• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

tuffy

One system transfer later and I'm all set.

Bit out of practice, but I'll probably remember A.Lagi's moves soon enough.

Pila

Sorry for missing it, my time zone is at fault :/ hope you guys had fun!

Just in case some european hunter needs help, I'm always game. :)

Today I'll be playing online with a friend of mine who lives abroad, he got the Wii U following the Mario Kart hype but he wants to try MH since that time when I told him how much I love it. Hope he likes the thing ^^ it's been a while since the last time I hunted with a newcomer, hopefully I'll be good at showing him the game. I just don't want to kill low-rank monsters in five minutes, that's a bad thing to do while playing with a new guy. I hope to get him hooked to the series!

GeekyDad

This is so cool:

GOaaIxK.png

Was retweeted on the official MH Twitter. I want that so bad.

javadoze

Although I kinda regret not reaching G rank in MH3U, I feel like I can't quite go back after trying MH4U. Plus, I'm excited to experience the game online when it releases.

Pila

I think my friend liked the hunt yesterday, having voice chat is quite good for explaining basic stuff.

When he entered the room he couldn't pick up quests because he was HR0, took me like five minutes to realize he had to talk to the guild drunkie in order to reach HR1 and being able to join me >< totally forgot about this HR0 thing... it was fun, Ian kicked his ass pretty hard. :p

SuperSah

Banned
YEAAHHH.

After six or so attempts, I managed to solo Ivory Lagi in the port for HR5 status!

Very proud of myself, that was a brutal one. His super saiyan charge attack is almost an insta-OHKO.

Shengar

So, I just completed Throne of the Abyss, twice, with a dark dragongem as a proof but the game won't let me proceed to G rank. What happened here? :(

ohlawd

No, it was the host.

it has to be you

upgrading to the next rank requires you to be the one to put your urgent quest

if four scrubs at HR 7 need to fight Dire Miralis for HR8+, DM has to be bought four times with each player putting up their own urgent quest. it's how it is

Shengar

it has to be you

upgrading to the next rank requires you to be the one to put your urgent quest

if four scrubs at HR 7 need to fight Dire Miralis for HR8+, DM has to be bought four times with each player putting up their own urgent quest. it's how it is

I see, so that how it is.
To be honest, last night was my first online session with MH, and I'm soloing through the HR until I see "Goldbeard Ceadeus" as the urgent quest for G Rank. Then I said "screw it" and play for almost 7 hours straight lol

ohlawd

I see, so that how it is.
To be honest, last night was my first online session with MH, and I'm soloing through the HR until I see "Goldbeard Ceadeus" as the urgent quest for G Rank. Then I said "screw it" and play for almost 7 hours straight lol

there's no loss to fighting Goldy. That thing gives out the best starter armor for G and provides excellent money from selling extra parts

online's addicting, I hear you. No knock to single player but I can play twice as long when playing online, even with randoms

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My entire money supply is goldy parts. I nearly fainted when I realized I had two and a half stacks of scales and how much they were worth.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I was screwing around with SnS in 3U last night since I am strongly considering maining SnS on MH4U's release now that it has that absolutely bad ass charge attack loop.

3U's SnS is a lot of fun and I was trying some goofy stuff, like with the narga SnS + Giggi X set, slotted for Expert +2

Which gives me

Awaken
Status Attack +2
Razor Sharp
Expert +2

and Element attack down (lol) Once I get a better talisman I might do like Evade dist or something but for now expert 2 is great, especially since the narga weapon has so much natural affinity, everything is a monster crit that applies poison.

What I was wondering though was, what if I did this with the narga switch axe? That also awakens to poison, and I've heard the narga switch axe line is generally considered to be the best switch axes in the game.

Thoughts?

tuffy

What I was wondering though was, what if I did this with the narga switch axe? That also awakens to poison, and I've heard the narga switch axe line is generally considered to be the best switch axes in the game.

Thoughts?
The lucent narga switch axe is pretty much the best in the game and I use either a Giggi X set with it for monsters that take a ton of poison damage (like Diablos) or Miralis with critical eye +3 for anything else. Not needing the expensive sharpness +1 skill is very nice.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The lucent narga switch axe is pretty much the best in the game and I use either a Giggi X set with it for monsters that take a ton of poison damage (like Diablos) or Miralis with critical eye +3 for anything else. Not needing the expensive sharpness +1 skill is very nice.

Awesome! I am totally gonna build a narga swax tonight then.

That should be a blast.

Shengar

It seems my karma paid off with helping randoms since I just got a Dark and Deep Dragongem from one hunt
so_good.gif

My goal now in "finishing" the game now adds Helios X to the to-do list. That 5 Earth Dragongem and 18 Goldy beard looks like a pain in the ass though.

Xeteh

A couple quick questions and sorry if they've been asked.

Is this game a good choice for someone new to the series? And will I be able to get a decent experience playing solo? I don't know people who play MH and I'm not a fan of playing multiplayer when I don't know what I'm doing so I'd likely stick to myself.

Only game I've really played in this style is Freedom Wars and I don't know if that really compares.

Thanks!

tuffy

Is this game a good choice for someone new to the series? And will I be able to get a decent experience playing solo? I don't know people who play MH and I'm not a fan of playing multiplayer when I don't know what I'm doing so I'd likely stick to myself.
I was able to figure it out starting with 3 Ultimate, so I'm sure anyone can. There's plenty of tutorial-style quests at the beginning designed to bring new players up to speed by introducing new concepts a little at a time. Stick with it and you'll be hunting big monsters in no time.

Though everything in the game can be tackled alone, there's almost 120 quests which can only be done in single-player mode and are balanced for one person. Even just doing those will give you a full game's worth of content, complete with a rudimentary storyline, end credits and so on.

Xeteh

I was able to figure it out starting with 3 Ultimate, so I'm sure anyone can. There's plenty of tutorial-style quests at the beginning designed to bring new players up to speed by introducing new concepts a little at a time. Stick with it and you'll be hunting big monsters in no time.

Though everything in the game can be tackled alone, there's almost 120 quests which can only be done in single-player mode and are balanced for one person. Even just doing those will give you a full game's worth of content, complete with a rudimentary storyline, end credits and so on.

Alright cool, thanks. I was a bit worried because I know the game is daunting so I wasn't sure if it would be an easy entry. Thanks for the reply!

NewGame

Banned
Having Goldbeard right at the start of MH3U made the whole rank turbo ez. Instant armour set with sharpness +1 and HG earplugs? Laughing.

Also Goldbeard is hilariously easy with a pierce gun. Solo'd that g rank sucka in 6 minutes with the diablozoka.

I think 4U might be a bit harder to power through though. Jaggis and Lagombis in grank. :

I should be able to lend a hand in a couple hours or so. What sort of parts do you need?

Barioth and Sand Barioth pieces (3 spikes and an Amber Tusk, I think). I could also use a Rathalos Ruby and Brachydios gem, but those are too rare for me to ask that. I want to hit G-rank (still just barely HR4) so I can get better armor than my Yamato stuff.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Barioth and Sand Barioth pieces (3 spikes and an Amber Tusk, I think). I could also use a Rathalos Ruby and Brachydios gem, but those are too rare for me to ask that. I want to hit G-rank (still just barely HR4) so I can get better armor than my Yamato stuff.

What weps are you using? Because if you wanna just blast through HR I would definitely recommend building a Rath Soul set. That armor set is insanely versatile.

What weps are you using? Because if you wanna just blast through HR I would definitely recommend building a Rath Soul set. That armor set is insanely versatile.

Dual Blades. My main two armors at this point are the Yamato and Zinogre sets.

Switch between

Jhen:
Speed Sharpening
Defense (M or L)
Focus (great for the stamina)

and

Zinogre:
Latent Power (+1 or +2)
Razor Sharp (good for the dullest dual blades)
Thunder Attack +1

Alt. Negate Poison, total Ice resistance, boosted attack...

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I still feel like dual blades would work better with rath soul at high rank / early g rank.

Expert +2 (easily gemmed to +3)
Hearing
Razorsharp

You can gem out the penalty to health easily and then take your best talisman and gem in the rest of the skills on that thing, or push it to HG earplugs.

Affinity works really well on dual blades and have expert+3 worth of additional affinity is nuts!

Razorsharp is pretty awesome for dualblades as I am sure you've noticed because DB's go through sharpness insanely quick.

Earplug are great as they keep your up time on the boss very constant as well as give you good periods of free hits (like during a roar).

But I'm just a bit biased because I used Rath Soul all throughout high rank and a ton of early g-rank with dual blades, a switch axe, a long sword, a great sword and even with a hammer. All I really would do was swap out the decorations and talisman, like if I was using my GS I would grab a different talisman and gem for focus and or sheathing.

That's fair. I'd need two Rath Rubies and three Azure Rath tails to make it, though. And I already need a Rath Ruby to upgrade a pair of dual blades...

daxy

I've currently got an XL but I'm considering trading it in for a regular sized New 3DS. For those of you who own one or play MH on the regular 3DS, do you ever find the screen size lacking during gameplay? Or, if you have/had both a regular and XL model, did you notice a significant difference between the two? I imagine this issue is most pronounced with MH, what with all the stuff going on at any given moment.

I've currently got an XL but I'm considering trading it in for a regular sized New 3DS. For those of you who own one or play MH on the regular 3DS, do you ever find the screen size lacking during gameplay? Or, if you have/had both a regular and XL model, did you notice a significant difference between the two? I imagine this issue is most pronounced with MH, what with all the stuff going on at any given moment.

Eh, it's not too bad (from the demos I've played) but the Wii U version has definitely spoiled me.

----

Ready when you guys are - NNID is in my profile.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
That's fair. I'd need two Rath Rubies and three Azure Rath tails to make it, though. And I already need a Rath Ruby to upgrade a pair of dual blades...

Well if you're up to farming some HR azure rathalos hit me up before midnight EST

My hunter is good to go just post in the thread with room info.

Shengar

For XL, the screen size is enough for me. The problem posed by the handheld is not screen siz. No matter where you play Duramboros body will most likely block your view anyway. It's ergonomic that gives me trouble the most, as if I fighting handcramp not monsters.

One thing I'll miss from MH3U is 7 hours of hunting session online without cramp and charging.

Cerity

Started playing again to stave off some of the hype for MH4U, 12 hours in and back into that madness with these ian plate drops.

tuffy

Question I hope someone can answer since it doesn't seem there's on OT for it yet: does MH4U have the same bullshit charm brackets you're put in depending on what time/day you create your file?
No. The random "table" you're on changes every time you start the game; it's no longer fixed based on when you create your hunter.

ngower

Is anyone still playing MH3U on 3DS? I re-downloaded it on my new 3DS XL after a several-month gap without a 3DS. Don't really think I'm gonna bite on MH4U now (other games I'd rather get first) but wouldn't mind diving back into MH3U. Just wondering if anyone's still playing and if it's worth starting up a save file to play with others?

[EDIT] Never mind, remembered that MH3U was online on Wii U only!

Deband

Any gaffers still playing this one? I been at it again after buying a new 3ds and 4, the Wii U one is just so much comfier.

Heh. I actually picked this back up after putting in some serious time into 4U. I can't believe I barely reached High rank in offline in this! I've still got some ways to go. One thing's certain, though: there's going to be a lot of MH in my future, and that is not a bad thing at all.

Going from the speedy Insect Glaive to the slow and clunky Hunting Horn isn't as jarring as I thought it'd be. Feels good playing 3U again. I'll probably be hopping back and forth between the two.

I'm currently HR4. Anyone here around that?

Top Bottom