• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Kyzon

Well I'm watching Batman and Robin. Anyone wanna hunt with me? :p

Making my usual room Kyzgaf in free3/lobby9

no pass

I forged a new SA from the Colorful Beasts quest. It looks pretty cool.

Also, I finally got a Narga Medulla. Now I'm wondering if I should use it to make the Hidden' Dual Blades or Switch Axe...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Bam, triple Gobul/Wroggi/Lagi Canteen Quest done!

I'm not all that scared of water combat anymore, even with a CPP-less 3DS. Target cam actually makes it workable.

Just 5 more quests in 7★ and 8★ (the only one I have left in 7★ is Jhen, and I'm nervous about facing him since he's so different.) Saving Brachy for last even though I've killed him online a couple times (gotta thank him for the Dios Blade.)

Playtime jumped 7 hours since yesterday, lol.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well Moga Village is offline, online quests are in the harbor place and you can do the online quests offline as well.

Oh, that's perfect. I'll probably get acclimated with some quests offline, and then hop online after that.

Codeblue

Just had a pretty good time with two friends and some random dude. We all set two Barrel Bomb L+'s by a trapped Uragaan and ran away thinking someone else would detonate, by the time we realized we were too far out and just as someone was running back to kick the bombs a lone Rhenoplos charges in from the side straight into the bombs, breaks 'Gaans face and falls over dead.

If there were a salute gesture, I would have done it.

blackflag

I might just have to craft myself a set of this equipment. O_O

I have a Charmer+5 talisman, I hope that's good enough...

It is. I crafted it tonight and you need +4 charmer. I only have +3 but its still great for gathering until I get a better charmer talisman

Manned up and starting farming Uragaan for Lava Nuggets. I keep getting Uragaan Rubies from rewards and everything but nuggets from mining.

fgih6CE.jpg

Gloam

Man, look at those armour sets. I just finished my Jaggi set and was so pleased but looking at these, oh man...

DaBoss

You need gems and a Charmer talisman though, although it's still good miner set without Charm Chaser.

Damn, dat Leather armor like godness.

Manned up and starting farming Uragaan for Lava Nuggets. I keep getting Uragaan Rubies from rewards and everything but nuggets from mining.

fgih6CE.jpg

I find it odd, Uragaan Rubies were the one things that were generous to me in MHTri, now I haven't gotten a single one yet.

ramyeon

fgih6CE.jpg
Wow that sucks. I pretty much only get nuggets from mining - they're great for village resources points anyway.

ryz

Wow that sucks. I pretty much only get nuggets from mining - they're great for village resources points anyway.

Me too. Got up to 8 from both Agnaktor and Uragaan. On top of mining his back - for a total of 12 in one run Oo

ryz

Got the complete Arzuros X set, fully gemmed. Now i just need a +4 Charmer talisman..

On a different note.. Do you guys use Barrel Bombs? Are they useful in G rank? I never used them and just read that Bounce Bombs will rocket forward (instead of upward) underwater making them pretty useful against Lagi and Plesioth.

ramyeon

Got the complete Arzuros X set, fully gemmed. Now i just need a +4 Charmer talisman..

On a different note.. Do you guys use Barrel Bombs? Are they useful in G rank? I never used them and just read that Bounce Bombs will rocket forward (instead of upward) underwater making them pretty useful against Lagi and Plesioth.
I always take barrel bombs and drugged meat to fights with Jho. Also always take the bombs to fights with Nibelsnarf, if only because it makes it easy to fish him out and stun him.

Mupod

Bombs scale poorly in g-rank - still useful but against something like Rust Duramboros it's not even a scratch in his hp. Nice on multi monster arena quests though, since their HP is cut and it's still easy/safe to land hits with bombs. Helped me a lot in Mark of a Hero, Brachy wouldn't leave me alone but he was happy to detonate my bombs in Rathalos' face.

Dunno in this game but barrel bombs are just useless in G-Rank in MHFU. White Fatalis was an exception because of his armor mode which reduced all non-explosive damage by 90%.

Yeah. Even the starting Leather set is great for farming with some gems/decent charm (Gathering Speed Up, Gathering+2, Divine Whim). It just gets replaced because of Charm Hunter. You're not really gonna get hit and you don't even need cool drinks for volcano runs.

Korosenai

What's the best way to get fertile mud from a Barroth? I tried googling it but it just says break the mud on its body. Is there an easy way to do this? Like using a weapon with a certain element or using traps to reach it easier? Every time it drops a shiny it's always a wyvern tear.

Fewr

But it's for farming. Don't know why anyone would want defense up. If you need it get it from meals.
I'm going through single player 6-7 star quests, Arzuros is my armor of choice because I get DefUp L plus food DefUp. It's probably not the ideal set I could use, and definitely won't be what I'll use in the future, but so far it works great.

Ridley327

OT2 title is even better than the first one!

Good hunts last night, Kyzon and Mileena; it was hilarious to hear Mileena complain about someone not being around to cook food for him, lol.

Getting a Mantle off that last Rathian hunt was preeeeeeeetty awesome; now that I have it, I expect that I will need to kill about 50 Rathalos to get his Mantle for my Rathian GS that has an unpronounceable name.

Mupod

What's the best way to get fertile mud from a Barroth? I tried googling it but it just says break the mud on its body. Is there an easy way to do this? Like using a weapon with a certain element or using traps to reach it easier? Every time it drops a shiny it's always a wyvern tear.

Water element will break the mud slightly easier. It's a pretty low chance for the shiny to be fertile mud iirc. Capturing will give you a chance at it, but I bet most of what you get will be a quest reward (top box). Try eating for Lucky/Ultra Lucky cat.

I remember one of the locations you can send the fishing boats tends to bring back fertile mud, but it might be the level 3 hunting one which could be problematic.

I'm going through single player 6-7 star quests, Arzuros is my armor of choice because I get DefUp L plus food DefUp. It's probably not the ideal set I could use, and definitely won't be what I'll use in the future, but so far it works great.

Not exactly optimal though. Those skills don't help at all for non-combat farming. If you're farming monsters... you'll definitely want to improve your fighting so you can get more offensive skills to cut your farming time.

Mupod

Defense should never be your priority. If you want defensive skills look into evasion abilities. Volvidon, barioth and nargacuga armor have what you need.

If you're dead set on maxing defense in 7* village quests, unlock Jhen Mohran and learn how to beat him. His set rivals g-rank armor in terms of defense and actually has some other useful skills.

Fewr

Not exactly optimal though. Those skills don't help at all for non-combat farming. If you're farming monsters... you'll definitely want to improve your fighting so you can get more offensive skills to cut your farming time.
I see what you mean, but I'm using this on purpose to spend more time learning patterns rather than just rushing in. I spend time choosing skills after I have learned them.

gotee12

Does anyone know of a good spot to find the Felyne Kitchen skills updated to MH3U? The only ones I can find are for past games.

Ultratech

Did the DLC quest last night with Ura/Diablos/Steel Ura/Blk Diablos...holy crap.

Ura and Diablos aren't too bad, but Steel Ura and Black Diablos can be troublesome. Especially when Black Diablos gets mad...its speed is horrifying!

Did have a funny moment where I killed a Steel Ura by poking it in the tail while it was spewing stinky gas. Have to laugh that it has the same weakness as Gravios when doing the gas attack.

But I did manage to get some Medal Vouchers to make the Dragon's Roar SA. Just need 3 more. ;_;

Haha, I was playing with some gaffers last week, and I kicked a Sand Barioth in the teeth. He fell over and died. We laughed too hard at that.

That's pretty hilarious.

Reminds me of when I killed a charging Barroth by slashing it in the head mid-charge.

Another funny moment I had was when we did some L.Narga last night, I threw a Flash Bomb just as it leaped into the air.
Needless to say, the Flash Bomb got him mid-air and he fell like a sack of rocks. Was too funny.

Ridley327

Water element will break the mud slightly easier. It's a pretty low chance for the shiny to be fertile mud iirc. Capturing will give you a chance at it, but I bet most of what you get will be a quest reward (top box). Try eating for Lucky/Ultra Lucky cat.

I remember one of the locations you can send the fishing boats tends to bring back fertile mud, but it might be the level 3 hunting one which could be problematic.

I think it's level 2 for Fertile Mud; level 3 gets you Pale Extracts.

ryz

Those monster hunter moments are golden. I had one yesterday: I was fooling around with the GS (never really used it) on the 2x volvi, 2x jaggi g rank quest, to get comfortable timing level 3 charges.

Anyway, at some point Volvidon tripped and landed on his back. I positioned myself right in front of him, charge, hit him and combo'ed into the upward swing where the GS is thrown overhead, behind the back. In the same exact moment Volvi stood up and jumped over me, but i hit him mid-air with the tip of my GS. He fell to the ground like brick, where i could finish him off with another 3-level charge.

I love the GS already!

DaBoss

This happened yesterday, I was doing the Ivory Lagiacrus + Lagiacrus quest and killed Lagiacrus. So I was working on Ivory Lagiacrus, and at one moment, Ivory Lagiacrus was going to go into Area 3 (the water only area), but right before it got to the exit, a friendly neighbourly Royal Ludroth appeared that came right from Area 3. The funny thing about it is the fact it was staying in that spot trying to move towards me, while Ivory Lagiacrus was trying to leave Area 4 to go to Area 3. They were both stuck walking in place lol. I just ended up attacking Ivory Lagiacrus' tail and it eventually got cut off.

I've been having more funny moments in MH3U than MHTri.

Kyzon

OT2 title is even better than the first one!

Good hunts last night, Kyzon and Mileena; it was hilarious to hear Mileena complain about someone not being around to cook food for him, lol.

Getting a Mantle off that last Rathian hunt was preeeeeeeetty awesome; now that I have it, I expect that I will need to kill about 50 Rathalos to get his Mantle for my Rathian GS that has an unpronounceable name.

Haha, that was pretty awesome. Those upswings from my girlfriend earlier on were pretty funny because I heard her in the bedroom going SOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY~

Raide

All the great stuff in MH just reminds me that we need the video clipping and uploading services that the PS4 and 720 are supposed to have. Had some great "shooting monsters with a bow as they charge at me" flinch moments. :D

Mupod

I've wanted replays in MH games so bad since forever. At least there was a screenshot plugin on the PSP if you had CFW.

fataliskill.jpg

Raide

I only just found out with MH on the Wii-U that I can boot up the browser while in-game, check something out and then jump back into the game. Very handy thing!

Beats

Hmm. So, do other weapons have knockback protection/wind resistance during attacks other than the Hunting Horn? Ever since I started using one I haven't had to worry too much about other people hitting me (unless it's a super pound), and you pretty much don't flinch if a monster hits you with a minor attack.

Only ones I can think of are charging with Greatsword, and the super pound with the Hammer.

Top Bottom