• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Verus

Would this be the appropriate thread in search for other players to play with? Started the past weekend. About to hit HR6 but no luck finding players unless you are HR100+ or higher which is ridiculous.

Pila

Would this be the appropriate thread in search for other players to play with? Started the past weekend. About to hit HR6 but no luck finding players unless you are HR100+ or higher which is ridiculous.

Sorry for my late reply, I'm not a big forum user during week-ends. ^^

In order to play with people with a similar HR I'd recommend tagging your room with the "Playing in pairs" tag. If/when HR100s join, let them know that they can't use end-game armor/weapon, ask them to stick with high rank gear or please leave. Don't open room in G RANK servers if you don't feel like playing with them.

Regulars here are willing to play with new players using low rank/high rank gear, some hunters made an alt hunter for that very purpose. Let us know if you need some company, we'll play fair and we'll leave the end-game stuff in the box at home. =)

So I am getting my boys a Wii U for Christmas and read somewhere, but I can't find it now, that you can play online with the 3DS version of the game using the Wii U as a gateway without having the Wii U version of the game. Is that the case? And if so I hope to be able to play with you all online soon then.

tuffy

So I am getting my boys a Wii U for Christmas and read somewhere, but I can't find it now, that you can play online with the 3DS version of the game using the Wii U as a gateway without having the Wii U version of the game. Is that the case? And if so I hope to be able to play with you all online soon then.
Yes, you can by downloading the free Wii U bridging tool.

However, you also need a Wii U LAN adapter and an ethernet connection. The Wii U will use the LAN adapter to connect itself to the internet while the wireless connection is dedicated to the 3DS.

also

Banned
Be warned that you can't use your Wii U for anything else while you're playing online with your 3DS. Also you can only join existing MP rooms; you can't create them yourself.

Gotcha, well that's good news. Although I just checked and the cost of the LAN adapter is only 5.00 cheaper then getting the Wii U version... It might just be more beneficial to get that instead so I can play with my son as well.

upandaway

Gotcha, well that's good news. Although I just checked and the cost of the LAN adapter is only 5.00 cheaper then getting the Wii U version... It might just be more beneficial to get that instead so I can play with my son as well.
Yeah I really can't think of a reason to buy the adapter over the Wii U version. The benefits definitely make up for that $5.

Yeah I really can't think of a reason to buy the adapter over the Wii U version. The benefits definitely make up for that $5.

The only reason was to not have to buy something but since I either have to buy the LAN adapter or a Wii U version of MH3U its a pretty easy choice.

tuffy

I'm still around. Though lately I've been doing a lot of hunting offline solo so I'm bound to be way out of practice.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My specific kill list is G Rank Zinogre, Diablos (for hardhorns, so probably of the Black variety) and Abyssal Lagi. If anyone else has interest in any of those maybe we could set a date and time for some shenanigans.

I'm also just generally down for any G Rank nonsense and I should probably finish a bunch of port quests that I never bothered to do.

tuffy

The "Plain Dangerous" chain hunt is best for hardhorns (along with a little luck). Zinogre and Abyssal Lagi aren't too rough in general. I'll be around on my usual evenings and weekends (central standard time). We'll have to see if we can lure some folks away from MH4G for a bit and get the gang back together.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The "Plain Dangerous" chain hunt is best for hardhorns (along with a little luck). Zinogre and Abyssal Lagi aren't too rough in general. I'll be around on my usual evenings and weekends (central standard time). We'll have to see if we can lure some folks away from MH4G for a bit and get the gang back together.

I'm good most nights after 8 eastern.

What actually stopped me from finishing it up this summer is the realization that if I had been just a bit more thorough clearing port quests I'd have two Skyemeralds from VE Cosmic tickets making this grind almost nothing. So depressing, I have no luck with regular sky emeralds.

Pila

GMT+1 here (Rome/Paris). Write a line if you make a room during the US afternoon, it would be night here and I'm always game for some monster hunting when I'm not at the office. ^^

After Christmas I would be down for some online hunting myself. I just hit HR4 last night and I hope to be higher before I get the Wii U version.

So after checking the Wiki about the drop rate for Rathalos Rubies I saw that you can trade VE Gold tickets for them. Does anyone know if its possible to get the higher VE tickets from solo play?

Edit: 12 hours apart double post.

Prawnkus

Neo Member
Any idea if Gamestop is going to sell the special edition of 4U? I asked to preorder it and they told me I could only preorder the regular edition, has this happened to anybody else?

So I've gone from hr4 to hr5 and all I have left until hr6 and g rank quests is Goldbeard Ceadeus. I am using Dios Tailhammer +, my armor has hge,critical eye +3,and razor sharp. I do have a power talon and power charm. With eating for attack up m I am at 1194 attack. I think I can do this but does anyone have any tips to solo this thing?
So I am now hr6.

PKrockin

So I've gone from hr4 to hr5 and all I have left until hr6 and g rank quests is Goldbeard Ceadeus. I am using Dios Tailhammer +, my armor has hge,critical eye +3,and razor sharp. I do have a power talon and power charm. With eating for attack up m I am at 1194 attack. I think I can do this but does anyone have any tips to solo this thing?
So I am now hr6.
Congrats. The real Monster Hunter begins here.

Try not to cart to a Great Jaggi like I did.

Yeah I was feeling pretty invincible after taking on Goldbeard in 30 minutes, I proceeded to take the dual Arzuros quest and took a cart 30 seconds in. Finished it though.

Mussah92

Do people normally stick to one weapon? or do you swap sometimes?

Ive used the switch axe until the 3 star missions... but i wanna try something different, maybe the bow but its super difficult (atleast for me)

tuffy

Ive used the switch axe until the 3 star missions... but i wanna try something different, maybe the bow but its super difficult (atleast for me)
I think it's fairly common for new players to stick with one weapon for awhile because it means dealing with only one set of variables at a time. But learning more weapons gives you more options, so it's never a bad idea.

The bow seems simple enough to use (hold down X for a certain number of flashes, point hunter at monster, release), yet knowing the different types of shots at each charge level and what range to be at for best results make it tricky to master.

If it's any consolation, my hunt times with the bowguns are much better.

also

Banned

Trying out other weapons is a good idea; my policy is to drop it if I don't like it after a few quests. I tried most weapons and I ended up sticking with the Great Sword; even after hundreds of hours I'm still not tired of it. The only other weapon I've used for an extended period of time is the Swax and that was before my transition to the GS club.

Personally, I don't like the feel of the ranged weapons and the increased inventory management is also a major turn off. Although I love it when a status gunner joins the party...

Prototype

I only used GS in Tri, for ~600 hours.

In 3 Ultimate, I have branched out. GS is still by far my most used weapon but I regularly use Lance now too.

After that would be LS and lately SnS.

jercruz

So I am now hr6.

congrats. take your time and enjoy G-rank. don't rush to get everything done.

Pila

It's up to you, when I started the game I used the same weapon (dual blades) for a looooong time, you have a lot of things to learn and I think you could focus on the weapons a bit later. Try them out eventually, learning a new weapon feels nice.

Do you think the time is now? Good. They are all funny to use :) not a bow expert, I'll pass on giving tips.

PKrockin

I used the hammer in low rank, then switched to the lance in high rank, then added the horn, then added the greatsword in g-rank. I encourage people to try different weapons. Helps keep the game from getting boring, and it's nice to "counterpick" weapons that are better against certain monsters. I would hate to be stuck with a lance against Black Diablos or a greatsword underwater.

Pila

My journey was something like: double blades, long sword, great sword, hammer, gun lance. I tried other things but those are the ones I really invested time in.

I suck at the hammer :( it makes me feel like a newbie lol.

tuffy

We're going to have to put together a room one of these days now that folks are coming back.

I'm still mostly dreadful at everything but the bowguns, but I know just enough switch axery to get tails off in a pinch.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Two good bowgunners are worth ten of any other class.

Almost every other weapon can cut a tail.

The other nice boon is a dedicated HH user with a good Hearing Protection horn, allowing the entire group to not have to gem for it. You can make some absolutely wicked sets if you never, ever have to worry about roaring.

tuffy

I've been getting back into practice with a few chain hunts, like Rathalos Summit and so on. It's a nice relaxing way of having some variety without getting mobbed by a lot of monsters at once.

Heroman

Banned
We're going to have to put together a room one of these days now that folks are coming back.

I'm still mostly dreadful at everything but the bowguns, but I know just enough switch axery to get tails off in a pinch.
We really should, There so many thing I need to do.

Gibbo

How is the community in this game? Amamzon just delivered my copy, so cant wait to.jump in. I assume that i should first start out solo?

tuffy

How is the community in this game? Amamzon just delivered my copy, so cant wait to.jump in. I assume that i should first start out solo?
There's still ~500 people online most of the time and GAF hunters are around to lend a hand if needed. But if you've never played Monster Hunter before, it's a good idea to progress through the single-player Moga Village quests first. Those early quests are there to help teach you the game ("here's how you gather items", "here's how you kill little monsters", "here's how you kill big monsters", "here's how you capture big monsters", etc.) so it's helpful to do them even if it takes a little while to get to the action.

Korosenai

So I made a dumb decision to sell this game a while back, because I knew once MH4 came out I wouldn't play this.... Yet here I am now wanting to play it.

My question to decide if I rebuy this is, does the game save its file to the 3ds cartridge or the 3ds itself? I had 80 hours played and I'd rather start from where I was than do it all over again.

Capra

Yeah, there's a lot going on in this game so you'll want to tackle the solo quests for a while. I just started the other day and I've only gotten to 3-star quests in the village. Almost feel up for online play but it's probably worth playing through at least the first "major" monster in solo before then.

Feel free to add me if you want to hunt alongside a fellow newbie later on though

GeekyDad

Question (long and drawn out):

Played for about 300 hours on 3DS, just got a Wii U and that version, tried starting a new character, but fuck that. Decided to do the data transfer from 3DS to Wii U. I went to play, but there's no HUD on my gamepad. I didn't realize until I had went on a quest and tried to lock on to a pink rathian and nothing...

For full disclosure, I transferred from 3DS to Wii U and then back again, so my saves would be back on my 3DS. Doubt that would have any effect, but just mentioning it in case.

Any ideas why I can't see my HUD on my gamepad?

Thanks

Top Bottom