• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Melchior

Loving this game so far. I'm playing with some friends and we did the emergency quest for HR 1 and only I got it "finished" even though we were all there and we continued to do HR2 missions. So I'm wondering if they are getting completion for these or are they screwed because we're about to jump into HR3.

GeekyDad

Loving this game so far. I'm playing with some friends and we did the emergency quest for HR 1 and only I got it "finished" even though we were all there and we continued to do HR2 missions. So I'm wondering if they are getting completion for these or are they screwed because we're about to jump into HR3.

If you mean do they get credit for the quests, yes, all but urgent quests. Each player has to initiate those quests in order to move on to the next HR.

Melchior

If you mean do they get credit for the quests, yes, all but urgent quests. Each player has to initiate those quests in order to move on to the next HR.

I should have phrased it better. I mean when they do the emergency quests will they have to redo the quests in the tier or will they be checked off.

tuffy

I should have phrased it better. I mean when they do the emergency quests will they have to redo the quests in the tier or will they be checked off.
If you complete quests that you can't post yourself, they still arrive checked-off once you complete the urgent quest to open up that tier. So you're not wasting any time by "jumping ahead", so to speak.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I actually looked at what goals I have left in this game and yeah, it's pretty much just get this final set of armor done.

I mean, I could go all collector happy or "git gud" with something that's not Great Sword, but with 4U around the corner I think making this "Ultimate Great Sword" armor will be enough.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So speaking of greatswords.

I popped in MH3U again recently and I decided I wanted to actually learn how to GS, only I don't have any GS armor at all.

I built a Dios GS and put together Lagi set (regular one) because it has tenderizer and focus, then i put on a +2 focus talisman and put in a few +1 focus decorations so I have focus +15.

The set is pretty decent but I wanna know what I should try and build that's more High rank suitable.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
High Rank? World is the limit.

Volvidion, Jaggi, Wroggi, Rath Soul, Lagiacrus, Vangis, Zinogre, Nibelsnarf.

If you are slow playing the game and intend to spend a long time at High Rank I really recommend Rath Soul or Zinogre. Can be a bit of work and Rath Soul is ugly but it offers some quite good skills for high rank.

If I had to do it again though I'd just get Wroggi/Jaggi and maybe Volvidion and rush to G Rank, then grind out Goldy armor.

Since you have Lagi and Dios I'd say the only improvement worthwhile over those is Rath Soul

It's ugly but has: Critical Eye +2, Razor Sharp, Earplugs and 7 slots.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I have the full rath soul set but I kinda feel it's more of a Switch Axe set (since that's how I use it anyways)

I was thinking of working my way to a berserker sword and eventually to nero's anguish and then getting Blos X head and chest, G jhen every where else, handicraft 4 with decorations to sharpness +1

Pila

So all I need now is about a dozen Abyssal Lagi runs to complete my ultimate set of armor. I wouldn't mind recruiting some people from this thread to take a run at them sometime soon.

I'm in CET (Rome/Paris) and I usually play at 9-11 PM, not the best hunter but I can help during that time. Sadly I can't play when it's like 3 AM here, work is a pain. =)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Is there some kind of in game resource that outlines or even hints at the different damage zones on monsters? Or what weapons work best etc against them?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
With MH4U coming out he wanted to try out MH3U on the 3DS, I told him to get the demo and then he said "what demo?" so I went to go check and uh the demo is gone from the 3DS eshop.

Haven't checked the Wii U eshop though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have the full rath soul set but I kinda feel it's more of a Switch Axe set (since that's how I use it anyways)

I was thinking of working my way to a berserker sword and eventually to nero's anguish and then getting Blos X head and chest, G jhen every where else, handicraft 4 with decorations to sharpness +1

A solid plan. Nero's Anguish is kind of a bitch to get though. I'm still missing the crook myself.

Doombear

This is one of the most impressive and useful gaming-related things I've ever come across.

MHDex is the best thing that has ever happened to Monster Hunter in ever. Athena's ASS is pretty great too of course, but the Dex... I can't even imagine a Monster Hunter without it now.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
A solid plan. Nero's Anguish is kind of a bitch to get though. I'm still missing the crook myself.

Lol well the plan is on the back burner for now, I got really lucky last night while hunting some brachs for a friend and got 4 gems so I ended up taking my dualies which I haven't used in an eternity all the way up to spectral demolishers.

Threw on my rath soul set, gemmed for crit eye +3 and just went to town destroying everything amped up on mega dash juice.

I forgot how fun dualies can be when you've got the juice for it. I wish I could get a set with status attack up on it as well as sharp +1 I think that could be a lot of fun. Last I checked though athena's couldnt solve for that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Lol well the plan is on the back burner for now, I got really lucky last night while hunting some brachs for a friend and got 4 gems so I ended up taking my dualies which I haven't used in an eternity all the way up to spectral demolishers.

Threw on my rath soul set, gemmed for crit eye +3 and just went to town destroying everything amped up on mega dash juice.

I forgot how fun dualies can be when you've got the juice for it. I wish I could get a set with status attack up on it as well as sharp +1 I think that could be a lot of fun. Last I checked though athena's couldnt solve for that.

...should be possible I would think.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
...should be possible I would think.

Not with crit eye +3, possibly with crit eye +2.

Well maybe, but I'd need one mean charm for it to work. But then again doesn't slime work weirdly? It's a status not an element but status attack improves application rate but not potency I think?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Not with crit eye +3, possibly with crit eye +2.

Well maybe, but I'd need one mean charm for it to work. But then again doesn't slime work weirdly? It's a status not an element but status attack improves application rate but not potency I think?

status up doesn't work with slime if I remember right. Bombadier only. A much easier skill to gem in.

With MH4U coming out he wanted to try out MH3U on the 3DS, I told him to get the demo and then he said "what demo?" so I went to go check and uh the demo is gone from the 3DS eshop.

Haven't checked the Wii U eshop though.

Are you checking the demo section? I downloaded the demo onto my son's 3ds a month ago. Go to the MH3U page and rotate until you get the demo option.

VandalD

I didn't go into the Brachydios high rank urgent quest expecting it to be such a huge difficulty brick wall, but that's certainly what it is for me so far. Failed by death twice and never saw him limp. First time I've hit the cart in this game. Gotta get good, I suppose.

I didn't go into the Brachydios high rank urgent quest expecting it to be such a huge difficulty brick wall, but that's certainly what it is for me so far. Failed by death twice and never saw him limp. First time I've hit the cart in this game. Gotta get good, I suppose.

One big thing that was an "AHA" moment for me with Brachy was learning to roll towards him. Almost all of his attacks are focused in front of him so if you roll towards him you roll under the attacks. Also bring a water weapon.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Brachy might be the most annoying monster in the game.

They get angry more often then most monsters like Gigginox/Diablos, but unlike those two Brachy being angry actually makes them much more dangerous. Their AOE expands greatly and most annoyingly they cannot be tripped while angry.

VandalD

Got him down with 4 minutes left. Brought a water bow. Was using ice before. Used all my potions and mega potions. Would've run out of cold drinks if I hadn't brought chilled meat. I considered bringing traps, but I kind of feel like that's too much of a crutch when I'm supposed to be learning a monster. Maybe that's backwards thinking in MH, where preparation is a significant part of the game.
One big thing that was an "AHA" moment for me with Brachy was learning to roll towards him. Almost all of his attacks are focused in front of him so if you roll towards him you roll under the attacks. Also bring a water weapon.
I did this for the most part, but particularly when he's enraged, he seems to like to jump away and spin around at me with a punch. I guess I'll get it down eventually, but it felt like I really could've used speed sheath and more evasion distance. Probably need to swap out the Rhenoplos S armor soon.

Pila

Got him down with 4 minutes left. Brought a water bow. Was using ice before. Used all my potions and mega potions. Would've run out of cold drinks if I hadn't brought chilled meat. I considered bringing traps, but I kind of feel like that's too much of a crutch when I'm supposed to be learning a monster. Maybe that's backwards thinking in MH, where preparation is a significant part of the game.

I did this for the most part, but particularly when he's enraged, he seems to like to jump away and spin around at me with a punch. I guess I'll get it down eventually, but it felt like I really could've used speed sheath and more evasion distance. Probably need to swap out the Rhenoplos S armor soon.

I don't use a ton of objects while hunting but traps are very, very useful. When the monster is tired they last forever, lot of free hits. Bring always a couple traps if you don't mind me saying so, you don't need three full pages of stuff in your bag but you sure need some traps. ;)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I have seen people like... counter, I guess, the big monster charges with the great sword. Do you just have to time a fully charged vertical attack to get that to happen?

tuffy

I have seen people like... counter, I guess, the big monster charges with the great sword. Do you just have to time a fully charged vertical attack to get that to happen?
Pretty much, yeah, along with having good instincts about stagger limits. It's all in the timing.

VandalD

I don't think the Wii U population will suffer too much. I figure most of those people really wanna just play on the console over the 3DS
Going from the 3DS version to the Wii U version, this is definitely how I feel. Granted, the worst part of playing on 3DS is fighting underwater and that's not in MH4, but I'd still rather play on a bigger screen with proper analog sticks. Besides, I've still got plenty to do with 3U.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Going from the 3DS version to the Wii U version, this is definitely how I feel. Granted, the worst part of playing on 3DS is fighting underwater and that's not in MH4, but I'd still rather play on a bigger screen with proper analog sticks. Besides, I've still got plenty to do with 3U.

Yep, the water combat is really what pushed me to get the Wii U version, with that gone I dont think there will be an issue.

I will miss a lot of things about the console version, having it on the big screen was awesome, same with having built in voice chat and proper sticks.

I actually forget to use the r-stick due to habit. I spent way to much time on MHF1-FU and the 3DS version of 3U. I still move the camera with my thumb on the d-pad. Camera was never an issue for me, its the font on the Wii U version that I have issues with really.

Nachos

Hey, if anyone here is looking for an NA MH4U demo code and wants to avoid the trainwreck of a thread in the gaming side, quote this post.

GeekyDad

Whelp, got two copies pre-ordered. Though I started out on the 3DS version of 3U, I sure got used to my nice big screen fast. I will miss it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pretty much, yeah, along with having good instincts about stagger limits. It's all in the timing.

It's actually less difficult than you'd imagine because by the time you're good enough to actually do it consistently your weapon is probably strong enough that one fully charged hit will do the job to almost every monster.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Time Zone will be eastern. Time is whenever we can get 1 or 2 people good enough to put a hurting on Abyssal Lagi.

This is literally my last hurrah with the game. I've made incredible progress in the past few days getting the rest of the top tier Great Swords. Now all I need are three pieces of Abyssal Lagi armor.

Top Bottom