• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disaster: Day of Crisis Official Thread of bears, salmon and marketing DIZASUTAAAA!!!

Edit: to not sound like I'm being a dick, it takes <5 minutes to mod your Wii and make it region free.

Interesting, but what happens if one day I have to send the Wii in to Nintendo for repairs? What happens with the VC/WW games? Do I lose everything because of "illegal" conduct? Maybe I should already stop buying VC/WW games?

wackojackosnose said:
Interesting, but what happens if one day I have to send the Wii in to Nintendo for repairs? What happens with the VC/WW games? Do I lose everything because of "illegal" conduct? Maybe I should already stop buying VC/WW games?

it only needs a SD card, no fancy physical hacks

MoogPaul

well, apparently the new wii update can run homebrew channel if homebrew is already on the wii but will not install homebrew on a system that didn't already have it. confusing, i know.

Anasui Kishibe said:
it only needs a SD card, no fancy physical hacks

No physical hacks but there are definately 3rd party software sign in logs left in the Wii system that (so far I've read) cannot be erased. This coupled with my slightly old Wii leaves me paranoid about losing my VC/WW games if the system is ever in need of repairs.

Hmm... So much monetary risk for the ability to buy even more games...

Thanks for the answer though.

wackojackosnose said:
No physical hacks but there are definately 3rd party software sign in logs left in the Wii system that (so far I've read) cannot be erased. This coupled with my slightly old Wii leaves me paranoid about losing my VC/WW games if the system is ever in need of repairs.
I'm really worried about that as well.

I really want to play Disaster and the new Capcom vs game, but I think it breaks the Terms of Service and I dont think Nintendo would do a repair/transfer for me. I have almost $100 in VC/WiiWare titles and it's not worth losing.

I have a day one Wii thats very noisy when playing games like SSBB. Untill somebody can confirm Nintendo will still work on my Wii I will just go without.

ha ha!!
What a great game, very nice looking too.
Some of the tutorials are really funny.

"Do not touch Fire, You will lose LIFE and die"

"Sprint rather than walk/run through smoke, this way it will not affect you"

Aside from the cheesiness of it, its a very good game, and USA really are missing out

Vagabundo

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

I really want to play Disaster and the new Capcom vs game, but I think it breaks the Terms of Service and I dont think Nintendo would do a repair/transfer for me. I have almost $100 in VC/WiiWare titles and it's not worth losing.

I have a day one Wii thats very noisy when playing games like SSBB. Untill somebody can confirm Nintendo will still work on my Wii I will just go without.

Not sure if Nintendo actually care, there are reports of soft modded wii going in for repair and coming back with everthing on it.. And there is a way of loading the Wii into a safe mode, this will leave no trail. It is a button combo at start up.

Capndrake

Beat it earlier today (Got it yesterday). About 10 hours long, but loads of replay value - Tons of collectibles and stuff to unlock (Costumes, game modes, shooting galleries, weapons, upgrades, etc.). Aside from the somewhat stiff controls during the exploration sections it's really pretty damn good. Probably my favourite Wii game this year so far (Yes I like it more than SSBB).

markatisu

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

I confirmed it a few weeks back, just check the Homebrew thread. I sent my unit in after installing Homebrew and they fixed it with no problems. All my games are there

Dont know what else to say as I am living proof they just don't care about the homebrew channel

[Nintex]

I tried it yesterday and although it's not at a bad game it isn't great either. I liked the idea and exploration parts, jumping around disaster areas escaping all kinds of shit, pretty awesome. But the shooting parts are terrible and the graphics are a mixed bag. Some effects look cool while indoor textures are muddy.

markatisu said:
Dont know what else to say as I am living proof they just don't care about the homebrew channel
That's really encouraging, thanks.

I think I might call them today and just ask. See what their official stance on unofficial apps is and what it means in regard to my purchases.

Also quick question, do Euro Wii games come in normal sized cases or some kind of ugly case like your DS games.

later

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
That's really encouraging, thanks.

I think I might call them today and just ask. See what their official stance on unofficial apps is and what it means in regard to my purchases.

Also quick question, do Euro Wii games come in normal sized cases or some kind of ugly case like your DS games.

Err, if you are going to call them ofcourse they're going to say it's not allowed. What that person most likely meant is that they do not actively look for the homebrew channel on your system.

Ok, Monolith are ultra fans of The Rock. This game is a fucking copy paste, and in a good way. Theres an intro were Colonel Haynes is Ed Harris talking to the president in the movie, they say nearly exactly the same things. :lol

Really, this game is adictive and awesome.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
MoogPaul said:
Has there been any/much advertising for the game in Euroland?
Just saw the commercial, which actually brought me to this thread. When I heard the Wii sound you always hear at the beginning I thought it would be another one of those nongames. But damn, that commercial was good. Really made me want to play it, actually seemed like the first mature commercial for the Wii.

Guess I'll be checking this out tomorrow. Totally forgot about this game too :D

Haunted

Got a chance to try the first couple levels - I'd call this the spiritual sequel to Operation Winback if the combat were freeform instead of on rails. Tries to make up for that with the whole disaster backdrop, and also injects a bit of much needed diversity in the form of various rescue operations and QTEs... eh, overall I kinda liked it.

Generally feels like one of those action B-movies from the late 80's/90's (which I love :D ). Solid title, I'd give it a 6.5-7/10 or something.

Haunted

And two more things

- The tsunami is fucking epic, they did a great job with that.

- The standout part of the game is the music. The main theme is extremely catchy.

Magazine commercials (I hope this is not banned, if not I will take them):
06182728e2421e5eac5740fd32e88836200.jpg

ce807cc6370bd7799b6ac4d658e532cd200.jpg

ddocea.jpg

ecierif said:

The gameplay note is stupid, the game is really adictive, its strange at first, but then its feels very good. Not talking about sound, but only for the music its not a 5 in sound. Music is epic and awesome.

Its a 7.5-8 game in my opinion, giving it a 5 is pathetic. BTW magazines (online also) in europe are giving it better scores.

krakov

Got the game today. Seems like a mixed bag as expected. Having fun though.
I'm currently stuck at the running part where they first introduce the speed boost. Can't seem to get past it no matter how much I waggle. Is there some kind of trick I'm missing?

In a spanish forum where I am a member, all the opinions are VERY possitive, a lot of people are having lots of fun with the game (as I am), and thats the most important thing in gaming IMO.

BTW, Ray has to be in Smash 4, take Solid Snake and put Ray in his place, even if it has its same moves, it doesnt matter, but Ray has to be in that game, you hear me SAKURAIII!!!

Netto-kun said:
I like how almost all the comments are disagreeing with the reviewer.:lol

ALL the comments are telling the reviewer is wrong:lol
An Excitetruck case it seems. The press is saying is a mediocre game (well, it really has 7.5-8 of score in nearly all the reviews ive saw, this is the one that gives the lowest score) but the people that have bought it are loving the game.

GODDAMN, why is nobody talking about this great game. I am in Level 16 now, what an awesome piece of entertainment. I haven't had such an action-loaded and entertaining experience since Resident Evil 4.

thomaser

JUST finished it, and it's easily one of the most entertaining games this year. Only parts I didn't like that much were a couple of the driving-stages - the rest is gold! Really intense and exciting, and all the various parts mesh together surprisingly well. It's one of the best-looking Wii-games out there - some of the graphical effects are mindblowing, and there are lots of excellent set-pieces. You really get a feeling of being in areas beset by natural disasters. Sound-effects like gunshots, footsteps and so on could be clearer, but apart from that it sounds good.

Got tons of bonuses after finishing, but it seems like there are many, many more. Have anyone cleared the shooting ranges, by the way? They're very, very hard. And one of them is very, very cool :D

thomaser said:
JUST finished it, and it's easily one of the most entertaining games this year. Only parts I didn't like that much were a couple of the driving-stages - the rest is gold! Really intense and exciting, and all the various parts mesh together surprisingly well. It's one of the best-looking Wii-games out there - some of the graphical effects are mindblowing, and there are lots of excellent set-pieces. You really get a feeling of being in areas beset by natural disasters. Sound-effects like gunshots, footsteps and so on could be clearer, but apart from that it sounds good.

Got tons of bonuses after finishing, but it seems like there are many, many more. Have anyone cleared the shooting ranges, by the way? They're very, very hard. And one of them is very, very cool :D

Finally someone sharing my impressions^^ Thank you!

Capndrake

Holy crap @ Real Disaster Mode. One hit from anything in the shooting sections except machine guns will kill you unless you have maximum (Fully upgraded) life :lol

Mission 18 and is just AWESOME. Really, really fun.
Never ever gets the game boring, if you have to visit or go back an area you have been:
1. The game does an intro with more awesome and epic moments
or
2. They give a twist to that zone (this is the most common), they make a disaster come, or they convert a exploring zone to a shooting zone, etc...

And the music, wow, the music. Its so good I cant stop hearing it in my head. Those chorus are really epic.

Go, buy it, NOW! Or Ray will kill all the bears around the world, safe the bears, buy this game!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
15/20 in the latest issue of the french magazine "Joypad". They say it's surprisingly good. I think I'm getting it.

herod

this was the title I bought my Wii for, pretty much. In my imagination it sounded like they'd taken a look at what unique stuff they could do with the Wii controls and built the concept around that, thereby making an awesome and totally new experience.

Turns out they didn't really do anything of the sort. Oh well.

herod said:
this was the title I bought my Wii for, pretty much. In my imagination it sounded like they'd taken a look at what unique stuff they could do with the Wii controls and built the concept around that, thereby making an awesome and totally new experience.

Turns out they didn't really do anything of the sort. Oh well.
Explain.

herod

Jaded Alyx said:

In my head this was the AAA game that was to define the hardcore Wii, and it would be getting epic scores across the board, instead of 73% from NGamer (using this unofficial mag as an example as this is also the median score on metacritic), just for example. Sure the reviews are not always a great reflection of what I'll get from it personally, but they're never as dramatically wrong as some people seem to think, and I was expecting a lot more from this game.

I guess I just let my imagination run riot.

Top Bottom