• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri Official Site Updated

Luigiv

Hero of Legend said:
:(

You sure that face you made isn't of a one-eyed guy smiling with a double chin?
No I am quite sure I'm sad. At least I think I am. I should probably check with my psychiatrist.

Oh man, last Saturday I brought the first Monster Hunter, the PS2 one, and I am just in love with this game. It being my first Monster Hunter experience I didn't know what to expect. But even after a few minutes, I was just in love with the game! It really has that arcade style gameplay that is sorely missing in games today. And for the life of me I just can't put it down! Oh shit this game is just PURE ECSTASY!!

Like others have said before in the thread, I'm also new to the game and after playing this game, I really want to buy a PSP to play the PSP MH games. Now I need to save up some money for a PSP and a Wii as well, all for Monster Hunter! I've seen some vids of the games and I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical of the series as well. But after getting my hands on the original game, I am hooked!!

Count me in baby!!!!! HYYYYYYYYPEEEEEEEEE!!! :D

Carlisle

Count me in for the noob slaughter. Preordered on Amazon, but my cheapass is going super saver. I'll be in probably a week later. I'll be the noob among noobs.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Count me for the newb PAL players.
I might buy Wii Speak if I see there's enough interest about on the pal side of things, after it's being sold for a pittance (like 10/12€ or even cheaper)

Teknoman

Dash Kappei said:
Count me for the newb PAL players.
I might buy Wii Speak if I see there's enough interest about on the pal side of things, after it's being sold for a pittance (like 10/12€ or even cheaper)

If not, just plug in a USB keyboard and you'll be alright.

Also Luigi, post the GAF WFC IRC in the opening post for good measure. That would work great for actual organized hunts, but in game USB keyboard/wii speak would be best for actual communication during hunts.

ShinNL

Van Owen said:
That review has a few really well written parts:
All of this makes Monster Hunter slow-paced and potentially unsuited to Western tastes; generally, we like to be given our entertainment without having to invest a lot of effort. But it also makes it very personal. Because there are no experience points and levels, your every success is the result of your own hard graft, be that collecting and crafting or tooth-and-nail fighting. This should surely be obvious, but you don't play Monster Hunter for the grind. You play it for the thrill, for the rush of adrenaline that almost lifts you off the ground at the end of a forty-five minute battle with a dragon forty times your size. Monster Hunter offers some of the biggest challenges in gaming, and it's worth the pain of constant defeat for the incomparable exhilaration of victory.

Van Owen said:

Trying to play the game with a Wii Remote and Nunchuck, though, is frustrating and disengaging, especially in a game that relies so much on quick reactions and precision timing in battle. Shaking the Remote to unsheathe and having to hold it tilted left or right whilst pressing A is simply far too convoluted to be practical in the midst of battle.

Fuck. There's no Gamecube controller support, right?

Teknoman

Mt Heart Attack said:
Trying to play the game with a Wii Remote and Nunchuck, though, is frustrating and disengaging, especially in a game that relies so much on quick reactions and precision timing in battle. Shaking the Remote to unsheathe and having to hold it tilted left or right whilst pressing A is simply far too convoluted to be practical in the midst of battle.

Just get the CCpro pack.

monsterhunter3probundle.jpg

EDIT: Like Kafka was saying earlier, a Steam group and using the GAF WFC IRC would be a good idea to cover all bases.

Effect

Mt Heart Attack said:

IGN simply sucks at using the Wii Remote and Nunchuck. They've always have. You don't have to shake your remote to wield your weapon. Every command is mapped to a button last time I checked. Though you might have to lift our remote I think for one or two of the charged attacks. Twisting left and right is easy. No more difficult then moving your finger to hit another button. With the remote you simply twist without having to lose your finger placement. The only issue with the Wii remote I really is really the camera but it's something one would be used to from other games. The classic controller might be better in that regard.

I personally am finding the demo better with the Wii remote. Perhaps because I don't have to focus my heads in one small area but can have them at a more natural distance apart. Your reaction might be quick but it's not like you will be rolling away at at moments notice anyway no matter the controller. You have to be just as deliberate with your actions. Just annoys me that IGN tends to hit on the Wii remote because they tend to suck at using it at times.

Mt Heart Attack said:

Each to their own I guess. If I remember correctly, I turned off the waggle based weapon sheathing in the demo and quite enjoyed the tilt control based attacking. I certainly didn't find it convoluted when I reviewed the demo.

Effect said:
IGN simply sucks at using the Wii Remote and Nunchuck. They've always have. You don't have to shake your remote to wield your weapon. Every command is mapped to a button last time I checked. Though you might have to lift our remote I think for one or two of the charged attacks. Twisting left and right is easy. No more difficult then moving your finger to hit another button. With the remote you simply twist without having to lose your finger placement. The only issue with the Wii remote I really is really the camera but it's something one would be used to from other games. The classic controller might be better in that regard.

I personally am finding the demo better with the Wii remote. Perhaps because I don't have to focus my heads in one small area but can have them at a more natural distance apart. Your reaction might be quick but it's not like you will be rolling away at at moments notice anyway no matter the controller. You have to be just as deliberate with your actions. Just annoys me that IGN tends to hit on the Wii remote because they tend to suck at using it at times.

DragonGirl said:
Each to their own I guess. If I remember correctly, I turned off the waggle based weapon sheathing in the demo and quite enjoyed the tilt control based attacking. I certainly didn't find it convoluted when I reviewed the demo.

Thanks guys, that's reassuring:D

I'm aware of the CC pack, but I'm trying to get this game the cheapest way possibile, seeing that I've got no idea if something like this could appeal to me or not. So if the Wiimote works fine I'd like to stick with it. I wish we had that Gamestop demo in Europe too, though.

Hiltz

Nice!

Good to see that Monster Hunter Tri reviews are receiving good scores. I've been impatiently counting the days left until I can pick up my copy from GameStop.

Hiltz

Hero of Legend said:
Oh right. :p

However, it does look like that Monster Hunter Tri may among the few third-party games to score over 9.0.

Some other third-party games that scored 9.0 or over include the following:

- Guitar Hero 5 - 9.3
- RE 4: Wii Edition- 9.0
- Okami - 9.0
- Rock Band 2 - 9.0
- Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - 9.0
- The Beatles : Rock Band - 9.0
- Tiger Woods: PGA Tour 10 - 9.0
- DJ Hero - 9.0

heringer

I can't help but laugh at the idea of Matt or Craig reviewing a game like Monster Hunter.

I'm curious to see the IGN US review. :lol

Kinosen

Neo Member
The Wiimote+Nunchuck controls are fine, I just use the + button to bring out my weapon and I had no problems with the tilting, felt pretty intuitive to me.

PusherT

Luckydude23 said:
Oh man, last Saturday I brought the first Monster Hunter, the PS2 one, and I am just in love with this game. It being my first Monster Hunter experience I didn't know what to expect. But even after a few minutes, I was just in love with the game! It really has that arcade style gameplay that is sorely missing in games today. And for the life of me I just can't put it down! Oh shit this game is just PURE ECSTASY!!

Like others have said before in the thread, I'm also new to the game and after playing this game, I really want to buy a PSP to play the PSP MH games. Now I need to save up some money for a PSP and a Wii as well, all for Monster Hunter! I've seen some vids of the games and I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical of the series as well. But after getting my hands on the original game, I am hooked!!

Count me in baby!!!!! HYYYYYYYYPEEEEEEEEE!!! :D
MH for PS2 is the best game to learn from IMO:D . Its the least streamlined and you get to learn how to play using PS2 right anologe style controls. Are there going to be any gunners here come the 20th, I still deciding if I want to rock the medium or heavy bowgun. I'm going to on the hunt for my Roarudorosu/Royal Ludroth amor. A good bowmen with some good melee men Long sword/Great Sword to cut those tails, I will stun them you cut them:D

gkryhewy

If I find the demo generally frustrating and dreadful, is there still a chance I'll enjoy the full game? I have it preordered, mostly because I want a cc pro anyway.

gkrykewy said:
If I find the demo generally frustrating and dreadful, is there still a chance I'll enjoy the full game? I have it preordered, mostly because I want a cc pro anyway.
Probably not. Unless you just really really love co-op. I could be wrong but it seems like either you love it or you hate it.

heringer said:
Hum, I'm not familiar with this dude. :D

He used to work for PC IGN, but after PC gaming died, he moved to 360 IGN. He's probably the best person there to review it. His review should be up tomorrow, too. (IGN got the exclusive on the MH review)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
gkrykewy said:

Yes, because you get better at the game.

fernoca

The bundle only comes with a Black Pro..right?

Because I want a White Pro, so..I'll basically trade my current Classic next week when I go to pick up the game..and get a White Pro..and the game.

$45 [game](including the -$5 for preordering) + $15 [White Pro] (assuming they might give $5 of credit, for trading the Classic) = $60..which is what the bundle costs anyway... right?

Tenbatsu

Mt Heart Attack said:

This is bullshit, the rest of the article is fine. They never mention much about the AWESOME armor skills system thou.

Alex

I can't stand the Wii remote controls, I really don't think there's any place for gesture based nonsense in a game like this, but that's the glory of options, everyone can get what they like.

Alex said:
I can't stand the Wii remote controls, I really don't think there's any place for gesture based nonsense in a game like this, but that's the glory of options, everyone can get what they like.
Wiimote: For

I loved Wiimote setting, there's no need to waggle.

gotee12

gkrykewy said:
My 2 cents...

If by "frustrating and dreadful", you're referring to using the Wiimote/Nunchuck, then yes you'll probably still enjoy the full game.

If by "frustrating and dreadful", you're referring to using a classic controller and you still don't like the way the game controls, then you'll probably hate the full game.

It's pretty much a love/hate relationship in respect to one controller type over the other, and if you hate both control types, well....

Everything else in the game (farming, gathering, creating weapons/armor, etc.) is there to build your character up for the next monster hunt. If you couldn't get into hunting and beating the fool out of the Jaggi or Quru, then you're probably not going to enjoy the full game.

Luigiv

Teknoman said:
If not, just plug in a USB keyboard and you'll be alright.

Also Luigi, post the GAF WFC IRC in the opening post for good measure. That would work great for actual organized hunts, but in game USB keyboard/wii speak would be best for actual communication during hunts.
Ok sure, what's the address?

Anyway for those asking, I'll try to get the OT live tonight*... maybe... shut up.

*Tonight by my time zone, GMT+8.

gkryhewy

gotee12 said:
My 2 cents...

If by "frustrating and dreadful", you're referring to using the Wiimote/Nunchuck, then yes you'll probably still enjoy the full game.

If by "frustrating and dreadful", you're referring to using a classic controller and you still don't like the way the game controls, then you'll probably hate the full game.

It's pretty much a love/hate relationship in respect to one controller type over the other, and if you hate both control types, well....

Everything else in the game (farming, gathering, creating weapons/armor, etc.) is there to build your character up for the next monster hunt. If you couldn't get into hunting and beating the fool out of the Jaggi or Quru, then you're probably not going to enjoy the full game.

I tried it with the CC.. I liked the atmosphere, but didn't like the fact that even this first tutorial battle was interminably long and repetitive.

gotee12

gkrykewy said:
I tried it with the CC.. I liked the atmosphere, but didn't like the fact that even this first tutorial battle was interminably long and repetitive.
That's wild. The demo only gives you 20 minutes to beat the quests. In the full game you have 50 minutes for most of the quests. Most folks hate the brevity in the demo and want more time, not a shorter quest...

Tenbatsu said:
I heard the pre order number is not that impressive :/
I thought Gamestop "ran out" of pre-order slots for the US bundle? Did they only have a very limited amount of the bundle to begin with?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I don't like that demo cause it really isn't a good way to introduce people to the series. The real game does a LOT better job at easing you in.

Kevtones

I think the game is going to do pretty well/have considerable legs. I'm new though and I'm FUCKING HYPED. Too bad I may start a new job next week :/

Also, what's this offline coop mentioned? Is it watered down or what?

Matchew

Just played the demo and thought it was pretty cool. I put a pre-order down at amazon. A few question, for each monster do you use different weapons or do you chose one weapon at the beginning of the game and use it for the entire game? Also, the little cat thing that comes out do you trigger him to come out or does he just come and go?

Luigiv

I Push Fat Kids said:
I think the game is going to do pretty well/have considerable legs. I'm new though and I'm FUCKING HYPED. Too bad I may start a new job next week :/

Also, what's this offline coop mentioned? Is it watered down or what?
Yeah, split-screen is only for Arena mode, which makes you use pre-set equipment. It's a shame. I can understand why you can't have split-screen in the main mode but it still would have been nice if we could use our own equipment for Arena mode.

SFGamer said:
Just played the demo and thought it was pretty cool. I put a pre-order down at amazon. A few question, for each monster do you use different weapons or do you chose one weapon at the beginning of the game and use it for the entire game? Also, the little cat thing that comes out do you trigger him to come out or does he just come and go?

You're free to craft weapons of all classes and switch between them at will. The only restriction the armours you can wear will be limited by whether you've equipped a Mellee weapon or a Bowgun.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Luigiv said:
Yeah, split-screen is only for Arena mode, which makes you use pre-set equipment. It's a shame. I can understand why you can't have split-screen in the main mode but it still would have been nice if we could use our own equipment for Arena mode.

Check your PM's foolish fool!

Kevtones

Luigiv said:

Ah man :(

I wanted to play it with my GF :(

Luigiv

Raging Spaniard said:
Check your PM's foolish fool!
Sweet, looks awesome, The crowd is in for nice treat :D.

Edit: Though it's worth pointing out that the equipment you drew on the hunter isn't actually in Tri. Well no big deal :lol.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Luigiv said:
Sweet, looks awesome, The crowd is in for nice treat :D.

Edit: Though it's worth pointing out that the equipment you drew on the hunter isn't actually in Tri. Well no big deal :lol.

Its not? Oh fuck dammit

Top Bottom