

Regards,
Your friends at Nintendo

Axalon

[Nintex] said:
Dear Nintendo fan,

Please look forward to the next thrilling games like <subject not found> and <database_error_409> and continue to enjoy countless classics like Super Mario Galaxy(tm) and Super Smash Bros. Brawl(tm). Nintendo wants to bring more smiles to more faces, thanks for your support and happy thanksgiving.

Regards,
Your friends at Nintendo
:lol

djtiesto said:
I'm extremely disappointed with what Nintendo is doing with Monolith... The Wii is the #1 home system in Japan, and has a disappointing lack of RPGs coming for the platform, I expected them to acquire Monolith and have them start popping out RPGs left and right. What I wouldn't give for a BK3 on Wii, would make up for Wii Music and all these carnival games and Bratz Ponyz games coming out on the platform.
At present, we do not have concrete plan to produce Baten Kaitos for Wii. However, there are several on-going titles exclusively for the Nintendo format. Please look forward to them
Yeah . . . wait for them.

OMG i got a message back!

Hello,

I'm pleased to report that Disaster: Day of Crisishas been announced for North America, but no release date yet.

For future reference, our website's Game Guide (http://www.nintendo.com/games/guide) represents the best place to find the most accurate release dates. Once there, use the questions in the left column to narrow your search based on system, genre, online play, etc.

When you have narrowed your search, click on the game's title to see all the available information. If what you seek is not yet available, please check back later. When there is new information to share on announced games or other upcoming products, our website is the best official source!

Remember, any posted release dates are estimates and subject to change. As a product's estimated release date approaches, you may wish to check with your local retailers to see when it may be available in your area.

Sincerely,

Dervin Camden
Nintendo of America Inc.

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/
Power Line (Automated Product Info): (425) 885-7529
o_O

Are they lying or not?!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
SilverLunar said:
OMG i got a message back!

o_O

Are they lying or not?!
o_O

Screencap please

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it that email means nothing. Since they showed the game at E3 it obviously is in their systems as "announced". But with no release date set its still as good as unannounced

Top Bottom