• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Shengar

Indeed. I'm the opposite of you guys, next MH I play I'm making a male avatar even though I always make female characters in every RPG. So sick of the atrocious stripper outfits, fuck off Capcom.
With Barioth in the game, I least I would know that there will be good looking armor with acceptable skill (unless they turned it to shit). But without them, I'll be walking on unknown land. I don't want play MH4U as female character only to found there isn't any armor to my liking. Worse when the functional one are limited to the stripperific one.

Maybe I should ask MH4G veterans later about the armors.

PKrockin

The large majority of female armor in 3U at least isn't bikini or stripperiffic. The women are quite reasonably covered. See for yourself. The odd Nargacuga fishnet or Uragaan lack of crotch armor and a few others are the exceptions.

Shengar

The large majority of female armor in 3U at least isn't bikini or stripperiffic. The women are quite reasonably covered. See for yourself. The odd Nargacuga fishnet or Uragaan lack of crotch armor and a few others are the exceptions.

Well, stripperific is a mistake on my part, and excessive to express of what I'm want to say. Maybe I should say "showing skin unnecessarily" instead. Like the example from that Video is Zinogre X. Worse is model disparencies like Hellios Armor.

Thanks for the link though, maybe we can expect to have the MH4U version in near future.

PKrockin

Well, stripperific is a mistake on my part, and excessive to express of what I'm want to say. Maybe I should say "showing skin unnecessarily" instead. Like the example from that Video is Zinogre X. Worse is model disparencies like Hellios Armor.

Thanks for the link though, maybe we can expect to have the MH4U version in near future.
It doesn't seem like a big deal to me that some armors have part of an upper arm, side or thigh showing. Then again I'm not a fan of the bulky armors to begin with. They end up looking like a gundam or something. With the game's setting and gameplay concept how it is, I see hunters as sort of rangers who win against giant wyverns through knowledge and resourceful use of the things found in nature. I like armors that fit that vision. So it's okay to show a little skin or a face revealing there is a human in there who eats, tires, and hangs out at the tavern, rather than trying to pass off like an intimidating death machine.

Oh by the way, fuck Deviljho. That is all.

Malyse

Which is what I meant by sane. Not all, but I've seen much much worse.

Shengar

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me that some armors have part of an upper arm, side or thigh showing. Then again I'm not a fan of the bulky armors to begin with. They end up looking like a gundam or something. With the game's setting and gameplay concept how it is, I see hunters as sort of rangers who win against giant wyverns through knowledge and resourceful use of the things found in nature. I like armors that fit that vision. So it's okay to show a little skin or a face revealing there is a human in there who eats, tires, and hangs out at the tavern, rather than trying to pass off like an intimidating death machine.

Oh by the way, fuck Deviljho. That is all.

My vision isn't far from you, not liking too bulky armor, trying to be immersive as I become a hunter. It just I'm more stricter, want not giving slightest tolerance to unnecessary skin showing :p

I just fought my first Deviljho this week, I must said that it is annoying for having its tail so high up.

Illucio

Banned
The problem with female character is that they have too many bikini armors, while I don't those who aren't have any actual usability in combat.

Females in Monster Hunter universe have this unique power that the more revealing their armor is, the stronger their defense will become.

There are some few exceptions to this law, such as their outfits must be made out of powerful creatures, and that you cannot be nude; as the Great Hunting Cat Gods frown upon this as a way to try and purposely misuse their higher power.

The extra power of defense is simply added on to the standard defense of the armor to make it match it's male counterparts, because the Great Hunting Cat Gods don't discriminate.

And finally if you wanted full body armor, you should had just disguised yourself with a male avatar and named yourself Mulan.

Prototype

Seriously this female armor issue is making its way to monster hunter thread now? Awesome :/ it's not even bad in this game. Wtf.

I guess this is what happens when a community has nothing else to talk about.

Anura

MH4 has plenty of covering and even sensible gear. Kushala stuff pretty much looks like an ornate suit of armor that covers head to toe. The Chameleos stuff looks like a wizard get up and only shows your face (his bow is also a staff with a spell book quiver!). Ukanlos stuff seems covering for the G version but I haven't unlocked the chest part yet so I don't know if it shows cleavage. The Teostra stuff makes you look like royalty but has a goofy skirt thing for blademaster. It seems all the elder dragons have a "traditional" fantasy theming going on.
The rank high fatty stuff covers quite a bit but I haven't unlocked the G stuff yet.

Also I enjoy having the option to look either sensible or crazy depending on my mood. It's a good thing to have both down to earth designs like the Kush armor and insane looking things like the Gore stuff. Most games give me one or the other but not usually both.

Unicorn

Why shouldn't it?

I disagree. It's honestly really bad and certainly not exempt from this criticism.

The above video disagrees. On the whole, Female armors are pretty tasteful. There's less than 10 that could be "skanky." I feel like Narga example doesn't count because even the male version has that fishnetting.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The above video disagrees. On the whole, Female armors are pretty tasteful. There's less than 10 that could be "skanky." I feel like Narga example doesn't count because even the male version has that fishnetting.
"Less than 10", lol, what an accomplishment...!

But let's take a look at this vid. I wanted to give you benefit of doubt, thinking maybe I just got unlucky since I made Wroggi and Narga sets consecutively and perhaps it coloured my perceptions.
And, well... nope, still bad. Sometimes you have to compare with the male one to see how dubious it is because I counted way more than 10 (even by grouping those who are just palette swaps):
- Glacial Agna: female version is skimpier
- Brachy: female blade version has boobplate and cleavage
- Ceadeus, Gold: lol
- Jade Barroth: female blade boob window
- Guild: lol miniskirt
- Agna: boobplate, skimpier
- Narga, Green, Lucent: mega-lol. And yes it counts, the guy has fishnet too but he doesn't have all that crotch window. The image on the video isn't as blatant as shown here.
- Wroggi: stripper cowgirl yeehaw
- Peco, Crimson Peco: WTF @ gunner
- Ura, Steel Ura: boob/crotch window
- Arzuros: mini-skirt
- Ala: dat cleavage
- Diablos, Black Diablos: cleavage
- Jho: stripperific
- Colliseum: eh, mildly skimpier for no reason
- Pumpkin: not exactly skimpy but WTF is that? Dude version looks like normal armor minus the funny helmet, but the girl looks like some sort of weird Halloween serving wench

Doombear

Recently jumped back in and started messing with Gunlances. They are a blast once you get all the ins and outs slightly sorted. Took me an embarassingly long time to figure out how to reload. No idea why, it was just the absolute last thing I tried.

Wonder if there are any major / minor changes to them in 4U. I know there are a handful of changes to other weapons. I need to track those down and read them again.

mid83

Any suggestions on what weapon a beginner should use? I'm firing up my 3ds for the first time in a while and I finally went to dive into s couple games I've had sitting around (including MH3U). I am brand new to MH games though, so I have no clue what I'm doing.

Shengar

Any suggestions on what weapon a beginner should use? I'm firing up my 3ds for the first time in a while and I finally went to dive into s couple games I've had sitting around (including MH3U). I am brand new to MH games though, so I have no clue what I'm doing.

Faster weapon like Longsword or Dual Sword is a good starting point. Both of them can't block, so it'll force to evade which is more useful in combat situation.

MH4 has plenty of covering and even sensible gear. Kushala stuff pretty much looks like an ornate suit of armor that covers head to toe. The Chameleos stuff looks like a wizard get up and only shows your face (his bow is also a staff with a spell book quiver!). Ukanlos stuff seems covering for the G version but I haven't unlocked the chest part yet so I don't know if it shows cleavage. The Teostra stuff makes you look like royalty but has a goofy skirt thing for blademaster. It seems all the elder dragons have a "traditional" fantasy theming going on.
The rank high fatty stuff covers quite a bit but I haven't unlocked the G stuff yet.

Also I enjoy having the option to look either sensible or crazy depending on my mood. It's a good thing to have both down to earth designs like the Kush armor and insane looking things like the Gore stuff. Most games give me one or the other but not usually both.
If the image I saw is true, I just saw the G version of Kirin armor that really suit my taste. I'm definitely gonna ask and search for more about the armors when western release is near, which at that point images of armors should be plentiful.

Prototype

*posts list of any armor that barely even shows the slightest hint of skin*

What do you want?! Seriously? What's the aim here?

No fantasy armor or in a fucking fantasy game? I feel like your stance and people who share it just want the world to be whitewashed. Let's make everything either the same or so disinfected and safe that it all amounts to the same thing. Let's not even take the slightest chance that anyone, anywhere, could even potentially get offended by something. Let's sanitize everything until there is no possible way anyone can be offended ever. Will you be happy then? In a world so void of offensive things that everything starts to blend together?

It's a fucking game. Dude. It's a game. It's a video game. Hey. It's a game. Like seriously, it's a game. There are flying dragons that shoot fire from their mouths and people who weild weapons twice as big as themselves, and can jump from impossible heights, and can get ran over by a monster that weighs who knows how many tons and get up, drink a potion, and be on their way. BUT HELL NO, STOP THE FUCKING PRESS! THAT ARMOR IS SHOWING TOO MUCH SKIN. Like, what's the point? -this-makes it's too unrealistic for you but everything else gets a free pass?

Or what? You're bringing your political issues onto this thread and fucking it up? It's sexist? You want to use this videogame as a starting point for some crusade, for some cause to champion, because some armors in it are fantastical in nature? Is this really the place to be having an important discussion like that? In the monster hunter OT? When not only are there far worse "offenders" out there but there are also dedicated threads for that subject on this very site?

Whether it's a lack of realism or some political issues you've latched onto doesn't matter to me. Monster Hunter is the one fucking game that's brought me nothing but Joy for years and years and years and you don't get to come in here and fuck it up with your half brained ideas about what's right and what's not. Who the fuck are you to decide?

Just leave. Please.

also

Banned

No fantasy armor or in a fucking fantasy game? I feel like your stance and people who share it just want the world to be whitewashed. Let's make everything either the same or so disinfected and safe that it all amounts to the same thing. Let's not even take the slightest chance that anyone, anywhere, could even potentially get offended by something. Let's sanitize everything until there is no possible way anyone can be offended ever. Will you be happy then? In a world so void of offensive things that everything starts to blend together?

It's a fucking game. Dude. It's a game. It's a video game. Hey. It's a game. Like seriously, it's a game. There are flying dragons that shoot fire from their mouths and people who weild weapons twice as big as themselves, and can jump from impossible heights, and can get ran over by a monster that weighs who knows how many tons and get up, drink a potion, and be on their way. BUT HELL NO, STOP THE FUCKING PRESS! THAT ARMOR IS SHOWING TOO MUCH SKIN. Like, what's the point? -this-makes it's too unrealistic for you but everything else gets a free pass?

Or what? You're bringing your political issues onto this thread and fucking it up? It's sexist? You want to use this videogame as a starting point for some crusade, for some cause to champion, because some armors in it are fantastical in nature? Is this really the place to be having an important discussion like that? In the monster hunter OT? When not only are there far worse "offenders" out there but there are also dedicated threads for that subject on this very site?

Whether it's a lack of realism or some political issues you've latched onto doesn't matter to me. Monster Hunter is the one fucking game that's brought me nothing but Joy for years and years and years and you don't get to come in here and fuck it up with your half brained ideas about what's right and what's not. Who the fuck are you to decide?

Just leave. Please.

No need to get so defensive. This is a discussion thread and I don't see why we can't discuss the armor designs.

Personally, I don't pay that much attention to the armor but I still noticed that the general design process for female armors seems to be to take the male armor, expose shoulders/leg/cleavage and tweak a few other things. I have no problem with ''sexy'' sets but ''functional'' sets with random exposed skin look really stupid and I wish the designers would stop. Either do one or the other.

Shengar

Just leave. Please.

lol we only discussed the armor design, chill.
Atmej have said it, armor design can be discussed since this is the OT. It just natural since armor design is part of the game as it'll eventually affect people perception and enjoyment of game. You can say it just a game, but people expectation of their game is different than yours.

Does this make MH a bad game? No, not at all as it still objectively the best game in the genre for me. Does it affect my personal enjoyment? Absolutely, I have my own set of value when playing video games that set my expectation. I never said stripperific nor outlandish armor to go away since I know it'll be wrong for me to shoved it into other people. I'm merely expressing disappointment because the exclusion of Barioth X armor and my anxiety for MH4G to not provide me with a replacement.

Prototype

I think it's just mostly all the feminist talk lately. It's everywhere. It's gets brought up on every site. Every game is now a target. Like all of a sudden is this terrible thing that fantasy games have armor that is unrealistic or skimpy. Like it's some sort of sin. The female body has to be covered up or else it's the end of the world.

Just makes me sad that is happening here too. And no matter what anyone claims, monster hunter is hardly "bad" when it comes to this. Maybe it was the straw that broke the camels back in this case.

tuffy

None of the weapons are super complicated, so it mostly comes down to what sort of play style you enjoy. The long sword and dual blades have a lot of mobility, pretty simple combos and reward being very aggressive. The great sword, on the other hand, is all about bringing monsters down with a few powerful strikes. The lance lets you sit toe-to-toe with the monster and triple poke your way to victory while either evading or blocking incoming attacks. Light bowguns are all about rapid-firing a ton of shots, machine-gun style, whereas heavy bowguns deliver fewer, very powerful shots. And so on.

Since the game gives you all the starter weapons upfront, there's no harm in trying them out in the Moga Woods until you find one (or more) that you like. There's no time limit or limit on the number of times you can cart when you're not on a quest, so it's a totally risk-free way to experiment.

Pila

This game has a shitty, shitty demo. I told a friend to check out MH, he has the Wii U, he likes souls games, I explained a bit of the basics... that demo made a terrible impact on him =( you can't just give those weapons to a new player and "good luck". They need something better.

Recently jumped back in and started messing with Gunlances. They are a blast once you get all the ins and outs slightly sorted.

I'm in love too <3 I started using them too late, I'll use them more on MH4U.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I was replying to Unicorn. S/he made a claim, and I found it wanting. I wasn't even gonna talk about it again until s/he insisted I check out that video, funnily enough.

Holy shit, lol. Wipe the foam from your sputtering mouth, will you? I am not offended. I am not trying to censor anything. I am not trying to destroy fantasy in gaming*. I am criticizing inequality in armour design, which is a common trend in fantasy art and MH is not immune. That's it. Chill the fuck out.

* look at my avatar, obviously I am not opposed to "fantasy armour" designs in general, lol

It's a fucking game. Dude. It's a game. It's a video game. Hey. It's a game. Like seriously, it's a game.
And therefore it is immune to all forms of criticisms. Right?
There are flying dragons that shoot fire from their mouths and people who weild weapons twice as big as themselves, and can jump from impossible heights, and can get ran over by a monster that weighs who knows how many tons and get up, drink a potion, and be on their way. BUT HELL NO, STOP THE FUCKING PRESS! THAT ARMOR IS SHOWING TOO MUCH SKIN. Like, what's the point? -this-makes it's too unrealistic for you but everything else gets a free pass?
I didn't say anything about realism either. So that's more strawman for the pile I suppose. Nor am I "STOPPING THE FUCKING PRESS". The only one showing anger and outrage here is you, by the way.

Do tell how I am "fucking it up"? It's a discussion. You aren't obligated to participate. Note that I am not even the one who brought up the gender disparity (this time, at least xD).
This OT has been almost dead for a while anyway, so it's not like I'm derailing anything, but even if it weren't, once again, you don't have to participate if you aren't interested.

Whether it's a lack of realism or some political issues you've latched onto doesn't matter to me. Monster Hunter is the one fucking game that's brought me nothing but Joy for years and years and years and you don't get to come in here and fuck it up
.... Is this real? Hahahaha.

I love MH too. Spent over a hundred hours on MH Tri and over a hundred hours on 3U as well. But luckily for me, my life is not that wretchedly fragile that if someone came and criticized something about a game I enjoy, that suddenly my happiness will be affected. xD I kinda feel sorry for you now...

with your half brained ideas about what's right and what's not.
Why, I never! xD

Who the fuck are you to decide?
"Decide" what? I haven't "decided" anything. But you are apparently trying to decide that I, or my ideas, don't belong. So let me throw this question right back at you: "who the fuck are you to decide (whether or not I can talk about sexism in armour design)?".

Just leave. Please.
Unless a mod told me to, uh... Why would I do that?

tuffy

This game has a shitty, shitty demo. I told a friend to check out MH, he has the Wii U, he likes souls games, I explained a bit of the basics... that demo made a terrible impact on him =( you can't just give those weapons to a new player and "good luck". They need something better.
I'd like to see a demo with the 1 star quests and then Great Jaggi from the 2 star ones with an option to migrate data to the full game. That'd be more representative, at least.

Pila

Guys, it's videogames. Come on.

I'd like to see a demo with the 1 star quests and then Great Jaggi from the 2 star ones with an option to migrate data to the full game. That'd be more representative, at least.

That would be so good I don't even expect it from Cacpcom ^^ I'd settle for some text during the demo explaining you wtf is going on! It's really lazy as it is.

Garteal

This game has a learning curve and you simply need to spend some time with it to understand how things work.

If anything they should have at least one 'tougher' monster (maybe some form of the signature monster?) in it. That would show the difference between a low rank and higher rank monster and make other demo's more interesting as well if they don't change the mechanics that much and you get to fight a new monster. Some people trying out the demo would be in for a lot of rage once they purchase the game and expect to fight Great Jaggi quality monsters all the time.

Pila

This game has a learning curve and you simply need to spend some time with it to understand how things work.

Agreed, I'm not saying that the game isn't good or something, I play it like crack lol, it's the demo that's terrible at selling it. It could be good if you already know MH and you're curious about weapons you never played or underwater combat, it's useless otherwise.

tuffy

If anything they should have at least one 'tougher' monster (maybe some form of the signature monster?) in it. That would show the difference between a low rank and higher rank monster and make other demo's more interesting as well if they don't change the mechanics that much and you get to fight a new monster. Some people trying out the demo would be in for a lot of rage once they purchase the game and expect to fight Great Jaggi quality monsters all the time.
More experienced players who want to see the tougher monsters probably won't need a demo as much, though. Seems like the current demo is for Japanese players who already know what they're getting into and want to see the cool stuff right away. But for newbies, the full game does a pretty good job of easing people into things, so packaging those early quests into a demo might be more appropriate.

Capcom probably wouldn't want to make a separate demo for another region, though.

Doombear

If anything they should have at least one 'tougher' monster (maybe some form of the signature monster?) in it.

Ha, the 3U demo had Plessy right? Ugh, what a slap in the face to people that had spent very little or no time with the game prior. An underwater battle too?! YAY! Haha, it was rough even for me at first. Pretty brutal. Perhaps a harder monster, like Rathalos or even Rathian (including some Antidotes to give an example of countering status) but with overpowered armor. You could at least take a few hits, but would still need to watch and learn her moves.

Agreed, I'm not saying that the game isn't good or something, I play it like crack lol, it's the demo that's terrible at selling it.

So terrible! That said, I finally convinced my daughter (then 9) to try the MH3U demo on her 3DS. She knows I love the game so gave it a few tries. Not for her. Not yet. But she did manage to stay alive until quest end on Lagombi. I take pride that she didn't triple cart =P

It is just too much for her though, not understanding how to use Paintballs, not knowing her weapon is dull, not knowing that to really understand even basics like roll or sheathe she needs to read the brief instructions (which thankfully are there to read, right?). She saw the draw of the game, but was overwhelmed by everything she needed to know right from the jump.

I would like to see them do a better job with a demo, and I wouldn't even be opposed to creating a much less fluid 'opener' fight with stop-start mechanics. You have all seen it in games. An enemy lumbers in to view, you walk towards it, the game pauses the action as a paragraph of text pops up, "You can take out your weapon and press A to attack. Press A to attack the silly monster" You do that a few times, then another pause "Now you should block meanface's attack. Press B to block now!" And so on.

A quick fight like that against a Great Jaggi, only going over the basics (standard attacks, item use, dodging, superman dive =P) and then a quick "You can read about the attacks specific to your chosen weapon type by opening the manual. Have fun! Get good!" Then a second fight option against something more challenging. That also allows veterans to jump right in and skip the tutorial.

As for the armor discussion, I played a male character in MHF1, but from 2 on, the designs of the female armors were far more interesting to me. Less bulky, less the same from one set to the next. The Testa, Death Stench and Bnahabra armor sets are still in my top 5 ever. For me, it has never been due to the amount of cloth they have or don't. It is simply down to the designs of most of them that draw me to them. The same is true for the game in general. I own most of the Design Books for the series as I love the creativity that goes into the series! Sadly that desire for great aesthetics is also true with weapons, but sometimes you just have to stick with that ugly Hammer because it is hands down the better one.

Shengar

So terrible! That said, I finally convinced my daughter (then 9) to try the MH3U demo on her 3DS. She knows I love the game so gave it a few tries. Not for her. Not yet. But she did manage to stay alive until quest end on Lagombi. I take pride that she didn't triple cart =P

Wait, on the 3DS, not even Wii U?
It'll be less than 2 years before Deviljho bow down to her.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I thought about this but then I remembered how hard it was for me to get into the early quests in Tri and 3u. The first few hours of the game just plain suck.

I hear its actually quite good in 4 though.

tuffy

I thought about this but then I remembered how hard it was for me to get into the early quests in Tri and 3u. The first few hours of the game just plain suck.

I hear its actually quite good in 4 though.
I admit I never did beat Great Jaggi in the original Tri the first time around. The fight seemed to go on for ages and I had no idea what I was doing.

I was expecting the same sort of hellish battle in 3U, but I took him down with a bunch of rapid-fire pellet shot on my first try. I think a lot of it has to do with making those early tutorial-style quests easier (like not needing to do KOs to get those Kelbi Horns, etc.), so it seems like they're moving in the right direction to make the series more accessible.

Doombear

Wait, on the 3DS, not even Wii U?
It'll be less than 2 years before Deviljho bow down to her.

I hope so, I need a good consistent hunting partner! Yep, the 3DS. I had been on a nice marathon run all weekend on the Wii U so she was bombarded with my gameplay and decided to grab it on her 3DS. Too bad the demo doesn't allow for multiplayer =)

Garteal

Ha, the 3U demo had Plessy right? Ugh, what a slap in the face to people that had spent very little or no time with the game prior. An underwater battle too?! YAY! Haha, it was rough even for me at first. Pretty brutal. Perhaps a harder monster, like Rathalos or even Rathian (including some Antidotes to give an example of countering status) but with overpowered armor. You could at least take a few hits, but would still need to watch and learn her moves.
Oh I find him pretty easy since I still think he's bugged or something or purposely misses when he does his jumpy moves in the water. On the land he can be a pain though if you're not careful and patient.
I do give you that the underwater control are atrocious but it's still sad to see it go.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh I find him pretty easy since I still think he's bugged or something or purposely misses when he does his jumpy moves in the water. On the land he can be a pain though if you're not careful and patient.
I do give you that the underwater control are atrocious but it's still sad to see it go.

Did anyone else ever have Plessy consistently freeze up in what I'm 99% sure is an actual glitch? Sometimes on land he would just stand still for like fifteen seconds, no animation or reactions to being hit (aside from blood) or anything

tuffy

Did anyone else ever have Plessy consistently freeze up in what I'm 99% sure is an actual glitch? Sometimes on land he would just stand still for like fifteen seconds, no animation or reactions to being hit (aside from blood) or anything
Is this solo or multiplayer? I've seen him standing there derping while fatigued for easy hits, but he still has his usual flipper and gill animations and doesn't stand completely still like a statue. I wouldn't be surprised if it's some sort of glitch.

Garteal

Yeah I have, in both SP and MP. He just tanks it all like a boss.

Doombear

Definitely. When he has low stamina, he can stand there for a good long time. Free hits!

Prototype

morrigan stark

Sorry, the post wasn't directly aimed at you, more my frustration with that topic infecting everything lately.

On topic,
Started playing again recently and read thru anubis huge GS guide over at gamefaqs. Amazing. It's literally a bible on GS covering everything from weapon and armor choice, to skill sets, to go technique and more.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Definitely. When he has low stamina, he can stand there for a good long time. Free hits!

It can happen right at the beginning of the fight, underwater, in the zone with the beachhead. With no Stamina lost. I still think its one of the harder fights in the game even with the glitches, I hate fighting that creepy bastard.

Especially bad if the first time you run into him is in the jungle on a Harvest Quest. Those eyes piercing that murky water. Fucking terrifying. Then you see him on land and he's a big goofy shark with legs, but still. First impressions.

EDIT:

Only Great Sword guide you need.

skNitUb.jpg

Unicorn

"Less than 10", lol, what an accomplishment...!

But let's take a look at this vid. I wanted to give you benefit of doubt, thinking maybe I just got unlucky since I made Wroggi and Narga sets consecutively and perhaps it coloured my perceptions.
And, well... nope, still bad. Sometimes you have to compare with the male one to see how dubious it is because I counted way more than 10 (even by grouping those who are just palette swaps):
- Glacial Agna: female version is skimpier
- Brachy: female blade version has boobplate and cleavage
- Ceadeus, Gold: lol
- Jade Barroth: female blade boob window
- Guild: lol miniskirt
- Agna: boobplate, skimpier
- Narga, Green, Lucent: mega-lol. And yes it counts, the guy has fishnet too but he doesn't have all that crotch window. The image on the video isn't as blatant as shown here.
- Wroggi: stripper cowgirl yeehaw
- Peco, Crimson Peco: WTF @ gunner
- Ura, Steel Ura: boob/crotch window
- Arzuros: mini-skirt
- Ala: dat cleavage
- Diablos, Black Diablos: cleavage
- Jho: stripperific
- Colliseum: eh, mildly skimpier for no reason
- Pumpkin: not exactly skimpy but WTF is that? Dude version looks like normal armor minus the funny helmet, but the girl looks like some sort of weird Halloween serving wench

While I won't go through the entire list and rattle off where I disagree (ok, one example: Jade Barroth boob window - if that's what you consider "skanky" ...), I will say that the majority of these are trying really hard to find skin-bearing armor.

Sometimes, yeah, it falls into "fanservice" which really equates to "great for fanart softcore porn potential," but MH has been fairly consistently tactful in their armor sets. There are a handful of "fanservice" type armors, but on the GREATER whole they usually cover enough to still be considered armor.

Sometimes the armors are themed of historic elements, such as the Caedeus set you presumably find truly offensive ("lol" remark). It is stylized in a egyptian vein, with anubis style head and garb. Yes, it shows skin, but I still feel it is tasteful because it is being "true" to the roots of the source or historical motif.

If the argument is that MH is objectifying women, it is one of the prime examples where I feel it equally objectifies men in the power-fantasy aspect. Men get equally (if not more) overly large, spiky, bulbous, or plated armors. Conversely, female sets either match up with mens, seem tame in comparison, go for form-fitting, or sneak out a bit of skin or extra leg here and there.

That's not even taking into account the more realistic proportions to both male and female characters. Females have a "modest" bust size. Men are muscular without being out-and-out ripped.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm not saying "showing a bit of skin = skanky", I'm explaining that there's an inequality. The boob window, for instance, is completely unnecessary and it's just there because hey, "female lol". It's not about stylization, but rather of how it's stylized. It becomes so normalized that people are actually questioning those who question it... that's pretty bad. Ceadeus's armour is a joke. The Egyptian aesthetic is potentially kinda cool but they ruin it with a gratuitously exposed belly. Not only is it gratuitous and tritely common in female armour designs, but it just looks really stupid anyway. Speaking of gratuitous, I remember being so disappointed when I made a Jhen Mohran set back in Tri. I saw this set on male avatars and it looked like a samurai armour, and it had great skills, so I excitedly crafted one for me... but not only did it look completely different, it had this ridiculous crotch window. I was kinda dismayed. :p Funny thing is that female design has grown on me, I find it elegant and classy and now I even prefer it to the bulky samurai look, except for that stupid crotch window (don't know what else to call it). Somehow it looks even more visible in-game, too. smh

FWIW, I'm also not a fan of excessive spikes and overly bulky pauldrons on males at all. But it's wrong to say that this is objectification; it's not. It's bad for other reasons. ;) For example, again for Ceadeus, those helmets are very silly looking. But yeah, you'll note I didn't mention the Piscine sets, even though they're among the most revealing... because the male armour is equally revealing. Equality. Yay. :p

You might think MH is usually good with their female armour. Maybe they are if you compare them to atrocities like in League of Legends and other games, then sure. But I happen to think it's still not good enough. To be fair to MH, few games are, and that is unfortunate.

It's perfectly possible to have very stylish and flashy and/or cartoony armour styles without resorting to design choices that are rooted in sexualization and objectification, two concepts that really don't fit with themes of combat, hunting, etc. (At least spikes and giant pauldrons evoke "badassness" and power, even if I think they look stupid for the most part.) As a female martial arts practitioner who wears the same armour as the men, and I do mean the exact same armour, "sexy armour" is something I find particularly obnoxious, mostly because of the inequality in gender and because it's so widespread that people don't even notice it, to the point where random cleavage and boob windows even go unnoticed.

PKrockin

I don't think the occasional boob window that shows nothing or the female version showing part of a belly if you look closely is anything to be offended at, but that's just me. They're not very noticeable and completely fail at delivering tittilation, assuming that's what they were going for, so after the initial bemused/puzzled wonder why it's even there, I get used to it. I feel like it's nitpicking to focus on it when not just League of Legends, but most of its Japanese/Fantasy/RPG peers have women romping around in much skimpier and sexualized clothing on average. Instead of telling Capcom to fuck off I would say I like most the armor but a tiny boob window thrown on heavy plate armor serves no purpose and should really go.

Pila

You know, maybe I'll miss the underwater combat. Yeah it's pretty difficult to use some weapons in the water but I like chasing the monsters there, it's... fascinating? I also think that being a little impaired while in water kinda makes sense in a way.

I'll miss the Plessy fishing, that's for sure =( that big chick loves a fresh frog.

PKrockin

You know, maybe I'll miss the underwater combat. Yeah it's pretty difficult to use some weapons in the water but I like chasing the monsters there, it's... fascinating? I also think that being a little impaired while in water kinda makes sense in a way.

I'll miss the Plessy fishing, that's for sure =( that big chick loves a fresh frog.
I started missing the underwater combat in 3U as soon as I encountered Plesioth in FU.

get out of the fucking water and fight me already you asshole

Been getting back into MH in a big way. I'm chasing that Urragan Ruby. I need like...4? It says there is a 3% drop from a chin break, but does that mean a shiny after the chin breaks or in the box at the end of the quest? I've also uncapped my HR and I've gotten to go on some awesome hunts. The invisible monster and the gold rathalos were both epic.

tuffy

Been getting back into MH in a big way. I'm chasing that Urragan Ruby. I need like...4? It says there is a 3% drop from a chin break, but does that mean a shiny after the chin breaks or in the box at the end of the quest?
Part breaks show up in the rewards; shiny drops are a separate thing with their own percentages.
I've also uncapped my HR and I've gotten to go on some awesome hunts. The invisible monster and the gold rathalos were both epic.
The post-Miralis stuff is basically its own tier. Lots of new monster variants for extra challenge and some great endgame gear awaits!

Part breaks show up in the rewards; shiny drops are a separate thing with their own percentages.

The post-Miralis stuff is basically its own tier. Lots of new monster variants for extra challenge and some great endgame gear awaits!

I've gotten Uragaan farming down to a science now. I know that by the time I break the chin and cut the tail, it's ready to be captured. My only regret is capturing him when he showed up outside my village. I got zero rewards that I wanted when I went back into town.

Top Bottom