• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft inteview: The future of Disaster, possibility of new Baten Kaitos

This comes from Cubed3. The full interview will be posted in a couple of days. For now, we have some interesting pieces of information.

Firstly, Yamagami expressed his disappointment about the poor sales of Disaster.

First up some bad news: Given how Reginald Fils-Aime does not seem to be Disaster's biggest fan, waiting on sales of the game to come in before green-lighting a US release, the obvious question had to be about how the game has performed so far. Sadly Hitoshi Yamagami, Producer at Nintendo, confirmed many people's worst fears. Unfortunately it seems that the game is "performing lower than expected". He did go on to state that "Regardless of the region, "'DISASTER' can be enjoyed by any consumer that loves 'disaster' style movies." So perhaps Reggie should take that into consideration and appease those in the US grieving over the possibility of not getting their hands on such a highly entertaining game.

However, Disaster may nevertheless have a future, possibly on the DS.

There is some hope for the future of Disaster, with fans potentially set to see Raymond Bryce make a return. Whilst discussing the Day of Crisis' various gameplay approaches, Keiichi Ono, Director at Monolith Soft, let the following slip, "...there were so many wonderful options [ in the game ]. We would like to see the possibility for them, if we have chance to develop the sequel..." Interestingly enough, Ono-san also mulled over the idea of a DS version when asked, responding by saying the team "can consider [ a DS version ] if we have many requests." He did say, however, that the game is obviously more suited to a home console because of the grand nature of its premise, but at least the suggestion was not completely dismissed.

Interestingly enough, the concept for a sequal is already in place, but bringing it to life won't be that easy.

Yamagami-san later went on to confirm that a concept for the sequel is already in place (Disaster: World at Crisis anyone?), yet it will go no further than that early stage unless fans raise their voices and gamers rush out and buy more copies of the original.

Monolith appears to have more than one project underway, and for fans of BK (like me), they'll be pleased to hear that Baten Kaitos may return.

Finally, it was hinted at that Monolith has more than one Wii project underway, plus the team is "willing to start developing Baten Kaitos" when given the go-ahead.

Interesting stuff. Seems a lot of it rests on Nintendo's decisions.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Im still waiting for my freaking Soma Bringer... and Disaster... and SCREW YOU NOA AND YOUR SHITTY FUCKING RELEASES

ksamedi

Pitty Disaster din't do so well. It really is a good game. I think Nintendo should give it a shot in the US. Its perfect for that audiance. Why they chose Europe over the US to test the waters is a complete mystery to me.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
yoopoo said:
Disaster could've done decent in US, much better than Wii Music.

Reggie be a jerk...hoho.

Its not much of a laughing matter... the company was doing good but now I have lost all faith... I went into this generation a N fanboy and have now almost abandoned my camp... the last game I got for the Wii was Mario Kart when it came out >.<

It'd be cool if one of the games for wii was an original RPG. Failing that, a proper non-stadium-like Pokemon game would be nice.
Disaster is good fun, I'm sure it'll come stateside eventually.

Please, please, please give me a new Baten Kaitos. I was wrong all those years ago to dismiss it as another "card RPG', and I now consider one of the finest titles of last gen. Who is in charge to give the go-ahead?!? Give me his/her name!!!

Kevtones

Disaster is probably never coming out here :(

NA had such a thin lineup this fall. They could've used this game and it would've sold well here. I really want to play it.

saunderez

ksamedi said:
Why they chose Europe over the US to test the waters is a complete mystery to me.
Why they would release a game in only one region is the big mystery. It's not like they need to localise it, they already did it in multiple languages for Europe. Pure stupidity on behalf of NOA. Just press the discs and get it out there.

carlos

Fuu said:
Watch NoA not localizing a new Baten Kaitos.

They're planning to do to BK fans what they did to Mother fans :(

Anyway, I'm currently enjoying Soma Bringer, and while it's nothing ground breaking, it's good fun if you have a couple of buddies to play with.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
carlos said:
They're planning to do to BK fans what they did to Mother fans :(

Anyway, I'm currently enjoying Soma Bringer, and while it's nothing ground breaking, it's good fun if you have a couple of buddies to play with.

I don't want ground breaking, the fact it reminds me on all accounts of SoM is why I am excited about it

Seriously, if Soma Bringer doesn't make it over I am going to literally spaz >.< I hyped up about that game so much thinking its 2nd party we might get it

Nintendo is going back to their NES/SNES era bullshit... FUCK THIS... Reggie you better fucking release these 2 games or else step down because your too fucking lame to bring over games people want... at least let fucking Atlus do it!

RedBoot

It's so frustrating to see them lament the poor sales of Disaster when I sit here wanting to buy the damn game if they'd just give me the chance. And I know I'm not the only one doing this.

If Nintendo doesn't hurry and announce Soma Bringer for NA they're going to drive me to finally buy an R4 because of the fan-translation. And I won't be deleting my Homebrew Channel anytime soon if Disaster doesn't come here either.

That's right Nintendo, I'm threatening you.

Abel

A new Baten Kaitos for the Wii would be godly! Do it Monolith! :D

A new Xeno would be nice too ;D

"willing to start developing Baten Kaitos" when given the go-ahead.

2e0i6h4.gif

Come on, give them the go ahead! THE GO AHEAD!

DAMN YOU NINTENDOOOOOOO@

hokahey

RedBoot said:
It's so frustrating to see them lament the poor sales of Disaster when I sit here wanting to buy the damn game if they'd just give me the chance. And I know I'm not the only one doing this.

Exactly. How ridiculous. Why show it at E3 if if it's not coming to the US? How much sould it possibly cost to bring it over here if it's out in EU?

jay

I emailed NoA today asking for Disaster and Fatal Frame. I figure they were waiting to hear from me before greenlighting anything.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Not too surprised. Not to troll but Disaster always sounded...stupid. I mean really I game about fighting through natural disasters? What?
Pitch lines aren't everything... Saving the princess doesn't sound quite exciting either

lsslave

Jew Gamer
jay said:
I emailed NoA today asking for Disaster and Fatal Frame. I figure they were waiting to hear from me before greenlighting anything.

What address did you use to contact them? I should do the same about Soma Bringer and Disaster!

Semantic Continuum said:
Pitch lines aren't everything... Saving the princess doesn't sound quite exciting either

Zelda or Mario?

vareon

Flying_Phoenix said:
Not too surprised. Not to troll but Disaster always sounded...stupid. I mean really I game about fighting through natural disasters? What?

Nintendo's best title is about an italian mushroom-eating plumber who saves a princess from being kidnapped by a dinosaur/dragon/turtle/thing who wants to marry her.

Minsc

Gold Member
Finally, it was hinted at that Monolith has more than one Wii project underway, plus the team is "willing to start developing Baten Kaitos" when given the go-ahead.

:lol :lol :lol

Wait... that can't be enough. Nintendo give the go-ahead? :lol :lol :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Sounds like they're still waiting for Namco to give BK another go, or for Nintendo to license it again but I doubt they're going to do that now that they own the company and can make/push a new IP they'll own instead.

Lich_King

Seeing how many games underperformed this fall, I think it might have been a good business strategy to delay release of Disaster. I want that game, but right now I wouldn't have had any time for it :(
I just hope they delayed it, not canceled

jay

lsslave said:
What address did you use to contact them? I should do the same about Soma Bringer and Disaster!

I used the online contact form so you know it goes straight to Reggie.

duckroll

Not a very encouraging interview I have to say. Even though we don't have the full thing yet, it seems that they still aren't ready to announce any new RPG yet, and are just mostly lamenting that Disaster isn't doing too well and there's no new BK in development. :/

And please people, stop the Matsuno crap, it's unfounded and it makes me sad. :(

OMG!!!! Nintendo, you better give the go-ahead for a new Baten Kaitos! I swear to freakin' GOD that if I don't see another one I will e-mail you constantly until you know my goddamn name! You buy most of Monolith Soft, yet can't give us any of their products [in a reasonable time frame] (If at all)!?

And yeah, I'm pissed about Disaster as well; It's one of the titles I've been looking forward to the most since its announcement. If Reggie doesn't think it's a $50 game, then give it to to us at $40, or even $35, for fuck's sake!

Irrelevant, but where's my Elite Beat Agents 2!?

Nintendo, as a huge fan of yours, I will keep hope that you will be the new Baten Kaitos's publisher; if not, give the go-ahead and let someone else publish it, like, say, Namco Bandai/Atlus!

Can't wait for the rest of the interview! Seriously, when I saw the title I gasped like a little girl...then the sadness creeped in D:

markatisu

Disaster is awesome, been playing it all week!

With only Animal Crossing and Wii Music out at the holidays I do not see why they could throw Disaster out there. Its already in English and seriously could not do any worse then the 20k it did in Japan and whatever sad number it did in the EU

I wish someone else had purchased them. NoA will never give us Baten Kaitos 3 even if Monolithsoft is allowed to make it which they won't be.

Disaster not coming to the US for no fucking reason, Baten Kaitos ready to be developed on Nintendo's okay (aka never), and apparently else nothing in development worth talking about. Awesome. :/

justchris

I don't know, the comments make it seem like they're working on multiple projects already, so they wouldn't necessarily have time for Baten Kaitos right now anyway. And we only know about one project Monolithsoft is working on right now.

As for Disaster & NOA, I want to believe NOA is sacrificing this holiday season to prevent any future draughts with a constant stream of releases over the next 3 years, but that would require some form of optimism, which I'm just not comfortable with.

duckroll said:
And please people, stop the Matsuno crap, it's unfounded and it makes me sad. :(

Seriously, everyone knows Matsuno is working with IntSys.

Top Bottom